Author Topic: Torn Meniscus  (Read 2311 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Torn Meniscus
« on: May 23, 2007, 06:17:20 PM »
Have a torn meniscus in right knee...

Anyone have surgery?

Has it been successful? How long was it before you were back to normal?

The Coach

Re: Torn Meniscus
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 11:10:06 PM »
Had my right knee done 3 years ago, waiting to schedule the left knee in about 2 months. Surgery time about 1 1/2-2 hours, off crutches the next day, walked about a 1/4 mile by day 3-4, day 5 light extentions, 3 weeks later light box squats and easy sled pulling, completly normal after about a month or so.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 10:47:49 AM »
I have heard ramp up time is quick. Did you have your scraped or totally removed?

How long was it before you were lifting heavy or at least comfortable weight?

Birdman

• Getbig III
  • Pump Til You Puke!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:52:44 AM »
Ive had 3 knee surgeries.  My last one was just to  fix a small tear in the meniscus.  My rehab was pretty similar to Coaches. 
Just keep with the rehab (which isnt too bad...its not like an ACL or anything).  You should be back in the gym by the end of the week.  Id say HEAVY lifting is a bit of a process.  Because for me it was somewhat mental.  You want to do squats, but you "hope" nothing happens to the knee.
Id say I was back to heavy leg workouts by 6-8 weeks.

Good luck bro

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 01:01:30 PM »
Thanks to you both. Was rehab done in a PT office or exercises for you to do at home...

Sorry for all the questions....never had any surgeries/injuries..first one in 35 yrs.

The Coach

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 03:11:19 PM »
Thanks to you both. Was rehab done in a PT office or exercises for you to do at home...

Sorry for all the questions....never had any surgeries/injuries..first one in 35 yrs.

For the most part, meniscus is no big thing when it comes to rehab, soon after you get off the crutches, just walking will be rehab enough for about a week then start with light extentions of no more than about 3 sets of 5 reps with about 5lbs or you can just use an ankle weight of the same weight.