Author Topic: Pro Bodybuilding sponsorships/ads are a joke!  (Read 3659 times)

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Pro Bodybuilding sponsorships/ads are a joke!
« on: May 13, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
Brian Urlacher wore a Vitamin Water hat for an interview for about 30 seconds, got fined 10,000 dollars and vitamin water paid it.  I wonder if playboys like "teh Blade" get that kinda money for a yearly sponsorship.

EAS has all pro wide receivers and hell, even some biker chick on their ads and their ads run during prime time tv.  I'm guessing they make a little more than "betancourt nutrition".

Coca Cola spends about half of their expense budget every year on advertising, even a 100 years later.  Pepsi isn't far behind.

Is it bullshit marketing, bullshit "reps" or bullshit products that keep the supplement industry a joke?
Deep Tissue Massage

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
Re: Pro Bodybuilding sponsorships/ads are a joke!
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 04:00:58 PM »

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 04:10:38 PM »
Brian Urlacher wore a Vitamin Water hat for an interview for about 30 seconds, got fined 10,000 dollars and vitamin water paid it.  I wonder if playboys like "teh Blade" get that kinda money for a yearly sponsorship.

EAS has all pro wide receivers and hell, even some biker chick on their ads and their ads run during prime time tv.  I'm guessing they make a little more than "betancourt nutrition".

Coca Cola spends about half of their expense budget every year on advertising, even a 100 years later.  Pepsi isn't far behind.

Is it bullshit marketing, bullshit "reps" or bullshit products that keep the supplement industry a joke?

WE know the bbing world is pathetic.

You're talking about legitimate athletes, who make obscene amounts of money.
HAHA, RON.....

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 05:51:40 PM »
WE know the bbing world is pathetic.

You're talking about legitimate athletes, who make obscene amounts of money.

yeah, but they pimp same bullshit supplements as jay cutler & co do too.  maybe the ifbb should take its cues from the section of the population that brings it income (supplement ad companies) rather than the masturbatorial section of old men at ifbb shows.

i'm guessing the attendance of the "ny pro" (ha ha at the name) was around a 100 people.
Deep Tissue Massage

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 05:54:15 PM »

doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that pro bodybuilding gets peanuts in advertising dollars compared to the NFL, NBA, MLB, Nascar, etc., you can't give money when there's none to give, first place at the Olympia or Arnold classic is one quarter's pay for Peyton Manning.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 06:01:57 PM »
doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that pro bodybuilding gets peanuts in advertising dollars compared to the NFL, NBA, MLB, Nascar, etc., you can't give money when there's none to give, first place at the Olympia or Arnold classic is one quarter's pay for Peyton Manning.

everyone seems to forget that outside of the mucle heads on the bodybuilding forums no one cares about this shit

the target demographic is very small..the biggest market for supplements are boys 14-21 that still believe in magic.

bodybuilding will never be mainstream
Here comes the money shot

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 06:04:43 PM »
every couple of months there is a new gimmic..I think the latest one is "nano"...lol

go from 150lbs to 225lbs in 3 months using nano gakic.....everyone knows that they are on gear, why try to hide it?
Here comes the money shot

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 06:29:04 PM »

I would say all of the above. 

I have said it before, that is why I started my company.  People should support companies that sell quality products that actually work as claimed at a reasonable price, not just the companies with the biggest ad budgets (i.e. most venture capital funding them). 
w

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 01:54:02 PM »
I would say all of the above. 

I have said it before, that is why I started my company.  People should support companies that sell quality products that actually work as claimed at a reasonable price, not just the companies with the biggest ad budgets (i.e. most venture capital funding them). 

But, remember that the companies with the big ad budgets got those budgets, because they produced good products. Look at the ads from MuscleTech about 10-12 years ago; Look at them now. Do the same with MET-Rx and you'll get the idea.

In fact, I remember seeing one company (or at least, that company's one product) blow up in a span of about two years. Does the name, Hot Stuff, ring a bell? Back in '89, folks were handing out black-and-white Xerox copies of their ads in Bally and GNC. Within a year or two, Hot Stuff was advertised withing EVERY major bodybuilding magazine in the country. Then came the Hot Stuff knock-offs: Real Strong Stuff, Flex Fire, Muscle Stuff, etc.

Should your company expand and flourish, it's safe to say that your advertising budget will expand as well. Who knows? One day, I could be waiting for GNC to mark down YOUR products, so that I can get them even cheaper (with my Gold Card, to boot) ;D .

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 02:07:07 PM »
But, remember that the companies with the big ad budgets got those budgets, because they produced good products. Look at the ads from MuscleTech about 10-12 years ago; Look at them now. Do the same with MET-Rx and you'll get the idea.

In fact, I remember seeing one company (or at least, that company's one product) blow up in a span of about two years. Does the name, Hot Stuff, ring a bell? Back in '89, folks were handing out black-and-white Xerox copies of their ads in Bally and GNC. Within a year or two, Hot Stuff was advertised withing EVERY major bodybuilding magazine in the country. Then came the Hot Stuff knock-offs: Real Strong Stuff, Flex Fire, Muscle Stuff, etc.

Should your company expand and flourish, it's safe to say that your advertising budget will expand as well. Who knows? One day, I could be waiting for GNC to mark down YOUR products, so that I can get them even cheaper (with my Gold Card, to boot) ;D .

You don't believe in evolution and you expect us to give your posts any credibility?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 02:13:40 PM »

The problem with BB's is their is no one marketing themselves properly.  MMA fighting has been around for less than 15 years.  Yet they are already starting to have retail merchindise sold in major chain stores.  I am working with one of the largest Licensing Groups in the country which is owned by the son of one of the richest men in the world.  They currently have the rights to many NBA, NFL, MLB and WWE athletes.  They are now just starting to get into MMA.  In fact they had a meeting at Walmart corporate last week about introducing the MMA line in EVERY Walmart in the country for the new school year.  We are talking 100's of thousand of dollars in residuals for the signed MMA athletes per year.  No one has done this with BB's.  Why hasn't Weider done this.  Instead they promote and sell Weider products using IFBB pros who don't get paid even for the photo shoot.  If Chic really knoew what he was doing and truly cared about the athletes future he would be getting things like this done.   BB's get used without pay.  Very sad.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 02:31:20 PM »
The problem with BB's is their is no one marketing themselves properly.  MMA fighting has been around for less than 15 years.  Yet they are already starting to have retail merchindise sold in major chain stores.  I am working with one of the largest Licensing Groups in the country which is owned by the son of one of the richest men in the world.  They currently have the rights to many NBA, NFL, MLB and WWE athletes.  They are now just starting to get into MMA.  In fact they had a meeting at Walmart corporate last week about introducing the MMA line in EVERY Walmart in the country for the new school year.  We are talking 100's of thousand of dollars in residuals for the signed MMA athletes per year.  No one has done this with BB's.  Why hasn't Weider done this.  Instead they promote and sell Weider products using IFBB pros who don't get paid even for the photo shoot.  If Chic really knoew what he was doing and truly cared about the athletes future he would be getting things like this done.   BB's get used without pay.  Very sad.

The UFC has a broader audience and mainstream appeal...thus the interest in retail merchandise. There has to be mainstream interest to make mainstream dollars.

If we could ever get more entertianmant into the sport, then we would have a chance to move closer to this...I've already been making suggestions and attempting to make change to bring this to reality...got to walk before you can run...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 03:26:14 PM »
You don't believe in evolution and you expect us to give your posts any credibility?

What does evolution or my view on such (one way or the other) have to do with the topic at hand?

As I said, go back at least a decade and compare the ads for MuscleTech and MET-Rx then to ads for those companies now, and you'll see my point.

Same goes for Hot Stuff. Anyone who followed bodybuilding or bodybuilding supplement back in the late 80s and early 90s can tell you how quickly that supplement became a sensation.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »

Hey! You're clearly ignorant.. Nitro-tech causes a 417% increase in protein synthesis. It's the best supplement ever.

It's actually stupid people that keep them afloat.. Some fatass thinking he's gonna get ripped if he buys an abb lounge and drinks vitamin water.. hahahaha

octobermajik

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
The UFC has a broader audience and mainstream appeal...thus the interest in retail merchandise. There has to be mainstream interest to make mainstream dollars.

If we could ever get more entertianmant into the sport, then we would have a chance to move closer to this...I've already been making suggestions and attempting to make change to bring this to reality...got to walk before you can run...

Chick's right on here, but to me, the only way you make this sport "entertaining" to the fans now is by losing the gear.

Face it, a LOT of BB'rs lose a LOT of credibility for what they accomplish because of the correct perception that they wouldn't get to where they are, or have the physique they do, because they're on the gear. They can't relate to the common guy because of that very fact. If the guys in the mags and the ads actually did achieve and maintain their physiques with training, nutrition, and supplementation bought from the brick and mortar store, then people might take interest because, theoretically, if they put in the work (genetics aside), they might get the same,or similar results themselves. Most often than not, they won't, but the only obstacle to them getting their is themselves, not no access to gear.

Trying not to make this sound like a rant against steroids, just stating an opinion as to what might make this sport more popular.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »

Aren't you the one who took credit for having all props eliminated which is part of entertaining.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »
Aren't you the one who took credit for having all props eliminated which is part of entertaining.

Yes...I am. And no...I don't think it makes it more entertaining,

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 04:07:37 PM »
Yes...I am. And no...I don't think it makes it more entertaining,
props are the dumbest thing ever.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 04:14:03 PM »

You're forgetting two minor details:

1) As it relates to MMA and pro wrestling, choreographed or not, watching someone get beat up is a lot more entertaining (to the average Joe) than watching someone pose and flex. Heck, Batista hits most-musculars before his matches, during his ring entrance.

2) The lion's share of supplement consumers ARE NOT BODYBUILDERS and have no interest in bodybuilding, even though bodybuilders are used to advertise supplements. If you were to find 100 guys who use CELL-TECH or NITRO-TECH, I'll go out on a limb and say you'd find maybe 5 to 10 of them, whou could tell you that the blonde guy advertising the stuff is Mr. Olympia. Most people still think that Mr. Universe is the highest title to be had in bodybuilding.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 05:06:04 PM »
if the "gay" factor could be taken out somehow, it might help.

a lot more people work out / weightlift than kick each other in the face, yet way more watch the ufc than bodybuilding.
Deep Tissue Massage

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 05:31:43 PM »

I find that pic quite disturbing

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 06:25:08 PM »

everyone seems to forget that outside of the mucle heads on the bodybuilding forums no one cares about this shit

the target demographic is very small..the biggest market for supplements are boys 14-21 that still believe in magic.

bodybuilding will never be mainstream

Exactly.

HAHA, RON.....

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 08:50:29 PM »
What does evolution or my view on such (one way or the other) have to do with the topic at hand?

Would you give my opinions any credence if I believed 1+1=3, or that the world is flat?

Bodybuilding Pro.com

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2007, 08:53:48 PM »

Props are a horrible idea! They're the dumbest thing ever.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2007, 08:57:46 PM »
Props are a horrible idea! They're the dumbest thing ever.

I have no problem with them for guest posing...but they have no business in professional bodybuilding.