Author Topic: Gold's Gym Venice - A little bit of history  (Read 153182 times)

jwb

• Getbig V
Re: Golds Gym Venice - A little bit of history
« Reply #225 on: June 07, 2007, 09:28:39 PM »
this still sounds like BS to me.

arnold supposedly totally rips joe off yet arnold still trained at the new world gym and the place was basically a shrine to him?

talk about joe not holding a grudge!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #226 on: June 07, 2007, 09:29:20 PM »
as in arnold always owned the building in venice or joe owned it, thought he was dying and gave it to arnold, then arnold refused to give it back?

2 very different things.

Joe never owned the building.  Arnold raised the rent after Joe got bck the gym.  I will make a call and get the right story.

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #227 on: June 07, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »
well either way, I went by golds gym venice to pick up some protein from my boy, and looked in, it is the most saddening sight to see, how could anyone even want to train there, with all the memoirs gone, it looked like a corporate employee gym, just a sad sight to see.

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #228 on: June 07, 2007, 11:53:59 PM »
Joe never owned the building.  Arnold raised the rent after Joe got bck the gym.  I will make a call and get the right story.
My source insists he owned it. Nor did Arnold "rip" Joe off if indeed Joe GAVE him the building.  A gift is a gift.  You can't fault Arnold for NOT doing what YOU want him to do.  He's his own man, responsible for his actions, however cruel some might appear.  Anyway, I think the building is now going to become a HOTEL.  I sure appreciate your fact-finding help, Only, because the impact of this particular transaction appears to have mobilized World Gym's downfall.  I sense Gold's Venice is next.  The motive that makes the most sense to me is this:  When the promotional engine of a chain of companies is destroyed, the value of the company diminishes, making it vulnerable to a bargain buy-out.  As you probably know, "hardcore competitivie" BUSINESS people do NOT take any of these manuvers, personally.  For them, it's sport.   

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: June 08, 2007, 12:28:52 AM »
My source insists he owned it. Nor did Arnold "rip" Joe off if indeed Joe GAVE him the building.  A gift is a gift.  You can't fault Arnold for NOT doing what YOU want him to do.  He's his own man, responsible for his actions, however cruel some might appear.  Anyway, I think the building is now going to become a HOTEL.  I sure appreciate your fact-finding help, Only, because the impact of this particular transaction appears to have mobilized World Gym's downfall.  I sense Gold's Venice is next.  The motive that makes the most sense to me is this:  When the promotional engine of a chain of companies is destroyed, the value of the company diminishes, making it vulnerable to a bargain buy-out.  As you probably know, "hardcore competitivie" BUSINESS people do NOT take any of these manuvers, personally.  For them, it's sport.   
still if arnold took the building because joe thought he was dying then didn't give it back once he recovered it doesn't say much about arnold does it?

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #230 on: June 09, 2007, 12:36:03 PM »
still if arnold took the building because joe thought he was dying then didn't give it back once he recovered it doesn't say much about arnold does it?
Au contraire, jwb, it says quite a lot about him.  It probably wasn't
an easy decision for him to make, either.  No doubt, he suffered some conflict.  At the time, however, what was probably most important to him was the pursuit of
power and property.  Not demonstrating sentiment for those who think they're going to die. 

Shawn_Perine

• Getbig II
  • IronAge
« Reply #231 on: June 10, 2007, 12:52:28 AM »
Yes, Joe absolutely owned the building. In fact, he would tell everyone that there was no point in having a gym if you didn't own the building it was in.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: June 10, 2007, 07:14:27 PM »
Au contraire, jwb, it says quite a lot about him.  It probably wasn't
an easy decision for him to make, either.  No doubt, he suffered some conflict.  At the time, however, what was probably most important to him was the pursuit of
power and property.  Not demonstrating sentiment for those who think they're going to die. 
well I hope he has a fine time in the afterlife is all I've got to say...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #233 on: June 10, 2007, 11:31:59 PM »
Yes, Joe absolutely owned the building. In fact, he would tell everyone that there was no point in having a gym if you didn't own the building it was in.

Actually it doesn't mean a thing unless you own the land.  The land owner is the big honcho.  Cause when that lease runs out and the land owner wants it back then all that investment in the building was for nothing unless you sign a long enough lease to recoup the building cost and everything in it.  Was it the land or building Arnold owned.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #234 on: June 11, 2007, 01:20:39 AM »
Actually it doesn't mean a thing unless you own the land.  The land owner is the big honcho.  Cause when that lease runs out and the land owner wants it back then all that investment in the building was for nothing unless you sign a long enough lease to recoup the building cost and everything in it.  Was it the land or building Arnold owned.

Actually the county tax assessor bitches the landowner.

Anyone remember Arlin Marshall traing at Gold's in the early 80's or crazy "Dr." Winn Paris and their connection to each other?
and keep moving!

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #235 on: June 11, 2007, 01:32:28 AM »

Anyone remember Arlin Marshall traing at Gold's in the early 80's or crazy "Dr." Winn Paris and their connection to each other?

;D Who?
a

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #236 on: June 11, 2007, 01:35:19 AM »

Well if you want to go that far the US Government "bitches" anyone with the eminent domain.  Doesn't matter who owns what then.  Never heard of Arlin.  But have had my dealings with Win (one "N")  He likes it that way.  One crazy guy.  He wents nuts here when he came to my show.  Very incontrollable.

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #237 on: June 11, 2007, 08:04:27 AM »
Thanks for the assist, Shawn.  Obviously, you knew the man, and learned
his business principles.  He was firm and decisive.

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #238 on: June 11, 2007, 08:25:26 AM »
Very good point, Only.  I was told that "the building", including its name
and contents, were given to Arnold.  Don't know about the earth below.
I'm EAGER to know, of course, because it's my belief that economics
rule the world.  And they're often out of our control.  Surely, Arnold
wishes Joe hadn't asked for his gym back.  He had put a lot of work into
unifying the chain, in an attempt to franchise the whole op.   

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #239 on: June 11, 2007, 09:42:32 AM »
Very good point, Only.  I was told that "the building", including its name
and contents, were given to Arnold.  Don't know about the earth below.
I'm EAGER to know, of course, because it's my belief that economics
rule the world.  And they're often out of our control.  Surely, Arnold
wishes Joe hadn't asked for his gym back.  He had put a lot of work into
unifying the chain, in an attempt to franchise the whole op.   

Well whatever the story I feel Joe got shafted by Arnold. I really feel there should have been a strong enough bond between those two and given the fact that Arnold had so much more than Joe in finances and everything else and Joe was sick that Arnold should have just given Joe back everything.  WHat does Arnold lose.  Guaranteed it hurt Joe more than it hurt Arnold.

Oh Keith, you are all knowing! So very wise!  Anymore stories of Government?

You remind me of Milos trying to make an honest buck! 

Keith, you are as trustworthy as Lee Priest and as aesthetically pleasing as Luke!

Sean or whoever is using this account this time, don't fuck every thread with your shit.  And Pleeeeeeeeeease don't talk about making an honest buck.  You are entering into a territory you have no idea about.  You are great at losing sponsor money though.  Keep it up

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #240 on: June 11, 2007, 10:23:38 AM »
Well whatever the story I feel Joe got shafted by Arnold. I really feel there should have been a strong enough bond between those two and given the fact that Arnold had so much more than Joe in finances and everything else and Joe was sick that Arnold should have just given Joe back everything.  WHat does Arnold lose.  Guaranteed it hurt Joe more than it hurt Arnold.

Hindsight is 20/20, right?  At the time, Arnold wasn't going for the governorship,
and his box office--and his own health--was in decline.  God knows what needs
he was serving when he refused to hand it all back to Joe.  Something was going on in his head.  Hopefully not "If I can't have it, nobody can.

ramazon

• Getbig III
« Reply #241 on: June 11, 2007, 10:47:33 AM »
Hindsight is 20/20, right?  At the time, Arnold wasn't going for the governorship,
and his box office--and his own health--was in decline.  God knows what needs
he was serving when he refused to hand it all back to Joe.  Something was going on in his head.  Hopefully not "If I can't have it, nobody can." [/endquote] 

Sean or whoever is using this account this time, don't fuck every thread with your shit.  And Pleeeeeeeeeease don't talk about making an honest buck.  You are entering into a territory you have no idea about.  You are great at losing sponsor money though.  Keep it up

Darnnit, I still don't know how to inject a comment between paragraphs.
Sorry if I caused any confusion here. 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #242 on: June 11, 2007, 12:53:01 PM »
Arlin (don’t know about the spelling) Marshall was a top executive with Jack La Lanne European Health Spas before they sold out to Executive Health Clubs International which operated 500 health clubs worldwide. Bob Delmonteque was part of this group as was Ray Wilson (who invented the Lifecycle and later started Family Fitness centers before selling out to 24 Hour Fitness). As you can see this was a group of people with a long history of success in the club industry.

Arlin trained at Gold’s every morning during the first few years on Hampton Drive. I can’t tell you that Pete, Tim, Ed directly consulted with Arlin but I know they talked on a regular basis and I’m sure they picked his brain even though it was a different business model.

My point is that the success of Gold’s was the result of a lot of factors coming together at the right time. 

“Dr.” Win Paris was a really eccentric guy who ran the Protein and Juice bar concessions for Jack La Lanne European Health Spas. It was a separate entity and they eventually had to push him out because of his bizarre antics. I remember hearing from someone who was at a managers meeting how he showed up wearing only a bathrobe and pool sandals. He still shows up at trade shows and events.     
and keep moving!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #243 on: June 11, 2007, 02:09:38 PM »
Joe gave World Gym to Arnold because Arnold owned the building (not sure if it included the franchising division or not), but Arnold began to throw out some of the bodybuilders which included some of Joe's old time friends and was giving membership to his friends in the movie industry namely producers, directors, etc.  He was throwing out some old time BB's too who had free memberships.  This caused a disagreement between Joe and Arnold and subsequently Arnold gave the gym back to Joe, not sure if at that point Arnold raised the rent or decided to sell the building or both, but Joe decided to move to Marina Del Rey.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: June 11, 2007, 02:24:47 PM »
Joe gave World Gym to Arnold because Arnold owned the building (not sure if it included the franchising division or not), but Arnold began to throw out some of the bodybuilders which included some of Joe's old time friends and was giving membership to his friends in the movie industry namely producers, directors, etc.  He was throwing out some old time BB's too who had free memberships.  This caused a disagreement between Joe and Arnold and subsequently Arnold gave the gym back to Joe, not sure if at that point Arnold raised the rent or decided to sell the building or both, but Joe decided to move to Marina Del Rey.
I figured arnold always own that land and building... That corner spot was prime real estate and the building was no tin shed

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #245 on: June 12, 2007, 01:38:57 AM »
I figured arnold always own that land and building... That corner spot was prime real estate and the building was no tin shed

Here in Hawaii having leasehold land is very popular.  Fee simple is very expensive but ideal.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #246 on: June 12, 2007, 02:43:57 AM »
This photo might be helpful to further the discussion of this subject ........

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: June 12, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
This photo might be helpful to further the discussion of this subject ........

at least Eddie didn't jump up on him

;D

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=153967.msg2151397#msg2151397

Vote for Goatboy's Cat
Getbig's Cat of the Month!

Visit Getbig's PetBoard today

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #248 on: June 13, 2007, 12:15:13 AM »
It is really cool to hear these various stories on Gold's Venice - even 10 years ago, many pros trained there, and it was the place to be.  Now, the pros are fragmented in various gyms. However, it is stll nice to go to the Firehouse, and eat, as many people still come to eat there, and now, you can get the famous 'Bob' bowl.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #249 on: June 13, 2007, 01:13:29 AM »
It is really cool to hear these various stories on Gold's Venice - even 10 years ago, many pros trained there, and it was the place to be.  Now, the pros are fragmented in various gyms. However, it is stll nice to go to the Firehouse, and eat, as many people still come to eat there, and now, you can get the famous 'Bob' bowl.

Before the Firehouse was around a lot of the bodybuilders used to go to the Omlette Parlor down main Street Santa Monica a little ways. That had an Omlette called "Arnold's Favorite". I haven't been there in years but I ate there one time with Peter Grymko and Dennis Tinnerino. It was right after the 1981 Olympia. Dennis was raving about how good a cutting drug Wydase was.
and keep moving!