Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 352143 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2007, 04:15:24 PM »
HAHAHAHA  NICE.   8)

I'm headed to the gym now, and I needed a little pick me up! 

Oh and don't worry, I'm carrying about 20 pounds of extra "meat" these days.   ;D
:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2007, 04:24:25 PM »
HAHAHAHA  NICE.   8)

I'm headed to the gym now, and I needed a little pick me up! 

Oh and don't worry, I'm carrying about 20 pounds of extra "meat" these days.   ;D

Well thats just a little more cushion for the pushing.......OOppps I mean in the gym of course  ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2007, 07:07:21 AM »
Shox are cool shoes but they are horrible for squatting, especially front squats. The way the heel is designed it's almost imposable to keep your heel flat on the ground...and it's not like squatting with a block or plate under your heels, it seems to create a 'dead space" of air between your heel and the floor, which we all know is bad since this can make you lean too far forward.

I bought a pair of shoes about a year ago that I pretty much only wear on leg day. They're really flat and really hard on the bottom...not all that comfortable and I wouldn't want to run in them but they're perfect for squatting. I squat with those about half the time and the other times I squat barefoot. I actually prefer the barefoot squat because you seem to have so much more controll doing it this way but doing it that way every single time does put a lot of stress on your foot, especially in the arches of your feet.

Arnold posted this in the track workouts thread.  I've never tried squatting barefoot but maybe I will. 

My gym floor is kinda gross... :-\

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2007, 07:44:20 AM »
Try a pair of high top leather work boots w/ the heel pulled off for Squat, Hack mach, etc.
Flat as it gets and lots of support. No good to walk in much.
I dont lace all the way up, just wrap around ankle.
Might find a beat pair to try & see if it's a good feel/ support.
Low quality ones dont have the rugged sole and sides though.

Nothing beats Red Wings for ruggedness. They are practicly indestructable.
I also like bare foot. But theres a point I want support.  I'm used to steel toes anyway.
Gyms get close quarters at times, idiots drop plates now and then.

THey wont work for many movments/ machines, but are VERY good for some.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2007, 08:25:26 AM »

Arnold posted this in the track workouts thread.  I've never tried squatting barefoot but maybe I will. 

My gym floor is kinda gross... :-\

Yes the flatest shoes you can get would be a good idea.  I don't like the idea of barefoot squats for a variety of reasons a couple you guys touched on, the arch support, the chance of injury to your feet also and the gross floor.

Really just a good pair of cross trainers or running shoes is fine for BB IMO, just think weight back on your heals and keep it there as best you can. 

Rip I would just not suggest your 5 inch platform FMP's  :P for this exercise though.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2007, 04:53:17 AM »
Rip I would just not suggest your 5 inch platform FMP's  :P for this exercise though.

NO?!?!   ;D

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2007, 07:25:18 AM »
I vote for the Heels, and Get the Gene there behind the Camera lens.  ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2007, 10:20:16 AM »
I vote for the Heels, and Get the Gene there behind the Camera lens.  ;)

Now that's a good idea for the next time I shoot with Gene...I'll see what I can do.   8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2007, 04:41:46 AM »
I went for volume last night, so I tried to do more sets with slightly less weight. 

Apparently it was also "talk to rip while she's trying to train" night at the gym, so I tried to keep moving.   ::)

-I did 10 minutes on the stair climber and a whole bunch of Luv's one legged stationary lunges without any weight as a warmup, while I was yapping on the phone.  I hate people who talk on their cell phone at the gym.  ;D
- 4 sets of squats - one warmup and 3 working sets.  Working sets were 145 pounds.
- 3 sets of Smith machine squats with less weight and legs way out in front and close together
- 3 sets of Luv's stationary lunges, starting with weak leg - first set 35 pound barbell, last two sets 45 pound barbell but they were getting a bit sloppy towards the end
- 4 sets of 12 assisted glute ham drops - I couldn't resist.   ;D  I bent a bit at the hip (cheated) to take some of the pressure off my elbows when coming back up.
- 4 sets seated calf raises
- 3 sets straight leg deadlifts - 95, 135, 155 (155 wasn't very pretty at this point in the workout)
- 3 sets of heavy leg extentions, last set drop set

My legs are pooped out this morning.  I should be crippled by tomorrow. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: September 12, 2007, 04:49:06 AM »
I went for volume last night, so I tried to do more sets with slightly less weight. 

Apparently it was also "talk to rip while she's trying to train" night at the gym, so I tried to keep moving.   ::)

-I did 10 minutes on the stair climber and a whole bunch of Luv's one legged stationary lunges without any weight as a warmup, while I was yapping on the phone.  I hate people who talk on their cell phone at the gym.  ;D
- 4 sets of squats - one warmup and 3 working sets.  Working sets were 145 pounds.
- 3 sets of Smith machine squats with less weight and legs way out in front and close together
- 3 sets of Luv's stationary lunges, starting with weak leg - first set 35 pound barbell, last two sets 45 pound barbell but they were getting a bit sloppy towards the end
- 4 sets of 12 assisted glute ham drops - I couldn't resist.   ;D  I bent a bit at the hip (cheated) to take some of the pressure off my elbows when coming back up.
- 4 sets seated calf raises
- 3 sets straight leg deadlifts - 95, 135, 155 (155 wasn't very pretty at this point in the workout)
- 3 sets of heavy leg extentions, last set drop set

My legs are pooped out this morning.  I should be crippled by tomorrow. 

Man Rip that work out looks great!  Glad you are liking the lunges, they are a good variety for your routine and test your concentration and endurance.  I bet the combo of those and the G/H drops, plus the squats !! should have your glutes and hams hurting!!  ;D  I like to spend about 10 min's after I do my leg stuff stretching my hams and quads, seems to help some with the post muscle soreness just a little.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2007, 12:20:10 PM »
  Man Rip that work out looks great!  Glad you are liking the lunges, they are a good variety for your routine and test your concentration and endurance.  I bet the combo of those and the G/H drops, plus the squats !! should have your glutes and hams hurting!!  ;D  I like to spend about 10 min's after I do my leg stuff stretching my hams and quads, seems to help some with the post muscle soreness just a little.

I am SOOOOO sore.   :'(

Funny thing is it's not my glutes and hams so much as my quads.  My quads are KILLING me, like the knee-buckling kind of soreness when I walk and don't take great care with every step.  I didn't even think that I hit my quads during this workout very much...I almost threw in a few sets of leg presses, and I am glad now that I didn't.  It must have been your lunges.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »
LOL Im feeling the same way rip!  Did legs yesterday and my entire quad/glute/hams are major sore!!  Damn was hard going down the stairs after the session yesterday and today really feels good, which means it hurts LOL

Here is what I did:

Hack squats (Icarian hack slide)  I like this machine as it puts minimal stress on my knees.  5x8-15reps top 2 sets were 5 plates per side and did drop downs on the other hack machine next door that I set up with 1 plate per side for the drop sets

Luvy Lunges  :): man I felt really strong and good on these.  Did 4x10-12 reps  Top set used 95lb BB

Single leg extensions:  Held the top for 3 and down for 1, very light 30lbs but just went one leg after another no rest 4x12-15 reps

Seated leg curls 5x12

Standing leg curls 5x10-12

Man the hacks really fried me.  I always push the first big basic movement hard!!  And pretty much that does it for me, its all down hill from there.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2007, 03:43:30 AM »
haha I love the "luvy lunges"    ;D

:-*

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2007, 04:23:50 PM »
I tweeked my back earlier this week (bench pressing lol), so I decided to do an all-machine lower body workout this week.  I didn't want to put any of the weight on my back, so I skipped all of the bigger power moves (squats, lunges).

I did a bunch of sets, and I went heavy, or at least I thought I did.  I did at least four sets on each machine.

---Nautilus leg press (I went up to 260 pounds)
---Nautilus leg extension
---seated hammy curls
---lying hammy curls
---outer thigh (I think this machine is pretty pointless but I did it anyway since I was doing all machines)
---seated calf raises
---I finished out with two sets of assisted glute-hammy drops even though I probably shouldn't have.

My legs were shaky after the workout, but I wasn't sore at all, except for a little in my calves.  This convinced me that the bigger compound movements are necessary to really get a good leg workout.  My back is still tweeked, but I am gonna suck it up and do the big three leg exercises tomorrow.

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2007, 01:46:00 PM »
I did legs Saturday.  Here is what I did.

Dynamic warm-up

Front Squats s/s with back lunges 5x8-10/5x20
Leg presses s/s with sissy squats 4x12-15/4x20
Leg extensions s/s with barbell single leg SLDL 3x15/3x8
Reverse hyperextensions s/s with seated leg curls 4x10/4x15

30 min on treadmill

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »
I did legs Saturday.  Here is what I did.

Dynamic warm-up

Front Squats s/s with back lunges 5x8-10/5x20
Leg presses s/s with sissy squats 4x12-15/4x20
Leg extensions s/s with barbell single leg SLDL 3x15/3x8
Reverse hyperextensions s/s with seated leg curls 4x10/4x15

30 min on treadmill

That sounds like an awesome workout.  Makes me want to train legs right now!

Cham, how do you do your front squats?  I find that balancing a barbell on my front delts hurts quite a bit.  I have done them on the Smith Machine, and it's a little bit easier, but it still hurts. 
Good thing about front squats on the Smith Machine is that you can go ass to grass.   8)

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2007, 06:59:32 PM »

That sounds like an awesome workout.  Makes me want to train legs right now!

Cham, how do you do your front squats?  I find that balancing a barbell on my front delts hurts quite a bit.  I have done them on the Smith Machine, and it's a little bit easier, but it still hurts. 
Good thing about front squats on the Smith Machine is that you can go ass to grass.   8)

Lori, my grip is a "Clean-grip" using straps.  I take my straps and loop them around the bar, (not my wrists) then I hold on to the strap.  The bar does go across my delts though. This grip is different than a crossover grip.  I am trying to develop this so that I can eventually try my hand at some Olympic lifts...we'll see.  Eventually, I am going to take the straps off.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2007, 08:41:32 PM »
Lori, my grip is a "Clean-grip" using straps.  I take my straps and loop them around the bar, (not my wrists) then I hold on to the strap.  The bar does go across my delts though. This grip is different than a crossover grip.  I am trying to develop this so that I can eventually try my hand at some Olympic lifts...we'll see.  Eventually, I am going to take the straps off.

SWEET.   8)

I'll give it a try, just for the sake of comfort.  The crossover grip is really tough. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2007, 11:27:04 AM »
Man did legs today and did a different workout cause i trained with another bud who is preping for the same show as me.

Here's what we did

Leg extensions: 5x15 holding the top for 3 and down for 1, really started to burn as the weight got heavier.  Top set for me was 165

Icarian lying hack machine: 4x12-15 Usually use this as a finisher sometimes but went pretty heavy on it for now the stack is 400 we did 360 for 12.

Walking lunges:  3X ? I know, I dont usually do these but did cause my bud wanted to, they kicked my butt pretty damn good, had me hurting on the trip back.  I went DEEP on em!

Standing leg curls: 4x12

Seated leg curls: 4x12

Tuff time walking down stairs when done  ;D

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2007, 11:42:18 AM »

Icarian lying hack machine: 4x12-15 Usually use this as a finisher sometimes but went pretty heavy on it for now the stack is 400 we did 360 for 12.

Is this differant from a regular hack squat machine? If so, what is this?

BTW, for you guys who never do staggered squats, definitely give these a try. I've been loving these things for the past month or so. Absolutely kills your inner thighs and hams...makes my ass feel like it's in knots afterwards, lol!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2007, 12:41:23 PM »
Is this differant from a regular hack squat machine? If so, what is this?

BTW, for you guys who never do staggered squats, definitely give these a try. I've been loving these things for the past month or so. Absolutely kills your inner thighs and hams...makes my ass feel like it's in knots afterwards, lol!

This is it AJ  They call it a leg sled.  I used hack squat cause it feels like one to me.  I guess Precor and Icarian are the same company.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2007, 01:25:21 PM »
legs training is the hardest to get motivated I think.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2007, 03:57:54 PM »
legs training is the hardest to get motivated I think.

I agree.  I have been so focused on chest training lately that I have had a hard time with legs.  After not doing legs for two weeks, and doing an all-machine leg workout before that (cuz of my back pain), I decided to do a big leg workout on Friday, and I am SO sore today that I seriously can hardly walk.  I can't bend over at all lol.   :-\
I was also not feeling strong at all, so I kept it in the higher rep range. 

I may be changing up my leg program for the next few months, I am not sure yet.

SQUATS  - warm up with bar, 95 x 20, 145 x 8 for four sets

LEG PRESS - It's a Body Masters leg press lying on the ground, I hate it.   I did one plate on each side, very deep all the way down, for 18.  Then I did two sets with two plates, 8 reps, and I really struggled.  So I did one more set all the way down with one plate, 18 reps.
- I supersetted all my leg press sets with straight leg calf raises on the same machine, about 15 reps each set.

DEADLIFTS - 65 x 20 warmup, 95 x 15, two sets of 135 x 10.  I was dying by this point.

LEG EXTENSIONS/SEATED HAMMY CURLS - I supersetted these two machines for four sets.  The two middle sets were heavier and fewer reps.

STANDING CALF RAISE - Two sets 120 pounds x 15

LYING HAMMY CURL - Two sets 65 pounds x 15 just to drive the point home.

OUCH!!!!!!!!   >:( :'(

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2007, 04:32:51 PM »
sounds like a brutal workout there.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2007, 07:28:38 PM »

I agree.  I have been so focused on chest training lately that I have had a hard time with legs.  After not doing legs for two weeks, and doing an all-machine leg workout before that (cuz of my back pain), I decided to do a big leg workout on Friday, and I am SO sore today that I seriously can hardly walk.  I can't bend over at all lol.   :-\
I was also not feeling strong at all, so I kept it in the higher rep range. 

I may be changing up my leg program for the next few months, I am not sure yet.

SQUATS  - warm up with bar, 95 x 20, 145 x 8 for four sets

LEG PRESS - It's a Body Masters leg press lying on the ground, I hate it.   I did one plate on each side, very deep all the way down, for 18.  Then I did two sets with two plates, 8 reps, and I really struggled.  So I did one more set all the way down with one plate, 18 reps.
- I supersetted all my leg press sets with straight leg calf raises on the same machine, about 15 reps each set.

DEADLIFTS - 65 x 20 warmup, 95 x 15, two sets of 135 x 10.  I was dying by this point.

LEG EXTENSIONS/SEATED HAMMY CURLS - I supersetted these two machines for four sets.  The two middle sets were heavier and fewer reps.

STANDING CALF RAISE - Two sets 120 pounds x 15

LYING HAMMY CURL - Two sets 65 pounds x 15 just to drive the point home.
OUCH!!!!!!!!   >:( :'(

Ohh Rip baby stop it, you have my mind wandering there LOL  :-*

Rip what is this lying leg press?  Is like the ones I have seen from back in the day where you actually lay on the floor.  Rip it sounds like your gym is pretty hardcore?

I checked Bodymasters site and could not find it, maybe its a machine they stopped making?

Hey ripper baby they make one of these though.  ;D

http://www.body-masters.com/bmsi/athletic/AG1000.html