Author Topic: (6/20, They didn't kill me) Surgery, Tuesday morning (6/19).  (Read 13442 times)

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
Alright kids... broke down tommywishbone, done broke something he can't fix. Herniated disc @C5, C6 & C7. 15-18mm of distention at C6 & 7. "Severe spinal canal stenosis" resulting in.... well... a  real F-ing mess.

OK Getbig Maniacs, help out your old broke down friend. Tips? Personal experiences? Ideas? Post surgery hints? Rehab you've seen work, etc. I'm listening.

Regards,
Tommywishbone
a

climber

• Getbig III
Re: Surgery, Tuesday morning (6/19). Tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 01:22:39 AM »
Oh, that sounds sore.. I'm not a doctor so I won't try to give you any advice. How did it happen?
Hrmmm

lewishou

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 01:34:29 AM »
I am in my 6th year of neurosurgery residency, so I may be of some assistance.  What do you want to know?  More importantly, what surgery is being planned?  ACDF or posterior laminectomy and fusion?

Lewis

Alright kids... broke down tommywishbone, done broke something he can't fix. Herniated disc @C5, C6 & C7. 15-18mm of distention at C6 & 7. "Severe spinal canal stenosis" resulting in.... well... a  real F-ing mess.

OK Getbig Maniacs, help out your old broke down friend. Tips? Personal experiences? Ideas? Post surgery hints? Rehab you seen work, etc. I'm listening.

Regards,
Tommywishbone

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 01:36:24 AM »
I am finishing my neurosurgery residency.  I would be glad to answer any question the best I can.  What do you want to know?  More importantly, what surgery is being planned?  ACDF or posterior laminectomy and fusion?

Lewis

Welcome to GetBig Lewis.
Hrmmm

lewishou

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 01:38:06 AM »
Thanks for the welcome.  Long time lurker, but rarely post.

Lewis

Welcome to GetBig Lewis.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:00:50 AM »
I am in my 6th year of neurosurgery residency, so I may be of some assistance.  What do you want to know?  More importantly, what surgery is being planned?  ACDF or posterior laminectomy and fusion?

Lewis

It's "Anterior cervical disc surgery"

Everything is set. My Neurosurgeon is Dr. Ronald Rich  ;D in Santa Monica,Calif. The procedure will be preformed at St. Johns, Tuesday morning. I report there @ 5am. Surgery is expected to take 4-5 hrs.  I'm trying to get my friend (an RPT) in the OR, to VT the procedure.

I've got a real mess. "Severe canal stenosis and severe foramen stenosis associated with prominent left foraminal disc extrusion of 15 - 17mm (those numbers are huge), severely narrowing the left neural foramen and severely narrowing the spinal canal left of midline"...

I have the MRI on disc, if you'd like a copy, let me know.

Regards,
Tommy
a

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 02:09:19 AM »
I almost forgot... welcome to boards.  ;D They bark a lot, but they seldom actually bite.
a

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 03:18:58 AM »
I had surgery to fuse my L5-S1. They put a titanium cage in my back around Sept 06.  It takes forever to heal.  Just do all the light PT stuff.  I am back lifting heavy (on my regular exercises) but I don't do any squats, deadlifts, bent over rows etc as I don't want to fcuk up that cage.  It's changed my lifting.  I know do exercises that I never really focussed on for back.  I know do alot of pullovers, heavy pulldowns, hammer rows,  You can train around it but I know that my erectors are suffering from lack of stimulation. 

You should be on Oxy's for quite some time afterward.  I'm still on them and it's June 07. 
\

HalloweenMan

• Getbig III
  • Team What The Fuck?!?!?!
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 04:07:31 AM »
good luck!  i know a girl who had that spinal fusion thing done and she has been on oxy for over a year.  i cant imagine its very fun.   but still, good luck! 
how did you do that to yourself?
F

Bigger Business

• Getbig V
  • FKN Gym Wear
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 04:49:00 AM »
I had the EXACT same thing T'Bone

my doctor just told me to take some penicillin and use a rubber from now on

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 06:13:27 AM »
stay up all night drinking the night before the surgery.

The doctor will admire your cavalier approach to following his advices.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 06:15:56 AM »
Here's a tip, enjoy the ride on the Oxycotin highway.
The Number 2 in Scranton

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 06:19:40 AM »
Crash Course In Brain Surgery.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2007, 06:23:17 AM »
Remind the doc that you've contracted a hit on him and only you can call it off after the surgery.

Good luck man.

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2007, 06:25:52 AM »
Youth in asia
The Number 2 in Scranton

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 06:32:09 AM »
Remind the doc that you've contracted a hit on him and only you can call it off after the surgery.

I wonder how often doctors get that.

soflagirl

• Getbig I
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 06:32:24 AM »
Ask your neurosurgeon if you are a candidate for the Bryan Cervical Disc replacement (prosodic disc), two years ago I ruptured a disc in my neck at c6-c7 and was chosen to participate in a FDA study of the Bryan Disc. I spent one night in the hospital and was moving my neck right after surgery, did not need any pain killers or neck brace after the procedure and was back in the gym with in 4 weeks, competed in a BB show 1yr to the date of surgery. If this is something that is an option for you I would highly recommend this surgery, way better than spinal fusion.

Motorbreath

• Getbig III
  • What goes around comes around.....
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 07:26:56 AM »
I had the same procedure in 1999, I felt much better right after the surgery, had all of the feeling back in my arms and legs. Full recovery did take 12-18 months, I was training again after 4 months however very lightly. I have been pain free for a number of years, they fused my C5,C6 & C7 with bone grafts from a cadaver. I know they have much better medical technology now so you will be fine.

I live a completely normal life, however I was never able to train heavy again after the surgery, I can train with moderate weights, but anything too heavy makes me feel as if I will just blow my neck out again.

My neck was ruined with college football and I actually blew it out doing very heavy behind the neck presses, I felt it pop and get real hot at the time of the ruptures.

lewishou

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 10:58:25 AM »

Yup, that would be ACDF.  It is one of my favorite spine operations because patients do so well.  Even though your disease sounds severe, the surgery should be relatively straight forward.  And if you have mainly pain in your arms/legs but no true weaknessand or bowel/bladder problems, then you will likely have significant relief immediate post operatively.  The pain is minimal from the surgery because the approach to the cerival spine from the front requires no muscle dissection.  That is why the surgery is clean and fast.  You will have sore throat and may be hoarse because of the retraction involved, but rarely do patients require alot of narcotics afterwards.  The only time this surgery can be difficult is if corpectomy (removal of partial or entire vetebral body rather than just the disc) is needed.   But it doesn't sound like the case.

As for the artificial disc, unfortunately it is falling out of favor.  Although the idea seemed good, the technology is just not quite there yet to simulate all the propertieis of a real disc.  Furthermore, people don't really advocate putting something like this in patients with more than one level of disease.  Another thing to consider is that if something ever goes wrong, those things are a pain to take out (and don't forget sometimes dangerous).    For now, the standard discectomy and fusion with cadaver bone graft remains the best choice and most effective surgery in most patients.  This of course is only my opinion.  Actually, its the opinion of most neurosurgeons, including the giants in the field (Fessler, Benzil, Foley, Schaffrey, etc).   

Back surgery on the other hand is alot more painful, and are often ineffective at taking care of chronic back pain.  But that's another subject in itself. 

Anyway, enough from me.  I am happy to look at your MRI if you wish. 

Lewis

It's "Anterior cervical disc surgery"

Everything is set. My Neurosurgeon is Dr. Ronald Rich  ;D in Santa Monica,Calif. The procedure will be preformed at St. Johns, Tuesday morning. I report there @ 5am. Surgery is expected to take 4-5 hrs.  I'm trying to get my friend (an RPT) in the OR, to VT the procedure.

I've got a real mess. "Severe canal stenosis and severe foramen stenosis associated with prominent left foraminal disc extrusion of 15 - 17mm (those numbers are huge), severely narrowing the left neural foramen and severely narrowing the spinal canal left of midline"...

I have the MRI on disc, if you'd like a copy, let me know.

Regards,
Tommy

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »
Pray  :D

Dorian01

• Getbig IV
  • Coach loves the sticky studs
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 11:10:02 AM »
Quit bodybuilding for gymnastics and jazzercize. Finally an excuse to wear tights.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 11:20:27 AM »
some supplements that could help recovery afterwards.

zink
msm
glutamine

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »

Yup, that would be ACDF.  It is one of my favorite spine operations because patients do so well.  Even though your disease sounds severe, the surgery should be relatively straight forward.  And if you have mainly pain in your arms/legs but no true weaknessand or bowel/bladder problems, then you will likely have significant relief immediate post operatively.  The pain is minimal from the surgery because the approach to the cerival spine from the front requires no muscle dissection.  That is why the surgery is clean and fast.  You will have sore throat and may be hoarse because of the retraction involved, but rarely do patients require alot of narcotics afterwards.  The only time this surgery can be difficult is if corpectomy (removal of partial or entire vetebral body rather than just the disc) is needed.   But it doesn't sound like the case.

As for the artificial disc, unfortunately it is falling out of favor.  Although the idea seemed good, the technology is just not quite there yet to simulate all the propertieis of a real disc.  Furthermore, people don't really advocate putting something like this in patients with more than one level of disease.  Another thing to consider is that if something ever goes wrong, those things are a pain to take out (and don't forget sometimes dangerous).    For now, the standard discectomy and fusion with cadaver bone graft remains the best choice and most effective surgery in most patients.  This of course is only my opinion.  Actually, its the opinion of most neurosurgeons, including the giants in the field (Fessler, Benzil, Foley, Schaffrey, etc).   

Great post

I learned almost as much from this as I learned from the "Squadfather Sam's Club Owning" thread ;)

Good luck with the surgery, Tommy.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 11:39:12 AM »
some supplements that could help recovery afterwards.

zink
msm
glutamine

Rub some NO Xpolde on it and you should be fine in a week. 

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 11:51:18 AM »
Rub some NO Xpolde on it and you should be fine in a week. 
arrogant reply  ::)