Author Topic: Training for definition  (Read 865 times)

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
Training for definition
« on: June 16, 2007, 02:49:05 PM »
Just felt like sharing, for the 2 of you on this board who DO train  :P

Steel Dungeon Q&A - Training for Definition

TRAINING FOR
DEFINITION

Q:Is there such a thing as training for definition? Is there a way for me to continue adding muscle mass while leaning out to have more definition? (btw, I’ve already lost 9 pounds in the last 2 weeks by dropping my carbs and doing zero cardio. I’m 41 if that makes a difference, and I take in 300 grams of protein a day, but under 100 grams of carbs and about 60 grams of fat) Am I making a mistake?

A:That’s a tough one, guy. Really, you’re asking two different things, though I think I know what you’re really asking... On one hand, training for definition, which isn’t to say that you’re dieting while trying to add mass, is something I’d answer with a workout prescription, and maybe a little diet. What you’re asking is a little different. You want to actually lean out like a pre-contest diet, but still add mass or keep size. You can’t keep adding size AND lose body fat without a lot of chemical help. Because then you’re talking a total change in body composition. What you can do is this: Train hard with a lot of intensity - that means keeping weights heavy and moving FAST and taxing yourself with a lot of great variety in set types and rep schemes. Supersets, giant sets, drop sets, pyarmids, 21’s, etc.. Eat a tight diet, but not a dieting diet. It’s going to take longer and that’s why people quit and go back to what they know, which is either lowering their carbs to nothing or overdoing cardio, to get lean. Then they end up losing a ton of size and they scramble to get it back and get fat and bloated. What’s the RUSH PEOPLE?? Rome wasn’t built in a day and that is the best answer we can give. If you diligently train with intensity, and damn hard, and keep a CLEAN diet (50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats - good ones). That means to keep your calories up to actually gain mass or keep it, but NOT gain fat and get bloated. Do this and you will achieve what it is you’re after. But you’re going to have to do this for a year, not for 12 or 16 weeks. That is what truly GOOD athletes do. What they are able to accomplish doing this is truly remarkable. But, most don’t have patience! Be the guy with patience. What you’re asking from your body is a tall order. Get off that low or zero carb crap. You’ll never put on size that way, you’ll only get lean, and even then, it won’t be for long. But keeping your insulin levels that low is detrimental to your muscle building program. All things in moderation is better than anything else out there. Just give it time and it’ll happen. Do cardio, but mix it up and do really intense things like sprint intervals mixed with the traditional elliptical or treadmill workouts. Vary duration and intensity there, too. Good luck and let us know how you are keeping up!

http://www.getanabolics.com/2007/06/steel-dungeon-q-training-for-definition.html
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Mike

• Getbig IV
Re: Training for definition
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 05:30:50 PM »
Good post, very basic and informative.  Patience is the key to results in this game, too many peeps want the quick fix.