Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 151368 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« on: May 27, 2007, 07:27:57 PM »
The 1977 Teenage Mr. Tarhill was my introduction to bodybuilding. All things considered, I should track down the guy who invited me to that show and kill him.

In the summer of 1982 we made our pilgrimage to Gold’s Gym Venice. Upon walking into the front parking lot, we immediately noticed a black 4x4 upside down, partially blocking the entrance. A strange sight, but no one seemed overly concerned, so we kept walking. As we entered, I saw both Barbarian Brothers arguing with each other about something… turns out, the upside down truck was their's. I went to the pro shop area and they were selling the current Barbarian Brothers poster. I bought the poster and went outside to get a signature. The boys were still arguing over who was at fault for the roll-over, but I stepped in and asked for an autograph. David looked at Peter… Peter looked back at David and then they both looked at me and said “Sure big man, you got a pen?” There we were, David, Peter, me and the upside down truck… I still remember the signature on the poster; "To Tom, The higher you climb, the farther you can see."    You should’ve been there.

I made it back to The Mecca a few times during the next few years. Always a great workout. Always a little memory of bodybuilding. The last workout we had, before I went to the Joint for five years, was at Gold’s Gym Venice. Don’t remember what I trained, but  I do remember looking at the old style peg board, above the water fountain in the front room. On the board, was a 4 x 6 picture of Peter Paul with the most absurd neck pump I had ever seen... 21” minimum, vascular, awesome. I looked around… the coast was clear… I stole the picture.   You should’ve been there.

They had to let me go in 1989, and one of the first things I did, was drive to Venice and train at The Mecca. Soon after that we moved to Santa Monica. My girlfriend was a competitive bodybuilder, and I was racing bicycles, so we were @ Gold’s Venice 25-30 hrs per week…

Don Ross has been my friend since 1981. He had a little office above the posing room, at Gold’s Venice. Great office. One day in 1989, Don, my girlfriend & me, were sitting in the office discussing bodybuilding and it's absurdities. There was a knock on the door… in walks Samir Bannout, 1984 Mr. Olympia (edit 1983 Mr. O). We proceeded to smoke some of Don’s finest northern California sensimilla (seedless & purple). An hour later we came pouring out of Don’s office, smoke billowing, stoned to the hilt.--- A few weeks later, Don and I were out front of Gold's one sunny day and a sand colored Hummer came rolling down Hampton Dr. A big man behind the wheel, smoking a cigar calls out, "Ripper Savage!" Don yells back, "Arnold!!" We keep talking... Don says "Pretty cool huh?" I just smiled.    You should’ve been there.

In 1992 my bodybuilding girlfriend was long gone. Too many injuries and lack of talent had ended my racing career. The couch tour was close and my car's back seat was a poor bed... then one day, Gold’s Gym Manager Darin Lannighan walked by me in the gym and asked, “Hey dude, do you still want a job here?” “Absolutely”, I said.  Darin says, “Cool, be here tomorrow morning at 4am, I’ll get you a key and you’ll be our opener.” I laughed the rest of my workout.     You should've been there.

1992 – 1997. Wow. Sleeping in the back room. Sleeping in the posing room. Having a gang bang in the posing room. Finding an IFBB pro sleeping in the posing room, because he was homeless (that's OK, been there, done that). Watching Brian Regan (A REAL hell raiser) put a .45 in Joe Cosmo’s face at the front desk and watching Joe pee his pants (that happens). Slinging gear over the front counter. Telling Ed Connors that Don Ross was gone  Telling Nessler that Kurt Colbain was dead.  Working the front desk at 4:20am during the Northridge earthquake, and thinking it was funny that everyone was running out of the gym, and then running right back into the gym. Getting drunk with James Caan. Cigar night at Shatzi's (Arnold's rest. on Main St) Hookers for free. Strippers for free. Getting arrested in the 2nd room at Gold’s Venice by LAPD. Comped at every bar in Hollywood (the doorman & bartenders all trained at Gold's Venice).

Teaching movie stars about Clenbuterol (real Stars, not bodybuilding movie stars). Teaching convicts how to pass their drug test. Making $50,000 a year legit, and having a fucking blast doing it. Every year, after the “O”  talking and training with Dorian & Leroy.  Listening to Flex, Dillet , and Cormier,  talking about Dorian and hearing them say, “Fuck, we’re at least a year, maybe two years behind him.” Changing out the floor in the front room and having LAPD show up at 3am to shut down the loud music and party. Sparing with World Champion Dennis Alexio in the kickboxing class.Trying to convince my friend Danny, who was working the entry gate that day, that the "homeless dude" who just came in actually  was Keeanu Reeves. Danny thought it was some bum "who had stolen Keanu's membership". ;D  Taking a break in the front parking lot and watching two Border Brothers steal Tom MaGee's (1984 World Strongest Man) Chevy Z28. ;D Tom asked me. "Tom, why didn't you stop them?" I said, "Tommy, I didn't realize it was your Z28 until they were driving away. Sorry."

Doing 15 minutes worth of tire smoking full-power burnouts, in the front lot @2:30am, while LAPD stood by w/15 cars, and watched, and finally an LAPD Sgt. walked over and said, "Look dude, we're trying to plan a raid on the crackhouse down the street, we're staging in your parking lot across the street, would you please stop doing burnouts!!"  ;D Taking smack from a biker for membership because he didn’t have any cash, and giving it to a strung out hooker (no payback required). Breaking up a fight between Titus and some other idiot in the front room. Finding David Dearth (Who is a very cool dude, and just had a little too much that night) OD’ed on Nubain, sound asleep on the treadmill  Getting called at 3am by numerous bodybuilders, because their girlfriend was OD’ing on GHB and they wanted to know what to do. Having "Candy night" and watching Melissa Coates laugh so hard it made me pee in my pants. Watching a dude (a regular late night lunatic) who left his gym pants at home, try and train in a shirt only, because, "I pulled my shirt down real low and you really couldn't see my sack."  ;D    You should’ve been there.

1997- 2007 pending…

a

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: A little bit of Gold's Venice
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:30:54 PM »
is that your story, Tommy?

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 07:37:09 PM »
Classic, good read. ;D

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »
is that your story, Tommy?

It's mine SF. Sordid and sad, and I wouldn't trade it for anything... well perhaps a hooker and an 8-ball.

Tom
a

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 07:38:15 PM »
It's mine SF. Sordid and sad, and I wouldn't trade it for anything... well perhaps a hooker and an 8-ball.

Tom
good stuff, i wouldn't call it sordid and sad, keep it coming, interesting stuff.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 07:39:25 PM »
post that picture with the 21" neck

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 07:40:20 PM »
The 1977 Teenage Mr. Tarhill was my introduction to bodybuilding. All things considered, I should track down the guy who invited me to that show, and kill him.

In the summer of 1982 we made our pilgrimage to Gold’s Gym Venice. Upon walking into the front parking lot, we immediately noticed a black 4x4 upside down, blocking the entrance. A strange site but no one seemed overly concerned, so we keep walking. As we entered I saw both Barbarian Brothers arguing with each other about something… turns out the upside down truck was theirs. I went into the Pro Shop and they were selling the current Barbarian Brothers poster. I bought the poster and went outside to get a signature. The boys were still arguing over who was at fault for the roll-over, but I stepped in and asked for an autograph. David looked at Peter… Peter looked back at David and then they both looked at me and said “Sure big man, you got a pen?” There we were, David, Peter, me and the upside down truck… You should’ve been there.

I made it back to The Mecca a few times during the next few years. Always a great workout. Always little memory of bodybuilding. The last workout we had, before I went to the joint for 5 years, was at Gold’s Gym Venice. Don’t remember what I trained, but  I do remember looking at the old style peg board, above the water fountain in the front room. On the board, was a 4 x 6 picture of Peter Paul with the most absurd neck pump I had ever seen. 21” minimum, vascular, awesome. I looked around… the coast was clear… I stole the picture. You should’ve been there.

They had to let me go in 1989, and one of the first things I did, was drive to Venice and train at The Mecca. Soon after that we moved to Santa Monica. My girlfriend was a competitive bodybuilder, and I was racing bicycles, so we were @ Gold’s Venice 25-30 per week…

Don Ross had been my friend since 1981. He had a little office above the posing room, at Gold’s Venice. Great office. One day in 1989, Don, me & my girlfriend were sitting in the office discussing bodybuilding and its absurdities. There was a knock on the door… in walks Samir Bannout, 1984 Mr. Olympia. We proceeded to smoke some of Don’s finest northern California sensimilla (seedless & purple). An hour later we came pouring out of Don’s office, smoke billowing, stoned to the tilt. You should’ve been there.

In 1992 my bodybuilding girlfriend was long gone. Too many injuries and lack of talent had ended my racing career. The couch tour was close and Gold’s Gym Manager Darin Lannighan walked by me in the gym and asked, “Hey dude, do you still want  a job here?” “Absolutely”, I said.  Darin says, “Cool, be here tomorrow morning at 4am, I’ll get you a key and you’ll be our opener.” I laughed the rest of my workout. You should've been there.

1992 – 1997. Wow. Sleeping in the back room. Sleeping in the posing room. Having  a gang bang in the posing room. Finding IFBB pros sleeping in the posing room, because they were homeless. Watching Brian Regan put a .45 in Joe Cosmo’s face at the front desk and watching Joe pee his pants. Slinging gear over the front counter. Telling Ed Connors that Don Ross was gone. Telling Nessler that Kurt Colbain was dead.  Working the front deask at 4:20am during the Northridge earthquake, and thinking it was funny that everyone was running out of the gym and then right back in. Getting drunk with James Caan. Hookers for free. Strippers for free. Getting arrested in the 2nd room at Gold’s Venice by LAPD. Comped at every bar in Hollywood.

Teaching movie stars about Clenbuterol. Teaching convicts how to pass their drug test. Making $50,000 a year legit, and having a fucking blast doing it. Every year, after the “O”  talking and traing with Dorian & Leroy.  Listening to Flex, Dillet , and Cormier,  talking about Dorian and hearing them say, “Fuck, we’re at least a year, maybe two years behind him.” Changing out the floor in the front room and having LAPD show up at 3am to shut down the loud music and party. Sparing with World Champion Dennis Alexio in the kickboxing class. Taking smack from a biker for membership because he didn’t have any cash, and giving it to strung out hooker (no payback required). Breaking up a fight between Titus and some idiot in the front room.  Finding David Dearth OD’ed on Nubain, sound asleep on the treadmill. Getting called at 3am by numerous bodybuilders, because their girlfriend was OD’ing on GHB and they wanted to know what to do. Having "Candy night" and watching Melissa Coates laugh so hard it made me pee in my pants. Watching a dude (a regular) who left his gym pants and home, try and train in a shirt only, because, "I pulled it down real low and you really couldn't see my sack." You should’ve been there.

1997- 2007 pending…

haha, ya got some story's Tommy....  yeah that place was a circus.  Would you happen to know Mike yablon?  I think he was also working there during that time.  How about Andy Baum?  Both from NY.  How about Dudley...real nice older man?

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 07:42:41 PM »
"...Would you happen to know Mike yablon?  I think he was also working there during that time.  How about Andy Baum?  Both from NY."

I know them both. I've partied with Andy, and I've worked with Yablon. They are both still my friends, although I haven't seen either in years.

"How about Dudley"  ;D I always liked Dudley. Sure dude was odd, but he was always courteous & well spoken. I enjoyed talking to old Dudley.

T-
a

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 07:44:10 PM »
what ever happened to Darin Lannighan, Tommy, that dude had some huge arms, i remember when he was in all those photos in Power Factor Training.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »
what ever happened to Darin Lannighan, Tommy, that dude had some huge arms, i remember when he was in all those photos in Power Factor Training.

Darin could have been a great IFBB pro. Wife, kids, etc... it didn't work out. He was a skilled Union electrician and he is working in that field today. He still has those vascular arms and is still good looking. His brother Mike, is a real cool cat.
a

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »
Tommy, I'm a bit older but have met most of the "characters" you spoke about in this interesting post. And hundreds of others too.

I don't think I've ever met ya but I knew Don Ross fairly well many years back when he spent time in Hawaii and I can tell you similar "gym stories" that would make the hair on the back of your neck stand on end. Stories like hiding on the gym roof-top smoken a joint of two while a gang of crazed up "muscle fans" ran through the place bearing loaded pictols in search of a couple of the regulars who did them wrong that particular evening in Paradise.

That evening ended up with a bit of violence that ruined a couple of lives forever. And that was really not a rare occurance back in those good old days.

Those were the days when roids were legal and actually "respected" and the users would shoot up in the locker room and use the furthest wall as the designated dart board. The doctors would actually come to the gym to get the "facts" on what worked and what didn't and no one hid their daily dosage.

In fact one competitor decided to become his own personal guini-pig and attempt to load himself up with numerous "cocktails" (roids) in an effort to maintain a "peak" for three consecutive months and then take a seven-day break and get back on his regimented "program". If I recall this right, he was up to 2,100 mg a day and getting spectacular results.... enough so that he won his first contest easily including all bodypart trophies that were common back then and was invited to enter the PRO Show that followed immediately...... And he won that one too plus every other trophy that was available ... best chest, best arms, best poser, etc.

That nite when he got back home he called me to say that, "I think I'm dying! Cathy is on duty at the base! Can you come over and make sure an ambulance gets me if I pass out?" I was on my way but he called to tell me not to make the 45 minute trip as he was walking the aisles of an all night drug store so that someone would call an ambulance if he passed out. He was in the military and didn't want to get medical help unless it was absolutely necessary.

Back then the police were never a problem because there was no "problem" to be concerned about. Everything was legal and just about everyone in the gym took everything they could afford or get their hands on. (But in much more moderate doses.)

I recall explaining to two of the topmost pros about "bitch tits" and what to do to solve the problem. And I learned the "solution" from one of the topnotch pros who had the same problem before them. And everything was outspoke. No need to hide a thing. Cops and soldiers and average guys on the street

I also had the honor of meeting Don on many occasions and enjoyed a few laughs about the "game". And there were so many other characters like Don who told similar stories that would keep us up till sun-rise after many a contest.

Maui Wowwie was popular back then and I kind of recall an interesting story repeated by most of the pros in smokie rooms about someone going in for open heart surgery and getting the shot that would keep him completely stationary but the anastegiologist failed to "put him out" so during the entire operation he was awake and alert but unable to move or inform anyone that he was feeing the incision and the moving of his ribs and the work on his heart until he passed out from the pain. The said he would be in a mental ward until he was far too old to compete again.

Everyone claimed it to be a true story that happened to one of the pros but to this day, I still have my doubts.

Great times, great days! Hopeing to write a book someday, but I've been told that I'd be long gone before it got published. And if it was published, no one would ever believe it anyway.

Thanks for the memories, TW.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 09:18:38 PM »
Nice SM, real nice :)

I'm sure we've crossed paths somewhere in the last 20 years. Damn 1987 - 2007... we must have met. I'll be in Vegas in a few months for the Olympia, to watch the show and collect or pay off some bets. ;D Make sure we talk before then, and we'll hook up for a drink, or a hooker or both. Keith will be there, and several other old and busted dudes as well.

Stronger than all,

Tommy
a

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »
NICE.  I'm still waiting for somebody to step in from somewhere and stop whatever's going on in there the last couple of days...the resounding sentiment had by most I've talked to in there seems to be, "Why isn't anyone doing anything?!?"  Arnold?  Ed?  Joe?  Where are you?  Every day you go in there, a little bit more is gone and it's like, "Whoa!  Let's stop and think about this for a minute!"   :-\

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 09:47:36 PM »
1992 – 1997. Wow. Sleeping in the back room. Sleeping in the posing room. Having  a gang bang in the posing room ;D . Finding IFBB pros sleeping in the posing room, because they were homeless. Watching Brian Regan put a .45 in Joe Cosmo’s face at the front desk and watching Joe pee his pants. Slinging gear over the front counter. Telling Ed Connors that Don Ross was gone. Telling Nessler that Kurt Colbain was dead.  Working the front deask at 4:20am during the Northridge earthquake, and thinking it was funny that everyone was running out of the gym and then right back in. Getting drunk with James Caan. Hookers for free. Strippers for free. Getting arrested in the 2nd room at Gold’s Venice by LAPD. Comped at every bar in Hollywood (the doorman & bartenders all trained at Gold's Venice).

???

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 09:48:21 PM »
Yea, Tommy, I got a hundred on the line with ya, and I believe that Keith does too.

Refresh my memory and tell me the year that Pete and the guys closed up on 2nd in SM and moved to Hampton in Venice. Those were the years when I was there most. We put a couple of Smorgasboard buffet places out of business because we ate too much.

Were you around when Sprague promoted the Mr. America? That was an unreal event at the height of the sport. No recorded music.... just a symphony orchestra! A live symphony orchestra and Mae West gave out the overall with Bert Goodrich escorting her to the stage.

After parties at the gym were phenominal later on in the everning when some of the "important people" had departed and only topped by the best party I've even been to in Las Vegas following the national championships the year after Gary Strydom won it. The only occasion I've ever been thrown out of a casino for having too much of a good time - they said. (And I was even staying there!)

Took a short cut with some of the contestants, jumped a wall and ended up in the Caesars fountain out front.

Do you remember Ernie Santiago?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 09:49:02 PM »
Not everyone was in the in-group in those days. The insiders shared information but it was a closed group. They even has a special language, etc.

I have owned gyms since 1971 and I am sure someone was always pushing steroids. I seldom knew who was involved but occasionally some musclehead from another gym would show up and I always knew why he joined. They always did their business in the parking lot and never in the gym.

It sounds like a lot of guys barely made ends meet. That is probably true today. Most of the guys who lifted were a bit scared of taking too many drugs. Those who weren't are probably some of the guys we know and read about. Zabo said there was no pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and he told the truth. Joe even opened Worlds to give Zabo and a few old mates a job. One day when I visited World Gym in 1991 I wanted to say hello to Zabo. I was told he was asleep in the cupboard below the shelves! Apparently he did that so that if Joe called someone would wake him up!

I vividly remember the day that a very curvaceous former girlfriend of Zabo's stole the show at Santa Monica Beach. That was way back in 1968 in October. Arnold was sunning there and when he got up to go for a swim no one paid the slightest attention. When Zabo's girlfriend got up for a walk to the surf EVERYONE looked! Beauty beats brawn any day. I should have done medicine instead of wanting to open a gym and make gym equipment like Joe did.

I had to laugh when I found out what the lads called Joe Gold. He was known as the dog catcher because he didn't mind plain women he met on the beach! Ah, guys can be cruel.

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 09:52:57 PM »
your an old fart buddy!!!!!!!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 10:00:57 PM »
Yea, Tommy, I got a hundred on the line with ya, and I believe that Keith does too.

Refresh my memory and tell me the year that Pete and the guys closed up on 2nd in SM and moved to Hampton in Venice. Those were the years when I was there most. We put a couple of Smorgasboard buffet places out of business because we ate too much.

Were you around when Sprague promoted the Mr. America? That was an unreal event at the height of the sport. No recorded music.... just a symphony orchestra! A live symphony orchestra and Mae West gave out the overall with Bert Goodrich escorting her to the stage.

After parties at the gym were phenominal later on in the everning when some of the "important people" had departed and only topped by the best party I've even been to in Las Vegas following the national championships the year after Gary Strydom won it. The only occasion I've ever been thrown out of a casino for having too much of a good time - they said. (And I was even staying there!)

Took a short cut with some of the contestants, jumped a wall and ended up in the Caesars fountain out front.

Do you remember Ernie Santiago?

;D ;D

Gold's opened @ 360 Hampton Dr in Feb, 1980... I think. Remember... just the 1st room, old torn up carpet, etc. I think Platz or Belknap or Alzado, or Grymkowski punched a hole in the wall and they expanded after  that.... I think. ;D

Ken Spragues shows were classic. He was certainly part of the Gold's Gym story. I had drinks with Ken, Kent Kuehn and Ken Waller, but I really don't have any memories of the night. Sorry.

I remember Ernie 'bow legged' Santiago. Dude came out of nowhere and won the America. We met a few times, but I don't have any stories. 

T-
a

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 10:15:18 PM »
Nope, I was at the Santa Monica Golds in August 1980 before the Olympia and met Dennis Tinerino, Samir and the Barbarian Brothers. They didn't move to Hampton Drive until after the Olympia.

That day I talked to one of the brothers who was wearing that lumberjack outfit complete with rope around the waist. We all knew who they were because they were in the mags. I asked the bigger one what he was trying to achieve and he said he was going to be both the biggest and best built guy in the universe. I told him he would never achieve that. Why not, he wanted to know? I told him he didn't have the vocabulary! He insisted he did. I told him Reg Park said one can be either strongest or best built but not both at the same time. I then asked him who Steve Merjanian was. He called out to guys who were training there if anyone knew this Steve guy. At about that time Samir came out and 'rescued' me. He said the Barbarians had hit people for saying less than that. I wasn't afraid of those guys because I have been around gyms for a long time. Neither twin did achieve what they said they would. They were big guys and very strong, too. No doubt about that at all. I was just having some fun and wasn't trying to put them down.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 10:17:09 PM »
Nope, I was at the Santa Monica Golds in August 1980 before the Olympia and met Dennis Tinerino, Samir and the Barbarian Brothers. They didn't move to Hampton Drive until after the Olympia.

That day I talked to one of the brothers who was wearing that lumberjack outfit complete with rope around the waist. We all knew who they were because they were in the mags. I asked the bigger one what he was trying to achieve and he said he was going to be both the biggest and best built guy in the universe. I told him he would never achieve that. Why not, he wanted to know? I told him he didn't have the vocabulary! He insisted he did. I told him Reg Park said one can be either strongest or best built but not both at the same time. I then asked him who Steve Merjanian was. He called out to guys who were training there if anyone knew this Steve guy. At about that time Samir came out and 'rescued' me. He said the Barbarians had hit people for saying less than that. I wasn't afraid of those guys because I have been around gyms for a long time. Neither twin did achieve what they said they would. They were big guys and very strong, too. No doubt about that at all. I was just having some fun and wasn't trying to put them down.

I'll go with that Vince.

Asking for help!!  When did Gold's at 360 Hampton open? Anybody? Anybody? Bueller.
a

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »
Ya, Ernie and I were in the Corps together and he asked me to train him after I had so much success with training friends who went on and won the state titles about five years in a row (or was it 7?).

I worked with Ernie for a few years and he won the Jr Nationals and Jr USA the same year, I think that Tony Pearson was the only other person to accomplish that back then.

Ernie would train at Gold's whenever he had reason to compete in Cal and he trained damn hard, sometimes with Platz.

I remember spending time talking to Pete in the office and seeing Ernie just about passed out on the floor with his back to the wall. I walked over and asked him what the hell he was doing, and he said, "I'm getting ready to train."

And Platz walked over and said, "Get him out of here, Stunt! He's delerious! He's been finished for the past ten minutes!"

So after convincing Ernie that he was finished for the day, I pulled him to his feet and with help from Pete, we got him in the car and  drtove him on his way.

Pete told me that more than one of the members walked out of the gym in a stupor after a grueling workout and got hit by a car while walking across the street.

Later on that same day, he just wanted to know if he kept up with Platz on the squat rack. I told him that he did well enough.

Ernie was a madman when it came to training hard. Back then the judges could not believe how ripped he got, but that was simply a matter of eating raw fish for the 8 to 10 weeks before the contest. Once a staple diet in Hawaii.

Spent some time with Ernie at the Orange County contest last week and he's contemplating a comeback.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2007, 10:21:53 PM »

Amazing...even then you were sticking your nose where it didn't belong....guess some things never change.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2007, 10:26:40 PM »
Bob you are a lame dude. Did you know that? I thought you had to be a model citizen because you reflect on the IFBB with what you say? Guess you are sore I called you a certified stooge. Please don't tell me they issued you with an official blazer to wear at events? Gosh, you are due to receive some plaque for services to bodybuilding.

seauantea

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »
The 1977 Teenage Mr. Tarhill was my introduction to bodybuilding. All things considered, I should track down the guy who invited me to that show, and kill him.

In the summer of 1982 we made our pilgrimage to Gold’s Gym Venice. Upon walking into the front parking lot, we immediately noticed a black 4x4 upside down, blocking the entrance. A strange site but no one seemed overly concerned, so we keep walking. As we entered, I saw both Barbarian Brothers arguing with each other about something… turns out the upside down truck was theirs. I went into the pro shop and they were selling the current Barbarian Brothers poster. I bought the poster and went outside to get a signature. The boys were still arguing over who was at fault for the roll-over, but I stepped in and asked for an autograph. David looked at Peter… Peter looked back at David and then they both looked at me and said “Sure big man, you got a pen?” There we were, David, Peter, me and the upside down truck… You should’ve been there.

I made it back to The Mecca a few times during the next few years. Always a great workout. Always a little memory of bodybuilding. The last workout we had, before I went to the joint for 5 years, was at Gold’s Gym Venice. Don’t remember what I trained, but  I do remember looking at the old style peg board, above the water fountain in the front room. On the board, was a 4 x 6 picture of Peter Paul with the most absurd neck pump I had ever seen. 21” minimum, vascular, awesome. I looked around… the coast was clear… I stole the picture. You should’ve been there.

They had to let me go in 1989, and one of the first things I did, was drive to Venice and train at The Mecca. Soon after that we moved to Santa Monica. My girlfriend was a competitive bodybuilder, and I was racing bicycles, so we were @ Gold’s Venice 25-30 per week…

Don Ross had been my friend since 1981. He had a little office above the posing room, at Gold’s Venice. Great office. One day in 1989, Don, me & my girlfriend were sitting in the office discussing bodybuilding and its absurdities. There was a knock on the door… in walks Samir Bannout, 1984 Mr. Olympia. We proceeded to smoke some of Don’s finest northern California sensimilla (seedless & purple). An hour later we came pouring out of Don’s office, smoke billowing, stoned to the tilt ;D . You should’ve been there.

In 1992 my bodybuilding girlfriend was long gone. Too many injuries and lack of talent had ended my racing career. The couch tour was close and my cars back seat was a poor bed... then Gold’s Gym Manager Darin Lannighan walked by me in the gym and asked, “Hey dude, do you still want  a job here?” “Absolutely”, I said.  Darin says, “Cool, be here tomorrow morning at 4am, I’ll get you a key and you’ll be our opener.” I laughed the rest of my workout. You should've been there.

1992 – 1997. Wow. Sleeping in the back room. Sleeping in the posing room. Having  a gang bang in the posing room ;D . Finding IFBB pros sleeping in the posing room, because they were homeless. Watching Brian Regan put a .45 in Joe Cosmo’s face at the front desk and watching Joe pee his pants. Slinging gear over the front counter. Telling Ed Connors that Don Ross was gone. Telling Nessler that Kurt Colbain was dead.  Working the front deask at 4:20am during the Northridge earthquake, and thinking it was funny that everyone was running out of the gym and then right back in. Getting drunk with James Caan. Hookers for free. Strippers for free. Getting arrested in the 2nd room at Gold’s Venice by LAPD. Comped at every bar in Hollywood (the doorman & bartenders all trained at Gold's Venice).

Teaching movie stars about Clenbuterol. Teaching convicts how to pass their drug test. Making $50,000 a year legit, and having a fucking blast doing it. Every year, after the “O”  talking and traing with Dorian & Leroy.  Listening to Flex, Dillet , and Cormier,  talking about Dorian and hearing them say, “Fuck, we’re at least a year, maybe two years behind him.” Changing out the floor in the front room and having LAPD show up at 3am to shut down the loud music and party. Sparing with World Champion Dennis Alexio in the kickboxing class.Trying to convince my friend Danny, that the homeless dude who just came in was Keeanu Reeves.  ;D Taking a break in the front parking lot and watching two Border Brothers steal Tom MaGee's (1984 World Strongest Man) Chevy Z28. ;D

Doing 5 minutes worth of tire smoking burnouts in the front lot @2:30am, while LAPD stood by w/15 cars and watched, and finally a Sgt. walked over and said, "Look dude, we're trying to plan a raid from your parking lot across the treet, would you please stop doing burnouts."  ;D Taking smack from a biker for membership because he didn’t have any cash, and giving it to strung out hooker (no payback required). Breaking up a fight between Titus and some idiot in the front room.  Finding David Dearth OD’ed on Nubain, sound asleep on the treadmill ;D. Getting called at 3am by numerous bodybuilders, because their girlfriend was OD’ing on GHB and they wanted to know what to do. Having "Candy night" and watching Melissa Coates laugh so hard it made me pee in my pants. Watching a dude (a regular) who left his gym pants and home, try and train in a shirt only, because, "I pulled my shirt down real low and you really couldn't see my sack."  ;D You should’ve been there.

1997- 2007 pending…

This is the best/most interesting post I have come across yet, though I am shocked you got 50k to open the gym :P

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 10:30:34 PM »
Hey, TW, do you remember a guy who used to eat nothing but tuna fish that he would squeeze through a nylon stocking. The end result would be something similar to sawdust with a smelly odor. That was his entire diet except for an occasional spoonful of honey. I saw him compete in the mid to late 60's and he was ultra shreaded and I have heard that he was still around the LA area in the mid to late 70's still eating strained tuna and honey and still ripped.

Do you recall that character?

BTW, I ran into Kent Kehn at the Cal this past weekend but didn't get a chance to talk with him.

You recall Joe Nazzario? And where the hell is Bill Grant these days?

Bob, you competed with Ernie a few times? Right?