Author Topic: cardio on an empty stomach? is it overated..  (Read 1838 times)

bassmaster

• Getbig II
cardio on an empty stomach? is it overated..
« on: May 16, 2007, 03:35:50 PM »
i usually weight train before cardio so getting a meal in help with energy. my question is even when dieting should that meal be left until after training/cardio days?

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: cardio on an empty stomach? is it overated..
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »
i usually weight train before cardio so getting a meal in help with energy. my question is even when dieting should that meal be left until after training/cardio days?

Eat something pre-workout that's light and will give you energy, rather than a full meal. Fruit.

the choad

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • King Of All Meltdowns
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »
Cardio on an empty stomach can be a benefit if glycogen stores are low enough where you body can tap its fat reserves...

People don't seem to remember that the body can store vast amounts of glycogen in the liver/muscles/bloodstream etc...

If your storing 1200 grams+ of carbs in your  body...And you wake up in the morning, and do 2 hours of cardio on an empty stomach...Guess what it's very likely that you burn only tiny amounts of fat..Your body doesn't like to use fat for energy production when there is plenty of circulating glucose in your system...

bassmaster

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:29:53 AM »
well right now im three weeks into dave P's diet no carb/high protien/moderate fats.
Im sure most of you guys know it, but wanted to know if i could get catabolic if i just trained/cardio on  empty. i was assuming that clen helped in that case/i get the last meal right before bed which is the six high omega eggs  .thanks

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 07:27:04 AM »
well right now im three weeks into dave P's diet no carb/high protien/moderate fats.
Im sure most of you guys know it, but wanted to know if i could get catabolic if i just trained/cardio on  empty. i was assuming that clen helped in that case/i get the last meal right before bed which is the six high omega eggs  .thanks

I think you mean the theory that training on an empty stomach more efficiently causes fat or weight loss. It's only opinion either way, i think it comes down to total nutritional intake per day, not the timing, the rest being psychological. Therefore having something to help a little with energy beforehand that's not terrible for your diet should help, IMO.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 04:25:28 AM »

Let me get this straight, you've been on Dave "Jumbo" Palumbo's diet for 3 weeks and you're eating VERY LOW carbohydrades (less enegry for you) and you want to train on an empty stomach?  How much weight do you want to lose? 

To answer your question, yes, it is highly catabolic.

bassmaster

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »
Let me get this straight, you've been on Dave "Jumbo" Palumbo's diet for 3 weeks and you're eating VERY LOW carbohydrades (less enegry for you) and you want to train on an empty stomach?  How much weight do you want to lose? 

To answer your question, yes, it is highly catabolic.

yea thats what i thought :) near the end of the workout my stomach starts to growl.in my opinion the diets great, if i eat like a normal person i gain weight no matter what.

I think you mean the theory that training on an empty stomach more efficiently causes fat or weight loss. It's only opinion either way, i think it comes down to total nutritional intake per day, not the timing, the rest being psychological. Therefore having something to help a little with energy beforehand that's not terrible for your diet should help, IMO.

thanks for the info pump

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 03:28:24 AM »
Cardio on an empty stomach can be a benefit if glycogen stores are low enough where you body can tap its fat reserves...

People don't seem to remember that the body can store vast amounts of glycogen in the liver/muscles/bloodstream etc...

If your storing 1200 grams+ of carbs in your  body...And you wake up in the morning, and do 2 hours of cardio on an empty stomach...Guess what it's very likely that you burn only tiny amounts of fat..Your body doesn't like to use fat for energy production when there is plenty of circulating glucose in your system...

You'll be lucky if your body can store 200 gr of glycogen

That's why those who have advanced in their nutritional thinking know that carbs are the least important macronutrient