Author Topic: Justin Harris Interview.  (Read 16726 times)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Re: Justin Harris Interview.
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 11:39:25 AM »
Inspiring guy, not for nothing we labelled him as Squad approved. a very hard worker, lot of people can learn from his work ethic.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 12:08:52 PM »
Thank you Matt. 

I had a great time at the powerlifting meet, and can't wait to give it another go. 

If anyone here is interested in powerlifting, and doesn't yet know about the site, www.elitefts.com is a good site devoted to powerlifting, and the strength sports. 

I'm on the Q&A panel there, should anyone want to ask me a nutrition question directly.

www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 12:10:44 PM »
Thank you Matt. 

I had a great time at the powerlifting meet, and can't wait to give it another go. 

If anyone here is interested in powerlifting, and doesn't yet know about the site, www.elitefts.com is a good site devoted to powerlifting, and the strength sports. 

I'm on the Q&A panel there, should anyone want to ask me a nutrition question directly.

Good to have you here, man!
HAHA, RON.....

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 12:15:38 PM »
This is why mayhem approved doesn't mean anything compared to squad approved.  Although both boards have their vices, you can be sure that if getbig endorses anyone it is for a damn good reason.  Getting over 2,000 at a meet is something that a lot of people couldn't do with all the training and drugs in the world.  That is some sick poundage.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 12:39:49 PM »
Justins strength is very impressive and he seems like a competitive guy, however, after seeing some of his recent pix I believe the powerlifting or strength type training has not done a great amount of benefit to his physique from last year.

He is a good thick bodybuilder, but in bodybuilding there is a point were that become a hinderance and not a benifit.

The muscle begin to have a "plain" look.  They do have density, but lack the real quality lots of reps bring to a bodybuilding physique.

A bodybuilder that uses heavy weights but always maintains a higher repetition scheme will usually posses a look that JUMPS oput when the muscle flex. 
A power bodybuilder will usually posses a physique that looks dense and thick but does little when flexed and lacks the jump of the higher reps trained guy.  The lumbars are usually too thick and over shadow the rest of the back....  The glutes get too "round" and don't have the angled shape, the arms get a plain, blocky look and the body in general lacks detail, not the detail that comes from dieting just detail and depth of separation (shoulders, etc) that comes from more reps.
All that with the understanding that EVERYONE should develop a physique with heavy weights and basic movements, but once you established that you must move on and remember you are a bodybuilder and it is NOT about challenging yourself with max weight every time you are in a gym.

With this said, Justin is a very good bodybuilder, I'm just refering to the recent pix and the year of training or since the last pix I saw of him.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 12:44:30 PM »
Justins strength is very impressive and he seems like a competitive guy, however, after seeing some of his recent pix I believe the powerlifting or strength type training has not done a great amount of benefit to his physique from last year.

He is a good thick bodybuilder, but in bodybuilding there is a point were that become a hinderance and not a benifit.

The muscle begin to have a "plain" look.  They do have density, but lack the real quality lots of reps bring to a bodybuilding physique.

A bodybuilder that uses heavy weights but always maintains a higher repetition scheme will usually posses a look that JUMPS oput when the muscle flex. 
A power bodybuilder will usually posses a physique that looks dense and thick but does little when flexed and lacks the jump of the higher reps trained guy.  The lumbars are usually too thick and over shadow the rest of the back....
All that with the understanding that EVERYONE should develop a physique with heavy weights and basic movements, but once you established that you must move on and remember you are a bodybuilder and it is NOT about challenging yourself with max weight every time you are in a gym.

With this said, Justin is a very good bodybuilder, I'm just refering to the recent pix and the year of training or since the last pix I saw of him.

::)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
Hey Dave hows it going? i just posted some brazilian ass in the female bodybuilder thread!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 12:46:24 PM »
Hey Dave hows it going? i just posted some brazilian ass in the female bodybuilder thread!
where is the thread stud?

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V

troponin

• Getbig III
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »

A power bodybuilder will usually posses a physique that looks dense and thick but does little when flexed and lacks the jump of the higher reps trained guy.  The lumbars are usually too thick and over shadow the rest of the back....  The glutes get too "round" and don't have the angled shape, the arms get a plain, blocky look and the body in general lacks detail, not the detail that comes from dieting just detail and depth of separation (shoulders, etc) that comes from more reps.

I appreciate the well thought out comments, and constructive criticism. 

The fact that I competed in a powerlifting meet may be a bit misleading however.  I didn't actually train as a powerlifter for the meet. 
I have been interested in powerlifting for some time, and have often thought about attempting a meet.  I spoke with some powerlifters about a month before my meet, and decided to do the meet. 
But, my training never changed.  So, I continued my normal bodybuilding training, which admittedly is heavy, and fairly basic. 

My progress has been pretty slow and steady from day one.  I've gained about 10lbs a year since I started training.  I've gained about 15lbs a year of contest weight since I began competiting, but that can likely be attributed to better dieting practices, and less muscle loss when dieting than extra muscle gain. 

But, at the amateur level, none of us are really true 'freaks.'  Those come around rarely (Phil Heath). 
So, in the end it comes down to getting in shape for the show, and seeing where you stand, which is my goal for the USA's this year. 

All you can really control is your conditioning.  If I can nail that, I will get a good grasp on where I stand at the pro-qualifying level. 
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 02:03:41 PM »
From what I've seen you have been very successful with your conditioning and I'm sure this time will be no different.

Regardless, Justin, yes, my comments are only based on my opinion and ONLY constructive and in no way negative, thanks for seeing so.

Those weights are incredibly impressive and I only wish you luck. 

troponin

• Getbig III
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2007, 02:18:54 PM »
From what I've seen you have been very successful with your conditioning and I'm sure this time will be no different.

Regardless, Justin, yes, my comments are only based on my opinion and ONLY constructive and in no way negative, thanks for seeing so.

Those weights are incredibly impressive and I only wish you luck. 

Thanks. 
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

Stavios

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2007, 04:55:24 PM »
class act all the way

Question for you Justin: When Steve got to 280 lbs for the first time how did he eat ? I am guessing that he force feeded himself with a lot of good food while adding junk over it too ?
I plan on packing on a lot of weight and force feed myself for 6-8 months after my show do you think it will be benefic ?

thanks

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2007, 04:57:00 PM »
troponin: your a hard worker and a strong bro. But bro, do a a high volume 5 day split instead and you will grow more . maybe that will make you go pro bro!

troponin

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2007, 05:11:14 PM »
class act all the way

Question for you Justin: When Steve got to 280 lbs for the first time how did he eat ? I am guessing that he force feeded himself with a lot of good food while adding junk over it too ?
I plan on packing on a lot of weight and force feed myself for 6-8 months after my show do you think it will be benefic ?

thanks

Steve can be incredibly dedicated with his diet. 
Fortunately for him, he is pretty blessed in the ability to maintain a good level of bodyfat even with very high calories. 

For the most part, he would have a few VERY high carb days each week.  On these days, he would load up on carbs and calories, and really push things as far as food volume, and specifically carbohydrate volume.

On the other days, the carbs would be backed off slightly, protein would remain high, and he would have some 'fun' food throughout the day. 

I don't believe in force feeding, especially force feeding junk. 
If you're dieting, your mind is telling you how much you want to eat, but you'll feel more sane when the show is over.

I typically recommend clients go back into a good, clean, high calorie diet after a show for about 4 weeks.  During this time insulin sensitivity is high, bodyfat is low, and hunger is VERY high. 
This essentially means you're in an optimal environment for growth through proper eating. 

After about 4 weeks of this approach, I will have people diet down for a bit, and then go into their normal offseason approach after the diet. 

By this time, they will be quite lean from the diet, and much larger than if they had started their offseason work after the show.
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

Stavios

« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2007, 05:14:14 PM »
thanks a lot for the tips Justin !

troponin

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 05:18:22 PM »
troponin: your a hard worker and a strong bro. But bro, do a a high volume 5 day split instead and you will grow more . maybe that will make you go pro bro!

I appreciate the advice.  

I've been training for nearly 14 years.  Only the last 4 have been entirely geared towards bodybuilding training, but over 14 years I've tried just about everything with training.  

For me, I have to do what I enjoy.  I have a lot on my plate.  I still work full time, I run my nutrition business, my supplement website, work for Optimum Nutrition, write articles on occasion for musculardevelopment.com, write for elitefts.com, and try to be a good husband and father.  
Training is my only "me" time each day.  I have to do what I enjoy during that time.  For me, that is heavy, hard training.  It is the only type of training that gets me motivated to go to the gym.  

I have no problem understanding that there are many different training programs that produce results, or even that my particular approach may not be the best.  But, to put the most effort, and get the most return, I choose to do what I enjoy.  

Even in light training with cables was shown to be the most effective form of training for hypertrophy, it wouldn't be the most effective for me, because I wouldn't enjoy training....and I wouldn't be able to put my all into it.

Again, I appreciate the comments.  
I don't compete to step on stage, like anyone who is a competitor, I do it because I want to be better than before, so I will definitely consider adding more volume training to my workouts.  
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

PRO_Crastinator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2007, 07:25:26 PM »
I appreciate the advice.  

I've been training for nearly 14 years.  Only the last 4 have been entirely geared towards bodybuilding training, but over 14 years I've tried just about everything with training.  

For me, I have to do what I enjoy.  I have a lot on my plate.  I still work full time, I run my nutrition business, my supplement website, work for Optimum Nutrition, write articles on occasion for musculardevelopment.com, write for elitefts.com, and try to be a good husband and father.  
Training is my only "me" time each day.  I have to do what I enjoy during that time.  For me, that is heavy, hard training.  It is the only type of training that gets me motivated to go to the gym.  

I have no problem understanding that there are many different training programs that produce results, or even that my particular approach may not be the best.  But, to put the most effort, and get the most return, I choose to do what I enjoy.  

Even in light training with cables was shown to be the most effective form of training for hypertrophy, it wouldn't be the most effective for me, because I wouldn't enjoy training....and I wouldn't be able to put my all into it.

Again, I appreciate the comments.  
I don't compete to step on stage, like anyone who is a competitor, I do it because I want to be better than before, so I will definitely consider adding more volume training to my workouts.  

Ehh just stick with DC training and don't listen to that guy.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: May 18, 2007, 07:26:44 PM »
hahahahaha, you tell him "slaveboy", maybe he'll finally get as big as you. ;D

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2007, 03:07:47 PM »
mr harris: the legendary gh15 agrees with me.

use volume!

5 day split and just volumize the shit.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2007, 03:12:09 PM »
Troponin,

Stop using drugs. Your cells are suffering.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2007, 04:15:36 PM »
Troponin,

Stop using drugs. Your cells are suffering.

As a general statement, obviously I agree that juicing at the top amateur and professional levels are not conducive to good health per se.  But as a health professional I suspect that Justin is a little more conscious of side effects than your average juicer who sticks "whatever" in his ass with no regard to the side effects.  Discuss.

TA - I was also wondering what you mean when you say "all drugs" - are you implying that you would look like Justin or be as strong as him, or look or be as strong as Branch Warren if you did drugs?  ???
Bodybuilding Pro.com

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2007, 09:20:29 PM »
As a general statement, obviously I agree that juicing at the top amateur and professional levels are not conducive to good health per se.  But as a health professional I suspect that Justin is a little more conscious of side effects than your average juicer who sticks "whatever" in his ass with no regard to the side effects.  Discuss.

TA - I was also wondering what you mean when you say "all drugs" - are you implying that you would look like Justin or be as strong as him, or look or be as strong as Branch Warren if you did drugs?  ???
I would never do drugs so that is something we would never know.  With that said, there are enough drugs around and a large variety for anyone to duplicate the size of Justin Harris if they were so inclined to do so.  I wouldn`t look like Justin Harris or anyone. I would look like me at 250-290 lbs plus.

Why anyone would do this to themselves is beyond me.  There is no positive reason to do so health wise.  Those are facts.

Now for an opinion.  In my opinion, there is no drug physique I would EVER want to emulate.  They all suck.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2007, 09:35:45 PM »
I would never do drugs so that is something we would never know.  With that said, there are enough drugs around and a large variety for anyone to duplicate the size of Justin Harris if they were so inclined to do so.  I wouldn`t look like Justin Harris or anyone. I would look like me at 250-290 lbs plus.

Why anyone would do this to themselves is beyond me.  There is no positive reason to do so health wise.  Those are facts.

Now for an opinion.  In my opinion, there is no drug physique I would EVER want to emulate.  They all suck.

I don't know about that - I think Frank Zane and Bob Paris and Sami beat all naturals.

I don't think most people would be nearly as strong as Justin, even juiced to the tits.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2014, 11:25:09 AM »
UPDATE for 2014

Justin Harris and Emmet Browne Train Arms