Author Topic: Sen. Clinton: Faith got me through marital strife  (Read 1530 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Sen. Clinton: Faith got me through marital strife
« on: June 05, 2007, 09:45:31 AM »
God and Eleanor Roosevolt got her through?   :)

Sen. Clinton: Faith got me through marital strife
POSTED: 11:50 a.m. EDT, June 5, 2007
Story Highlights• Democratic presidential candidates discuss religion at evangelical forum
• Clinton: "I'm not sure I would have gotten through" marital strife without faith
• "I sin every single day," says Edwards. "We are all sinners"
• Obama says there is a risk in viewing the world as good versus evil
Adjust font size:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- In a rare public discussion of her husband's infidelity, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton said Monday that she probably could not have gotten through her marital troubles without relying on her faith in God.

Clinton stood by her actions in the aftermath of former President Clinton's admission that he had an affair, including presumably her decision to stay in the marriage.

"I am very grateful that I had a grounding in faith that gave me the courage and the strength to do what I thought was right, regardless of what the world thought," Clinton said during a forum where the three leading Democratic presidential candidates talked about faith and values. (Watch Clinton and other candidates talk about how their faith guides them )

"I'm not sure I would have gotten through it without my faith," she said in response to a question about how she dealt with the infidelity.

The forum, sponsored by the liberal Sojourners/Call to Renewal evangelical organization, provided an uncommon glimpse into the most personal beliefs of Clinton and rivals John Edwards and Barack Obama. The three candidates were invited by Sojourners founder Jim Wallis; most of the other Democratic candidates appeared on CNN later Monday to discuss their faith.

The most intimate question came about the Clintons' relationship, one of the world's most debated marriages but one that the husband and wife rarely speak openly about.

Clinton said she's "been tested in ways that are both publicly known and those that are not so well known or not known at all." She said it's those times when her personal faith and the prayers of others sustain her. (Watch Clinton talk about how God helped her through tough times )

"At those moments in time when you are tested, it is absolutely essential that you be grounded in your faith," she said.

Edwards: 'I sin every single day'
Edwards revealed that he prays -- and sins -- every day. The crowd gasped loudly when moderator Soledad O'Brien asked Edwards to name the biggest sin he ever committed, and he won their applause when he said he would have a hard time naming one thing.

"I sin every single day," said Edwards, the 2004 vice presidential nominee. "We are all sinners and we all fall short."

Edwards, wearing a purple tie to match Sojourners' signature color, promoted himself as the candidate most committed to the group's mission of fighting poverty. He said he doesn't feel his belief in evolution is inconsistent with his belief in Christ and he doesn't personally feel gays should be married, although as president he wouldn't impose his belief system on the rest of the country.

"I have a deep and abiding love for my Lord, Jesus Christ," Edwards said, but he said the United States shouldn't be called a Christian nation.

He said he has been going to church since he was a child and was baptized as a teen. He said he strayed from his faith as an adult and it came "roaring back" when his teenage son died in 1996. (Watch Edwards talk about his religious beliefs and how they play a role in his life )

"It was the Lord that got me through that," Edwards said, along with both of his wife's cancer diagnoses.

Clinton acknowledged that talking about her religious beliefs doesn't come naturally to her.

"I take my faith very seriously and very personally," she said. "And I come from a tradition that is perhaps a little too suspicious of people who wear their faith on their sleeves."

Each candidate was given 15 minutes to appear before the packed auditorium at George Washington University's Lisner Auditorium and a live audience on CNN. They were questioned by O'Brien and by church leaders across the country.

Good verses evil
Obama's appearance focused more on policy than the personal. Asked whether he agreed with President Bush's portrayal of the current global struggles in terms of good verses evil, Obama said there is a risk in viewing the world in such terms. (Watch Obama talk about the risks of viewing the world as a battle between good and evil )

He said he believes that the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001, were the result of evil. But he said that the United States' treatment of prisoners at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay is unjust.

"The danger of using good verses evil in the context of war is that it may lead us to be not as critical as we should about our own actions," Obama said to applause.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/05/democrats.religion.ap/index.html

Laughing Sam's Dice

• Getbig IV
  • $12.95 per monthman
Re: Sen. Clinton: Faith got me through marital strife
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 09:47:36 AM »
"The danger of using good verses evil in the context of war is that it may lead us to be not as critical as we should about our own actions," Obama said to applause.

Bump for rational thought.
Stick out your tongue.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2007, 10:02:54 AM »
Obama bombed big-time in that debate on Sunday.   :o

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 10:05:43 AM »
Obama bombed big-time in that debate on Sunday.   :o

I agree.  With all the hype, my expectations were a little high.  I was underwhelmed.  His comments were disjointed and he provided little more than sound bites.   

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2007, 10:12:11 AM »
I agree.  With all the hype, my expectations were a little high.  I was underwhelmed.  His comments were disjointed and he provided little more than sound bites.   
I always had the inclination that he has no substance.  And it showed Sunday night.  John Edwards, on the other hand, came out looking pretty good.  Joe Biden shocked me too.

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 10:18:52 AM »
hillary allowed bill to stick his weenie in other womens mouth because for one she had a secret affair and two, it would have ruined her political ambitions.

she has faith?  oh please.....democrats hate god.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 10:19:16 AM »
I always has the inclination that he has no substance.  And it showed Sunday night.  John Edwards, on the other hand, came out looking pretty good.  Joe Biden shocked me too.

I didn't watch but every commentator I have heard said Edwards bombed...he has dropped to below 8%
gotta love life

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:21:39 AM »
I always has the inclination that he has no substance.  And it showed Sunday night.  John Edwards, on the other hand, came out looking pretty good.  Joe Biden shocked me too.

I had the same questions about him.  He became a rock star based on one speech.

Edwards was aggressive, but he lost me when he talked about raising taxes.  He won't be getting my vote.  

I actually thought Richardson had the best credentials, but he won't sniff the nomination.  

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:41:12 AM »
I had the same questions about him.  He became a rock star based on one speech.

Edwards was aggressive, but he lost me when he talked about raising taxes.  He won't be getting my vote.  

I actually thought Richardson had the best credentials, but he won't sniff the nomination.  
Forgot to mention Richardson.  I would have to agree with Edwards being more aggressive.  I guess I just wasn't expecting that from him.  He's definitely trying to separate himself from the pack.  I'll be honest though, this group isn't looking but so impressive.  And I'm not impressed with the media's choice for the Republican candidates either. 

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 10:56:15 AM »
Can anyone blame Bill for going outside his marriage for sex?

I don't think the majority of Americans really give a rat's ass considering the souless man hating hag he married.

I just wish he would have been honest about getting caught.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 10:59:50 AM »
Kennedy got this right almost 50 years ago.

The full speech is here:  http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Speeches/JFK/JFK+Pre-Pres/Address+of+Senator+John+F.+Kennedy+to+the+Greater+Houston+Ministerial+Association.htm

Here's an excerpt:

I believe in an America where the separation of church and state is absolute--where no Catholic prelate would tell the President (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishoners for whom to vote--where no church or church school is granted any public funds or political preference--and where no man is denied public office merely because his religion differs from the President who might appoint him or the people who might elect him.

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish--where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source--where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials--and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

For while this year it may be a Catholic against whom the finger of suspicion is pointed, in other years it has been, and may someday be again, a Jew--or a Quaker--or a Unitarian--or a Baptist. It was Virginia's harassment of Baptist preachers, for example, that helped lead to Jefferson's statute of religious freedom. Today I may be the victim- -but tomorrow it may be you--until the whole fabric of our harmonious society is ripped at a time of great national peril.

Finally, I believe in an America where religious intolerance will someday end--where all men and all churches are treated as equal--where every man has the same right to attend or not attend the church of his choice--where there is no Catholic vote, no anti-Catholic vote, no bloc voting of any kind--and where Catholics, Protestants and Jews, at both the lay and pastoral level, will refrain from those attitudes of disdain and division which have so often marred their works in the past, and promote instead the American ideal of brotherhood.

That is the kind of America in which I believe. And it represents the kind of Presidency in which I believe--a great office that must neither be humbled by making it the instrument of any one religious group nor tarnished by arbitrarily withholding its occupancy from the members of any one religious group. I believe in a President whose religious views are his own private affair, neither imposed by him upon the nation or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 11:06:28 AM »
Forgot to mention Richardson.  I would have to agree with Edwards being more aggressive.  I guess I just wasn't expecting that from him.  He's definitely trying to separate himself from the pack.  I'll be honest though, this group isn't looking but so impressive.  And I'm not impressed with the media's choice for the Republican candidates either. 

I agree.  Here are my thoughts after watching the Democrat debate Sunday night:  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=152566.0

I'm going to try and catch the Republican debate today.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 01:43:41 PM »
I agree.  Here are my thoughts after watching the Democrat debate Sunday night:  http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=152566.0

I'm going to try and catch the Republican debate today.
I busted out laughing when I saw the "Hillary's a cold fish" comment!   ;D  LOL

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Sen. Clinton: Faith got me through marital strife (Edwards Quotes)
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2008, 08:52:05 PM »
Edwards: 'I sin every single day'
Edwards revealed that he prays -- and sins -- every day. The crowd gasped loudly when moderator Soledad O'Brien asked Edwards to name the biggest sin he ever committed, and he won their applause when he said he would have a hard time naming one thing.

"I sin every single day," said Edwards, the 2004 vice presidential nominee. "We are all sinners and we all fall short."

Edwards, wearing a purple tie to match Sojourners' signature color, promoted himself as the candidate most committed to the group's mission of fighting poverty. He said he doesn't feel his belief in evolution is inconsistent with his belief in Christ and he doesn't personally feel gays should be married, although as president he wouldn't impose his belief system on the rest of the country.

"I have a deep and abiding love for my Lord, Jesus Christ," Edwards said, but he said the United States shouldn't be called a Christian nation.

He said he has been going to church since he was a child and was baptized as a teen. He said he strayed from his faith as an adult and it came "roaring back" when his teenage son died in 1996. (Watch Edwards talk about his religious beliefs and how they play a role in his life )

"It was the Lord that got me through that," Edwards said, along with both of his wife's cancer diagnoses.

Clinton acknowledged that talking about her religious beliefs doesn't come naturally to her.

"I take my faith very seriously and very personally," she said. "And I come from a tradition that is perhaps a little too suspicious of people who wear their faith on their sleeves."

Everyone makes mistakes, but this guy was a grade A hypocrite and louse of the first order. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2008, 09:02:33 PM »
Everyone makes mistakes, but this guy was a grade A hypocrite and louse of the first order. 

not only is it weird to respond to yourself but even weirder that a devout christian such as yourself would be so judgemental of the human flaws of another person  ::)

for some reason I keep expecting people who are "saved" to act more compassionate and less judgemental

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 09:14:51 PM »
not only is it weird to respond to yourself but even weirder that a devout christian such as yourself would be so judgemental of the human flaws of another person  ::)

for some reason I keep expecting people who are "saved" to act more compassionate and less judgemental

Not responding to myself.  I'm quoting Edwards.   ::) 

I am harder on people who claim to be Christian, while acting like hypocrites, than people who don't do things like run for public office based in part on their self-proclaimed piety.

The issue is Edwards.  It is outrageous that the guy tried to pretend like he couldn't even name a "sin" he had committed.   ::)   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 09:23:04 PM »
Not responding to myself.  I'm quoting Edwards.   ::) 

I am harder on people who claim to be Christian, while acting like hypocrites, than people who don't do things like run for public office based in part on their self-proclaimed piety.

The issue is Edwards.  It is outrageous that the guy tried to pretend like he couldn't even name a "sin" he had committed.   ::)   

thank Jebus you're here to pass judgment just in case God wasn't paying attention

::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 09:24:02 PM »
thank Jebus you're here to pass judgment just in case God wasn't paying attention

::)

Anytime Stick Boy.  Go and sin no more. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2008, 09:26:17 PM »
Anytime Stick Boy.  Go and sin no more. 

I'll sin all I fucking want to

I'm sure you will too