Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 350261 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #75 on: July 31, 2007, 05:47:51 AM »

$100 on #2. 

She's not coming :(....to her credit she has had a lot going on which has interfered w/her getting to the gym.

Just don't use it as an excuse for yourself to not go!  (been there, done that! ;D)

This happens about 50% of the time  :P
R

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: July 31, 2007, 05:59:49 AM »
looking sick luv2hurt, great quads esp.

YoYo DP!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2007, 07:24:52 AM »
I did a very quick and abbreviated leg workout last week that I meant to post.  I had very little time, and I actually broke my own rule about the three must-do exercises.   I only did three exercises, but I switched it up a little bit.  And my quads were VERY sore, much to my surprise.  Here's what I did:

Walking Lunges - 4 sets, first two with 45 pounds, last two with 55 pounds
Jodi's Smith Squats with close stance - 3 sets 135 pounds
Leg Extensions - 4 heavy sets

I then attempted davidpaul's one legged squats and failed miserably.   :-\

That was all I needed to make my quads sore.  This week, I am going to do a longer workout and focus a little more effort on the hams. 

:)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2007, 07:33:21 AM »
I did a leg workout on Sunday that I figured I would share, since it almost Killed me.  I can HARDLY WALK today, I am not kidding.  My glutes and hams are so sore that I almost had to stay home in bed today.  It pains me to sit.   :'(

-Walking lunges - 45 x 15, 55 x 15, 65 x 12, 65 x 12
-Straight Leg Deads - 65 x 20, 95 x 13, 105 x 12
-Free Squats - legs were starting to feel burnt already.  1 set 95 x 15, 2 sets 115 x 12
-Glute-Ham Drops :o 
I am determined to master these!!  I think this is what killed me.  I use the seated calf machine to do these, it works pretty well.  I did four sets of 10, and I used the weighted body bar to push myself back up since I cannot do them on my own yet.
-Seated Calf Raises - 3 sets to failure, 45 pound plate
-Leg Extensions - 50 x 18, 65 x 15, 80 x 12, 95 x 10
-Finished off with two sets of single leg hammy curls , 8 on each leg with 35 pounds.  I am not sure what possessed me to do this...I don't think I had any idea at the time how badly I had killed my hammies already. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2007, 07:03:35 PM »
I did a leg workout on Sunday that I figured I would share, since it almost Killed me.  I can HARDLY WALK today, I am not kidding.  My glutes and hams are so sore that I almost had to stay home in bed today.  It pains me to sit.   :'(

-Walking lunges - 45 x 15, 55 x 15, 65 x 12, 65 x 12
-Straight Leg Deads - 65 x 20, 95 x 13, 105 x 12
-Free Squats - legs were starting to feel burnt already.  1 set 95 x 15, 2 sets 115 x 12
I am determined to master these!!  I think this is what killed me.  I use the seated calf machine to do these, it works pretty well.  I did four sets of 10, and I used the weighted body bar to push myself back up since I cannot do them on my own yet.
-Seated Calf Raises - 3 sets to failure, 45 pound plate
-Leg Extensions - 50 x 18, 65 x 15, 80 x 12, 95 x 10
-Finished off with two sets of single leg hammy curls , 8 on each leg with 35 pounds.  I am not sure what possessed me to do this...I don't think I had any idea at the time how badly I had killed my hammies already. 

I love that pain that lasts for about 5 days in your quads and ass  :D  Rip how do you like alternating between quads and hammies like that? I will do quads first and then hams.  I might give that a shot for a change of pace and some new motivation...speaking of motivation  ;)  Im sure if I did walking lunges behind you that would be some even better motivation!!  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: August 15, 2007, 05:09:05 AM »
I love that pain that lasts for about 5 days in your quads and ass  :D  Rip how do you like alternating between quads and hammies like that? I will do quads first and then hams.  I might give that a shot for a change of pace and some new motivation...speaking of motivation  ;)  Im sure if I did walking lunges behind you that would be some even better motivation!!  8)

I don't usually alternate actually, but I was just mixing it up for the hell of it.  And the urge to do the glute-hammy drops came suddenly, so I just went with it.  My quads are the only part of my leg that didn't get SUPER sore from this workout.
I actually usually try to do two leg days a week, one focused more on the quads and one on the hammies.  I have just been slacking so much lately that I only have been doing legs once a week, so I figured I better hit everything.  My hams are still incredibly sore today! 

You can do walking lunges behind me any day baby, as long as I can do them behind you on the way back... :-*

tigereyes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #81 on: August 15, 2007, 05:56:52 AM »
I'm bored, so I'm going to post my leg workout from yesterday...
       AM cardio- 45 minutes stepmill
       PWO cardio-25 minutes incline walking

Squats (on Smith machine so the weights are not necessarily accurate)-
      95x20, 135x15, 185x12, 205x8

Wide/turned out stance squats (on smith)-
     3 sets 135x16

Stiff Leg deads with dumbbells-
      35's x20, 45's x16, 55's x12, 65's x8

Angled Squat machine (not sure what this is called, but its similar to doing a hack squat but facing the pad instead of the normal way)---targets mainly glutes/hamstrings
      3 sets, 1 plate per side x16

Lying ham curls-
      60x20, 75x12, 90x8 (I hate this machine as it goes up in increments of 15lbs)

Walking lunges-
      3 sets 10 each leg w/25lb dumbbells

Single leg extensions, trying to pause/squeeze at top
      3 sets 20 each leg @ 30lbs

I do a variety of high reps/lower reps depending on the exercise.  My legs aren't too bad today...hamstrings are just very tight.  Today is a routine practice/cardio day, so I'll get a good stretch in.
It's amazing how your body gets used to training.  My first leg day back after Team U (hadn't trained legs in about 2 weeks), I did a very basic workout, and was soooo sore for about 4 days after.  Now, 3 weeks later, I'm doing a more advanced workout, and am not all that sore.

Less than 5 weeks til AC   8)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2007, 07:25:27 AM »

I will not be attempting these for a loooong time!!   ;D   I need to first step up my training, and wait til I am "lighter" so I don't have as much "weight" to get back up!

lololz
  :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2007, 08:45:02 AM »
I will not be attempting these for a loooong time!!   ;D   I need to first step up my training, and wait til I am "lighter" so I don't have as much "weight" to get back up!

lololz
  :D

LOL, I hear ya. I actually thought about this too as I was struggling to get back up, even with the assist of a body bar.  But I figured what the hell...if I practice them now, then I'll be flying through them when I don't have as much weight to haul around.  I'm determined! 

I'm bored, so I'm going to post my leg workout from yesterday...
       AM cardio- 45 minutes stepmill
       PWO cardio-25 minutes incline walking

Squats (on Smith machine so the weights are not necessarily accurate)-
      95x20, 135x15, 185x12, 205x8

Wide/turned out stance squats (on smith)-
     3 sets 135x16

Stiff Leg deads with dumbbells-
      35's x20, 45's x16, 55's x12, 65's x8

Angled Squat machine (not sure what this is called, but its similar to doing a hack squat but facing the pad instead of the normal way)---targets mainly glutes/hamstrings
      3 sets, 1 plate per side x16

Lying ham curls-
      60x20, 75x12, 90x8 (I hate this machine as it goes up in increments of 15lbs)

Walking lunges-
      3 sets 10 each leg w/25lb dumbbells

Single leg extensions, trying to pause/squeeze at top
      3 sets 20 each leg @ 30lbs

I do a variety of high reps/lower reps depending on the exercise.  My legs aren't too bad today...hamstrings are just very tight.  Today is a routine practice/cardio day, so I'll get a good stretch in.
It's amazing how your body gets used to training.  My first leg day back after Team U (hadn't trained legs in about 2 weeks), I did a very basic workout, and was soooo sore for about 4 days after.  Now, 3 weeks later, I'm doing a more advanced workout, and am not all that sore.

Less than 5 weeks til AC   8)

DAMN GIRL.  That's a killer workout. 
I'm totally in that place right now where the little workouts are hurting me.  I feel like I took a couple of months off!

You're gonna rock AC.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2007, 06:47:16 PM »
Hey is the AC a show Tiger is getting ready for?  Which one is it?  Good luck tigereyes!

Here is one of the typical leg work outs I would do if I was going to squat that day, I squat with a shoulder width stance and never use knee wraps, just a belt.

1.  Squat:  Bar x20 reps, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12, 315x12, now the work sets start, 365x12, 405x12, 455x8, 315x15-20.

2.  Single leg extensions, up to 60 lbs, hold the top 4x15.  I like to rest very little here and burn the quads up.  Really at this point the rest of the workout is relatively easy after the squats IMO. The rest is just refinement cause after the squats you should be toast, so now relax and just squeeze and pump.  Before I know Iam going to squat hard I get pretty anxious, butterflies.

3.  Single leg press:  Again pretty lite just moving fast and getting more blood in there.  On the Flex leg press I will maybe go up to 3 plates per side this way.

Next is hams since I squatted the hams got some good weight thrown at em there.  I probally would not stiff leg DL on this day. but I love that move and will get up to 315x10 on that when feeling strong.

1.  Kneeling single leg curl:  4x12  I will get up to 90-100 on this

2.  Seated leg curl:  Love this thing, great contraction!  4x12 up to 200lbs here

3.  Lying leg curl 4x12 up to 300lbs on this.

Some days I will do 12 sets for hams and sometimes 10.
Legs are trained once a week.  I keep it simple but do switch my leg workouts up probally every week.  Other wokouts will be variations based on either leg presses or hack squats.

Jodi

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • INBA Professional Competitor
« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2007, 08:30:37 PM »
Here is what I did yesterday:

Hack squat with a wide stance...feet high on the platform:  4 sets.  The weight went from a 45 pound plate on each side to an additional 10 on each side, then another 15 on each side and then another 10 on each side (by the end, I had a 45 and a 35 on each side and did anywhere from 20 to 25 reps per set).  My feet were very wide and very high on the platform, and I kept my pelvis a little forward and off of the padding in order to incorporate the glutes as I pushed upward.

I supersetted this with the following (hobbled right over to the leg extension machine and immediately climbed on):

Leg extensions:  one legged for 4 sets of 15 per leg and then both legs for 10 reps.  Basically, I did 15 reps on the right leg, then 15 reps on the left leg, then used both legs with a much heavier weight and punched out another 10 reps.

Then I puked.

HA!!  Kidding!  But it was pretty tough and I had this ugly scowl on my face.

The next superset (done three times) went like this:

Close stance Smith machine squats with feet far out in front of me and a 45 and a 25 on each side.  I went very low and did 20 to 25 reps for all three sets.

I grabbed two 40-pound dumbbells and did walking lunges, 15 reps per leg.

At this point, my vision began to dim and my ears became a little plugged up.  It seemed that I could only hear the pounding of my heart as it clamored to break free of my chest.

Hamstrings were next, though I would have preferred a hamburger.

Lying leg curls for drop sets.
Straight leg deadlifts with an 80 pound bar for 20 reps.  I used a shoulder width stance this week.  Sometimes I'll use a wide stance.

I finished off with calves.

Tomorrow morning, I'll run the three flights of stairs up and down to my apartment and do that about 10 to 15 times before finishing my cardio on the treadmill at a high incline...all while reading Wicked:  The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.  I'm taking notes...ha!  J/K!

Jodi

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2007, 05:35:21 PM »
Here is what I did yesterday:

Hack squat with a wide stance...feet high on the platform:  4 sets.  The weight went from a 45 pound plate on each side to an additional 10 on each side, then another 15 on each side and then another 10 on each side (by the end, I had a 45 and a 35 on each side and did anywhere from 20 to 25 reps per set).  My feet were very wide and very high on the platform, and I kept my pelvis a little forward and off of the padding in order to incorporate the glutes as I pushed upward.

I supersetted this with the following (hobbled right over to the leg extension machine and immediately climbed on):

Leg extensions:  one legged for 4 sets of 15 per leg and then both legs for 10 reps.  Basically, I did 15 reps on the right leg, then 15 reps on the left leg, then used both legs with a much heavier weight and punched out another 10 reps.

Then I puked.

HA!!  Kidding!  But it was pretty tough and I had this ugly scowl on my face.

The next superset (done three times) went like this:

Close stance Smith machine squats with feet far out in front of me and a 45 and a 25 on each side.  I went very low and did 20 to 25 reps for all three sets.

I grabbed two 40-pound dumbbells and did walking lunges, 15 reps per leg.

At this point, my vision began to dim and my ears became a little plugged up.  It seemed that I could only hear the pounding of my heart as it clamored to break free of my chest.

Hamstrings were next, though I would have preferred a hamburger.

Lying leg curls for drop sets.
Straight leg deadlifts with an 80 pound bar for 20 reps.  I used a shoulder width stance this week.  Sometimes I'll use a wide stance.

I finished off with calves.

Tomorrow morning, I'll run the three flights of stairs up and down to my apartment and do that about 10 to 15 times before finishing my cardio on the treadmill at a high incline...all while reading Wicked:  The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.  I'm taking notes...ha!  J/K!

Sweet.   8)

Good luck with the rest of your prep Jodi.  Keep us posted!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »
Just for the record, the Glute-Ham drops kick ass!!   I cannot do them yet by myself, but I have been practicing with a Body Bar (to help me up) for the last three weeks or so. 

I recommend giving these a try.  I think they are definitely improving my hammy strength.  Today, I did straight leg deads for my third exercise (after squats and lunges), and I did 135x8 for my 3rd and 4th sets.  I have not lifted that kind of weight in quite a while, and it felt relatively easy.  I think the GH drops are helping.  However, I am starting to get a sore right elbow from using the body bar to help push my heavy ass back up!   :-\

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2007, 05:42:47 PM »
Just for the record, the Glute-Ham drops kick ass!!   I cannot do them yet by myself, but I have been practicing with a Body Bar (to help me up) for the last three weeks or so. 

I recommend giving these a try.  I think they are definitely improving my hammy strength.  Today, I did straight leg deads for my third exercise (after squats and lunges), and I did 135x8 for my 3rd and 4th sets.  I have not lifted that kind of weight in quite a while, and it felt relatively easy.  I think the GH drops are helping.  However, I am starting to get a sore right elbow from using the body bar to help push my heavy ass back up!   :-\

Hey I might sound dumb, but what is a Glute/ham drop?  I have never tried it and dont know what it is, but it sounds good.

Nice squats rip baby!  I did legs today too  :)  Was feeling strong and felt like hitting them pretty heavy while Im still at a heavier BW.  It was Leg pesses on the Flex Fitness leg press, which is one of the better ones I have used, 10 plates per side for 10 was my top set   :)

Then single leg extensions with a 3 second hold at the top and 1 second negetive, one right after the other no rest between 4x15, Then lunges 4x10 at this point I was breathing hard.

For Hams,
Standing leg curl 4x12, seated leg curl 3x12, stiff leg DL with DB 3x12

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2007, 06:23:26 PM »
I try to push it on legs, from time to time.

Luv, is that "sled" based leg press you used, how deep do you go? Are your reps slow?

Do you squat?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2007, 07:03:12 PM »
I try to push it on legs, from time to time.

Luv, is that "sled" based leg press you used, how deep do you go? Are your reps slow?

Do you squat?

Yes bro it is a sled type one, it has a good feel and angle.  I go to the point at least where my legs are a little below parallel, meaning my femur and tibia are at a 90 degree angle.  I do go a little deeper than that mostly but not much past the point where my low back starts to lift up and round out, I injured myself before going too deep on the LP, hurt my low back.  My rep speed is not real slow, I would say it is probally average, probally 2-3 seconds per rep.  Slow might be a good idea though on them LP's man that would hurt!

Yes I do squat about once a month only now, I did post some of my numbers in a post above.  When I started training I always squatted, they built my legs really.  I squat less now because it makes my hips a little wide and I have the foundation built.  But I love to do them, IMO there is nothing more bad ass than pushing out of the hole with the bar bending and the plates rumbling.....man that is the shit!!  I have been in squats where I'm just in the zone and its weird but you notice nothing in the backround and you cant hear a thing but your heat beating!  I have noticed though when I dont squat I start to lose some quad sweep.

I have never attempted a 500lb squat but want to one day, fear of injury keeps me from trying and the fact it is probally not necessary.  I can do 455 for 8 so I'm sure I can get 3-4 with 500.

Heres the thing about squats, most people just don't push themselves on them, they quit too soon.  If you have to when you get tired in the set just pause at the top and take a couple breaths then do another rep and keep doing that till you are done, I will even say if you are not doing this, you are not pushing hard enough. You will grow like a MF.

What kind of stuff you doing for legs DavidP?

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2007, 01:16:04 AM »
Yes bro it is a sled type one, it has a good feel and angle.  I go to the point at least where my legs are a little below parallel, meaning my femur and tibia are at a 90 degree angle.  I do go a little deeper than that mostly but not much past the point where my low back starts to lift up and round out, I injured myself before going too deep on the LP, hurt my low back.  My rep speed is not real slow, I would say it is probally average, probally 2-3 seconds per rep.  Slow might be a good idea though on them LP's man that would hurt!

Yes I do squat about once a month only now, I did post some of my numbers in a post above.  When I started training I always squatted, they built my legs really.  I squat less now because it makes my hips a little wide and I have the foundation built.  But I love to do them, IMO there is nothing more bad ass than pushing out of the hole with the bar bending and the plates rumbling.....man that is the shit!!  I have been in squats where I'm just in the zone and its weird but you notice nothing in the backround and you cant hear a thing but your heat beating!  I have noticed though when I dont squat I start to lose some quad sweep.

I have never attempted a 500lb squat but want to one day, fear of injury keeps me from trying and the fact it is probally not necessary.  I can do 455 for 8 so I'm sure I can get 3-4 with 500.

Heres the thing about squats, most people just don't push themselves on them, they quit too soon.  If you have to when you get tired in the set just pause at the top and take a couple breaths then do another rep and keep doing that till you are done, I will even say if you are not doing this, you are not pushing hard enough. You will grow like a MF.

What kind of stuff you doing for legs DavidP?

I do a range of legpresses, sled and non sled types, hack squats, front squats, and lunges, aswell as lying hamstring curls and leg extensions. I like to superset lunges with hamstring curls and leg extensions.

I try to go heavy as I can, on the legpresses/hack/squats and front squats, always finishing with a max out set.

Legs are hard to train lol.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2007, 03:32:16 AM »
I  I like to superset lunges with hamstring curls and leg extensions.

Legs are hard to train lol.

Man that sounds like a hard superset! I think Im gonna try some supers for legs, thanks for the idea.

Yep legs are hard to train.....thats why half the jokers in my gym dont even train them LOL  They just go buy lots of real long shorts  ;D

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2007, 03:37:54 AM »
Man that sounds like a hard superset! I think Im gonna try some supers for legs, thanks for the idea.

Yep legs are hard to train.....thats why half the jokers in my gym dont even train them LOL  They just go buy lots of real long shorts  ;D

I spend around 30 minutes on the super sets, and up the weights on each one. I find lunges are the biggest killer, they really get your breathing lol.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: August 27, 2007, 03:51:55 AM »
I spend around 30 minutes on the super sets, and up the weights on each one. I find lunges are the biggest killer, they really get your breathing lol.

Man you are not kidding I use just about 100lbs max on lunges and them things kick my ass more than anything!!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2007, 04:04:15 AM »
Hey I might sound dumb, but what is a Glute/ham drop?  I have never tried it and dont know what it is, but it sounds good.

Hey Luv, these are glute-ham drops/glute-ham raises, whatever.  Mad props to Layne Norton for this video.   8)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3419848615516816460&q=ham+raise

I am trying to master these, but without the weights!   :P

I don't have a set up like that in my gym with a bench that I can use on the lat pulldown, so I am using the seated calf raise machine.  I kneel on it facing away from the machine and tuck my feet under the knee pads.  I am using a weighted Body Bar to push myself back up since I can't do them yet and don't want to smash my face on the floor.  I put the body bar out in front of me and slightly to the right, and push myself back up using my right arm and the bar.  I am starting to get a sore right elbow though...I felt it yesterday when I was doing these.   :-\
BUT I have been working on them for about a month now at least once a week, and I am convinced that they are increasing my ham strength. 

I'm not sure the seated calf raise would work for someone with much larger legs than mine...it's a pretty tight squeeze.

Be careful first time you try them...I was soooooooo sore, I could not straighten my legs for like three days!   :o

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2007, 06:58:37 AM »

Hey Luv, these are glute-ham drops/glute-ham raises, whatever.  Mad props to Layne Norton for this video.   8)

OMG!  Those look sick!  I would be afraid too of just smashing my face into the ground LOL, Im gonna try it next Sunday to see if I can do them. Thanks Rip!  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2007, 10:41:55 AM »
OMG!  Those look sick!  I would be afraid too of just smashing my face into the ground LOL, Im gonna try it next Sunday to see if I can do them. Thanks Rip!  :)

Do you have a bench set up that you can use for these in your gym? 
It looks like Layne used a flat bench laid across the lat pulldown and used the knee pads on the lat pulldown for his feet.  Our flat benches have bars across the bottom so you can't lay them on top of the lat pulldown machine.  That's why I have to use the seated calf raise machine, but I doubt that you could fit your knees comfortably on that.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2007, 01:46:41 PM »
Do you have a bench set up that you can use for these in your gym? 
It looks like Layne used a flat bench laid across the lat pulldown and used the knee pads on the lat pulldown for his feet.  Our flat benches have bars across the bottom so you can't lay them on top of the lat pulldown machine.  That's why I have to use the seated calf raise machine, but I doubt that you could fit your knees comfortably on that.

You know Im gonna go scout the place out today and see if I can come up with a set up for it.  We have an Icarian and hammer seated calf the hammer has a pretty big seat but knee pads slide up and down on that one and not sure I would want them slipping up while doing that, but it might work.  I m thinking maybe the donkey calf might work, maybe.  I will figure something out cause Im dying to see if I can do them rip baaaaby  :)

Thanks for the warning of soreness, my legs are sore today already from yesterdays session, but then again I'm Luv 2...... :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2007, 04:30:16 AM »
You know Im gonna go scout the place out today and see if I can come up with a set up for it.  We have an Icarian and hammer seated calf the hammer has a pretty big seat but knee pads slide up and down on that one and not sure I would want them slipping up while doing that, but it might work.  I m thinking maybe the donkey calf might work, maybe.  I will figure something out cause Im dying to see if I can do them rip baaaaby  :)

Thanks for the warning of soreness, my legs are sore today already from yesterdays session, but then again I'm Luv 2...... :D

Well, then you are gonna LUV these baby, cuz they HURT!  I thought I was doing OK, but today is Day 2, and I can hardly move my lower body. 

I wish we had a donkey calf raise at my gym!!   :P