Author Topic: Drinking and training....  (Read 2681 times)

Aj123

• Getbig II
Drinking and training....
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:44:04 PM »
Sorry i didnt know where to put this but..   

What are your opinions on it? Like going out drinking the night before and training the next day.

What affects does it have on you?

trab

• Getbig V
Re: Drinking and training....
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 05:53:48 PM »
Alcohol is no performance enhancing drug, it dehydrates and weakens you.
A drink or 2 a week for a average size guy is one thing, buzzed is another.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 06:15:10 PM »

Very true. One or two here & there won't hurt you but if you go get trashed all the time your workouts & gains will suffer.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 06:17:15 PM »
I look way better the morning after I drink. Must be a good diuretic.
E

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 06:18:30 PM »
I look way better the morning after I drink. Must be a good diuretic.

True. The carbs in beer don't hurt either.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 09:32:41 PM »

Yeah, I agree with this but it's probably not going to happen if you're young or in college.  Unless you are prepping for a contest, go out 1 night a week and do it up.  Drink some beer, have some pizza, mix it up with the ladies, stay out late then get back on schedule Sunday. 

The problem is when people start going out everyday or 4 times a week.  Happy hours, birthday parties, after diner drinks, drinks with the team, drinks with the boss....you name it, that catches up fast.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:28:37 AM »
i wouldnt drink day before going to the gym

Z

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 03:10:13 AM »
True. The carbs in beer don't hurt either.

I've read that carbs (from beer or elsewhere) will be more readily converted to fat than glycogen if there is alcohol in your system since your liver will prioritize dealing with the alcohol (a poison) before carbs.  Also heard that alcohol inhibits protein synthesis.

Don't know if this is true, just what I've heard.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:21:22 AM »
In Germany & Austria mostly (last century) those old time strong men used to hold their training sessions and contest in beer halls. These guy's were very powerful and lifted huge weights way before the invention of the revolving and balanced Olympic bar or even the modern BB plate. Some training equipment was made from truck axles. Also used heavy flywheels. Lot of heavy solid casted DB lifting (hard to adjust to at first). Those training sessions and contest could last for hours, with  beer breaks between lifts. Also very big on barrel lifting, including cleans and pressing/jerks. Their raw power was unbelievable. As was their gripping power. One arm lifts included; snatches, cleans, Dl's, etc. The Bent Press (one of the best all around strength test ever) was a major exercise.  Judging for some of the old photo's taken, most of these guy's were somewhat muscular and by all means huge. Fat seemed to be added with age.

Good Germanic genes..probably. Or just the benefits of beer as a training aid? I can just see walking into a Gold's, 24hour Fitness, etc with a beer bar to one side. Ordering up a Corona before the your first set.  And have them keep coming doing the whole workout. Encouragement for a lot of guy's to never miss a workout. Who needs 'roids? Good Luck.
F

pumpher

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 04:37:59 PM »
Not a good idea.

Alcohol is a depressant, and most studies show that it inhibits endogenous testosterone secretion.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 07:02:30 AM »
I went out drinking last night for a friends birthday and had a few. Enough to get tipsy and today I feel a little drained. I normally don't drink. I drank myself into a stupor almost everyweekend between the 19-22 year range and have lost my taste for most liqour and beer. One or two won't hurt ya but, if you get shitty, don't expect big things in the gym the next day. Your body is still going to be trying to recover from all the alcohol you poured into it.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 01:27:01 PM »
Heres an Issue ive been dealing with for a while. I only drink on the weekends, but every once in a while, like last night ill have a few drinks during the week. But because I didnt go home until 4am this morning, and only getting about 5 1/2 hrs of sleep, i took the day off from training. Im just probably gonna give up drinking. I mean, im suppose to be taking care of my body and here iam drinking and smoking. Time to get back on track and kick some ass 8)

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 01:29:02 PM »
Heres an Issue ive been dealing with for a while. I only drink on the weekends, but every once in a while, like last night ill have a few drinks during the week. But because I didnt go home until 4am this morning, and only getting about 5 1/2 hrs of sleep, i took the day off from training. Im just probably gonna give up drinking. I mean, im suppose to be taking care of my body and here iam drinking and smoking. Time to get back on track and kick some ass 8)

Don't be a quitter. If you like to have some drinks, then drink. There is no reason to miss a workout, you are using your drinking as an excuse for being lazy.
E

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 01:37:33 PM »
Don't be a quitter. If you like to have some drinks, then drink. There is no reason to miss a workout, you are using your drinking as an excuse for being lazy.

Yep. Starting to smell like pussy in here. ;D

210 and growing

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 02:28:33 PM »

Train mon - sat and do your drinking friday and saturday - just do cardio on saturday after your friday drinking - its alot easier than lifting hungover. And allow yourself a nite out in the week every now and then - unless you are going to be a proper bodybuilder, compete, and have much potential, then what is the point in letting it rule your life and miss out on things

Dredlock Rasta

• Getbig III
  • Can't trust shadows after dark
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 03:58:46 PM »
Train mon - sat and do your drinking friday and saturday - just do cardio on saturday after your friday drinking - its alot easier than lifting hungover. And allow yourself a nite out in the week every now and then - unless you are going to be a proper bodybuilder, compete, and have much potential, then what is the point in letting it rule your life and miss out on things

TRUE DAT!

IF YOUR 21-25, been living a hardcore bodybuilding lifestyle for at least 3 years, and have not won or even entered a contest, it is likely you are never gonna be anything special in bodybuilding. If so you would have already been discovered by now. So give it up and have some fun within reasonable limits.
Don't let em fool ya

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 07:57:55 PM »
If you're going out, schedule a rest day on the following day, to allow your body time to recover and remove the alcohol from your system.  This will also allow you to stock up your energy levels again before the workouts begin.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 08:04:39 PM »
As said earlier.. I don't think the alcohol is the problem.  It's the hangover the next day, the lack of sleep from a late night out, the lost motivation from feeling crappy, the pizza you scarf down when you're drunk and hungry, the distraction of spending more time out at the bar with your buddies trying to run your game instead of concentrating on rest, workout, and diet necessary to see results.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 08:19:45 PM »
the distraction of spending more time out at the bar with your buddies trying to run your game instead of concentrating on rest, workout, and diet necessary to see results.

There is no need to focus on "the results" if you can't used them to spend time with you buddies and run your game.  Concentrate on the ho's and the booze but make sure you get your work in, simple as that.

Brixtonbulldog

• Getbig V
  • TAKE YO FUCKING JACKET WIT YA
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 08:36:16 PM »
There is no need to focus on "the results" if you can't used them to spend time with you buddies and run your game.  Concentrate on the ho's and the booze but make sure you get your work in, simple as that.

I agree.. and that's why I spend equal time in the gym and at the bar.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 08:42:43 PM »
I agree.. and that's why I spend equal time in the gym and at the bar.

I remember a Dorian quote on "instintive training".
  Yates - "If I did what my instincts told me, I'd be in the pub chasing women, not working out!" ;D

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 03:17:02 PM »
if you're gonna drink make sure you drink plenty of water and sleep off the hangover.

I drink 2-3 nights a week and it doesn't hurt my training.

tomgreynolds

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2007, 12:20:42 PM »
The consumption of alcohol inhibits (stops) protein synthesis (muscle growth). So if you're planning on drinking a reasonable amount, wait until 24 hours after your last training session to ensure that all your hard work in the gym has a purpose.