Author Topic: Might build a Smith Machine  (Read 6007 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Might build a Smith Machine
« on: May 28, 2007, 03:26:14 AM »
I priced them up and the cost is outrageous (in Australia).  Besides, I've already got the hardened steel and linear bearings from another project which isn't going ahead, and those are the most expensive parts.

I really prefer working out at home, and without a partner I figure a Smith Machine would fit the bill.  Problem is - I haven't spent much time on one.  For those who have, did you notice any features you really liked which I should include?

Thanks guys.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Might build a Smith Machine
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 04:23:48 AM »
better build your own power rack
Z

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 07:51:54 AM »
Ya, but the rod and linear bearings were wicked expensive.  Just feel like I should put it to some good use.  :-\

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 03:33:39 PM »
I would save the money and find a good deal on getting a gym membership. I'm kinda againist training at home b/c  if something happens you don't have anyone to help you out if you get stuck..

all you really need and all I use is just a barbell/bench that has incline and flat in one/maybe some dumbbells that are used or on sale..

even tho I go to a gym with fancy machine for every angle of a muscle. I just do the  bb and db's

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 04:58:33 PM »
I would save the money and find a good deal on getting a gym membership. I'm kinda againist training at home b/c  if something happens you don't have anyone to help you out if you get stuck..

all you really need and all I use is just a barbell/bench that has incline and flat in one/maybe some dumbbells that are used or on sale..

even tho I go to a gym with fancy machine for every angle of a muscle. I just do the  bb and db's

isnt that the point of a power rack, that you dont get stuck?
Z

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:56:09 PM »
 I don't really like power racks or use them at all. the only time that I've droped the weight on a squat, was in a power rack. I couldn't  get the  bar on the rack the right way or something.. so I squat on a "staircase" type squat rack.

But i guess the power rack is the best chooice

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 08:30:16 AM »
As suggested before, a Power rack would be your first choice. Could always sell those linear bearings and that steel stock and use that money towards a PR. Smith machines are not all that safe as compared to a power rack, giving a false sense of security. Also a Smith machines does not give the same strength curve to the natural muscle action. The BP for example has a "S" curve (three phased ..as most movements do) with-in the full ROM. A Smith machine may tend to put too much pressure where it is not desired, because of that fixed pattern you must follow when doing each rep. This happens mostly when using heavier weights, with injury to follow.

Many men use and like the Smith, making good progress on it. Usually moderate weight is used. So actually it's really up to you which suits your needs. But a better  functioning  piece  of equipment, if heavy weights and safety are ever the option, would be a PR. Might get a short membership in a local gym, where there is a Smith machine, and try one out for yourself.

You could make a good PR with that steel you have, rather than buying one. You seem to know shop equipment. And probably ARC/TIG welding, cutting and pre fabbing mental.  That's most of the battle anyway. Good Luck.
F

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 03:32:13 PM »
As suggested before, a Power rack would be your first choice. Could always sell those linear bearings and that steel stock and use that money towards a PR. Smith machines are not all that safe as compared to a power rack, giving a false sense of security. Also a Smith machines does not give the same strength curve to the natural muscle action. The BP for example has a "S" curve (three phased ..as most movements do) with-in the full ROM. A Smith machine may tend to put too much pressure where it is not desired, because of that fixed pattern you must follow when doing each rep. This happens mostly when using heavier weights, with injury to follow.

Many men use and like the Smith, making good progress on it. Usually moderate weight is used. So actually it's really up to you which suits your needs. But a better  functioning  piece  of equipment, if heavy weights and safety are ever the option, would be a PR. Might get a short membership in a local gym, where there is a Smith machine, and try one out for yourself.

You could make a good PR with that steel you have, rather than buying one. You seem to know shop equipment. And probably ARC/TIG welding, cutting and pre fabbing mental.  That's most of the battle anyway. Good Luck.

i highly disagree with you about the injuries on a smithmachine. Lets say if you do squats on smithmachine, thats the best form you can possibly get for squats. The squat should be in one line, no benting forward. So smith can absolutely prevent injuries during squatting, and also dont agree with false security? on smith you can go to failure with benchpress you can always rack it a couple of inches over your chest. 

i wishi had a smithmachine in my house, thats a dream come true, sometimes i like to train late at night or evening.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 03:44:50 AM »
Never did go ahead with it - too much effort for what might not be such a great piece of equipment after all.

I'll take your advice guys and go with the PR.  They're affordable enough that there's not much benefit in putting time and materials into building one.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 09:16:10 AM »
El Mariachi: Not dissing you Bud, just my view for what little it may matter. But you could not be more wrong about the squat if you tried. Just my opinion. I'm sure many others will agree with you.

People have been known to slip their grip and miss the catches when doing benches and other exercise on the Smith. Resulting in a torn this or that. Even when moderate weight is used. Fatigue, either physical or mental, tends to give misjudgments when working out. Usually happens when attempting  to go to failure. Nothing is fool proof in training. Good Luck.

Side Bar: Missed you at the  Hollywood Bowl yearly Festival Mariachi. Plan on being there next gig?
F