Author Topic: pre synthol arms  (Read 56557 times)

Figo

• Getbig V
Re: pre synthol arms
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2007, 04:55:36 AM »

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2007, 05:05:01 AM »

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2007, 07:17:54 AM »
today's pics
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2007, 07:22:12 AM »
a few more
F

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2007, 11:02:17 AM »
Did Ricky Wayne have much success as a competitor?

Seemed to have retired pretty young. Was in good shape when writing for Weider.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2007, 02:26:35 PM »
Most of these dudes, Pettis  on down, had better arms than today's pros. I get what pumpster was saying about Lee Priest lacking definition and refinement after looking at suck pics. Bucci's arms were on point.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2007, 12:27:47 AM »
Also genetic, imo, Priest due to short limbs, can only attain a certain blend of immense size and definition.

Remember, a lot of Priest pics are offseason, he does have some cross striations on the bis too.

Sergio due to movement limitations, also lacked sepration and definition (he could have otherwise acquired, not generally).

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2007, 07:40:15 AM »
rick wayne had some success as competitor, however he was held back as was freddie oritz by a lack of comparable leg developement, he severly hurt his neck nerve damage when he tried to make a comeback when he was working for weider's mags.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2007, 09:30:09 AM »
monday's arms
F

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »
fox had some great arms, big, thick and dense. it's got me fucked as to why he had so much difficulty retaining his trademark size when it came competition time. :-\

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
fox had some great arms, big, thick and dense. it's got me fucked as to why he had so much difficulty retaining his trademark size when it came competition time. :-\

I think Brutal was just a victim of his body not being in fassion at the time he was young. I consider him one of The Most ShortChanged BBers of all time. When it's clear that your never go too far, even when you know your superior,
it cant help w/ motivation. Yes he never seemed to really dial it in and get supper ripped, but in them days it was not to the standard we have now.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2007, 12:06:34 AM »
Yeah, for the time, he wasnt exactly off...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2007, 08:58:53 AM »
today's pics
F

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2007, 09:33:25 AM »
I think Brutal was just a victim of his body not being in fassion at the time he was young. I consider him one of The Most ShortChanged BBers of all time. When it's clear that your never go too far, even when you know your superior,
it cant help w/ motivation. Yes he never seemed to really dial it in and get supper ripped, but in them days it was not to the standard we have now.

i agree, fox did seem to get the short end of the stick.

he just had so much thickness and density and his arms were unbelievable. pity he didn't get the comp down. it's like he was out of the loop drug wise or something when he was standing next to some of the other guys.

i don't know how many times he got ripped off but, to my way of thinking, if it was a racism thing why was haney winning every olympia during foxy's time. plus, fox got a lot of exposure in the mags etc. he was a fan favourite and, after sergio, he was my favourite bber as a kid.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2007, 10:15:34 AM »
Coe looks geat there.

Casey looks like hes letting out a mean fart.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2007, 10:43:13 AM »
Coe looks geat there.

Casey looks like hes letting out a mean fart.

considering casey was about 18yrs old in that pic, his limbs are off the scale. look at those fucking legs. :o

boyer was more complete obviously and had the advantage of muscle maturity and better shape. that pic was probably taken at arthur jones' ranch. coe stayed there a while and ended up embracing hit.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2007, 01:43:37 PM »
Love that Photo of Casey, talk about NO NECK! ;D

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2007, 11:56:25 PM »
It was taken at Jones' compound, and yes, Viator had 19in arms at 19, which is his age there, very big guy. Still  funny pose though... ;D

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2007, 10:32:21 AM »
ha ha, you get the feeling that casey was never going to go for that frank zane statuesque symmetretical thing.

"JACK JOB, NOT NAME!" >:(

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2007, 05:29:08 PM »
Fox was only one of many who were unfairly denied. Most ended up retiring or leaving the IFBB around that same time-Robinson, Fox, Szkalak, Padilla, Mentzer. In the case of the first three it was attitude as well as race; Weider understandably didn't want surly personalities representing the sport. Oliva was already cast out and competing against those guys in non-IFBB shows.

While i understand Weider's desire for winners with civility ie Zane, Dickerson, Bannout, Haney, it's a shame because with a little more compromise to the guys mentioned above as well as greater fairness Weider could've allowed BB to be a lot more interesting post-Schwarzenegger.

The above names could've taken turns deservedly winning Olympias instead of the so-so bunch that did. It would've allowed the development & retention of long-term rivalries that never lasted because of the political hijinks that led to the departure of most of the best BBs of the day. With that happening all these great BBs might stuck around till the mid-late 80s.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »
Good eye for politics pump, I allways suspected Bertil didn't fit into the corporate world very well, racism
don't fly w/ me, Weider didn't seem racist, although a white champ was more valuable to him.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2007, 06:39:45 PM »
Like me, Weiders are Canadian and less prone to color. What they were concerned with was magazine & supplement sales, for which well mannered BBs were of course more appealing, white if possible.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: June 28, 2007, 06:40:26 AM »
Fox was only one of many who were unfairly denied. Most ended up retiring or leaving the IFBB around that same time-Robinson, Fox, Szkalak, Padilla, Mentzer. In the case of the first three it was attitude as well as race; Weider understandably didn't want surly personalities representing the sport. Oliva was already cast out and competing against those guys in non-IFBB shows.

While i understand Weider's desire for winners with civility ie Zane, Dickerson, Bannout, Haney, it's a shame because with a little more compromise to the guys mentioned above as well as greater fairness Weider could've allowed BB to be a lot more interesting post-Schwarzenegger.

The above names could've taken turns deservedly winning Olympias instead of the so-so bunch that did. It would've allowed the development & retention of long-term rivalries that never lasted because of the political hijinks that led to the departure of most of the best BBs of the day. With that happening all these great BBs might stuck around till the mid-late 80s.

good post

i actually think weider and his anal retentive politics did more to retard bbing than progressing it.

i don't pretend to know which one was the bigger fuck up, ben or joe. i tend to think ben. he seemed completely deluded on what bbing was all about. in fact, when i look at ben i have no idea why he was involved with bbing in the 1st place. i may be wrong, but he seemed to have napoleon syndrome.

the funny thing is that, apart from joe bringing arnold to usa, arnold did EVERYTHING to promote bbing from his own back. he was simply that type of personality that would not be denied. i actually think, if anything, joe and ben tried to hold him back at times, probably felt he was getting too big for his boots, but arnold was relentless. he knew that if he got the public on side no one could stop him. it worked and he's been doing it ever since. ben and joe just went along for the ride and they're still attempting to squeeze that ride dry (arnold still makes the covers ::)) don't you think it's interesting that, despite arnold's admission of steroid use and his nazi heritage, the public loved him and still do. that's because he never took these things or himself too seriously. he got out there, people knew what to expect and THAT'S WHY he was never treated like a freak. why was/is this never done with the others ??? as far as the public know they are all locked up in a gym with 15 needles sticking out of their glutes.

you would think that the weiders didn't learn a thing from arnold, but i believe they did. however, joe and ben have enormous egos themselves and were bitter that they were almost completely ignored by arnold and everyone that was backing him, including the general public. i believe ben claimed the olympic games participation thing as his baby and he believed that was his ticket to recognition. alas, it wasn't to be so they settled for stupid monikers like 'father of bbing', 'inventer of weider principles' and that stupid profile of his head atop a muscular body ::) on every weider product.

i believe weider MADE CERTAIN that no bber would rise above them again and thus the monopoly and stifling of any personality that came along after arnold.

arnold's near idebtical twin in boxing was ali. ali was equally relentless and became a celebrity far bigger than boxing. again, they tried to stifle him (vietnam war, etc) but his charisma would not be denied. he, like arnold, learnt extremely fast what the public wanted.

here's where the comparison ends. don king has just as big an ego as joe/ben but he didn't have a monopoly. he didn't like playing second fiddle and the guys in his stable were largely subdued (larry holmes), but he would simply latch on to whatever star personality came to the fore (tyson) and simply steal them right from under their previous manager. king really is a sight to behold. he will quite literally step over his fallen gladiator, completely ignoring him on the canvas, and walk straight over to the new champion praising him as if he was a god.

guys like fox, oliva, nubret, strydom, platz, eddie robinson (robbie too introverted imo), levrone, priest, ray, flex should have been huge celebrities, each bringing a different character, bit of drama ie (back to boxing) tyson was a completely different persona to ali, but both were HUGE box office. i believe weider should have put his full backing behind these guys. it was there for the taking. you had 'the myth', 'brutal', the 'golden eagle', 'the black panther', but unfortunately stars were only known to the bbing community and, even then, you rarely heard from them. that's because weider had them tightly reigned in. arnold got out there and got in everyone's face.

weider should have given them plenty of room to flourish. vince mcmahon had the right idea but his support network and timing was wayyy off. the supplement companies (backers) loved the idea, but:

1. he had second rate bbers. stifled, oh sooo politically correct entities don't make good rebels ie god fearing brothers like haney and coleman DON'T complain, do they ronnie? jay? ::) there's a reason guys like this rise to the top of the ifbb. ;)

2. timing - he was under huge political pressure to present a 'clean' image and take it seriously (funny how weider wasn't, but then he was a regular at the oval office wasn't he? ;)) and what came next was a bunch of bbers with conditioning that wouldn't have got a look in at the mr idaho. exit stage left, supplement companies, exit stage right, wbf.

foot note: none of those bbers EVER gained favour or success again (in bbing), despite some paying up the ridiculous penalties imposed for their return, and people wonder why no one of any calibre followed lee. lee should have studied up more on bbing political history.

thanks for your time. i know it was a little long, but i feel for these guys. they put it ALL on the line for their chosen sport and all they ever get for it was SHIT. to say that bbing champions are nothing more than drug monsters is disingenuous, degrading and, imo, motivated by an innate sense of fear and jealousy. 

rant over.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: June 28, 2007, 06:48:00 AM »
You HAVE to give the Weiders credit. They were the master marketers who lifted BB from an ancillary to weight lifting events in YMCAs and elevated the awareness through better quality mags and excellent promotion. Make no mistake, no matter Arnold's natural talents, they were developed alongside the master Joe Weider. BTW it was Joe Wedier, Joe Gold and Arnold's gay businessman friend from Europe who steered Arnold through the initial years, including suggestions to buy real estate.

Joe Weider also ensured that his protege had a great life the first few years, regardless of Arnold's revisionist rhetoric now about being "an immigrant with nothing upon arrival in the States". LOL he had a car, an apartment, didn't have to work and spent his time in fun city Venice Beach in a great time to be there, late 60s and 70s training and tanning in between magazine covers and training articles. Coming from a far more austere climate in Austria AND suddenly amongst guys he used to see in mags like Draper, Arnold knew he was in heaven, no doubt about it. I'll take it!

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: June 28, 2007, 07:06:45 AM »
You HAVE to give the Weiders credit. They were the master marketers who lifted BB from an ancillary to weight lifting events in backrooms and elevated the awareness through better quality mags and excellent promotion. Make no mistake: no matter what Arnold's natural talents in promotions were, he learned from the master Joe Weider. BTW it was Joe Wedier, Joe Gold and Arnold's gay businessman friend from Europe that steered Arnold through the initial years, including suggestions to buy real estate.

Joe Weider also ensured that his protege had a great life the first few years, regardless of Arnold's revisionist rhetoric now about being "an immigrant with nothing upon arrival in the States". LOL he had a car, an apartment, didn't have to work and spent his time in fun city Venice Beach in the 60s and 70s training and tanning in between magazine covers and training articles! I'll take it!

joe was smart enough to know that arnold was his meal ticket. his charisma, physique. arnold already had the map and plan before he even left austria. it was well known that arnold said he was going to win the olympia, get into american movies and then go into politics before he left austria.

even when he was making it big in movies, i remember people laughing at the thought of him running for office. doesn't seem so funny now. :-\

the question is, why didn't it ever happen again. again, it is my opinion that joe had plenty of personalities to make it happen. hell, platz, for example, was bursting at the seems. levrone had to completely remove himself from bbing first and these guys are the 'heroes' (ali, leonard). what about the 'antiheroes' (tyson, dempsey) like fox, priest?

there were plenty of characters in bbing that would have sold.

the weiders went part of the way but they never got over the arnold snub. as i said in prev post, i think it was moreso ben though.