Author Topic: traveling for 3 months..no gym.  (Read 1703 times)

under_rated

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
traveling for 3 months..no gym.
« on: June 23, 2007, 04:16:21 AM »
Hey guys,

In 4 weeks I leave to go backpacking/traveling for 3 months and I was hoping for a some help with a few issues.

While away I will have very little access to any gym/weights. Do you have any advice for maintaining some size and strength. The only thing I can think of is to try maintain a good diet and do bodyweight exercises, such as push ups, chins, handstand pushups (against a wall) ect.

I have been lifting again for about a year after a long break due to a rotator cuff injury. I was making good gains, however they have slowed recently. Is there any point to keep ‘bulking’ in these last 4 weeks before I leave, or just concentrate on striping some fat to look better/be fitter. 

Any help appreciated

Thanks

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: traveling for 3 months..no gym.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:59:49 AM »
-Calisthenics as you've mentioned, including chins, dips, pushups, etc. Add some resistance-weight from a backpack, etc., for chins, and/or..

-Get some quality bands to increase the resistance on pushups, dips, etc. and use for curls, extensions, squats, etc. Good ones are durable and allow alot of latitude for adjusting the resistance.
http://www.lifelineusa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=4&productid=12

http://www.lifelineusa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=1

http://www.lifelineusa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=2

-For legs running up hills is excellent for conditioning. Add some extra weight from a backpack and it's even better in terms of also adding some size.

After a shoulder injury it's even more important to slowly and thoroughly warm up first, with some slow windmills in each direction and some lighter resistance movements before getting into bodyweight exercises. On chins i find that allowing yourself a couple of warmup sets in which you hang without trying to pullup helps, followed by some partial reps done losely before doing actual reps. Try to keep the reps moderate or high.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 07:57:46 AM »
Not sure of the level of backpacking your going to do, flatland or mountain. Or just thumb tripping along the highway, hitting a lot of urban areas. Camping out, hostels (hopefully not like the one in the movie) or whatever.The word backpacking can mean a lot of things. In any event, keep it simple if you do any form of exercise. Can not really plan out a day if your on the move anyway. Focus on bwt exercises. That is, if you have the chance. Hindu push-ups (preformed like divebombers), Hindu squats, dips, chins, one legged squats, step-ups, etc. The usually suspects when it comes to bwt exercises. Might try doing overhead presses, upright rows, straight arm pullovers, curls, etc, etc, etc with that backpack. One or both arms at a time. Can also do short sprints up hills, which affect the legs/calves greatly.

If your doing serious backpackin, like the John Muir Trail, you may or may not want to do any exercises after a full day. If you find the need, than do them early in the morning before the hiking starts.  Plan on losing some bwt during the three months. Probably more so when in a higher mountain area. Good Luck.

Side Bar: I've hiked above the Flagstaff, Az area and Yosemite. Nothing like it, great time. Even more fun if you have a female hiking buddy to share your sleeping bag. Good luck.
F

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 09:19:13 AM »
whenever you hit a town go to their gym and do a full body workout unless you plan to be in the desert or something for 3 months
Z

metalruler

• Getbig II
  • My dog's name is Shag
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 03:03:15 AM »
for legs do bodyweight squats. They are pretty good leg burners if done in higher repetitions.... u can use ur single bed for floor chest presses, like i said, u have to see what kinda bed u are sleeping on...if ur stayin in a motel u might get a single bed...so good luck and happy holidays
ur momma

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 08:26:46 AM »
forget about working out and enjoy backpacking!  your body will have time to rest from weights and you will return hungry for heavy lifting.  i made my best gains after a three month layoff.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 03:47:56 PM »
forget about working out and enjoy backpacking!  your body will have time to rest from weights and you will return hungry for heavy lifting.  i made my best gains after a three month layoff.

Agreed. 

I'd focus on your conditioning these last 4 weeks if this is going to be a strenuous hike.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:08:50 PM »

You can do both; just add calisthenics and resistance bands if you want to add to the good exercise you'll get from hiking.