Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 153259 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Re: Golds Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #200 on: June 05, 2007, 02:10:30 AM »
#14 (smaller pic) is not Lamar Gant. I saw Lamar compete a few times in the mid 80's, and would know him. #36 (big pic) is Bob Reis...  :)

T-
a

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: June 05, 2007, 02:27:27 AM »
Teagan do you know what year Joe sold Gold's and what he he opened World.

Also how did some of the equipment from the original Gold's Gym on Pacific end up making the rounds through to 2nd Street Santa Monica, then Hampton Drive while some of the equipment went to World Gym?
Pretty sure no equipment from golds 1 ever went to world 1 max.

from pics all the golds 1 stuff went to golds 2 and most of that went to golds 3 at least for a few years.

in fact, in education of a bodybuilder, the exercise pics that aren't shot outside are in fact shot at both golds 1 and golds 2 (but on the same equipment) so it must have happened around late 76, early 77 by my guess.

all the stuff for world 1 was made by either joe gold or dan howard as far as i've been told.

lots of world 1 equipment had similar designs to the golds 1 stuff though...

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #202 on: June 05, 2007, 08:07:36 AM »
RAMAZON, interesting to learn about Saxe buying Gold's from Joe. All these years I thought that Sprague bought it directly from Joe.

I do kind of remember that Joe Gold intended to use his name (Gold's) once again when he was in the process of opeing his new place in Venice, but Ken informed him through a lawyer that he had given up the right to use his own name (Joe Gold) for any other business he might chose to open.

I understand that Joe was irrate that he couldn't use his own name but ultimately opened under the name of World Gym in order to avoid legal expenses.

Any other details on this?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #203 on: June 05, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »
#14 (smaller pic) is not Lamar Gant. I saw Lamar compete a few times in the mid 80's, and would know him. #36 (big pic) is Bob Reis...  :)

T-

Tommy are you sure.  I forgot to put it down but I think Pete said that was Jim Tarleton. 

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2007, 12:11:51 PM »
Yes. :)
a

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #205 on: June 06, 2007, 05:55:38 PM »
 We got to meet Pete G, Tim, Ed and Rich Minzer, they looked after us very well.

I think this statement sums up Pete Grymko very well. Pete always had this uncanny ability to make people feel important. When you’re with Pete, you always feel as though you’re some sort of VIP. Even though you know he does that with everyone. He does it sincerely, it’s not phony or a put on. I’ve always felt like it was a major factor in Pete’s success.
and keep moving!

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #206 on: June 06, 2007, 10:25:11 PM »
Teagan do you know what year Joe sold Gold's and what he he opened World.

Also how did some of the equipment from the original Gold's Gym on Pacific end up making the rounds through to 2nd Street Santa Monica, then Hampton Drive while some of the equipment went to World Gym?
I can't answer your first question, Max.  I only know that Joe regretted selling
and approached Mike Uretz, who was then a patent attorney, to assist him
with opening another gym nearby -- World.  Most all of the equipment was
hand forged by Joe using unforgettable cable designs.  Today, I've been told,
the equipment from World all belongs to Jerome Ferguson, who's eager to
continue Joe's legacy, albeit with music.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: June 06, 2007, 10:38:51 PM »
I can't answer your first question, Max.  I only know that Joe regretted selling
Ken Sprague has stated online that no equipment from golds1 ever went to any world gym.

In fact, if you have any flex or M&F from the early 80's you can clearly see much of the original equipment still in use at the hampton golds when they first moved across and some of it even survived into the 1990's.

When joe gold went to open world gym he and Dan Howard got together and made the equipment for it much to the same specs as the golds1 stuff.

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #208 on: June 06, 2007, 10:46:41 PM »
no offense guys, but I feel like some people enjoy walking down memory lane a bit too much  :-\

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: June 06, 2007, 10:49:34 PM »
no offense guys, but I feel like some people enjoy walking down memory lane a bit too much  :-\
I think people are getting that way this week because world gym closed down this week...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #210 on: June 06, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »

Yes Joe made allot of the equipment.  I have told this before on here.  Kal Sklyak(?) used to have a small notepad and woudl go around drawing sketches of the equipment.  I think he was going to try and make his own.  It was funny one day when he was sketching and Joe came in and he hide the notepad in his shorts. 

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #211 on: June 06, 2007, 11:28:16 PM »

WM... let us old folk enjoy our memories... while we still have any. ;). If not, I'll come to your town and kill everybody (by trying to stop my car and accidental hitting the gas pedal)

T-
a

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #212 on: June 06, 2007, 11:45:51 PM »
WM... let us old folk enjoy our memories... while we still have any. ;). If not, I'll come to your town and kill everybody (by trying to stop my car and accidental hitting the gas pedal)

T-

funny you say that, considering I live just one block from Santa Monica- I'm just inside the border of LA

I can't believe that old geezer mowed them down at the farmer's market a few yrs ago

i, too, hope that venice gold's history is maintained to some degree- it would be a shame if it weren't. I like training there. yeah, some of the people are a bit too much to take, but i just ignore them

anyway, don't want to ruin some sentimental rehashing- I'll stay out of the thread now

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #213 on: June 06, 2007, 11:46:37 PM »

T-

Tommy I'll go with you to add more weight to your car. ;D

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #214 on: June 06, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
Tommy I'll go with you to add more weight to your car. ;D

;D ;D

Real good talking to you yesterday Keith. We're dark tomorrow... I'll give you a call.

Let's make sure that Las Vegas happens for the Olympia; hookers on me (literally & figuratively).

T-
a

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #215 on: June 06, 2007, 11:51:06 PM »
funny you say that, considering I live just one block from Santa Monica- I'm just inside the border of LA

I can't believe that old geezer mowed them down at the farmer's market a few yrs ago

i, too, hope that venice gold's history is maintained to some degree- it would be a shame if it weren't. I like training there. yeah, some of the people are a bit too much to take, but i just ignore them

anyway, don't want to ruin some sentimental rehashing- I'll stay out of the thread now

WM... I live in Brentwood. I remember the incident quite well. What a mess.

PS Don't stay out of the thread. Your contributions on Getbig are excellent, IMO. Hey... Vegas for the "O"? We'll all be there. I'm driving, and I just got a new Cadillac. ;D
a

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #216 on: June 06, 2007, 11:57:23 PM »
RAMAZON, interesting to learn about Saxe buying Gold's from Joe. All these years I thought that Sprague bought it directly from Joe.

I do kind of remember that Joe Gold intended to use his name (Gold's) once again when he was in the process of opeing his new place in Venice, but Ken informed him through a lawyer that he had given up the right to use his own name (Joe Gold) for any other business he might chose to open.

I understand that Joe was irrate that he couldn't use his own name but ultimately opened under the name of World Gym in order to avoid legal expenses.

Any other details on this?

As I understand it, after all the work he went through to reestablish another gym, and then a whole chain of them, Joe, who had endured a total of 13 "failed back surgeries" conducted business from a wheelchair, addicted to painkillers.  One day, he became convinced that he was dying.  So he gave World Gym in Venice away--lock-stock-and-barrel and free of charge--to Arnold.  Then he got better.  Realizing that he wasn't going to die soon, he asked Arnold to give the gym and the building back.  Arnold refused.  A bitter battle ensued, and a once symbiotic relationship ruptured.  In the end, as I understand it, Joe gave Arnold something to regain posession of the gym, with Arnold keeping possession of building and charging Joe rent.  The indignity of the deal was a hard blow for the old man to take.  In no time, he was forced to move the gym to cheaper digs.  When Joe's best friend suddenly died, it was the knock-out punch.  Joe simply refused the pain killers, stopped eating, and died.  God bless his great soul.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #217 on: June 07, 2007, 04:12:02 AM »
As I understand it, after all the work he went through to reestablish another gym, and then a whole chain of them, Joe, who had endured a total of 13 "failed back surgeries" conducted business from a wheelchair, addicted to painkillers.  One day, he became convinced that he was dying.  So he gave World Gym in Venice away--lock-stock-and-barrel and free of charge--to Arnold.  Then he got better.  Realizing that he wasn't going to die soon, he asked Arnold to give the gym and the building back.  Arnold refused.  A bitter battle ensued, and a once symbiotic relationship ruptured.  In the end, as I understand it, Joe gave Arnold something to regain posession of the gym, with Arnold keeping possession of building and charging Joe rent.  The indignity of the deal was a hard blow for the old man to take.  In no time, he was forced to move the gym to cheaper digs.  When Joe's best friend suddenly died, it was the knock-out punch.  Joe simply refused the pain killers, stopped eating, and died.  God bless his great soul.

yes that is pretty much what i heard.  I think Arnold raised the rent.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: June 07, 2007, 05:51:15 AM »
This story sounds kinda weird.

Joe owns the building and the gym and gives it to arnold as a gift because he thinks he is dying then he makes a recovery and arnold makes him buy back the gym but doesn't sell him the land but charges him rent on it?

Then joe moves the gym yet it is still full of arnold pictures and arnold even trains there in prep for T3?

Then arnold speaks at the guy's funeral?

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #219 on: June 07, 2007, 03:37:01 PM »
This story sounds kinda weird.

Joe owns the building and the gym and gives it to arnold as a gift because he thinks he is dying then he makes a recovery and arnold makes him buy back the gym but doesn't sell him the land but charges him rent on it?

Then joe moves the gym yet it is still full of arnold pictures and arnold even trains there in prep for T3?

Then arnold speaks at the guy's funeral?

Well I'll find out but I am pretty sure Arnold owned the building and raised the rent and that was why Joe left that building.  I heard Joe made Arnold a major partner to help business.  Not sure.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: June 07, 2007, 06:03:27 PM »
Well I'll find out but I am pretty sure Arnold owned the building and raised the rent and that was why Joe left that building.  I heard Joe made Arnold a major partner to help business.  Not sure.
as in arnold always owned the building in venice or joe owned it, thought he was dying and gave it to arnold, then arnold refused to give it back?

2 very different things.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #221 on: June 07, 2007, 07:26:03 PM »
Joe Gold let me take photos of some of his equipment. That was in 1980. Too bad I didn't take more photos of everything. I do have a shot taken from the balcony in the original gym on Pacific Avenue. I took a few photos in Golds and World Gym in 1991 and wasn't thrown out of either place.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: June 07, 2007, 07:33:18 PM »
Joe Gold let me take photos of some of his equipment. That was in 1980. Too bad I didn't take more photos of everything. I do have a shot taken from the balcony in the original gym on Pacific Avenue. I took a few photos in Golds and World Gym in 1991 and wasn't thrown out of either place.
what was the atmosphere like in the orignal world gym in 1980 vince?

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #223 on: June 07, 2007, 07:50:00 PM »
The Original Golds was there in 1980 because by then the gym moved to Santa Monica on 2nd Avenue, I think. I was with two of my young children so didn't hang around Golds but said hello to Dennis Tinerino, David Paul and Samir Bannout.

I did train at the original Golds in October 1968. Dave Draper was there in the mornings and I talked to him a bit. I used to pump my calves up to over 18 when he was around. He used to do sort of cheating heel raises with that standing calf machine with the chain. I remember he used much more weight than I did but his calves never impressed me. He did remember me in Honolulu in Jan 69 whereas Arnold didn't remember my name. My ex was impressed with Dave but the guys thought Arnold was a hero. Looking back I would have to say that Dave was quite the gentleman.

Golds didn't have many members in those days so you could train just about at any time and get a good workout in. I could write more but the guys here object to my long posts.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: June 07, 2007, 09:05:24 PM »
Its sad to hear of arnold pressuring old joe like that.    Ive walked away from many lucrative things to save a freindship.   Money comes and goes. :-\