Author Topic: POLL:WHAT'S HARDER, HACKS OR LEG PRESSES?  (Read 3009 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
POLL:WHAT'S HARDER, HACKS OR LEG PRESSES?
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:30:05 PM »
personally i find hacks harder, been doing them lately after barbell squats.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: POLL:WHAT'S HARDER, HACKS OR LEG PRESSES?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:47:24 PM »
hacks are definately harder
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:36:58 PM »
hacks

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 09:08:34 PM »
hacks are only second to squats.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:58:41 PM »
depends

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 11:25:38 PM »
Along with maybe cleans, squats of any type are the best overall single exercise & conditioner, using the biggest muscles of the body and quickly building up oxygen debt plus you're standing with muscles supporting all the resistance. The most demanding exercises involve the body supporting all the weight.

Leg press doesn't use as many muscles such as lower back or shoulders/traps and the weight isn't supported by the body while seated. It's more isolated to certain areas.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 01:22:19 AM »
hacks
Z

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »
That's a relative question. Harder compared to the weight and rep's used? Or harder because of the motion of the exercise? And we are speaking of BB Hacks, rather than machine Hacks, right? I would consider BB Hacks as reverse DL's. Bar behind, than in front, of the body. Going to work more total back (lat's, traps, etc) as well as the lower body. But you will focus more on legs and eliminate the shins & knees getting in the way, than the regular DL. BB Hacks over squats for a more total body workout. BB Hacks are my favorite exercise. Anyone can work up to some pretty impressive weight with this exercise. Good luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 08:17:45 AM »
That's a relative question. Harder compared to the weight and rep's used? Or harder because of the motion of the exercise? And we are speaking of BB Hacks, rather than machine Hacks, right? I would consider BB Hacks as reverse DL's. Bar behind, than in front, of the body. Going to work more total back (lat's, traps, etc) as well as the lower body. But you will focus more on legs and eliminate the shins & knees getting in the way, than the regular DL. BB Hacks over squats for a more total body workout. BB Hacks are my favorite exercise. Anyone can work up to some pretty impressive weight with this exercise. Good luck.
oh brother, never a yes or no answer from good 'ol "JPM". ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 08:21:34 AM »
oh brother, never a yes or no answer from good 'ol "JPM". ;D

you noticed that too?  ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 08:25:12 AM »
you noticed that too?  ;D
hahahahaha, JPM is the anonymous expert, the gym scientist who won't post a picture. ;D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 08:28:17 AM »
hahahahaha, JPM is the anonymous expert, the gym scientist who won't post a picture. ;D

says alot...even YOU post pics. He knows his shit but sometimes swallowing all the "well this" and " well that" 's is a fucking whippin! :D  He's okay dude though I guess. ;)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 08:32:45 AM »
says alot...even YOU post pics. He knows his shit but sometimes swallowing all the "well this" and " well that" 's is a fucking whippin! :D  He's okay dude though I guess. ;)
hahahaha, what do you mean "even YOU" post pics?

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 08:37:37 AM »
hahahaha, what do you mean "even YOU" post pics?

You never posted a damn thing until recently and now it's no big deal. Maybe he doesn't have a camera or a cellphone worth a starbucks coffee like everyone else?  Hell even I posted pics and I'm a fat shit. What's the worst that could happen? You catch shit on getbig?  ;D ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 08:51:05 AM »
You never posted a damn thing until recently and now it's no big deal. Maybe he doesn't have a camera or a cellphone worth a starbucks coffee like everyone else?  Hell even I posted pics and I'm a fat shit. What's the worst that could happen? You catch shit on getbig?  ;D ;D
hahahaha, exactly, you're far from a "fat shit" by the way, you've got a damn good build.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 08:57:15 AM »
hahahaha, exactly, you're far from a "fat shit" by the way, you've got a damn good build.

on a cell phone anyway!  ;D

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 11:28:38 PM »
I've had nothing but problems with hacks.

My #1 leg exercise is the barbell squat to the floor.

When I leg press I will use a more "Colemanesque" range of motion with heavier poundages.

As for hack squats, I also take these rock bottom, but I've never liked them becuase I always end up having to push off the tip of my feet. Even with my feet as high as the platform will allow I still have trouble keeping the heel of my foot on the platform. This is undoubtedly due to taking the hack as low as the machine will go, but that is the only way I feel comfortable squatting.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2007, 06:56:49 AM »
I've had nothing but problems with hacks.

My #1 leg exercise is the barbell squat to the floor.

When I leg press I will use a more "Colemanesque" range of motion with heavier poundages.

As for hack squats, I also take these rock bottom, but I've never liked them becuase I always end up having to push off the tip of my feet. Even with my feet as high as the platform will allow I still have trouble keeping the heel of my foot on the platform. This is undoubtedly due to taking the hack as low as the machine will go, but that is the only way I feel comfortable squatting.

I do this too. Many people only hack to 90* but I bottom the machine out because of the quad stretch and burn that I get from it but it seems that most platforms are too short to get your feet far enough out front to drive through your heels and you end up driving with your toes instead which can't be good.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2007, 08:24:07 AM »
As far a machine Hacks go, might try the frog stance to keep the heels flat & pushing off on the platform. With most people, the ankles/calves are not flexable enough if the heels tend to raise up during the lift. Or else too much weight is used. Great different stretch  on the calves & legs. With BB Hacks, place a 2X4 (or BB plate) under the heels for better balance and push from the heels. Will focus on the lower quads more (teardrop effect) also. Good Luck

Side Bar: a simple yes or no is never all right with me. It's never enough. I want to know the positive and negative of any training question or answer. Why something works or does not work. I tend to reflect this back to others, just my nature. Have patience with me, I'll try to get over it. 
F

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2007, 08:27:25 AM »
As far a machine Hacks go, might try the frog stance to keep the heels flat & pushing off on the platform. With most people, the ankles/calves are not flexable enough if the heels tend to raise up during the lift. Or else too much weight is used. Great different stretch  on the calves & legs. With BB Hacks, place a 2X4 (or BB plate) under the heels for better balance and push from the heels. Will focus on the lower quads more (teardrop effect) also. Good Luck

Side Bar: a simple yes or no is never all right with me. It's never enough. I want to know the positive and negative of any training question or answer. Why something works or does not work. I tend to reflect this back to others, just my nature. Have patience with me, I'll try to get over it. 

LOL we just break balls bro. I like what you bring to the table. Sometimes a simple yes or no leaves you with alot of other questions which are normally taken care of with your lengthy posts. Keep'em coming. It's not like you're doing any harm in it.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2007, 09:28:09 AM »
Actually that was a little tongue in cheek with the "Have patience with me, I'll try to get over it" thing. Anyway, think we understand each other. Good Luck.
F

Prof Moriarty

• Getbig II
  • The greatest evil genius of them all
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 12:25:50 PM »
I've never liked hack squats.  Not a big fan of leg presses either, even though they're a great auxiliary exercise for the DL.  The temptation with leg presses sometimes is to pile on too much poundage for full ROM, which can lead to rounding the lower back if you're not careful.  Though maybe that's just me. :)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »
I've never liked hack squats.  Not a big fan of leg presses either, even though they're a great auxiliary exercise for the DL.  The temptation with leg presses sometimes is to pile on too much poundage for full ROM, which can lead to rounding the lower back if you're not careful.  Though maybe that's just me. :)

THAT should be your depth indicator and not your knees in relation to your chest, etc. If your lower back starts to round up, that's plenty deep on the leg press. Any deeper could lead to LB injuries. I never worried about my knees during the presses. I'd go deep enough that my LB started to round and come off the machine and start back up. The idea of telling people to cram your knees into your chest is bullshit IMO. Not everyone is built the same. Go down til you're LB just begins to round up then go back up.

Prof Moriarty

• Getbig II
  • The greatest evil genius of them all
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 03:04:18 PM »
THAT should be your depth indicator and not your knees in relation to your chest, etc. If your lower back starts to round up, that's plenty deep on the leg press. Any deeper could lead to LB injuries. I never worried about my knees during the presses. I'd go deep enough that my LB started to round and come off the machine and start back up. The idea of telling people to cram your knees into your chest is bullshit IMO. Not everyone is built the same. Go down til you're LB just begins to round up then go back up.

I agree with you.  I just never liked leg presses.  I did a lot of them once when prepping for a PLing meet (to help with leg drive on the DL), but those were mostly low rep sets with very high weight, which it's easy to get injured with if you don't use very proper form on every little inch of the movement.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 06:56:26 AM »
Easy, if both are done for full reps hacks are harder. Can't use a fraction of the weight as you use doing the leg press.
The House that Ruth built