Author Topic: Veterinarian Faces Animal Cruelty Charges - real asshole here  (Read 6228 times)

knny187

• Getbig V
Veterinarian Faces Animal Cruelty Charges
AP

PHOENIX (June 12) - Arizona authorities arrested a veterinarian  Monday on suspicion that he hit a five-pound Chihuahua in the head so hard that he dislodged the dog's eye. Joshua Winston faces animal cruelty  charges in the June 4 incident, according to Maricopa County Sheriff's Office spokesman Capt. Paul Chagolla.

Another spokesman, Deputy Charles Scudella, said Winston had posted bond Monday night and would be released. He did not know how much the bond was.

Employees at the Sun City West Animal Hospital northwest of Phoenix reported that Winston hit the Chihuahua, named Bella, in the head three to five times with his fist.

The dog survived, but had to undergo corrective surgery.

"The eye was put back in and stitched," Scudella said. "It's a wait-and-see if the dog still gets use of the eye."

Two veterinarian technicians who said they witnessed the incident told the sheriff's office that Winston was extremely frustrated with the dog because it was uncooperative and aggressive during a visit for spay surgery.

"We trust our vets with those that we love most," Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said. "Most vets are good people, they love animals. I just hope this is an isolated incident, not just with this vet, but with any vet."

Winston also faces a theft charge from an incident earlier this year. Hospital employees said Winston charged a client $80 for medication he didn't give a Neapolitan Mastiff after the dog became uncooperative.

A call to the animal hospital was not immediately returned Monday

If this was my dog.....I would hit the son of bitch with a baseball bat 3-5 times in the head & see how well he walks afterwords

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
Re: Veterinarian Faces Animal Cruelty Charges - real asshole here
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22:36 PM »

If this was my dog.....I would hit the son of bitch with a baseball bat 3-5 times in the head & see how well he walks afterwords

This is why Knny is good people!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 04:36:49 PM »
This is why Knny is good people!

Honestly....I have no tolerance in rude behaviour in a man

Something like this....I know that I would get myself incarcerated for, I understand & realize it.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 04:54:00 PM »
The most unlikly people can abuse animals, I remeber when I worked in the zoo and just started my Apprentiantship, I had to work in the Aquariums (the most unlikly place to hurt an animal or get hurt) and I had to work with some guy who generaly speaking loved all critters.
That day his GF called it quits and he was real hurt.
You have to imagine that when you are in the visitors area all you see is nice aquariums, but behind in the working area you can look into the AQ and clean them feed the fish and so forth.
We were just cleaning a tank with catsharks, and one of them keept comming up since they were curious...

He his him so hard on the head with a the brush the fish went numb and did not move for a while, I remeber that I was quit shocked at the time and asked him why he did it, he just said something and walked off.
I guess he had to let steam off and let off at the animal.

I would have punched him....& then walked away mumbling something

::)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 05:03:39 PM »
He was a lot bigger than me, i was 16 he was 28 or so mate, I remember I feelt real sorry for the little shark... serious suprised me as well since you not really tend to feel sorry for fish.

probably wouldn't have still stopped me....

I am pretty dumb that way

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 05:19:34 PM »
you better answer my last post pal, I think this is outrages that we are beeing dictated what and what not we can discuss on this board, If this is the case than good bye and I had the best intentions here, thought this to be a fun place for more animal lovers.

I replied

This is a fun place for animal lovers

This is not a place to post pictures of a monkey with an asshole that looked like it passed a watermelon & the look of pain on the face.

Like I said...post warnings & etc....just no graphic pictures.

If it were me......

(I shouldn't encourage you...but I feel we all have an opinion)

I would build a photobucket account.  Upload the picture & supply a separate link for people to click on if they want to see pictures like that.

That way....you get your message across....& you're not offending everyone that clicks on your post.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 06:06:09 PM »
Unfortunately this kind of mistreatment happens more than you would think.  I have heard stories of vets "choking out" uncooperative dogs. Or beating them.  In fact there was just a big discussion about it on one of the groups I am on, some of it was witnessed first hand by vet techs. 

Some people never allow their pets to go "into the back room" for blood draws or whatever because of this.  I am starting to think that is a good idea.  Do it in front of me, or I am going back there with you.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 06:17:33 PM »
Well, now I am going to be a little more cautious about this.

JimmyTheFish

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 06:20:52 PM »
Knny I dont think your boy would have a prob with this --- he would probably smack the vet back   ;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 06:27:34 PM »
Knny I dont think your boy would have a prob with this --- he would probably smack the vet back   ;D

Well, it is still important.

We don't raise a hand to the dog.  He's a show dog & do not want him to cower when someone waves a hand or lifts a hand.  Which also brings up....it's 100% against the way I want this dog or any dog we have handled.  Once a dog is hit on or beat on...their personality starts down a road that in most cases...can't be changed.  The Choc Lab I had growing up was abused.  After 14 years she was such a loving loyal dog but would show teeth if someone came up & raised a hand.  Trust me...no dog needs to be hit on to get them to do what you want.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 10:48:44 PM »
Unfortunately this kind of mistreatment happens more than you would think.  I have heard stories of vets "choking out" uncooperative dogs. Or beating them.  In fact there was just a big discussion about it on one of the groups I am on, some of it was witnessed first hand by vet techs. 

Some people never allow their pets to go "into the back room" for blood draws or whatever because of this.  I am starting to think that is a good idea.  Do it in front of me, or I am going back there with you.

I have worked as a "relief veterinarian" working with dogs and cats in 5 states---Missouri, Kentucky, Ohio, New York, and New Jersey (for consulting only).   Unfortunately, not allowing a dog to go into the "back room" can create more problems with some dogs and cats.   Its not uncommon to see dogs act very differently in an exam room with their owner but then change completely if the owner is out of their sight.  This can make a simple proceedure such as drawing blood much easier on the dog.   

All of that said, this veterinarian needs to be prosecuted and he needs his license censured.  There is no excuse for this type of behavior.... none at all.  And unfortunately, it happens more often than any of us wish to acknowledge---many times in front of owners.   I watched the very first veterinarian I worked for out of veterinary school walk up to a high strung mare in the stocks, not tell her what he was about to do, and stick a cold glove up her rear to check her pregnancy status.   The mare reacted as most would expect, she kicked the shit out of the door of the stocks, breaking the door with her shoes.  The veterinarian yanked his arm out of her ass, pulled off the sleeve cussing her, then proceeded to walk up to the front of the horse and punch her in the nose hard enough to break his knuckle.  The mare wouldn't let him palpate her without heavy sedation after that..... and it was all done in front of the owners.   

Had that been one of my horses, that veterinarian would not own his practice anymore, I would.  For me it was a life lesson I will never forget.  I don't regret leaving that practice at all and telling the practice owner to go fuck himself as the last thing I ever said to him.  There is no excuse for that type of behavior.  No excuse at all. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 09:02:26 AM »
Glad to see a Vet on the board

"Welcome"

Although I can't stand Human Doctors let alone Vets.....

I do value your insight as you experience a lot of things "first hand" on a daily basis.

Birdman

• Getbig III
  • Pump Til You Puke!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 01:39:52 AM »
Wow this guy is scum. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2007, 06:22:28 PM »
That's pathetic, punching out a chihuahua LOL  but unfortunately this is a case that was discovered vs. the many that aren't known.

The silver lining's that the dog's with someone who appreciates her.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »
June 14, 2007

An update now on a Chihuahua injured during a visit to an animal hospital.

A veterinarian is accused of hitting the dog, causing one of its eyes to become dislodged.

Today the Chihuahua went to another vet for a diagnosis.

On her first birthday, this five pound pooch received some very good news.

“He thinks that her eyesight will be totally back,” owner Maryann Deluca said.

The tiny Chihuahua made big news after it was injured during a visit for spay surgery on June 4th at the Sun City West animal clinic.

According to investigators, technicians allegedly saw Dr. Joshua Winston strike Bella in the head causing her right eye to pop out. Bella's owner said Dr. Winston called her immediately after the incident.

Dr. Joshua Winston was arrested, but he told us there's a lot more to the story and is confident his name will be cleared.

“During the course of good, standard care things can happen that are hard for someone outside the field to understand,” he said.

Deluca brought Bella to the Eye Care for Animals Clinic in Phoenix.

“She still has to take drops, and we have to see him in three weeks, but otherwise he thinks her eyesight will be totally back!” Deluca said.

She's not angry at Dr. Winston, but for Dr. Winston the ordeal is far from over and he still has to go back to court.

“I have never, ever, ever in my whole life hurt an animal and I have spent 25 years in this profession without a complaint on my license,” he said.

The case will be handled in justice court.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 09:36:45 AM »
This idiot has an excuse?

I don't care if the dog bit him....you don't punch a 5 pound dog.

::)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 10:33:35 AM »
Dr. Joshua Winston was arrested, but he told us there's a lot more to the story and is confident his name will be cleared.

Like what more to the story?  The techs were lying that he hit the dog?  Or is that some new pre-anesthesia technique, you literally knock them out first. 

She's not angry at Dr. Winston, but for Dr. Winston the ordeal is far from over and he still has to go back to court.

How could you not be angry?  His ass would of been laid out if that was my dog!!!   

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 10:42:44 AM »
another good reason to rip somones arm off and beat them with teh bloody stump

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 10:47:58 AM »
Pet owners stand by vet in dog-beating case
Becky Bartkowski
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 12, 2007 05:14 PM

A day after a West Valley veterinarian made headlines for allegedly injuring a dog in his care, some pet owners who use Dr. Joshua Winston's services expressed shock but also defended him as a caring, compassionate physician.

Sun City West residents the likes of Jean Steenbock and Diane Salomone said that the thought of Winston hurting one of his patients was appalling.

Salomone described Winston as having been "nothing but wonderful" to her six cats. She said, "I know people can snap, and it's a shame that one moment could define your entire life."

Steenbock, who has an ill 14-year-old Bichon and a 5-year-old mixed breed, said Winston has "been gentle, caring, thorough and compassionate with my dogs."

"As long as this man is in practice, he will be my veterinarian," Steenbock said.

Winston allegedly struck a Chihuahua's head five times and dislodged the dog's eye on June 4, according to Maricopa County Sheriff's officials. The dog needed corrective surgery after the incident. Winston was arrested on Monday at about 10 a.m. and booked on a count of animal abuse. The investigation is ongoing, a sheriff's spokesman said.

Winston was unavailable to comment Tuesday afternoon because he was meeting with a client, according to a receptionist at the animal hospital.

The news triggered an outpouring of anger from online readers, many of whom vilified the vet for harming a dog that simply was acting as a dog sometimes would. One poster on azcentral.com who went by the screen name of mary ann4842, who identified herself as a former client of Winston's, wrote, "I am outraged and sickened at this story . . . I hope he gets what he deserves."

Another azcentral reader who went by the screen name of 8333 wrote, "The bottom line is, whatever he did for the good of animals in the past is just that now, the past. This one incident has ruined him no matter what happens, it is very unlikely that many people will trust him again."

However, several of Winston's clients called The Arizona Republic newsroom to say they remain staunchly supportive and loyal to him.

Peggy Garrison said, "I totally trust him and I do not believe this for one minute."

Clark Silver said, "This guy has got to be one of the most honest guys I have ever met."

"If somebody's honest, I'm 200 percent behind them," Silver said.

Steenbock said that she saw Winston care for her dogs and that she had been at his office a lot due to her older dog's illness. Winston gave Steenbock's dogs free check-ups on multiple occasions, she said.

Salomone said that Winston once cared for an injured dog free of charge, because the owners had no money.

Another person who identified herself as a client of Winston, Gwen Franklin, said, "I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him, even after what I saw on TV last night."

Steenbock said she had been a customer of Winston's since his arrival in Sun City West, when he bought the practice from another veterinarian about five years ago. Steenbock said that Winston lived in New York before coming to Arizona.

When Salomone moved from New Jersey to Arizona three years ago with an ill cat, she went to Winston right away.

"His waiting room is always packed with dogs, cats, rabbits, everything," Steenbock said.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 10:51:00 AM »
5 lb CHI BEATEN by VETERINARIAN SIGN PETITION

http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc.html?gpp=68&pst=738253

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 11:34:19 AM »
Supporters back vet accused of animal cruelty
Joshua S. Garber/Daily News-Sun
June 13, 2007 - 10:19AM

The Sun City West veterinarian charged with animal cruelty Monday returned to loyal customers when he went back to work Tuesday.

Dr. Joshua Winston posted bond Monday night, telling local media he has never physically abused an animal in his life.

Within the first two hours of being open, the Sun City West Animal Hospital, 13576 Camino del Sol, received about 25 calls from supporters, said Donna Warner, office spokeswoman.

“We have been inundated today with overwhelming support,” she said. “For the most part, people have been very supportive, calling up saying, ‘We know, you, we love you, this isn’t true.’”

The number of people who called doubting Winston could be counted on one hand, she said. “Twenty-five years this man has been a vet and he has been dealing with animals since he was very little.”

Dr. Diana Kraus, a naturopathic physician from Mesa, says she has known Winston the past eight years through directing the Cast Off Cockers Rescue Mission, a cocker spaniel rescue group. She talks to to him daily and has taken more than 500 dogs with ailments to him for treatment, she said.

“He’s never made a mistake, he’s never lost his temper,” she said. “We certainly wouldn’t go to Sun City West from southeast Mesa if he wasn’t the best veterinarian we know.”

Winston’s ability to diagnose pet ailments impressed her as a doctor and are unparalleled in the Valley, she said. “He’s a fabulous diagnostician because he cares enough to do research.”

Kraus said Winston told her the Chihuahua he allegedly harmed had become “crate aggressive,” meaning it would growl and bark when people would get near the cage it was being kept in. When he took the dog out of the cage, it became wild in his hands, flailing about and trying to bite him.

He engaged in a form of humane restraint where you hold the dog by the scruff of the neck and tap it on the nose or forehead with your finger to break it from that trance, she said.

“There are some dogs, and (especially dogs with bulgy eyes) are more prone to this than others, where when they get over-excited, the blood pressure rises and an eye could pop out,” Kraus said. “I hope that other vets are going to step forward and say, ‘Hey, this could happen.”

Winston described the employee that phoned the police to Kraus as oversensitive and over-excitable, she said.

“(The news) shocked me because it was so contrary to my own personal experience with Dr. Winston,” said Don Gerboth, president of the Sun City West Canine Companion club.

Gerboth said he had been taking his dog to the office since before Winston got there about four years ago.

“I’ve always found them to provide high quality service,” he said.

Warner and Kraus both said they feel the information being released to the public does not paint an accurate picture of what really happened.

“I’ve had dogs that have bit him in the face and he’s never reacted with anger,” Kraus said. “I think Sheriff Joe is making an example of the wrong man.”

“What I think happened is certain information is being scrutinized and misreleased to the public,” Warner said. “Once we get the bugs off the windshield, I think things will settle back to normal.”

BULLSHIT!!! He was restraining it and flicked it's nose and it's eye popped out.

>:(      Yeah Right!!!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2007, 12:35:10 PM »
Personally....I had a dog growing up (my chocolate lab) that was not safe around all people.  Namely because she was abused.  So I used to keep special eye on her & knew when she was not liking someone.  I would simply just move her to somewhere else so she would be comfortable.

Make a long story short.....I don't care how awesome a vet is....she would low growl everytime.  We eventually had a Vet that would come out to the house.  That seemed to keep her more at ease & once he "did his thing" (shot or whatever)...she would then accept him...smile & lick.

Well, I am no dummy...but I would hold my own dog with the Vet present.  He even preferred it because it made the dog calmer.  There was a few times we had to take her in & when she was up on the table...same thing....I would hold her head & she did very well.  I would have never in a million years would of let her go in unsupervised. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2007, 12:39:21 PM »
One of my friends has to muzzle her dog for the vets as a precaution.  She can't even clip his nails.  She got him a soft muzzle. 

RUDE BUOY

• Getbig V
  • The Franchise
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2007, 12:40:11 PM »
knny if i have said it once ive said it a million times anyone who would hurt an animal should have thiers arms ripped off and beaten with it i can stand cowards who would hurt an animal  >:(

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »
No I agree....animal abuse is unacceptable.  The man should be punished.