Author Topic: Calves, why are they so hard to grow?  (Read 57235 times)

Xerxes

Calves, why are they so hard to grow?
« on: June 06, 2007, 04:14:10 AM »

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
Re: Calves, why are they so hard to grow?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 04:20:00 AM »
Any views on this? Is it just a case of genetics? Or do you think its possible to dramatically increase their size like with other bodyparts? Didnt arnold add 2 inches to his in one year? What do you think?

Size is trouble for me, I also have somewhat high calves. I will be just happy to get them nice and cut up. I envy all those who have naturally big calves but then again they tend to be the same guys that want a back or chest like mine.
I

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 04:24:19 AM »
Any views on this? Is it just a case of genetics? Or do you think its possible to dramatically increase their size like with other bodyparts? Didnt arnold add 2 inches to his in one year? What do you think?

Basically it's like this, your calves and legs are the most used bodyparts of any you have.  You walk and work them with every step you take.  THis is why for "most" you have to do crazy calf workouts to get growth, like 3 different excersise's with drop sets, double or triple sets.  Rest pause's, things like this.  Do one movement and then drop to bodyweight raises for like 50 reps.  You have to do crazy things to get them to grow. 

Then fo some it's just not gonna happen, like Johnny Jackson   ;D

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:27:57 AM »
Yeah unfortunately it has a lot to do with genetics, thats not to say that you should give up on them. What do you guys consider big calves? I'm 17 years old and have 17 inch calves, yet to me my calves don't look very big. But i think that a big set of calves makes a physique complete. Nothing worse than seeing a guy with a big upper-body and tiny little calves.
No doubt about it...

Stavios

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:36:56 AM »
I'll be training them every other day at the begginning of every workout in the off-season

maybe it will work  :(

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 04:39:40 AM »
I envy all those who have naturally big calves

like myself. but i also have a huge back and shoulders.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 04:40:39 AM »

Rest pause's,

these are very good for calf development.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 04:44:14 AM »
Giant-Sets........4-5 different exercises in a row,no rest between exercises,full range of motion,half reps to failure after no more full reps can be completed....did I mention full range of motion?

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 04:45:28 AM »
I don't know...my calves grow just fine...

ask bast

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2007, 04:47:53 AM »
My calves are small but they have good shape, i hope they can get bigger cuz they would look good.

do negatives on the leg press machine....but be careful u may have trouble walking for a week.
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2007, 04:52:33 AM »
Do you think fat people have naturally big calves or is this a myth?

it seems that way, but when alot of fat people lose the weight, u'll notice the calf muscles arent that big  ;)
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 04:54:25 AM »
I read somewhere that the Calves are the one bodypart that has the least nerves (apparently the nose has more nerves than the calves) so it is hard to stimulate them correctly.
Like I said it's just another theory.

On the other hand If I think of myself, yes the calves grow slow, but so are my biceps who always need extra attention, if I on the other hand look at my back traps and lats I can nearly see some size change every 3-4 Month.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 05:12:16 AM »
if you can't grow your calves, well... that's what calf implants are for ;D. Ask flex wheeler
Get Big, or Die Trying

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 05:16:52 AM »
I read somewhere that the Calves are the one bodypart that has the least nerves (apparently the nose has more nerves than the calves) so it is hard to stimulate them correctly.
Like I said it's just another theory.

I believe it, I have had some big bruises on my calves before and never really noticed it untill it was poked or proded but when walking or exercising it was like it wasn't even there.
I

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 05:20:37 AM »
I had shit calves until about a year ago, they're not pro level or anything like that but they look alot better than they used to.  Even if I totally decide DC training blows in the future I'll always train my calves using DC's methods, weight as heavy as you can handle for 12-15 reps, every rep is done with a nice slow negative down into a deep stretch, hold the stretch for a slow 15 count and expolde up.  You might want to start a little lighter than you think you can cause it's intense.  I use movements where my legs are straight-Donkeys, Standing, calf sled, toe press on the leg press machines, etc.  Constantly try to add weight once you can't get 12 reps on a movement drop it and pic a new one.  I do one movement a workout, training them once a week on week one and twice a week on week 2 and then repeat.  also after I fail I stop, shake my calves out for about 10 seconds and start doing partials until I literally can't budge the weight at all.

I hope that makes sense, if it doesn't let me know and I'll type up something that describes it a little better.
nasser=piece of shit

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 05:38:28 AM »
Yeah I tried training my calfs dc-style once and I always do slow negatives now but I dont train them very often..

For god sake shave them  :-X

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 05:39:12 AM »
I agree w/MikeThaMachines view on calf building.Along w/the forearms they are the muscles most continually used on a daily basis.Thus to get the suckers to grow you really need to find out what works in the way of exercises for you w/them & up the intensity in regards to them compared to your other muscle groups.
As to fat ppl. having bigger calves I feel it's a myth.A friendd of mine once told me he found that I had small calves compared to him & I must admit I thought his were bigger than mine also.We measured them & we were actually the same measurement!

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 05:48:25 AM »
I agree w/MikeThaMachines view on calf building.Along w/the forearms they are the muscles most continually used on a daily basis.Thus to get the suckers to grow you really need to find out what works in the way of exercises for you w/them & up the intensity in regards to them compared to your other muscle groups.
As to fat ppl. having bigger calves I feel it's a myth.A friendd of mine once told me he found that I had small calves compared to him & I must admit I thought his were bigger than mine also.We measured them & we were actually the same measurement!

Funny you say that, over the last few months my calves have only grown 1/2-3/4 of an inch (they still aren't that big) but the shape and cuts and changed a decent amount, hence they look bigger then they really are now. Calves for me tends to be a half hour of set after set with drops and super sets, I usually can't flex them hard for days afterwards without cramping. Some guys with the naturally big ones just needs to shape them while those without them need to pound the shit out of them to makes them both grow and get good shape. Either way it's not like it's impossible to get them big, you just got to be consistant and not give up after a few YEARS of trying cause it can take a good while for them to get that freaky rock hard look.

Also in regards to certain exercises I find it take me time to get used to a movement before I can add weight. I started doing most with just bodyweight about 6 months ago cause I started using more machines and wanted to have the movement down before I added much weight. Now I can throw on decent weight and still get out great form on my reps.
I

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 06:10:44 AM »
genetics, its either you got em or you dont..

end of thread

L

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 06:11:55 AM »
genetics, its either you got em or you dont..

end of thread

Agree, you can improve them if they are horrible but they never will look great.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2007, 06:17:07 AM »
Agree, you can improve them if they are horrible but they never will look great.

It's rubbish and it's another lame excuse for anybody who's sick of training them.... there are too many people still alive and kicking that had horrible calves and made some real efforts to train the hard and succeeded.
They are as any other muscle group, if you don't train the right way you don't see any results.

There are too many people running around blaming anything and everything on genetics it's ridicules and lame as fuck IMHO ::)

Saxon

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy Metal Thunder
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2007, 06:21:08 AM »

I think I am the only fat person with small calves  :'(

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2007, 06:22:48 AM »
I think I am the only fat person with small calves  :'(

ok bluto ;)

-5 Stark points for finally comming out with the truth-

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2007, 06:24:38 AM »

it seems that way, but when alot of fat people lose the weight, u'll notice the calf muscles arent that big  ;)

Exactly.  In other words, fat people have fat calves.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2007, 06:25:13 AM »

i agree...Its like all the pros you see with small calves and forearms...After all, they are PROS, so i dont think they lack this muscles just because they are lazy or things like that...genetics really are the most important thing in these 2 muscle groups for what it seems...
!