Author Topic: here's a topic worth discussing....  (Read 928 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
here's a topic worth discussing....
« on: June 03, 2007, 08:10:04 AM »
when do you guys who train hard and heavy on a regular basis feel it's time to move up in weight with any one particular exercise? Do you stick with a certain weight for awhile to let everything catch up with your CNS? Or when it's time, it's time and bump up the intensity.  ???

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: here's a topic worth discussing....
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 08:38:19 AM »
No offense or malice intended..........but:

You must be kidding with those questions...right? You come up with some interesting subject matter and information, from time to time. And seem to have actual gym experience, not like a lot of guy's posting here who say they do. But those are BB'ing for Dummies 101 questions.  When to add weight? Every chance you get. Actually you are training (or should be) the CNS to adapt and advance in every workout. The idea being that each workout should see a increase in weight or reps in any exercise. No matter how small a change. Add a 1 1/4 plate or another rep, any advancement counts in the long run.That is progressive training, the soul of lifting. Good luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 08:44:37 AM »
yeah man take it fro "jpm" him and his training buds do quarter inch bench lockouts with 25,056,985,123,446,889 pounds.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »
No offense or malice intended..........but:

You must be kidding with those questions...right? You come up with some interesting subject matter and information, from time to time. And seem to have actual gym experience, not like a lot of guy's posting here who say they do. But those are BB'ing for Dummies 101 questions.  When to add weight? Every chance you get. Actually you are training (or should be) the CNS to adapt and advance in every workout. The idea being that each workout should see a increase in weight or reps in any exercise. No matter how small a change. Add a 1 1/4 plate or another rep, any advancement counts in the long run.That is progressive training, the soul of lifting. Good luck.

This is what prompted the question. A and P class says, just like most fitness gurus know, that your cns adapts QUICKLY to get your muscle to work in a certain way to adapt to move a certain weight. NOW to get those muscle where they handle the weight EASILY, that takes some time. Say 3-4 weeks. Ligaments and tendons  take even longer. Sometimes as long as 8 weeks to adapt due to the type of tissue they're made up of. That being said. If you're CNS says you're ready, how are you for sure to know it's time to move up without major risk of injury? I move good weights around but I am progressing ridiculously fast in certain exercises to the point that I wanted to get some feedback on this particular topic. A 50-60lb jump in a matter of two or 3 weeks in a particular exercise doesn't warrant a reason to be concerned for injury? You can't tell me ALL of your connective tissue adapts that fast to outside stimulus.

I come up with these questions to better my understanding.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 09:40:17 AM »
for me i dont have cns in mind but i wanna be comfortable with a weight performance wise... let's say i barely get 8 reps, then im not in the position to go 9 reps a few days later... i rather make it clear that i "own" that 8 rep and can do it with good form... but it depends on exercise, some are easier than others to add weight to

some do add microweights etc and it does make sense let's say you focus on your bench and eventually adding small weights to the bar will add up over time, but to actually do it is another story, i cant say i personally bother with it...
then there's other ways to work with the intensity etc like shortening rest between sets and so on

but it might be different depending on your goals. like i said, if getting a better bench was my #1 priority i might be more scientific about it
Z