Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 351815 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #350 on: April 14, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
Luv, no pics yet?   :'(

So I am training for the USPF Nationals at the end of June...still not sure if I am going to squat or not, but I am trying to learn how to squat properly and improve my leg strength.  Workouts are a bit different, so I thought I would post my workout tonight here as an example.

This is what I would consider moderate weight right now for the squats.  I am going deeper than I ever have.

SQUATS - Ass to Calves on all of them!
Bar x 15
95 x 15
155 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5

Leg Extensions - 4 sets x 6 heavy

Standing Calf Raises - 4 sets x 15 or failure or whatever

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »
Luv, no pics yet?   :'(

So I am training for the USPF Nationals at the end of June...still not sure if I am going to squat or not, but I am trying to learn how to squat properly and improve my leg strength.  Workouts are a bit different, so I thought I would post my workout tonight here as an example.

This is what I would consider moderate weight right now for the squats.  I am going deeper than I ever have.

SQUATS - Ass to Calves on all of them!
Bar x 15
95 x 15
155 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5

Leg Extensions - 4 sets x 6 heavy

Standing Calf Raises - 4 sets x 15 or failure or whatever

Pics maybe if I can find some decent ones from that time  :) 

Rip that sounds great.  Man do you have to go that deep in the matches?  I'm guessing you will have to learn to squat with wraps if you are gonna use them, they take some time to get used to, probally not like one of those bench shirts though.  I take it you train hams on a different day then quads.

You are already squatting more than even the girls I see who think they are good, they use similar weights maybe a little more but they don't even break parallel.

I trained legs tonight too.  I did some leg presses and hurt my hip a little on my top set with 10 plates as soon as I felt it though about the 4th rep I stopped, which was smart it hurts some now, but should be good in a few days.  man I don't know what happens when that happens but it feels a bit like my femur is popping a bit out of the socket, lots of pressure on the hips doing LP.

I have come to the conclusion I am tearing the f*ck out of myself training legs and need to back off a bit for good, i just cant keep it up like that at this age.

Keep up the great work Rip baby!  I think you should try and do the whole event, just to get a full PL event under your belt.  maybe not that event but one in the not too distant future.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #352 on: April 15, 2008, 06:49:46 AM »
Pics maybe if I can find some decent ones from that time  :) 

Rip that sounds great.  Man do you have to go that deep in the matches?  I'm guessing you will have to learn to squat with wraps if you are gonna use them, they take some time to get used to, probally not like one of those bench shirts though.  I take it you train hams on a different day then quads.

You are already squatting more than even the girls I see who think they are good, they use similar weights maybe a little more but they don't even break parallel.

I trained legs tonight too.  I did some leg presses and hurt my hip a little on my top set with 10 plates as soon as I felt it though about the 4th rep I stopped, which was smart it hurts some now, but should be good in a few days.  man I don't know what happens when that happens but it feels a bit like my femur is popping a bit out of the socket, lots of pressure on the hips doing LP.

I have come to the conclusion I am tearing the f*ck out of myself training legs and need to back off a bit for good, i just cant keep it up like that at this age.

Keep up the great work Rip baby!  I think you should try and do the whole event, just to get a full PL event under your belt.  maybe not that event but one in the not too distant future.

You can always just email the pics to me.  ;)

Take it easy on those hips Luv baby... you have to be in it for the long haul if you want to be your best in October...so don't push it too hard now.  It sounds like you are being smart about it, though...you know what you are doing.  If you feel like something is popping, maybe you should have your chiro check out your hips? 

I'm squatting ass to calves right now primarily to build up leg size and strength while I can (i.e., before I start dieting!) and to learn correct posture on the squats (keeping my back upright).  I'm hoping I can get a little extra quad sweep out of this approach.  Eventually, when I am used to going deep with the heavier weight and have good form, I'll widen my stance a little and work on a good (hopefully heavier) competition squat. 

Squatting this deep is a totally new experience for me.  I'm actually surprised that I can squat that kind of weight ass to calves.  My hips are finally starting to get used to it and are not hurting me at all when I squat now, but I am having a little bit of knee trouble, which I need to be very careful about.

I'm not sure if I will end up wrapping for this meet at the end of June or not.  We'll see how it goes.  There is definitely a learning curve with the wrapping, and I think that wrapping comes into play more when you are using a squat suit, which I am not going to do for this meet.  This meet is all about learning the basics of squatting and deadlifting and getting a decent RAW lift down, i.e. getting a baseline from which to build on in the future.

Oh, and yes, hams are hit pretty damn hard on deadlift day!   :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: April 15, 2008, 06:06:36 PM »

You can always just email the pics to me.  ;)

Take it easy on those hips Luv baby... you have to be in it for the long haul if you want to be your best in October...so don't push it too hard now.  It sounds like you are being smart about it, though...you know what you are doing.  If you feel like something is popping, maybe you should have your chiro check out your hips? 

I'm squatting ass to calves right now primarily to build up leg size and strength while I can (i.e., before I start dieting!) and to learn correct posture on the squats (keeping my back upright).  I'm hoping I can get a little extra quad sweep out of this approach.  Eventually, when I am used to going deep with the heavier weight and have good form, I'll widen my stance a little and work on a good (hopefully heavier) competition squat. 

Squatting this deep is a totally new experience for me.  I'm actually surprised that I can squat that kind of weight ass to calves.  My hips are finally starting to get used to it and are not hurting me at all when I squat now, but I am having a little bit of knee trouble, which I need to be very careful about.

I'm not sure if I will end up wrapping for this meet at the end of June or not.  We'll see how it goes.  There is definitely a learning curve with the wrapping, and I think that wrapping comes into play more when you are using a squat suit, which I am not going to do for this meet.  This meet is all about learning the basics of squatting and deadlifting and getting a decent RAW lift down, i.e. getting a baseline from which to build on in the future.

Oh, and yes, hams are hit pretty damn hard on deadlift day!   :)

Thanks Rip, No things are not popping in my hips on a regular basis but thats a bit what it felt like.  This has happened to me maybe one or two other times so it is not always happening.  Just in this case I was going heavy and for whatever reason it was a bit too much.  It feels pretty good today, but when i woke up this morning it felt like I got ran over by a bus LOL. everywhere. 

To quote a song  :)

"I fake it so real, I am beyond fake
And someday, you will ache like I ache
Someday, you will ache like I ache"

http://video.aol.com/video/music-hole-doll-parts/1449137

Man I hope I make it to October, seems like its gonna be hard. I did have my all time best day on the incline bench though  ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #354 on: April 16, 2008, 04:33:22 AM »
Man I hope I make it to October, seems like its gonna be hard. I did have my all time best day on the incline bench though  ;)

Congrats on the incline PB...that's awesome!!  Maybe it's time for another video clip!  ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: April 17, 2008, 04:24:36 AM »
Congrats on the incline PB...that's awesome!!  Maybe it's time for another video clip!  ;D

Yes that would be cool  ;D  I wish I would have.   Thing is though its kind of hard to do it in a busy gym. Plus I feel a little self concious doing it then, not that I usually care what people think.  My gym is just so not hardcore, there are a few people who compete, but mainly its lots of kids in their xtra small shirts or tuff guy old men who think they are......tuff. LOL  Man sometimes it makes me sick the people in there, Im just amazed at some of the stuff I see.  There are a few good people though.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #356 on: April 17, 2008, 04:40:32 AM »
Yes that would be cool  ;D  I wish I would have.   Thing is though its kind of hard to do it in a busy gym. Plus I feel a little self concious doing it then, not that I usually care what people think.  My gym is just so not hardcore, there are a few people who compete, but mainly its lots of kids in their xtra small shirts or tuff guy old men who think they are......tuff. LOL  Man sometimes it makes me sick the people in there, Im just amazed at some of the stuff I see.  There are a few good people though.

LOL I know what you mean!  I have promised a few squat and DL videos once I get the hang of what I am doing a little more, so I'll post them here as well when I do.  :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: April 17, 2008, 05:26:29 AM »

LOL I know what you mean!  I have promised a few squat and DL videos once I get the hang of what I am doing a little more, so I'll post them here as well when I do.  :)

Nice!  I look forward to it.  Maybe you will be wearing some of those tiny, little shorts that look so good on you  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: April 18, 2008, 07:08:57 AM »
Nice!  I look forward to it.  Maybe you will be wearing some of those tiny, little shorts that look so good on you  ;D

haha Yes, and a pair of stripper heels.  That's usually how I perform squats and DLs.   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: April 18, 2008, 01:25:15 PM »
haha Yes, and a pair of stripper heels.  That's usually how I perform squats and DLs.   ;D

I see, your getting a calf workout at the same time, smart cookie is you  ;D

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #360 on: April 18, 2008, 04:13:57 PM »
Alright lets stop all the ass kissing and start talking about how to get your glutes and thighs shredded!!!! :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: April 18, 2008, 05:32:31 PM »
Alright lets stop all the ass kissing and start talking about how to get your glutes and thighs shredded!!!! :)

We just cant help it Flex  :-*

Flexington S looking to get the wheels in motion!!  :)

Here is a pic so you can see the muscles you will want to target. 

The separation is a combination of training, diet and genetics.  Them quads are crying big tears.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #362 on: April 18, 2008, 05:36:02 PM »
We just cant help it Flex  :-*

Flexington S looking to get the wheels in motion!!  :)

Here is a pic so you can see the muscles you will want to target. 

The separation is a combination of training, diet and genetics.  Them quads are crying big tears.

is that a recent shot?

quads looking killer luv.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2008, 05:48:39 PM »
is that a recent shot?

quads looking killer luv.

Thanks bra  :)  its from last October.  Right now my quads are shall we say a bit blury.  Later this summer they will be looking like that or maybe better i hope.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #364 on: April 18, 2008, 06:16:34 PM »
Nice pic L2H. Now thats what im talking about :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: April 18, 2008, 07:20:13 PM »
Nice pic L2H. Now thats what im talking about :)

Thanks man, thought I would get it back on track.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: April 19, 2008, 05:28:13 PM »
Not to kiss your ass Luv, but your legs look sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeet.   :-*

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: April 19, 2008, 05:47:55 PM »
Not to kiss your ass Luv, but your legs look sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeet.   :-*

;D Thanks Rip Baby!  I never have thought of it as kissing ass but more of a mutual admiration  :-*

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: May 04, 2008, 11:06:52 AM »
What are your best lifts on legs luv?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: May 04, 2008, 11:52:06 AM »
What are your best lifts on legs luv?

Well after reading some of the posts here nothing special i guess LOL.  I have done 10 plates per side on the Flex LP with a full ROM for 12 reps.  And have squated 455lbs for a set of 8 good reps.  I dont use knee wraps either, just a belt.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: May 06, 2008, 04:15:16 AM »
Well after reading some of the posts here nothing special i guess LOL.  I have done 10 plates per side on the Flex LP with a full ROM for 12 reps.  And have squated 455lbs for a set of 8 good reps.  I dont use knee wraps either, just a belt.

That's pretty damn good Luv.  Vids are always welcome...not that you have to prove any of these lifts, but it's just really helpful in terms of learning proper form and getting some good inspiration.  ;) 

I know I've been saying it for a while now, but I'll post some training clips one of these days. 

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: May 06, 2008, 06:13:09 PM »

Dude those impressive numbers for reps, I bet you could have done more if you wanted to.

Said it time and time again, your quads are just SICK. 8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: May 06, 2008, 06:30:20 PM »

That's pretty damn good Luv.  Vids are always welcome...not that you have to prove any of these lifts, but it's just really helpful in terms of learning proper form and getting some good inspiration.  ;) 

I know I've been saying it for a while now, but I'll post some training clips one of these days. 

LOL  ;D  Yeah Rip I would like to do some clips too, your way sweet  :-*  Now Rip Baby clips that would be a hit for sure!

Dude those impressive numbers for reps, I bet you could have done more if you wanted to.

Said it time and time again, your quads are just SICK. 8)

Thanks bro, I think i could probally do a little more but these old bones are scared LOL  Man i gotta say I wish I was 10 years younger, body wise at least  :(

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: May 08, 2008, 03:51:30 AM »
LOL  ;D  Yeah Rip I would like to do some clips too, your way sweet  :-*  Now Rip Baby clips that would be a hit for sure!

Thanks bro, I think i could probally do a little more but these old bones are scared LOL  Man i gotta say I wish I was 10 years younger, body wise at least  :(

lol, your not that old ;)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #374 on: May 26, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »
Man went to the gym today to train legs and was feeling a bit sluggish.  Thought to myself on the way there, just take it easy do a few extensions maybe a light press or 2 some hams and call it a day.  Chatted with a friend for a while before I went up stairs, which was good cause i had some food in my stomach.  My friends like you look like you just woke up, lol and he asks what you training i say legs, hes like Ohh god.  I'm like I will be OK once I get going.

Walk up stairs and now is the moment where either you back down or keep pushing forward. IMO this is the moment that separates the posers from the people who do it for real, the time you gotta say to yourself, "what you gonna do?"

Well you guys know what I did, I walked right over to that squat rack and proceded to have the best leg workout I have had in a very long time since injuring myself.  I had not got back up to 405lb squats since the injury and it was time to get back on the horse.  I wanted at least 6 reps with that considering it has been a while.  Got 2 sets of 8 reps with the 405 and had more left but did hold back some.  I just wanted to walk away from that rack uninjured and on a positive note and i did.  I was really happy about it and it felt good to have the bar bending on my back once again  :)