Author Topic: The other Idiot - Gary Sheffield  (Read 5855 times)

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
Re: The other Black Idiot - Gary Sheffield
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2007, 07:22:59 AM »
Yea because Bonds didn't blame a positive amphetamine test on a teammate or have a very public feud with Jeff Kent.  Kent does more for teams than Barry Bonds.  Bonds does more for himself than any other player but he is no team contributor.  Every team Sheffield has been on has had a lull in playing after he left but have become better.  He is a cancer to teams and should have used his big mouth and been a man during the BALCO scandal.

" "It set a tone for the whole (2001) season," said catcher Paul LoDuca, who says he likes Sheffield. "And I think a lot of guys walked lightly around Gary. That's something you don't want in a clubhouse."

"We were wondering, `What's the deal? What's going to happen next?'" infielder Mark Grudzielanek said. "No question, that was triggered during 2001 spring training.... We're probably a better team in the clubhouse, and hopefully it will show on the field."

That might also bring a laugh in Milwaukee, Sheffield's first club. A pre-season favorite for 1989 rookie of the year, the 19-year-old shortstop was demoted in July for "indifferent fielding," even while he insisted his foot was hurt. Only at Class AAA Denver was he diagnosed with a broken foot, and when he returned to Wisconsin, he was converted to third base, setting off a three-year squabble over how he was treated.

A final straw came in spring training of 1992, when Sheffield alleged that owner Bud Selig had gone back on his word about negotiating a long-term deal. Selig traded him to San Diego within a week. Although Sheffield was subsequently quoted as saying he made errors on purpose to expedite his departure, he later backed off the remark."

The Atlanta Braves did awesome when Gary was on the team, I think that year they had like 6 players with over 20hr and 3-4 with over 30, they led the leauge I believe. Sheffield almost won a MVP.
I

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
Re: The other Idiot - Gary Sheffield
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2007, 08:02:11 AM »
He's a moron, for sure, but since when should I care about an athlete's thoughts? All I know is when Sheffield comes to the plate I'm scurred and pray he doesn't kill the ball. Dude can hit.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2007, 07:05:13 AM »
Twins' Hunter: '10 years from now you'll see no blacks, at all'

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 8, 2007, 1:02 AM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

Just days after Gary Sheffield's controversial remarks about Latino players, Minnesota's Torii Hunter weighed into the fray on a national radio show.

"You can go to Latin America and get that same talent as a black player in Compton and if he's in Compton he gets drafted in the first round he's going to get two million dollars," Hunter said on Fox Sports Radio. "If he doesn't pan out, you're out two million dollars but if you go to the Domincan, Cuba, or whatever and you can get a guy for two thousand dollars and he doesn't pan out you're only down two thousand dollars. I do agree that, you know 10 years from now you'll see no blacks, at all."

Torii Hunter
Center Field
Minnesota Twins

2007 SEASON STATISTICS
GM    HR    RBI    R    OBP    AVG
56    13    47    34    .346    .302

Sheffield said he was surprised his comments, which appear in the current issue of GQ magazine, created such a stir. The outspoken slugger said he merely answered a question about why there were so many Latin players in baseball as opposed to blacks.

Sheffield insisted he meant "nothing derogatory" toward Latin players when he said recently that Major League Baseball found it easier to "control them" than black players.

Sheffield's comments Tuesday were similar to those he made to the magazine, when he expressed his long-held belief.

"What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. ... [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine. "Where I'm from, you can't control us."

In expanding on his comment about control, Sheffield said Tuesday, "They have more to lose than we do. You can send them back across the island. You can't send us back. We're already here."

Carlos Guillen, Sheffield's Tiger's teammate, said he was happy Sheffield said what he said.

"I'm happy he said it," Guillen told The Detroit Free Press on Tuesday. "I'm glad somebody spoke up."

Last season, only 8.4 percent of major-league baseball players were black, the lowest level in at least two decades, according to an annual report by the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports. The report showed that 29.4 percent of players last season were Latino.

Guillen told The Free Press that Sheffield's words in the GQ article rang true with his own experience as a young Latin player trying to break into the big leagues.

"In my first year, in rookie league, I hurt my elbow and I played DH," he told the newspaper. "In my first at-bat, I hit a double, and I missed first base. I was out, and they screamed at me."

"I didn't know what to say. If I had said anything, they would have sent me home. I was afraid to talk.

"That happens to every Latin player. They are afraid to talk," Guillen said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2897303

What Torri Hunter says makes no sense. Their are only two Cuban's in the majors Livan and El Duque. Also the young, highly touted players out of Central America and Dominican Republic are getting some pretty big signing bonuses. Guillen is another loud mouth idiot. If a guy is a great prospect of any color or nationality he is treated great. If you are a fringe prospect you aren't treated with kid gloves. Blacks are gravitating to football and basketball.
The House that Ruth built

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2007, 08:17:49 AM »

What Torri Hunter says makes no sense. Their are only two Cuban's in the majors Livan and El Duque. Also the young, highly touted players out of Central America and Dominican Republic are getting some pretty big signing bonuses. Guillen is another loud mouth idiot. If a guy is a great prospect of any color or nationality he is treated great. If you are a fringe prospect you aren't treated with kid gloves. Blacks are gravitating to football and basketball.

Your an idiot, that only accounts for a very small fraction of them. Most are not stars and in the minors or playing back up rolls on teams, they are the ones who will take the sacrifice in pay to stay on the team and in the U.S.
I

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2007, 09:45:02 AM »
Why does he think that black players specifically are damaged by the influx of latinos?
Is this not the case for white players as well?
$

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 10:21:38 AM »

Your an idiot, that only accounts for a very small fraction of them. Most are not stars and in the minors or playing back up rolls on teams, they are the ones who will take the sacrifice in pay to stay on the team and in the U.S.

Dude, use your brain. If you have the goods it doesn't matter what color or what language you speak. You are taken care of. If you are a fringe player you have to earn EVERYTHING. Doesn't make a difference where you are from if you are a so-so prospect. Try going back and get your GED like you keep talking about. The bottom line is black americans aren't that interested in baseball as a whole. The latin americans play from the time they can walk and see it as a way out of poverty.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2007, 10:25:45 AM »
Why does he think that black players specifically are damaged by the influx of latinos?
Is this not the case for white players as well?

The numbers would say so. MLB used to be lily-white. When I was a kid in the 60's and 70's there were lots of black ballplayers. Now you basically have whites and latino's with asian's starting to make inroads.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 10:03:39 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875

:-\

Sheffield and guys of his ilk are always coming up with excuses. Thats all this is about, excuses. The guy has been a great hitter for a long time I will give him that steroids or no steroids. He did cry like a girl to S.I. when Bonds dumped him as a friend.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2007, 07:40:52 PM »

The Atlanta Braves did awesome when Gary was on the team, I think that year they had like 6 players with over 20hr and 3-4 with over 30, they led the leauge I believe. Sheffield almost won a MVP.
The Braves were good before and after Sheffield, no influence IMO.  He can hit but so could the rest of the Yankees and they did nothing special since 2000. 
Squishy face retard

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 05:03:55 AM »
The Braves were good before and after Sheffield, no influence IMO.  He can hit but so could the rest of the Yankees and they did nothing special since 2000. 

Skoal brother!

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 06:18:21 AM »

2 WS appearances and six division titles in the AL East are something special.  People (Yankee fans included) fail to the the significance in this.

Y

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2007, 07:58:49 PM »
2 WS appearances and six division titles in the AL East are something special.  People (Yankee fans included) fail to the the significance in this.

And players that make more than entire teams and not able to win.  Was Sheffield on the 2001 team when they lost?  No, he was with the Dodgers.

04 Yankees-lost to Bosox in ALCS
05 NYY-didn't make it to the ALCS
06 NYY-lost in ALDS to Detroit

He has great hitting but he obviously couldn't do enough to help them win the big one.  Their payroll should bring a World Series appearance almost every year but it doesn't.  Sheffield's contract caused problems for the Yankees and he is pissed that a Latin player took his job with the Yankees.  He could have stayed if ye played first base but his ego couldn't take it.  He would be better and quicker in the infield than Giambi or other players but he couldn't suck it up.  What a great teammate. ::)
Squishy face retard

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 07:43:56 AM »
And players that make more than entire teams and not able to win.  Was Sheffield on the 2001 team when they lost?  No, he was with the Dodgers.

04 Yankees-lost to Bosox in ALCS
05 NYY-didn't make it to the ALCS
06 NYY-lost in ALDS to Detroit

He has great hitting but he obviously couldn't do enough to help them win the big one.  Their payroll should bring a World Series appearance almost every year but it doesn't.  Sheffield's contract caused problems for the Yankees and he is pissed that a Latin player took his job with the Yankees.  He could have stayed if ye played first base but his ego couldn't take it.  He would be better and quicker in the infield than Giambi or other players but he couldn't suck it up.  What a great teammate. ::)

In baseball, a single player has less impact on his team winning a series than any other sport.  The burden is on the team as a whole.  Many Yankees had poor playoff performances lately, most notably the pitchers. 

What problems did Sheff's contract cause?  Did it prohibit the Yankees from obtaining talent?  No.  Also, Sheff wasn't being given the option to play first this year.  That was an experiment the Yankees weren't willing to continue this year.   FWIW, Sheff offered to play infield on multiple occasions to help when a player was injured.  Yes, I still think he's an asshole, but he plays to win.

As for payroll bringing home a WS title every year, that's absurd.   Yes, a high payroll should get a team to the playoffs consistently, but winning the WS is a crapshoot after that.   Short series in baseball are the equalizer - there's a greater chance for a lesser team to win a playoff series than in other sports, for a variety of reasons.  Playoff wins have as much to do with timing and luck as they do talent.
Y

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 02:31:34 PM »
With a team that has talent that should hit well every game and money that can buy pitching or set up a decent farm team, the money is not well spent.  They could drop their payroll and build a great team without the egos of guys like Sheffield.

As far as Sheff and Abreu, Sheffield had better numbers than Abreu in 2005 but come 2006 he was traded.  Why? 
Squishy face retard

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 04:37:47 AM »
With a team that has talent that should hit well every game and money that can buy pitching or set up a decent farm team, the money is not well spent.  They could drop their payroll and build a great team without the egos of guys like Sheffield.

As far as Sheff and Abreu, Sheffield had better numbers than Abreu in 2005 but come 2006 he was traded.  Why? 

They have built the sixth best farm system in the league right now.

You can't have a team that hits well every game, despite the talent or money spent.  It's just not the way baseball works.   A  .333 hitter doesn't go 1-3 every game, he may hit .500 for two weeks and .150 for the next.   The best teams in the league are going to lose 60+ games a year.

Abreu's 2006 was equal to Sheff's '05, with Abreu leading in OBP, but Sheff slugging more.  The Yankees chose Abreu becasue he is younger, a better fielder, can steal bases, and wasn't coming off injury.  Personally, I wish they would have kept the 1b experiment open for Sheff, but they chose a different route.

Y

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 04:51:50 AM »
They have built the sixth best farm system in the league right now.

You can't have a team that hits well every game, despite the talent or money spent.  It's just not the way baseball works.   A  .333 hitter doesn't go 1-3 every game, he may hit .500 for two weeks and .150 for the next.   The best teams in the league are going to lose 60+ games a year.

Abreu's 2006 was equal to Sheff's '05, with Abreu leading in OBP, but Sheff slugging more.  The Yankees chose Abreu becasue he is younger, a better fielder, can steal bases, and wasn't coming off injury.  Personally, I wish they would have kept the 1b experiment open for Sheff, but they chose a different route.

They wanted Sheff off the team. I always liked his right-handed bat in the lineup. In retrospect I would have tried to unload Giambi on somebody and kept Sheffield. I really doubt he would have been adequate at first. First isn't as easy to play as a lot of people think especially for a 38 year old career outfielder.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 05:30:43 AM »
They wanted Sheff off the team. I always liked his right-handed bat in the lineup. In retrospect I would have tried to unload Giambi on somebody and kept Sheffield. I really doubt he would have been adequate at first. First isn't as easy to play as a lot of people think especially for a 38 year old career outfielder.

I hear you, but they can't unload Giambi, not with the no-trade clause.  The first half of the year, it appeared they made a bad decision (Abreu over Sheff), but given the last two weeks, it appears that Abreu is the player they thought they were getting.

I liked the right handed option Sheff brought, too.  I loved watching him swing.

Y

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 08:11:35 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875

:-\

Only thing you can say to back up sheffield is well, every thing he said is 100% truth.
Denying it is only because you are racist.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 08:54:24 AM »
Only thing you can say to back up sheffield is well, every thing he said is 100% truth.
Denying it is only because you are racist.

As mentioned earlier, a lot of people think that this is a lingering effect of Sheff feeling slighted from the Yankees keeping Abreu and trading him.

Y