Author Topic: workouts for bis  (Read 7551 times)

dallas

• Getbig II
workouts for bis
« on: June 04, 2007, 05:20:08 PM »
what is some good exercises to build a peak for bis

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: workouts for bis
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 06:41:56 PM »
Hammer curls...........if you are not genetically predisposed to having a peaked bicep,they can make the bicep appear a bit higher,but if you have no peak genetically,all the concetration curls and preacher curls in the world will not give you one.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:02:51 PM »
Hammer curls...........if you are not genetically predisposed to having a peaked bicep,they can make the bicep appear a bit higher,but if you have no peak genetically,all the concetration curls and preacher curls in the world will not give you one.

It's a little confusing, the whole genetic question. Basically if you don't try different exercises you'll never know in fact whether you've realized full potential.

Hammer curls are good for forearms and lower bis; i've never heard them suggested for peak.

For peak:

-Preacher bench turned around, using 90 degree angle
-Seated lat machine curls, curling the bar down and behind the head. Try it facing both front and back. Or about the same effect, medium-grip palms facing you chins.
-Spider curls
-Incline DB curls
-Drag curls
-Concentration curls of course, but i like the above exercises better.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 09:03:51 PM »
some people and pros dont have good genetics but they  are a hard worker. that over comes peole with genetic gifts. i.e. Dorian Yates always beat the genetic freaks like flex,kevin and etc genetcis can be good and bad. the most genetic freaks never really trained as hard and they rested on the fact they had good genetics.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 09:32:26 PM »
some people and pros dont have good genetics but they  are a hard worker. that over comes peole with genetic gifts. i.e. Dorian Yates always beat the genetic freaks like flex,kevin and etc genetcis can be good and bad. the most genetic freaks never really trained as hard and they rested on the fact they had good genetics.

Well there's some truth to that on the other hand it's not that black and white there are some with genetic gifts who also train hard, like Coleman. Plus i'd say if you look at pics of Yates standing beside some of the other top guys it was more than his work ethic IMO, it was also contest politics that helped him there's no way he always legitimately beat those other guys.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:42:57 PM »
Well there's some truth to that on the other hand it's not that black and white there are some with genetic gifts who also train hard, like Coleman. Plus i'd say if you look at pics of Yates standing beside some of the other top guys it was more than his work ethic IMO, it was also contest politics that helped him there's no way he always legitimately beat those other guys.
Pretty true.  Levrone should have had a couple of O's against Yates and Coleman.  Coleman trained hardest, Levrone pretty hard as well plus best response second to Arnold in terms of drugs.  Flex and  Dillet were laziest IMO and could have done much more.  Even Yates said Flex would have beat him if he cared.  Flex admitted he never liked to lift.  If Flex would have trained harder, used less synthol, and cheated on his diet less he would have broken some records.
Squishy face retard

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 01:56:08 AM »
what is some good exercises to build a peak for bis

Alot of people say that you cant improve your peak unless you've got genetics for it, but i tend to disagree abit.  I find that when i do heavy barbell exercises for biceps they appear thicker but also slightly flatter.  Try doing concentration curls that way Arnold used to, some days i only do this one exercise for a few sets and i can see a notable change in biceps peak.  You need to really focus on the contraction for it to work, and if you dont believe something can work - it never will.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 03:28:43 AM »
My post was referring to buildiing the brachialus which will give the illusion of biceps height,but if you don`t naturally have a peaked shaped bicep,not much can change it to any noticeable extent......just look at Sergio as an example,I`m sure he did preachers and concentration curls but still had a long flat biceps in spite of his eforts,Scott on the other hand probably never had to do either exercise and still would have had great peaks.

You can`t fool mother nature.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 06:03:26 AM »
My post was referring to buildiing the brachialus which will give the illusion of biceps height,but if you don`t naturally have a peaked shaped bicep,not much can change it to any noticeable extent......just look at Sergio as an example,I`m sure he did preachers and concentration curls but still had a long flat biceps in spite of his eforts,Scott on the other hand probably never had to do either exercise and still would have had great peaks.

You can`t fool mother nature.

Actually Scott's proof that you should'n't just accept the genetics theory. Like Sergio and Levrone he never had great peaks either, was known more for full bis, not great peaks. After retirement he kept working them but included more emphasis on different exercises and actually changed the shape and increased the peak in his 40s, 50s and 60s.

For all we know the same might be possible with others like Sergio given the right exercises to bring out full potential. It's only by giving attention to a range of exercises such as spider curls and 90 degree preacher that we know for certain that all potential's been tapped.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 07:07:04 AM »
Earlier shots with full bis:

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
Very good pics Pumpster,and I guess pictures don`t lie.I have seen these before BTW,but in the majority of cases this is a rarity.

If the guy asking the question is 20 years old,then maybe by the time he`s Larrys age,he might have developed more of a peak.......then again,maybe not!!  :)

Just kidding,but you see what I`m getting at.

Anyway,good luck to him.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 02:45:51 PM »
Very good pics Pumpster,and I guess pictures don`t lie.I have seen these before BTW,but in the majority of cases this is a rarity.

If the guy asking the question is 20 years old,then maybe by the time he`s Larrys age,he might have developed more of a peak.......then again,maybe not!!  :)

It's only a rarity because most don't take the time or effort to find out. Nothing to do with age.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »
You may be right,and probably are.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 01:36:46 AM »
There was an article in Muscle Builder/Power in May 1975 about how Arnold built his famous bicep peaks.  Of course Arnold was greatly gifted in this area but like Pumpster has shown with Scott, if you really focus on it you can make a difference.  I may scan the article and post it incase anyones interested.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »
If you do focus on the biceps and triceps, outstanding results can follow. Showing those 19" or 20"  cannons will blow most people away.  But if genetic limits are in place, those extra high peaks ( so high that they have snow on them most of the year) can never develop. You may develop impressive hills but not the Alps. If your bicep inserts are longer and nearer the elbow joints than the chances are a flatter and/or wider muscle is the result. Further away from the elbows bicep inserts can give a potential for a much higher peak. If a higher impressive bicep peak could be developed by hard training time (and a little chemical help) than all the Pro's would show that development. Lot of 20"/21" arms out there, full and well rounded but minus that higher peak.

Like Columbo and his low and wide lats. A genetic reward without a doubt. Scott is a perfect example of a man who had much less to start with than most other future BB'ers. Medium boned, narrow shoulder/body frame Through shear effort and planning he became one of the all time greats. That second pic of him (from the top) supplied by Pumpster, is just amazing. Must have been at the time when he did have a true 20" arm, for a short period anyway. Gironda style Preacher curls (for the most part) and making the most of  hidden genetic potential that took him from a good BB'ing arm  at his beginning, to the extreme development shown in latter years. If he had been born with longer bicep inserts, than perhaps that arm would not have been quite that impressive.

Guy's who trained with a variety of bicep exercises seem to have the advantage in the outstanding arms department; machines, cables, compound movements, etc.. People I've actually seen and talked to tend to favor a cheat style BB curl, incline hanging DB curls and Scott bench, one arm DB curls. But they all seem to go back to the BB curl, from time to time, as one of their favorites. That higher peak just seems to come with their training, no matter what type bicep movement they are doing. That is ,if anyone is blessed that way. Good Luck.
F

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 11:50:53 PM »
Here's the article. When i post the pics they dont show up as large as they actually are, making it difficult to read the text.  If anyone wants i can also post just the text parts...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 11:51:57 PM »
 :)

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 12:26:18 AM »

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 06:50:08 AM »
I'd forgotten about the "Weider Research Clinic" LOL you knew even back then that it never existed.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 05:49:51 PM »
I'd forgotten about the "Weider Research Clinic" LOL you knew even back then that it never existed.

hahahaha yea, and the advertisements in the old mags were hilarious too.  The "Killer Karate Krusher" and "Panther suit".

darkwolfa

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 10:08:59 AM »
Good!
But for Peak with most exercies you do for example you will work Brachialis not Biceps!
And here is the secret,Larry already said fact when we move elbows forward more we work brachialis (and shoulders) - if we raise elbow near to the head we wil turn off biceps,and will activate only brachialis (btw single join)!
And because as we all know brachialis is under biceps he raise the biceps and it seems like biceps peak!
Many articles and magazines and Pro's speak about exercises and area like its all biceps,but it is biceps brachii,brachialis,bracioradialis and Pronator Teres - you have 4 muscle to develop not only 1!
Like Arnold said for triceps we have 3 heads and must doind exercises for all try heads alone!
It's a little confusing, the whole genetic question. Basically if you don't try different exercises you'll never know in fact whether you've realized full potential.

Hammer curls are good for forearms and lower bis; i've never heard them suggested for peak.

For peak:

-Preacher bench turned around, using 90 degree angle
-Seated lat machine curls, curling the bar down and behind the head. Try it facing both front and back. Or about the same effect, medium-grip palms facing you chins.
-Spider curls
-Incline DB curls
-Drag curls
-Concentration curls of course, but i like the above exercises better.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 12:16:54 PM »
Good!
But for Peak with most exercies you do for example you will work Brachialis not Biceps!
And here is the secret,Larry already said fact when we move elbows forward more we work brachialis (and shoulders) - if we raise elbow near to the head we wil turn off biceps,and will activate only brachialis (btw single join)!
And because as we all know brachialis is under biceps he raise the biceps and it seems like biceps peak!
Many articles and magazines and Pro's speak about exercises and area like its all biceps,but it is biceps brachii,brachialis,bracioradialis and Pronator Teres - you have 4 muscle to develop not only 1!
Like Arnold said for triceps we have 3 heads and must doind exercises for all try heads alone!

I think you're saying different exercises are needed to hit different areas. Anything else? :o

darkwolfa

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
Yeah!May be because bad english it is not very clean,but you got the point!
Different grips and exercise hit different muscles!
And Brachialis is very important for biceps peak!

I think you're saying different exercises are needed to hit different areas. Anything else? :o