Author Topic: Does excessive sex/masturbation limit growth?  (Read 6741 times)

jonsande

• Getbig II
Does excessive sex/masturbation limit growth?
« on: June 24, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »
Bear with me here.

I got into a discussion earlier this morning with my training partner about the potential effects of excessive "release" (several times a week) on training. 

He argues that regular 'release' encourages the male body to up it's testosterone production and hence aid in growth, but I feel that if you're always busting your nut, your testosterone levels will be low and growth will in turn be hindered.  I don't really have any evidence, but I guess he doesn't either. 

I'm inclined to believe him because he's by no means a small guy and openly admits to whacking it every morning before work as a habit.  I'm still skeptical...it just seems counter intuitive to me.  I couldn't find any studies or related discussion anywhere on the web.  What do you guys think? 

homer77

• Getbig II
Re: Does excessive sex/masturbation limit growth?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:53:10 PM »
i was just on another board (cant recall which one) and this topic was discussed.  and there was research posted.  i dont remember the results either, but i am just like you since the age of 15 and i am large.  i always went under the same idea your friend suggested.  who cares.  not like im gonna stop anyway!!!!!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 07:27:47 PM »
This is an old theory that used to be applied to boxers way back up till today, that abstaining might help aggressiveness. No one knows, it's controversial because there's no conclusive proof either way.

Moen

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 04:41:13 AM »
I grow better when I'm not doing it regulary yes

(and I'm not kidding for once)

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 05:35:47 AM »
Bear with me here.
He argues that regular 'release' encourages the male body to up it's testosterone production and hence aid in growth,  
I agree with this.
The old don't have sex thing was for boxers and football players from the 1950 and 1960s.
It did nothing but make you frustrated, we are all here to have sex and spread our DNA.
I think having sex....... with some one or solo can only encourage the right manly hormones to be released

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 08:52:24 AM »
I was not the sex thing for boxers so much as it was their running around looking for sex. Tend to go to bars and clubs, keeping late hours, not enough sleep and other bad habits(?), like drinking & smoking. If the guy was married, things might be a little better. Old time coaches called it the sporting life. Those trainers/managers started that myth that sex was bad for the boxers to keep them in the training camp. This idea bleed over to other athletes. Not getting any was the motto before the big game, for example. Still carries over to a lot of the Mexican fighters today. Another old coaches myth was that weight training made athletes musclebound.

According to most studies, losing sperm will have little affect (or non at all) with regard to training for size or strength. Of course if your blasting a pint or more of your baby batter 7 times a week, than that may be a problem. Or a blessing in some cases.  Some of the NBA players are renown for the amount of sex right before a game. And quite a few have a core of groupies in every city they play in. Not to mention kids. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 08:58:50 AM »
Could definitely have been a device to keep boxers from being out late looking for it, but that wasn't the only or main reason, as it applied to those who were married as well. It was to increase aggressiveness; that was the theory. Possibly true, no one's sure.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »
Quite a few boxers already have a built in aggression from birth. The top guy's, anyway. Knocking off a little during training is not going to dismiss any top dog instincts. Never the reason. That theory went out years ago with other old fashion thinking. Their spirit of competition and inborn aggression is raised through getting psyched up for a match. Boxing, and most any other contact sport, can be just as much a mind game as a physical one when they get right down to it. You can see this is power lifting, over and over again. Trainers shouting and slapping at the lifter before a huge lift. Getting the adrenaline flowing. Raising to the occasion.

This can be applied to any workout for BB'ers.  BB'ing is just as much a mind game as a physical one, maybe more. People might try approaching each workout with Serious Intent rather than just going through the motions, as a lot of guy's will. And than they wonder why they do not make gains. Good Luck.
F

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 09:43:21 AM »
Whadda ya mean excessive masturbation?  How often are we talking about here?

On the other side of the coin from boxers, matadors always have sex before a bullfight.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 09:53:39 AM »
Quite a few boxers already have a built in aggression from birth. The top guy's, anyway.

Not at all in fact; Lennox Lewis as just one example had the physical potential to be great but really never had the natural aggresivity. All it takes is to watch some of his fights. Buster Douglas never had it save for one great fight in which the context was his mother dying.

Tyson stopped wanting to fight in the early 90s.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 11:12:36 AM »
"Quite a few boxers" does not include EVERY boxer. Trying to stay on point here. Exceptions in everything. Never any absolutes.  Weak examples is a mute effort. There was nobody like a young and hungry Tyson in the ring.   But as time passes so do chemical changes in the body. Tend to become less combative, at least in the ring. Probably one of the reasons Tyson gave less than his all in the middle years of his career. Nothing to do with not having built in aggression early in his fighting history. He was also noted for being a street mauler and thug when around 11-12 years of age. That is born aggression plus. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 11:20:39 AM »
"Quite a few boxers" does not include EVERY boxer. Trying to stay on point here. Exceptions in everything. Never any absolutes.  Weak examples is a mute effort. There was nobody like a young and hungry Tyson in the ring.   But as time passes so do chemical changes in the body. Tend to become less combative, at least in the ring. Probably one of the reasons Tyson gave less than his all in the middle years of his career. Nothing to do with not having built in aggression early in his fighting history. He was also noted for being a street mauler and thug when around 11-12 years of age. That is born aggression plus. Good Luck.

Getting back on point: abstinence was primarily believed to increase aggressivity. Whether boxers are in general aggressive is an aside; what mattered was the belief that abstinence could increase the relative aggressivity of each individual.

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 12:45:13 PM »
IMO as long as you're not trying to flog one off while in the middle of a squat you'll be ok. :)
Hrmmm

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 05:58:50 PM »
pounding away on a broad for 45 minutes takes their legs, that is why.  And its true, try to bang your wife/gf after doing squats and riding the bike for 45 minutes.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 06:27:40 PM »
There's a point where enough sex turns ya kind of mushy for a couple days.
esp when ya leave Her in a sweaty useless heap; Her legs like jelly ;).
Hey, find your tolerance level, plenty guys can tear up more than 1 girl regularly and still preform
hard.

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 12:01:43 AM »
From what I can remember...

It takes the average male 3 days to achieve regular test. levels and 7 days to reach peak.  On the 8th day it drops so it turns into a use it or lose it concept.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 04:39:57 AM »
From what I can remember...

It takes the average male 3 days to achieve regular test. levels and 7 days to reach peak.  On the 8th day it drops so it turns into a use it or lose it concept.

Your talking sperm count, right? Not Test.
A Sex session raises test levels considerabley. I got blood work to prove that.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 07:58:28 AM »
pounding away on a broad for 45 minutes takes their legs, that is why.  And its true, try to bang your wife/gf after doing squats and riding the bike for 45 minutes.

especially if you both have worked legs and dieting to slim down...ie - cramps

It's funny as shit as you're both going at it...a little pause, then followed by both of you grabbing a leg and flopping like a fish to work out the cramp!!!! It happens...lol, trust me.

Cerberus2k7

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:08:54 AM »
especially if you both have worked legs and dieting to slim down...ie - cramps

It's funny as shit as you're both going at it...a little pause, then followed by both of you grabbing a leg and flopping like a fish to work out the cramp!!!! It happens...lol, trust me.

And it's not fun. :(  I've had my calf lock up on me RLS style before.  Talk about a mood killer.

Conan Stevens

• Getbig I
  • 7ft tall and 320lbs of muscle
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
Several times a week is not excessive, 3-4 times a day might be as it leaves me lazy to train hard as I am exhausted.

But besides that it keeps all your hormone systems running well.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 12:06:05 AM »
Why not just ask Karl Kox if it has limitted his growth?

The_Crusher

• Getbig II
  • It's not a workout until you bust blood vessels
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
Bear with me here.

I got into a discussion earlier this morning with my training partner about the potential effects of excessive "release" (several times a week) on training. 

He argues that regular 'release' encourages the male body to up it's testosterone production and hence aid in growth, but I feel that if you're always busting your nut, your testosterone levels will be low and growth will in turn be hindered.  I don't really have any evidence, but I guess he doesn't either. 

I'm inclined to believe him because he's by no means a small guy and openly admits to whacking it every morning before work as a habit.  I'm still skeptical...it just seems counter intuitive to me.  I couldn't find any studies or related discussion anywhere on the web.  What do you guys think? 

jonsande,

I know for a fact, my body mind you, that I never touched the tool before a work out. If you do your aggression will be lost and you won't have an edge in the gym, i.e. your focus will be off. If you wanta play just remember that play time comes after weight time. It's that simple.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 04:02:46 PM »
jonsande,

I know for a fact, my body mind you, that I never touched the tool before a work out. If you do your aggression will be lost and you won't have an edge in the gym, i.e. your focus will be off. If you wanta play just remember that play time comes after weight time. It's that simple.

It depends, a short quick hump can rev a guy to the max IME ;)
A John Dough Worlds Luckiesst Man Marrathon sex session will leave ya jelly 4 days.
Real girl meat revs my motor man! Yeah! ;)

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 05:26:53 PM »
jonsande,

and
I think it may be different for everyone.  Sometimes i've had a flog before training and I dont think it affects my intensity.  Also, sometimes a couple hours before rugby games, and I was still agressive and got into punch-ups those games.

I think the only downside could be feeling too relaxed afterwards, which could negatively affect some people in their workout.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 05:37:22 PM »
Just remember to change hands sometimes, to even out the development. ;)