Author Topic: Muscle imbalance  (Read 1505 times)

dalkiel

• Getbig II
Muscle imbalance
« on: June 07, 2007, 02:46:17 AM »
Hi

Prior to weight training my right (dominant) side was slightly larger (more muscular) than my left. Once i started weight training I put a bit more emphasis on my left to balance it out.

Now my left side (especially my left trap) is more heavily muscled even though my right side is stronger. All my attempts to "balance" out my right side with dumbells have not been successful. If anything I feel that my left side got more stimulation than my right sidee even after i purposefully focused on my right.

One theory I had was that my right side being stronger will need more stimulation to grow than my left.

Someone mentioned that its possible that i may have a spinal imbalance which may explain why my left side gets more stimulation than my right.

I should also mention that I do have back problems although i havent had any in the last 3-4 years. The problem was caused by weight training.

Any ideas? Is a visit to a chiropractor warranted?
Thanks in advance

AVBG

Re: Muscle imbalance
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 02:49:28 AM »
Hi

Prior to weight training my right (dominant) side was slightly larger (more muscular) than my left. Once i started weight training I put a bit more emphasis on my left to balance it out.

Now my left side (especially my left trap) is more heavily muscled even though my right side is stronger. All my attempts to "balance" out my right side with dumbells have not been successful. If anything I feel that my left side got more stimulation than my right sidee even after i purposefully focused on my right.

One theory I had was that my right side being stronger will need more stimulation to grow than my left.

Someone mentioned that its possible that i may have a spinal imbalance which may explain why my left side gets more stimulation than my right.

I should also mention that I do have back problems although i havent had any in the last 3-4 years. The problem was caused by weight training.

Any ideas? Is a visit to a chiropractor warranted?
Thanks in advance

A chiropractor will be the best person to diagnose your back and possibly your imbalance.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:30:30 AM »
A chiropractor will be the best person to diagnose your back and possibly your imbalance.

Agreed, can't tell that much without an examination and some tests (in person of course).  I've never had a horrible imbalance and I haven't seen anyone with a really bad one (other than a slightly bigger dominant arm), is the Trap that much bigger?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 02:30:55 PM »
Everybody has a side that`s bigger.....just more noticable in some people.

try doing some unilateral training.

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 02:45:02 PM »
Everybody has a side that`s bigger.....just more noticable in some people.

try doing some unilateral training.

YEAH one of my damn quads is different than the other. Like, my right almost looks like its got anohter muscle, and my left doesnt. So i've started doin quad extensions with just one leg at a time. But it aint doin much:P oh well not like i compete anywyas hah

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2007, 04:56:14 AM »
Do one leged leg presses,super-setted with the one legged exts.,......do the exts. first to pre-exhaust the legs,then after a few sets of each,do walking dumbell lunges for a few sets to finish them off.

Also,doing step-ups on a platform or bench might help........do one leg for the amount of reps you are shooting for,then do the other one.......do not alternate left and right per rep,finish say 15 reps on the right,then do 15 reps on the left and so forth.

HAMADA

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 10:20:50 PM »
I have that same problem but mine is a little more unique my left trap is slightly bigger than my right trap and my right lat is bigger than my left. I don't know why this is. Any suggestions?

Conan Stevens

• Getbig I
  • 7ft tall and 320lbs of muscle
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 10:09:45 PM »
Forget it, most people who have imbalances are not big enough fro anyone else to notice it. Better to concentrate on putting on muscle - it'll even out eventually - or not.

But when you have a 20" and a 19.5" arm who cares anyway?

chirorhino

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »

Now my left side (especially my left trap) is more heavily muscled even though my right side is stronger.

Is a visit to a chiropractor warranted?

being a student working toward my doctorate in chiropractic, I would have to say that it sounds like you definitely have a muscle imbalance and most likely a muscle firing pattern probem in the upper fibers of your left trap. As for a spinal in balance that would take a physical exam and maybe x-rays to determine. so...

a visit to the chiropractor is definitely waranted.

Can I ask what your "back problem" was previously?

dalkiel

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 09:16:03 PM »
Back problem?

Well it first occurred when i was doing behind the neck presses. I think on my 2nd or third set (3-5 rep) It felt like I uprooted all the tendons and nerves all down my lower back. It was  like a mini shock but there was no pain and I foolishly continued with the movement more carefully not realizing what the injury was. There was no pain-it just felt a bit sore. The next day i could barely get out of bed. I had to roll off just to get to my feet. The pain was concentrated around my lower back -right side and hamstring (it sometimes switched to my left too) Eventually my back seemed to heal - sort of.

Four years later I managed to reaggravate it by running up the stairs to answer a ringing phone. Felt weird-nothing serious until 1 hour later when i was brought to my knees on the pavement carrying a 2 BOOKs. They probably weighed less a couple of pounds but even the slight bit of weight brought on white hot pain.
I ended up being taken away by Campus police to the nearest hospital. What was funny was when they came to pick me up they had a SUV and I had to literally drag myself onto the back seat (since SuV's are much higher than a regular car)with my girlfriend trying to pull me in from the other side.

Since then I've learned to stop immediately and go home (ICE treat) whenever something gets pulled- rarely happens now if ever.  I also concentrate more on ab exercises to strengthen the core.

I've had the imbalance prior to the back injury so I dont think that was what caused it.
I think it is because my left side being weaker doesnt need much stimulation to grow but my (dominant) right side does. Even after focussing on my right side exclusively with Dumbells I could almost swear the next day my left side feels pumped.

chirorhino - I had my lower back X-rayed and the doctor said everything looks ok. I havent been to a Chiropractor yet but I plan to once i get some free time on my schedule. Any more advice would be appreciated. Thanks for replying.

dalkiel

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2007, 10:22:17 PM »
Hamada - i have the same problem as you do -Lat is not that noticeable but it does have a better sweep. Not too obseesive about that because my trap is the main issue i want to "straighten" out.

chirorhino

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 01:33:08 PM »
IMHO you have classic symptoms that would be easily treated with chiropractic care. Just stay away from the Docs that try to make you sign up for X amount of visits/week with a lump sum payment. A good Dr. will fix your prob. and give you stretchs/exercises to address the muscle imbalances that are most likely at the root of your back problems.