Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 350251 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2007, 07:01:39 PM »
In an attempt to inspire Luv2Hurt to post pics of his glutes  ;D, I dug up some old training pics from about 2 years ago.

MAD PROPS to my trainer Dave Nock of Hard Nocks Gym.  He is hardcore and old school, and he kicked my ass on multiple occasions.  He liked to take the training outside and really pound you.   8)

Try doing walking lunges up Main Street with a guy yelling at you the whole time.  At one point around when the pic was taken, he was going "come on, only about 60 yards left!!!"  Then he made me stop and do squats with the barbell over my head.    :o

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »
In an attempt to inspire Luv2Hurt to post pics of his glutes  ;D, I dug up some old training pics from about 2 years ago.

Cool pics and memories!

LOL  ;D Those pics will be coming. about 10 pounds of fat and hair have to come off, LOL.  Comp coming up end of October so will be getting IN shape soon and then Im sure I will be showing thangs off.  ;D

Heres one that I found, might be good for an ab section.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2007, 08:05:03 PM »
Cool pics and memories!

LOL  ;D Those pics will be coming. about 10 pounds of fat and hair have to come off, LOL.  Comp coming up end of October so will be getting IN shape soon and then Im sure I will be showing thangs off.  ;D

Works for me.   8)
What show are you doing?

I'll have to figure out how to move this pic over to the AB Training thread to make more room here for your glute pics.   ;D

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2007, 02:18:33 AM »
OMG I think he's from my gym...and let me tell ya...no glutes to show...

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2007, 02:20:02 AM »
Cool pics and memories!

May I lick your abs...just to be sure they are real for research purposes only...giggle

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2007, 04:27:30 AM »
OMG I think he's from my gym...and let me tell ya...no glutes to show...

I dont think Im the guy....although I wish I worked out at the same gym as the BGoddess, Im in Chicago area.  And yes these glutes are pumping, thanks for the push cause its on now  :P

May I lick your abs...just to be sure they are real for research purposes only...giggle

Yes you may....but remember Im a giver.... :) 

Works for me.   8)
What show are you doing?

I'll have to figure out how to move this pic over to the AB Training thread to make more room here for your glute pics.   ;D

Thanks champ, coming from you Iam very flattered  8).  Im doing the NPC Continental USA its on October 27th right in my home town, so it's gonna be a big show for me.  I will be coming in the best shape of my life and I will be putting it down!!

Thanks you guys, this is a cool board, I can feel your energy and am feeding off of it, you guys dont talk about it....you DO IT!  I Will be adding energy to the board too, you will see, like I said I'm a giver  ;D 

Hey Ripitup, whats up next for you in competitions?   

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2007, 04:48:17 AM »
I dont think Im the guy....although I wish I worked out at the same gym as the BGoddess, Im in Chicago area.  And yes these glutes are pumping, thanks for the push cause its on now  :P

Yes you may....but remember Im a giver.... :) 

Thanks champ, coming from you Iam very flattered  8).  Im doing the NPC Continental USA its on October 27th right in my home town, so it's gonna be a big show for me.  I will be coming in the best shape of my life and I will be putting it down!!

Thanks you guys, this is a cool board, I can feel your energy and am feeding off of it, you guys dont talk about it....you DO IT!  I Will be adding energy to the board too, you will see, like I said I'm a giver  ;D 

Hey Ripitup, whats up next for you in competitions?   

Awesome...I like givers...  ;)

I'm taking a break for now, not competing again till 2008.  I am doing Nationals for sure next year, and I have my eye on one other big show beforehand...but I'm gonna wait till the end of this year to make any final decisions.  I am already getting excited!
Were you at Jr Nats?

Good luck to you during your prep!!  Please keep us posted...with lots of pics...I'll start a thread for every body part.   ;D
You can definitely help to motivate the ladies here, and hopefully we can do the same for you. 

:-*

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2007, 10:19:35 AM »
I was looking at Rips walking lunge pics (I think I would start yelling back at someone!!)  but then I scrolled down and got distracted......

ok, scrolling back up again........wait.....pa use...............okay.. ..

8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2007, 12:08:17 PM »

DANGEROUS.... :D

Actually, it may work the glutes well....I was going to suggest an exercise that involves walking backwards up a set of stairs in a squat position, so I imagine that using the stairclimber is equally as beneficial.  However, you're gonna have to slow it down quite a bit so that you don't wipe out, in which case you may not get as much of a benefit from the calorie burning perspective.

Personally, I would keep using the stairclimber forwards for maximum calorie burn, and incorporate some backwards squats up stairs as a modified squatting exercise or an additional exercise if you are so inclined.

Hey Stella
I found a couple of training pics from a couple of years ago that demonstrate this backwards squat exercise.  Maintain this position as you squat backwards up the stairs, and then squat down the stairs.  You would not believe how hard this becomes...quickly!

You can also do "walking squats" which are quite difficult too.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2007, 06:31:48 AM »
My driveway is a hill (incline).  I bet I could do those up and down it.  Would be kind of in between the flat and the stair squats.   They look brutal!!

I think those pics would be even better if your training was eating a sammich while you busting your ass!     ;D    10 more feet!!  yummm.... needs more mayo....  Work it girl!! 
     ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2007, 07:16:04 AM »
LuvtoHurt = great physique....great legs

Hey Stella
I found a couple of training pics from a couple of years ago that demonstrate this backwards squat exercise.  Maintain this position as you squat backwards up the stairs, and then squat down the stairs.  You would not believe how hard this becomes...quickly!

You can also do "walking squats" which are quite difficult too.

OOOO those look good Rip.  We will do them on a bleacher day.  My poor workout partner.....BWAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHA!
R

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »

I'm taking a break for now, not competing again till 2008.  I am doing Nationals for sure next year, and I have my eye on one other big show beforehand...but I'm gonna wait till the end of this year to make any final decisions.  I am already getting excited!
Were you at Jr Nats?

Good luck to you during your prep!!  Please keep us posted...with lots of pics...I'll start a thread for every body part.   ;D
You can definitely help to motivate the ladies here, and hopefully we can do the same for you. 

:-*

Thanks Rip   :)  And STella for the compliments  :-*

No I did not make the JR Nats this year  :(  I usually at least see the mens pre-judging.  Wish I could have saw you kick butt!!  I think I will go next year on Friday and check out you girls.

Man that kicks ass doing the Nationals and I for sure think you should  :)  I see a pro card....if that's what you want in your future  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2007, 05:33:41 PM »
Thanks Rip   :)  And STella for the compliments  :-*

No I did not make the JR Nats this year  :(  I usually at least see the mens pre-judging.  Wish I could have saw you kick butt!!  I think I will go next year on Friday and check out you girls.

Man that kicks ass doing the Nationals and I for sure think you should  :)  I see a pro card....if that's what you want in your future  8)

Thanks man...whatever it will be, it will be GOOD.  And I fully intend to have fun while I'm at it.    8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2007, 06:54:17 PM »
My driveway is a hill (incline).  I bet I could do those up and down it.  Would be kind of in between the flat and the stair squats.   They look brutal!!

I think those pics would be even better if your training was eating a sammich while you busting your ass!     ;D    10 more feet!!  yummm.... needs more mayo....  Work it girl!! 
     ;D

;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2007, 05:39:53 AM »
Well it is Sunday and that means quads and hams  ;D  Think today I will try and leg press, knee has been getting sore.  leg ext and hacks should do it for quads.  Then probally stiffleg DL, seated and lying leg curls for hamstrings.  I really love to slam on legs, luv to get the bar bending  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2007, 05:49:00 AM »
Well it is Sunday and that means quads and hams  ;D  Think today I will try and leg press, knee has been getting sore.  leg ext and hacks should do it for quads.  Then probally stiffleg DL, seated and lying leg curls for hamstrings.  I really love to slam on legs, luv to get the bar bending  :)

This post is useless without pics.   ::)

But the workout sounds pretty good.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2007, 07:54:12 AM »

This post is useless without pics.   ::)

But the workout sounds pretty good.   8)

yeah your right, heres an offseason LUV getting ready to train legs....Today....once I wake up  ;D  I got a little meat on that azz  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2007, 09:21:38 AM »
yeah your right, heres an offseason LUV getting ready to train legs....Today....once I wake up  ;D  I got a little meat on that azz  8)

Much better, you're getting the hang of it now.   ;)

8)

Jodi

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • INBA Professional Competitor
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2007, 06:57:03 PM »
I haven't gone through all of this thread, but I do want to step in and say that I incorporated the walking squats in my cardio session this afternoon and really liked them, Lori!  Thanks for that tip, along with the backwards stairs and the squat steps down the stairs.

I would say that the following exercises helped me the most in building thick, hard, round glutes and creating more mass in my quads, though one must remember that I have a propensity through genetics in building a bubble butt and very thick quads.  I am very short (4'11") and have very long muscle bellies...a good combination for both powerlifting and bodybuilding.  And I began in powerlifting, which allowed me to build a foundation that cannot be replaced with anything else.

Free rack squats, wide stance.  I used a wider than shoulder width stance when preparing for powerlifting meets and in fact did not change this stance until I began training for figure competitions.  This exercise was a huge, huge, huge factor in building my glutes and creating enough muscle that would not disappear even when dieting.  Squatting lower than a 90-degree angle is another key, and I continue to do that even when keeping my feet at shoulder width apart.  I will squat somewhere between 135 pounds to 185 pounds for reps when prepping for shows, especially now that I'm back in bodybuilding.  I will also incorporate drop sets, and I will typically superset these with very heavy leg presses in order to truly kill my lower body.

Walking lunges with either dumbbells or a bar on the back.  I will use 35 or 40 pound dumbbells or an 80 pound bar on my back and do reps of 12 to 20 per leg, long strides, low to the ground.  Make sure you create a 90-degree angle with the knee with every single step and push through the heel when rising up.  I do not rest in between each step; I do not try to steady myself.  I simply stride in the same manner as if I were walking.  I will also throw in walking lunges (regular or diagonal) in cardio intervals when I'm outside and do as many as 50 to 100 per leg.  I've walked an entire football field and back with these things.

Leg press with feet high on the platform.  Make sure you do a real leg press, not a sissy one where the platform moves only a few inches.  Knees to chest without rounding out the back or bringing it off of the bench.  I put anywhere from four to six plates on each side of the leg press and do 12 to 20 reps.  I usually superset this exercise with leg extensions, walking lunges, or heavy squats.

Smith machine squats with feet narrow and far out in front of you.  When you sit down into this exercise, you should be at a perfect 90-degree angle at the knee, the thigh parallel to the ground.  Push through the heels and use the glutes to rise up to starting position.  The Smith machine is also good for stationary lunges.

I could go on and on and on.  I just try to vary it up, pile up exercises one right after the other for supersets and trisets, and work my ass off to build it up.  If you don't feel dizzy, aren't seeing spots, don't have a ringing in your ears, or think you are about to vomit on leg day, then you aren't training hard enough.

I also use the stepmill, the stepper, and a high incline treadmill for cardio (12% incline).  Running stairs and sprints also work very well.

I don't have a problem with building my legs.  I just have a problem in getting rid of the fat and water in my lower quads, and it's something I continually strive to achieve for each show.  It will be very important to do at the World Championships.  I'm incorporating a lighter leg day in addition to the heavier leg day and using very high reps and burning out the muscle.  Plyometrics will have a bigger role in my training as well.  We shall see how it all pans out in eight weeks.
Jodi

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2007, 03:35:50 AM »
I don't have a problem with building my legs.  I just have a problem in getting rid of the fat and water in my lower quads, and it's something I continually strive to achieve for each show.  It will be very important to do at the World Championships.  I'm incorporating a lighter leg day in addition to the heavier leg day and using very high reps and burning out the muscle.  Plyometrics will have a bigger role in my training as well.  We shall see how it all pans out in eight weeks.

To improve seperation in my quads I like to do one leg at a time leg extensions.  I hold the contracted position for a count of 3 and the down part takes 1 second.  Do these for sets of 12-15 and just burn in the cuts  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2007, 04:48:59 AM »
I haven't gone through all of this thread, but I do want to step in and say that I incorporated the walking squats in my cardio session this afternoon and really liked them, Lori!  Thanks for that tip, along with the backwards stairs and the squat steps down the stairs.

I would say that the following exercises helped me the most in building thick, hard, round glutes and creating more mass in my quads, though one must remember that I have a propensity through genetics in building a bubble butt and very thick quads.  I am very short (4'11") and have very long muscle bellies...a good combination for both powerlifting and bodybuilding.  And I began in powerlifting, which allowed me to build a foundation that cannot be replaced with anything else.

Free rack squats, wide stance.  I used a wider than shoulder width stance when preparing for powerlifting meets and in fact did not change this stance until I began training for figure competitions.  This exercise was a huge, huge, huge factor in building my glutes and creating enough muscle that would not disappear even when dieting.  Squatting lower than a 90-degree angle is another key, and I continue to do that even when keeping my feet at shoulder width apart.  I will squat somewhere between 135 pounds to 185 pounds for reps when prepping for shows, especially now that I'm back in bodybuilding.  I will also incorporate drop sets, and I will typically superset these with very heavy leg presses in order to truly kill my lower body.

Walking lunges with either dumbbells or a bar on the back.  I will use 35 or 40 pound dumbbells or an 80 pound bar on my back and do reps of 12 to 20 per leg, long strides, low to the ground.  Make sure you create a 90-degree angle with the knee with every single step and push through the heel when rising up.  I do not rest in between each step; I do not try to steady myself.  I simply stride in the same manner as if I were walking.  I will also throw in walking lunges (regular or diagonal) in cardio intervals when I'm outside and do as many as 50 to 100 per leg.  I've walked an entire football field and back with these things.

Leg press with feet high on the platform.  Make sure you do a real leg press, not a sissy one where the platform moves only a few inches.  Knees to chest without rounding out the back or bringing it off of the bench.  I put anywhere from four to six plates on each side of the leg press and do 12 to 20 reps.  I usually superset this exercise with leg extensions, walking lunges, or heavy squats.

Smith machine squats with feet narrow and far out in front of you.  When you sit down into this exercise, you should be at a perfect 90-degree angle at the knee, the thigh parallel to the ground.  Push through the heels and use the glutes to rise up to starting position.  The Smith machine is also good for stationary lunges.

I could go on and on and on.  I just try to vary it up, pile up exercises one right after the other for supersets and trisets, and work my ass off to build it up.  If you don't feel dizzy, aren't seeing spots, don't have a ringing in your ears, or think you are about to vomit on leg day, then you aren't training hard enough.

I also use the stepmill, the stepper, and a high incline treadmill for cardio (12% incline).  Running stairs and sprints also work very well.

Great info Jodi, thanks!  I'm sure there are tons of ladies who appreciate advice on how to train glutes, especially from you!   8)

And I agree with Luv2Hurt re. separation.  I have asked for advice on leg separation from numerous people, and all of them have recommended one legged extensions with a hold at the top....along with numerous sets of squats, wide stance and narrow.  Plyometrics and sprints also!

Another thing - several FBBs have told me that regular posing practice makes a HUGE difference with leg separation.  I was told to practice posing and flexing the legs over and over again, including in between sets during the leg workout (although that's prolly the worst time to actually see the separation).  It's the same concept as the one legged extensions - squeezing and holding the muscles in a contracted position.  I have to agree, as this has made a difference for me.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2007, 06:28:45 AM »

Great info Jodi, thanks!  I'm sure there are tons of ladies who appreciate advice on how to train glutes, especially from you!   8)

And I agree with Luv2Hurt re. separation.  I have asked for advice on leg separation from numerous people, and all of them have recommended one legged extensions with a hold at the top....along with numerous sets of squats, wide stance and narrow.  Plyometrics and sprints also!

Another thing - several FBBs have told me that regular posing practice makes a HUGE difference with leg separation.  I was told to practice posing and flexing the legs over and over again, including in between sets during the leg workout (although that's prolly the worst time to actually see the separation).  It's the same concept as the one legged extensions - squeezing and holding the muscles in a contracted position.  I have to agree, as this has made a difference for me.

Yep and the same thing works good for hamstrings too!!  Flexing and posing between sets is a good idea, I see people always stretching between sets, this is wrong, as stretching tells the muscles "its time for rest" so do it after your training.  Contracting says "muscles get ready to work your asses off!!"  ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2007, 12:34:07 PM »

---Walking Lunges - 4 sets with 45 pound bar, about 12-15 each leg
---Free Squats - 1 set 95 pounds x 20, 2 sets 115 pounds x 15
---Straight Leg Deadlifts - 1 set 85 pounds x 18, 2 sets 95 pounds x 15
---Seated Calf Raises - 2 sets with 45 pound plate on, as many as I could do till it hurt too much
---Leg Extensions - 3 sets on machine (can't remember weight 50 or 65) x 15
---Seated Hammy Curl - 2 sets on machine (can't remember weight) x 15
---Lying Hammy Curl - 2 light sets (50 pounds?) x 15

Did this w/my workout partner today (her first time doing this particular leg workout).

Will she:

1) show up tomorrow mad at me and rip
2) call and say something came up and she can't train

Place your bets!
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2007, 12:52:35 PM »
Did this w/my workout partner today (her first time doing this particular leg workout).

Will she:

1) show up tomorrow mad at me and rip
2) call and say something came up and she can't train

Place your bets!

$100 on #2. 

Just don't use it as an excuse for yourself to not go!  (been there, done that! ;D)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2007, 01:53:20 PM »
looking sick luv2hurt, great quads esp.