Author Topic: volume routine in latest muscle fitness  (Read 1136 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
volume routine in latest muscle fitness
« on: June 02, 2007, 03:23:00 PM »
i rarely buy bodybuilding magazines but i was bored and bought the latest muscle n fitness (among other things it had a pretty cool special about sergio oliva and his son training at the gym)

anyways it got this 4 week volume training routine, now ive rarely trained volume, mostly done fewer sets been more into strength and functional strength etc but i wanna give volume a shot, and im kinda looking for a routine where you hit each bodypart twice a week + i figure for once i'd like to follow one of those magazine routines.

but i dont know man.

this routine seems a little bit over the top, you tell me what you think, i wish they could just print a damn routine that i could follow without having to think it through and make changes LOL

here's hows it goes

* routine is 4 weeks. thats it.
* 6 days. 1 day rest. 6 days 1 day rest etc
* two musclegroups per day only.
* and here's where it gets crazy - first week 8 sets/8 reps. second week 10 sets/10 reps. third week 12 sets/12 reps. fourt and last week 15 sets/15 reps (!) now what the fuck?
*rest between sets 2 minutes.

so week 4 would look like this

monday incline flye 15/15 barbell curl 15/15
tuesday overhead db press 15/15 legpress 15/15
wednesday pulldown 15/15 close grip bp 15/15
thursday bench 15/15 preacher curls 15/15
friday lateral raises 15/15 squat 15/15
saturday bent over row 15/15 triceps pushdown 15/15

now wtf 15 sets of benchpress 15 reps? 15 sets of squats? now obviously we dont talk failure here but still?

tell me what you think  :D

if one thing i wouldnt have the endurance for it

crazy shit.
Z

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: volume routine in latest muscle fitness
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 04:27:21 PM »
it will work,i have done pl since age 13 and upon stoping i now only do 3 execises per bodypart somtimes less but a start at 20-40 reps and work my way down to 1 rep,this sometimes takes 8-12 sets and i build strength and muscle very quick this way.so i think it would work very well for a fitness minded person

i also workout 4-6 days a week depending on my training partner

bench

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 06:22:50 PM »
fucking retarded, so you deload as you go by making the reps higher?  ::) if it was the other way around it would make better sense.
follow the arrows

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 08:56:24 AM »
That is a very interesting concept, new to me. Thought it does sound a bit like the old Ramp training style, but much more extreme. That short 4 week period takes the BP (for example) from 64 reps starting to 225 on the final week. Would you go back to a regular workout scheme after the 4 weeks are over with or repeat the cycle, I wonder? Or take a week off of training time? Heard of 40 to 60 sets a body part for short periods, so wonder if this would be worth looking into for some pure BB'ers.

If anyone would like to strap on a pair and try this systems let the people here all know. You might earn a extra star from GetBig for the experiment. Good Luck.
F

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 09:35:55 AM »
well i dont think my cardio is up for it... strength is there but not the endurance... ive moved from a few sets to 4-5 sets before and it was pretty hard on my breathing, this starts with 8 sets - on the first week! and then 10,12,15...

but let's say you have a background where you've done a lot of high reps and sets before AND combined lifting weights with running, then it would be a different story...

i just dont see me doing 15 sets of legpresses at this stage unfortunately.
Z

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:33:16 PM »
Sounds interesting but very limited.  I can't see how productive a day of Flys and Curls would be, sounds like a high schoolers routine.  I do like the idea that you have to acclimate your body to the volume and you have designated rest time. 

Sidenote:  Try timing your rest periods between sets, you will be suprised how long you take.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »
well i dont think my cardio is up for it... strength is there but not the endurance... ive moved from a few sets to 4-5 sets before and it was pretty hard on my breathing, this starts with 8 sets - on the first week! and then 10,12,15...

but let's say you have a background where you've done a lot of high reps and sets before AND combined lifting weights with running, then it would be a different story...

i just dont see me doing 15 sets of legpresses at this stage unfortunately.

It would be very interesting to see your results from it.

You would have to be really moderate on weight selection through the whole thing I guess.

I suppose the article covers that part, but maybe jpm can give you some suggestions as well.

It's even harder than German Volume Training.

If you're gonna do it, don't even consider cutting. You need to be eating plenty after workouts IMO.

You may end up losing fat, but just make sure to stuff yourself with clean foods after workouts.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise