Author Topic: Tennis Elbow  (Read 7687 times)

pink

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Tennis Elbow
« on: June 18, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »
I dont play Tennis but that's what a Doc buddy said I had. Maybe from heavy skullcrushers.
Either way it's screwing up everything but legs.
Ice, heat, lower weight, ibuprofen.
I'm doing all that - any other suggestions?
Would shooting GH in it heal it? (half kidding)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Tennis Elbow
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 08:41:21 PM »
I had something similar, from triceps work and lat pulldowns with a certain type of bar. What i had is called golfer's elbow-same thing but on the inside part of the elbow rather than on the outside elbow area like tennis eblow. I scheduled a shot but then was able to avoid getting any treatment by the following changes, below. All the painkillers will help, but the problem is related to repetitive use that causes aggrevation, and will return unless the problem is dealt with by making some changes.

The type of grip used in any exercise makes a significant difference, both in terms of hitting the muscle differently and how and where the stress hits the elbows and other joints.

On skulls after taking a break until the elbow's better, take a longer warmup, do a triceps compound first for further warmup then for a few workouts each try one of  several bars-triceps hammer grip, E-Z curl, super E-Z curl, two hands around the end of one dumbbell. Each will hit the joints differently.

And of course on "skulls" do the far better version triceps extensions in which the weight is lowered behind and well below the end of the bench. All the way down towards the floor, something like doing pullovers but with an extension motion, for a full stretch. Don't worry about elbow positioning. Skulls with the weight lowered to the face aren't as effective and are harder on the elbows IMO.

pink

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 10:31:41 AM »
Awesome reply - thanks.
BUt do you just lay off of training until it gets better?
You cant do much of anything without elbows...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:36:14 AM »
Awesome reply - thanks.
BUt do you just lay off of training until it gets better?
You cant do much of anything without elbows...

Generally those injuries are due to specific motions and exercises done repetitively, so it shouldn't be too hard to  work around with exercises that don't cause that direct aggrevation. In more extreme cases a complete break until better; a week or ten day's break every so often's not bad anyway, if nothing else works. Can always do other types of exercise.

The Coach

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »
Rest, ice, anti-inflammatories, repeat!

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 07:58:23 PM »
Tennis elbow is a form of tendonitis. It's going to take six weeks to heal properly. Don't do exercises that cause the pain to start. If you're doing an exercise and it starts to hurt you must stop doing it immediately. Do not do another set. Lower your weights on exercises that aggravate it for the next month or so.

Don't take painkillers when going to the gym because you'll just mask the pain - you won't be able to stop the exercise when you should.
Hrmmm

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 07:34:37 AM »
I had it a zillion times since I grew up playing tennis and later played a little on the pro circuit...I've also bodybuilded so I had it this way too . It's  FORM OD TENDINITIS AND U NEED TO TAKE A BREAK FROM TRAINING.. and ice it 3xday and keep doing it till u feel 100% healed.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 04:18:39 PM »
Taking a break from training's only part of it. Once it's better you have to discontinue using the motion/grip that causes it, or it'll come back. Often all it takes is slightly changing the type of grip used, the grip width or the ROM, to avoid it coming back. And keep the reps & rests between sets moderate: not low reps with very heavy weight if you want to save your joints.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »
I dont play Tennis but that's what a Doc buddy said I had. Maybe from heavy skullcrushers.
Either way it's screwing up everything but legs.
Ice, heat, lower weight, ibuprofen.

HGH dont help w/ that IME. It and deca help well w/ some minor shoulder issues.
Electro-Acupuncture is a option. If you get no immediate results, dont do it again.
It can have impressive results for some soft tissue issues, esp spasm. Better then strong drugs sometimes.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 08:16:17 AM »
I dont play Tennis but that's what a Doc buddy said I had. Maybe from heavy skullcrushers.Either way it's screwing up everything but legs.Ice, heat, lower weight, ibuprofen.

It's just tendonitis in the elbow and thats' EXACTLY how I got mine from and it's still nagging me. As much benefit as they are, they sure do damage alot of people.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 04:02:39 PM »
Repeating what some here don't seem to want to absorb:

I've had shoulder and elbow problems related to presses, extensions, preacher curls and pulldowns. In each case by modifying the grip (dumbbells instead of barbells), the ROM and/or rep number (stay moderate, no low reps) i've been able to work around the problem without having to avoid the exercise, after first letting the pain heal up.

For example:

-Extensions  - use a slight decline bench and a triceps hammer bar or two hands around the end of one dumbbell - will not effect the elbows as much. Stay with moderate reps, no heavy weight and low reps.

-Presses: 2/3 - 3/4 ROM, avoiding the bottom of the motion and keeping the reps moderate.

-Preacher curls - avoid the bottom part of the ROM.

-Lat pulldowns - try different grips: neutral vs. palms out, grip width, etc.

kevcat

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 07:02:15 AM »
thanx pumpster, im taking this on board now! Ive got these problems too!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 09:49:15 PM »
Man i had the same problem ive had golfers and tennis elbow on the same arm at different times. The last time i had tennis elbow I just by coincidence started taking a ZMA supplement and i swear it cleared up within a week. I dont know if it had anything to do with it clearing up but I know it helps with recovery so...

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 05:45:40 AM »
I have tennis elbow also and had to replace skullcrushers with close grip bench press. I must say that after doing that, the pain is almost gone.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
Ive got tennis elbow too. I was thinking maybe just increasing the fish oil i take and some more glucosamine and wearing this elbow guard thing for tennis elbow that you strap around the upper part of your forearm near the elbow. Its annoying because it seems to go away for months at a time, then all of a sudden it comes back.
No doubt about it...

jdooly

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 07:33:15 PM »
 I had it, bad.  Left outer elbow.  But it only hurt to do skull crushers, or over-head extension work.  I had to abandon all that completely untill it healed, which was about 3 months.  I could still do press-downs, close-grip and such, so it wasn't a huge deal.  Point is:  don't do it if it hurts.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 08:23:17 PM »
Skulls are clearly one of the causes...before going to another exercise like close-grip benches which will not hit the same area, try these variations after taking a break to let the elbows heal up..

Let the pain go away then try lying extensions behind the head on a decline bench..much easier on the elbows. Use an E-Z curl bar, triceps hammer bar or both hands around the end of one dumbbell-same grip as DB pullovers.

Also keep the reps moderate 8-12 not lower, and rests between sets at a minute maximum, to keep the area warm.

Another variation is bent over extensions using the lat pulley.

Both of these are easier on the elbows and will allow you to continue to do the best size-builder there is for triceps.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
Skulls are clearly one of the causes...before going to another exercise like close-grip benches which will not hit the same area, try these variations after taking a break to let the elbows heal up..

Let the pain go away then try lying extensions behind the head on a decline bench..much easier on the elbows. Use an E-Z curl bar, triceps hammer bar or both hands around the end of one dumbbell-same grip as DB pullovers.

Also keep the reps moderate 8-12 not lower, and rests between sets at a minute maximum, to keep the area warm.

Another variation is bent over extensions using the lat pulley.

Both of these are easier on the elbows and will allow you to continue to do the best size-builder there is for triceps.
U keep giving the wrong advice : read again carefully what me and coach said : rest and ice ....no training buddy...I'm positive u intend well but u are just giving the kid the wrong advice..take it from the pros ;)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2007, 07:53:59 AM »
U keep giving the wrong advice : read again carefully what me and coach said : rest and ice ....no training buddy...I'm positive u intend well but u are just giving the kid the wrong advice..take it from the pros ;)

LOL easy-reader all you're suggesting are ways to address the symptons, something like what's already been said. Useful but doesn't address the underlying cause. You're the guy who was taking 100 mg or more of dianabol for no discernible reason.  ::)

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2007, 08:01:51 AM »
LOL all you're suggesting are ways to address the symptons genius, not the underlying cause. You're the guy who was taking 100 mg or more of dianabol  ::)

Didnt you read his last 5 words? "TAKE IT FROM THE PROS"

He's a pro...pro mongol

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2007, 08:04:02 AM »
LOL all you're suggesting are ways to address the symptons genius, not the underlying cause. You're the guy who was taking 100 mg or more of dianabol  ::)
Yes . I'm also the guy who played professional tennis on the pro circuit and had plenty of tennis elbow . The idea that u keep talking about how to perform the exercises  when the guy asked a simple question: do I have to stop working out those tendons or can i still do something ?
  ..... from my expirience the less intelligent people are getting frustrated easily and resort to insulting because of lack of arguments.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2007, 08:05:30 AM »
Didnt you read his last 5 words? "TAKE IT FROM THE PROS"

He's a pro...pro mongol
pro tennis player...former. You ?

benz

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2007, 08:10:08 AM »

I told you a while ago i have a friend who is a real pro tennis player, you might know him since he was #1 BUT i showed him a pic of you here once, and he never saw you in the circuit... oh well i guess in "his" circuit, pro's like you are too good to fit in...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2007, 08:10:15 AM »

I've lifted weights for decades, also a sprinter... ::)

FYI tennis is only one way to get tennis elbow, as the first post mentioned-read the other posts first and you'll figure out that what you've said (1) has already been stated, and (2) is only the short-term solution, it won't address the underlying problem.

Glad i could help you understand better. ::)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2007, 08:14:01 AM »
I told you a while ago i have a friend who is a real pro tennis player, you might know him since he was #1 BUT i showed him a pic of you here once, and he never saw you in the circuit... oh well i guess in "his" circuit, pro's like you are too good to fit in...
we went over this a zillion times http://www.atpstats.info/en/players/pers-res.php?idp=13002 ...your buddy lied to you ;)