Author Topic: Ideal Post workout meals  (Read 4174 times)

bigandbrolic

• Getbig II
Ideal Post workout meals
« on: June 21, 2007, 03:01:13 PM »
The old adage goes that you can have alot of carbs mainly simple sugars after you workout or protein shake. 

What is/are the ideal post workout meal when you are dieting not for a show but just to lose some excess bodyfat?
I am a grown ass man

AVBG

Re: Ideal Post workout meals
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:33:45 PM »
I go the vitargo route with added BCAA's then 20 mins later Whey Isolate with natural (obviously  ;D ) PB.

strength

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 10:22:14 AM »
its not rocket science.  Good carbs, good protien, healthy fats.  AFter a workout is a good time to throw in some extra carbs.  (fruit, juice, etc.)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 08:59:44 AM »

In the past I used to do:  50 g whey, about 50 g dextrose (or some sort of simple sugar), and 5 g creatine.

I've decided to change it up and try something new and a bit different than the norm and so far it has yielded great results. 
So currently I'm doing:  24 g whey, 60 g complex carbs (usually coming from oats or shredded wheats - without milk obviously), and 5 g creatine.

I dunno what it is, but I have found that I really did not gain any sort of benefits from causing such a massive insulin spike post work out, and have found that complex carbs post work out have given me a better response.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 10:42:25 PM »
In the past I used to do:  50 g whey, about 50 g dextrose (or some sort of simple sugar), and 5 g creatine.

I've decided to change it up and try something new and a bit different than the norm and so far it has yielded great results. 
So currently I'm doing:  24 g whey, 60 g complex carbs (usually coming from oats or shredded wheats - without milk obviously), and 5 g creatine.

I dunno what it is, but I have found that I really did not gain any sort of benefits from causing such a massive insulin spike post work out, and have found that complex carbs post work out have given me a better response.
good tip

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 09:09:42 PM »
bigandbrolic,  I feel you on that.  I love Junk food, but am trying my hardest to completely eliminate it from my diet now.   I just really found no use at all from flooding my body with foods high in fats or high in sugar, just does not do anything for you, so trying to keep it clean now, and that also includes my post work out meal.

9 Ball Slim

• Getbig II
  • I Hate Afghanistan
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:00:05 PM »
Do you think time of day makes a diff in your post workout carb intake?  Over here, I have to work out about 1900 hrs due to missions during the day (and the heat).  I finish my training around 2030 hrs, then do my post workout Whey protein shake...about 50 g.  About an hour later, I do a Casein protein shake right before I turn the lights out.  Should I be adding some carbs post workout, or is it too close to bedtime?
Johnny Cash Was Right

AVBG

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 11:19:01 PM »
Do you think time of day makes a diff in your post workout carb intake?  Over here, I have to work out about 1900 hrs due to missions during the day (and the heat).  I finish my training around 2030 hrs, then do my post workout Whey protein shake...about 50 g.  About an hour later, I do a Casein protein shake right before I turn the lights out.  Should I be adding some carbs post workout, or is it too close to bedtime?

if you can get your hands on some Vitargo, its perfect for post workout carbs (at anytime of the day/night).

9 Ball Slim

• Getbig II
  • I Hate Afghanistan
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 12:00:40 AM »
Thanks' for the tip...I'll get on bodybuilding.com and see if I can order some.
Johnny Cash Was Right

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 01:24:52 AM »

I finish training at 10 at night and like I said I have about 60 g of carbs post work out.

I have another meal at 11 or 11:30 right before I go to bed.

As long as you are staying within your macros and whatever your caloric intake is,  it does not matter if you take carbs at night or during the day.

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 06:06:42 AM »
Right now being that I'm in precontest mode and training at night, I opt to leave the carbs out of my post workout meal and just go with 2-3 scoops of Isopure Zero Carb or some other low carb whey protein shake. I,m trying to get as lean as possible, so I don't need the carbs at night. During the offseason I'll go with a shake and some juice immediately after workout followed by a meal 1-2 hours later.

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »
Yes I do cut out dairy products when dieting. As for protein I go 1.5 grams per pound or a little higher and reduce my carbs to 1.6 grams per pound or less.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2007, 05:26:34 AM »

Baby Hercules - I'm with you on that, I never take dairy products pre-contest.

Hell I don't think I take them in the offseason anymore either, maybe once every blue moon if I cheat I'll have some cheese.

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 06:03:13 AM »
Baby Hercules - I'm with you on that, I never take dairy products pre-contest.

Hell I don't think I take them in the offseason anymore either, maybe once every blue moon if I cheat I'll have some cheese.
I love my dairy. I don't eat any during pre contest, but I'll eat it in the offseason, cheese, milk, ice cream, you name it. I make spaghetti with pizza cheese that is to die for ;D
Milk is a pretty good source of protein for adding some mass.

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 11:05:16 AM »
hercules or ach or anyone else

have either of you read or heard that milk keeps the skin thick and makes it harder to get that thin skin look?
I imagine it would if you eat it pre contest.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 02:10:07 AM »
hercules or ach or anyone else

have either of you read or heard that milk keeps the skin thick and makes it harder to get that thin skin look?

That's what Dave Draper said in 70's mags.

musclecenter

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Mr.Taiwan
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2007, 07:31:49 AM »
 Milos Sarcev Post Workout Amino Shakes:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=157425.0