Author Topic: Do you drink fat free milk??  (Read 7600 times)

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
Re: Do you drink fat free milk??
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »
What are your thoughts about yoghurt and cottage cheese?

Personally i think milk isn't poison, but it isn't the best food you can eat either. I don't think anybody has proven a link between cancer and dairy in humans.
Furthermore adding dairy products helps to lose weight. The insulin intolerance, i believe there is just a low correlation.

Personally i think yoghurt (healthy bacteria) and cottage cheese (lot of protein, very handy) are still good options for bodybuilders. I think the lactose in that is mostly eaten by the bacteria cause they can be used by lactose intolerant people.

I don't really believe that dairy isn't a good protein source either. Whey has the best availability and casein is pretty good as well.
$

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2007, 02:02:45 PM »
What are your thoughts about yoghurt and cottage cheese?

Personally i think milk isn't poison, but it isn't the best food you can eat either. I don't think anybody has proven a link between cancer and dairy in humans.
Furthermore adding dairy products helps to lose weight. The insulin intolerance, i believe there is just a low correlation.

Personally i think yoghurt (healthy bacteria) and cottage cheese (lot of protein, very handy) are still good options for bodybuilders. I think the lactose in that is mostly eaten by the bacteria cause they can be used by lactose intolerant people.

I don't really believe that dairy isn't a good protein source either. Whey has the best availability and casein is pretty good as well.

Do you know anything about the history of whey? While most people don’t realize it, whey - until very recently - was considered a waste product by the dairy industry, and dairy farmers usually fed it to their pigs. It was only after having dumped untold millions of gallons of whey into rivers and even on roads that the cheese industry investigated making whey protein from the waste product. Through trial and error, milk derivatives such as butter, cream, ice cream, yogurt, keffir, buttermilk and many types of cheese have been made primarily from sheep, goats and cows to supplement the human diet. Most recently whey, a byproduct of cheese making, has resulted in the production of whey protein powders and bars.
  The quality is only good as the source. If I gave you something that was loaded with chemicals and toxins, been cooked to death and denatured of all it's nutrients..what value would it add to you? You simply can’t make health giving, high quality whey products from sick cows!
   Yogurt is great, yes, but again, is it raw or pasteurized? People that are so called "Lactose Intolerant" are really " Pasteurization Intolerant" because when you pasteurize milk, you kill the digestive enzyme, Lactase, that people need to help digest it.
  Pasteurization means the milk is heated to kill potentially harmful bacteria,that is much as most people know but that’s about as far as their understanding goes. I wish it were that simple, but there is so much more to be concerned with in regard to pasteurization, and understanding the process is vital when choosing a whey protein product.
  The pasteurization process involves heating milk for 30 seconds at 63º C (~145º F), for 15 seconds at 72º C (~162º F) or for one second at 89º C (192º F). Milk is declared pasteurized when the chemist finds no enzymes present in the milk!
  Now, to really begin to get a sense of what it means to pasteurize a food such as milk or juice, you must define what an enzyme is. An enzyme is a complex protein produced by living cells that promotes a specific biochemical reaction by acting as a catalyst. An understanding of the pasteurization process is very important because by the very definition, pasteurization means the complete obliteration of enzymes. What does that mean to you and your choice of whey protein, you may wonder? Well, to begin with, by referring to the definition of an enzyme, enzymes are complex proteins; therefore, the pasteurization process can and does kill and damage proteins! Keep in mind that the more dead something is when you consume it, the more energy it takes your body to enliven it or make it transmutable to human tissue! In addition to killing all the enzymes or in essence removing life from the product, the pasteurization process has been shown to have the following effects on milk (which is the source of cheap industry whey protein powders and supplements):
    * We are told pasteurization is a good thing, a method of protecting us from bacteria and disease, yet all outbreaks of salmonella from contaminated milk in recent decades (and there have been many) occurred in pasteurized milk. One example arose in Illinois during 1985 where 14,000 people were infected, and at least one death occurred.
    * Raw milk contains lactic-acid producing bacteria that protect against pathogens, and pasteurization kills these helpful organisms. Therefore, pasteurized milk has no protective mechanism if undesirable bacteria contaminate the supply. Raw milk will turn sour, while pasteurized milk will putrefy (commonly referred to as rotten or soured milk). Do you know that pasteurized milk turns a dark gray and then add yellow dye#6 into it to make it white again?....sounds yummy!!!
    * Heat alters amino acids in milk (lysine and tyrosine), making the whole complex of proteins less available.
    * If you have a weak digestive systems, which is sadly very common today, pasteurized milk passes through, not fully digested, and can build up around the tiny villi of the small intestine, preventing absorption of nutrients and promoting uptake of toxic substances. The result is allergies, chronic fatigue and degenerative diseases.
    * Chemicals such as synthetic vitamin supplements D2 (toxic and linked to heart disease) or D3 (hard to absorb) are commonly added during pasteurization of milk to suppress odor and restore taste.

mental_masturbator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 10:34:56 PM »
What does that mean to you and your choice of whey protein, you may wonder? Well, to begin with, by referring to the definition of an enzyme, enzymes are complex proteins; therefore, the pasteurization process can and does kill and damage proteins! Keep in mind that the more dead something is when you consume it, the more energy it takes your body to enliven it or make it transmutable to human tissue!

I was with you until you stated the above.  The body's digestive process destroys complex proteins routinely.  Ingested proteins (including enzymes) aren't just denatured but ripped apart so as to produce amino's, di- and tri-peptides for absorption into the blood. 

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 02:49:09 AM »
I know I am going to get a lot of slack about this but
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! DO NOT EAT SOY!!
I CAN NOT EMPHASIZE ENOUGH HOW BAD IT IS FOR YOU!!
SOY IS NOT HEALTHY FOR YOU!!!!
IT'S THE MOST MARKETED " HEALTH" PRODUCT OUT THERE!!

It is loaded with phyto-estrogens which is an estrogen hormone. It's a trypsin inhibitor, meaning it prevents protein to be broken down in your body. Soy foods can cause deficiencies in calcium and vitamin D.The isoflavones are phyto-endocrine disrupters. At dietary levels, they can prevent ovulation and stimulate the growth of cancer cells. Eating as little as 30 grams (about 4 tablespoons) of soy per day can result in hypothyroidism with symptoms of lethargy, constipation, weight gain and fatigue.
I can go on about this but if you need info, PM me or ask me here.

Yeah, PLUS, IT MAKES YOU A DIRTY STINKIN HIPPIE. And we all know what it means if you're a hippy. It means you SUCK.

And thats how it was.

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 05:50:28 AM »
If milk seemed so bad...y did Arnold take it during his bodybuilding career especially during the off-season?
ur momma

chirorhino

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2007, 07:27:12 PM »
I was with you until you stated the above.  The body's digestive process destroys complex proteins routinely.  Ingested proteins (including enzymes) aren't just denatured but ripped apart so as to produce amino's, di- and tri-peptides for absorption into the blood. 

This is the best thing I read in this thread so far. Sorry folks but proteins are not destroyed or killed by pasteurization, they are denatured as mental-masurbator said. If proteins/amino acids were destroyed by pasteurization then we would all be suffer from Kwashakor/Marasmus due to protein malnutrition. Remember people our stomach is a highly acidic enviroment (pH 2) containing hydrochloric acid used to denature the proteins that we eat so that our bodies can actually use them for building enzymes, proteins, muscle, etc.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2007, 12:56:30 PM »
When I travel, on flights I have started asking for 2% fat milk as my beverage.  It is the only drink you can order with protein, particluarly important because you cannot take RTD shakes on a plane anymore.

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2007, 04:36:54 PM »
fat free organic milk is not bad for you in any way, its actually good for you to drink once in a while and is a good source of protein.

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 07:30:21 PM »
When I travel, on flights I have started asking for 2% fat milk as my beverage.  It is the only drink you can order with protein, particluarly important because you cannot take RTD shakes on a plane anymore.

maybe you can stick a baggie of whey in your pocket

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 07:34:30 PM »
maybe you can stick a baggie of whey in your pocket

A bag of white powder, on a plane?  uh uh no thank you, I don't want a 10 hour detention while security figures out what it is!

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 07:40:45 PM »
A bag of white powder, on a plane?  uh uh no thank you, I don't want a 10 hour detention while security figures out what it is!

oh my whey is brown

in any case, i guess you may as well just bring some whole foods

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »
oh my whey is brown

in any case, i guess you may as well just bring some whole foods

"oh my"???

my vanilla flavored whey is white, but I don't think security would care about the color- the point is powder and planes don't mix.

Good point on the whole foods, I travel with beef jerkey or turkey jerkey.

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2007, 10:42:05 AM »
"oh my"???

my vanilla flavored whey is white, but I don't think security would care about the color- the point is powder and planes don't mix.

Good point on the whole foods, I travel with beef jerkey or turkey jerkey.

forgot the comma

"oh, my whey is brown"

Cooker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2007, 05:02:50 PM »
Do you know that pasteurized milk turns a dark gray and then add yellow dye#6 into it to make it white again?....sounds yummy!!!

If this were the case, why is it not listed in the ingredients listed on the label?

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2007, 06:43:13 PM »
If this were the case, why is it not listed in the ingredients listed on the label?

Because it's called " GRAS" by the FDA....that means " General Regarded As Safe".
They don't have to put in on the label under this BS law.
Read about it here:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/grasguid.html

Cooker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2007, 06:51:09 PM »
Because it's called " GRAS" by the FDA....that means " General Regarded As Safe".
They don't have to put in on the label under this BS law.
Read about it here:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/grasguid.html

Interesting.

Both Vitamin A,D are on the list but listed as ingredients.  Also I have found that most lables have artifical color listed if found in the food.

None the less, I guess the law says they do not have to be listed.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2007, 07:19:52 PM »
Interesting.

Both Vitamin A,D are on the list but listed as ingredients.  Also I have found that most lables have artifical color listed if found in the food.

Underneath the natural and artificial flavours, an abundance of chemicals are hidden. There is nothing illegal going on here. This is all within the law. Likewise with food labels, they too can include all these ingredients and place them under the umbrella term of ‘flavourings’. It’s really rather frightening.
   The strawberry shake syrup in a Burger King Milkshake contains: corn syrup, water, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, artificial flavour, sodium benzoate (preservative) and coloured with red #40. For a simple food like a milkshake, this list is nothing short of monumental. But if you take a closer look it contains the all too familiar ‘flavour’, both natural and artificial.
   In his book Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser looks at the typical ingredients in a Burger King strawberry milkshake: amyl acetate, amyl butyrate, amyl valerate, anethol, anisyl formate, benzyl acetate, benzyl isobutyrate, butyric acid, cinnamyl isobutyrate, cinnamyl valerate, cognac essential oil, diacetyl, dipropyl ketone, ethyl acetate, ethyl amyl ketone, ethyl butyrate, ethyl cinnamate, ethyl heptanoate, ethyl heptylate, ethyl lactate, ethyl methylphenyl-glycidate, ethyl nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl valerate, heliotropin, hydroxyphenyl-2-butanone, a-ionone, isobutyl anthranilate, isobutyl butyrate, lemon essential oil, maltol, 4-methylacetophenone, methyl anthranilate, methyl benzoate, methyl cinnamate, methyl heptine carbonate, methyl naphthyl ketone, methyl salicylate, mint essential oil, neroli essential oil, nerolin, neryl isobutyrate, orris butter, phenethyl alcohol, rose, run ether, y-undercalctone, vanillin and solvent. These ingredients fall under the " GRAS Law" and doesn't have to be on the label because they say they are in such a small amounts that it won't harm anyone.... ::)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2007, 03:32:49 AM »
   In his book Fast Food Nation, Eric Schlosser

Is the movie of the same name based on that book? 

The scene with Bruce Willis is chilling.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2007, 04:31:21 AM »
Interesting.

If Milk is pasteurized  all valuable enzymes and vitamins are destroyed (lactase for the assimilation of lactose; galactase for the assimilation of galactose; phosphatase for the assimilation of calcium).
  Literally dozens of other precious enzymes are destroyed in the pasteurization process. Without them, milk is very difficult to digest. The human pancreas is not always able to produce these enzymes; over-stress of the pancreas can lead to diabetes and other diseases.
  The butterfat of commercial milk is homogenized, subjecting it to rancidity. Even worse, butterfat may be removed altogether. Skim milk is sold as a health food, but the truth is that butter-fat is in milk for a reason.
   Without it the body cannot absorb and utilize the vitamins and minerals in the water fraction of the milk. Along with valuable trace minerals and short chain fatty acids, butterfat is America's best source of preformed vitamin A.
   Synthetic vitamin D, known to be toxic to the liver, is added to replace the natural vitamin D complex in butterfat. Butterfat also contains re-arranged acids which have strong anti-carcinogenic properties.
  Non-fat dried milk is added to 1% and 2% milk. Unlike the cholesterol in fresh milk, which plays a variety of health promoting roles, the cholesterol in non-fat dried milk is oxidized and it is this rancid cholesterol that promotes heart disease.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2007, 05:56:46 AM »
Dr D,
I have found that as the fat content of store-bought milk increases, so does my intestinal discomfort.  :-[  So I don't seem to be lactose intolerant (since lactose is present in milk of varying fats?), but rather milk-fat intolerant.  Am I reading my reaction correctly?  Do you believe this is caused by pasteurization and wouldn't afflict me so much with raw milk?

Also, raw milk in Western Aus is required to be "filtered"
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/servlet/page?_pageid=449&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&p_start_url=/pls/portal30/docs/FOLDER/IKMP/AAP/DC/MILK/F03999.HTM

I assume this is different from homogenization?

At any rate, I'm going to do some looking around for raw milk and give it a shot.  Thanks for your posts!

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2007, 06:21:49 AM »
Dr D,
I have found that as the fat content of store-bought milk increases, so does my intestinal discomfort.  :-[  So I don't seem to be lactose intolerant (since lactose is present in milk of varying fats?), but rather milk-fat intolerant.  Am I reading my reaction correctly?  Do you believe this is caused by pasteurization and wouldn't afflict me so much with raw milk?

Also, raw milk in Western Aus is required to be "filtered"
http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/servlet/page?_pageid=449&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30&p_start_url=/pls/portal30/docs/FOLDER/IKMP/AAP/DC/MILK/F03999.HTM

I assume this is different from homogenization?

At any rate, I'm going to do some looking around for raw milk and give it a shot.  Thanks for your posts!

you could be allergic to casein. I am unfortunately. All my clients who go with raw milk, never have any problems whatsoever.It's most likely you lack the enzymes for digestion. I would go with raw or none at all.
look here for milk in AUS.
http://www.realmilk.com/where-other.html#aus

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2007, 06:57:29 AM »
Unfortunately, there aren't any sources in Western Aus listed.  I followed a link to a site which said:
Unlike many parts of Europe, the UK and USA, Real Milk is currently illegal to produce or sell in Australia. This website is dedicated to the campaign for the regulated production of Real Milk in Australia. :o

Some google searching has turned up some promising sources tho, so I'll give 'em a call tomorrow.  Some full cream milk is gonna taste daaaamn good.  :P  So if all else fails, I'll ask the guy with dreads that I get MJ from every now and then, or just hijack a tanker like Mad Max.  8)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2007, 08:42:50 AM »
My parents were hippies and I grew up drinking unpasteurized goats milk.  I remember it had this pungent aroma.  I wonder now if I derived health benefits from it later in life?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2007, 08:49:04 AM »
I love me some whole milk. That's the one thing I find hard to give up. I like the full feeling I get from it and ti's loaded with good shit or so the food pyramid tells me!  ;D  It takes less of it to cook with and to add with cereals or shakes because of it's fat content.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2007, 09:00:06 AM »
My parents were hippies and I grew up drinking unpasteurized goats milk.  I remember it had this pungent aroma.  I wonder now if I derived health benefits from it later in life?

I was drinking goat's milk from the farmer I get all my stuff from. The stuff was pungent but it was great for my stomach because the enzymes are more suited for humans than cow's milk. I would make my own shakes with goat's milk, raw peanut butter, coconut oil and a banana...still could taste pungency!!!  :P