Author Topic: Training Program for Firefighter  (Read 4148 times)

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Training Program for Firefighter
« on: June 26, 2007, 04:16:38 PM »
What do you guys think the best traing program is for a firefighter?

Thanks!

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
Re: Training Program for Firefighter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 04:21:01 PM »
are you already a fireman or are you planning on trying to get in

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »
I'm not a fireman yet. But hopefully will be soon.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 04:43:55 PM »
You'd want to incorporate a lot of endurance training combined with strength from body weight exercises. I know they train a lot on stairclimbing. Work up to a lot of time on stairmachines AND climb a lot of stairs daily. They might also test on some distance running a mile or so. Then include a lot of calisthenics such as pushups, chins, dips, etc. Some jumping motions would also help as would rope climbing.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »
if i was you i would get my brain ready and get used to getting little amounts of sleep. honestly getting in is the harderst part (depending on were you live) Do you have an EMT or paramedic license?, if not i suggest you get in school and get one. do you have a firefighter 1 certificate or any fire science classes? if not i suggest you get some?. you are trying to get into one of the most competitive Job fields around. as far as a workout. get a back pack with 30 ponds of weight and run 3 miles 3 times a week. do push ups, pull ups, and jump squats. and you'll be fine for the physical. ive taken the physical and its not all that hard. if you are a minority you have an even better shot at it. good luck Ive been trying to get in for about 2 years (California) and its very competitive.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 07:07:22 PM »
The tip about a backpack is very good. I would suggest you do a run once a week with a lighter load, maybe 20-30 lbs, and once a week a walk, with maybe 100-120 lbs in the backpack.

During the heavy walk, find hills and steep roads to walk up and down in.

What kind of gym routine could be used?

Definitely higher reps, and sticking with compound movements, such as deadlifts, squats, shoulder presses, incline benchpress, and very important: heavy ab training.

I would suggest you train in the gym twice a week (eg Mon and Fri) :

Workout 1:
Deadlifts 3 sets 15 reps/Dumbbell rows 3 sets 15 reps
Incline Benchpress 3 sets 15 reps
Chins (weighted) 3 sets 15 reps (or max reps)
Dips (weighted) 3 sets 15 reps
Abs 4 sets 15 reps HEAVY!

Workout 2:
Squats 3 sets 15 reps
Standing shoulder presses, barbell 3 sets 15 reps
Front squats 2 sets 15 reps
Close Grip Benchpress 3 set 15 reps
DB curls 3 set 15 reps
Abs 4 sets 15 reps

Comments: Do dumbbell rows instead of deadlifts every other week, it will give your back the time to grow.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 07:12:18 PM »
you want to train in all planes of motion ( sagital,frontal and transverse), develop strong stability. Fireman have the hardest physical jobs at times and there body needs to handle anything at all times. You don't want to train like a bodybuilder, you want to train for your given activity.

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 07:22:22 PM »
also get comfortable crawling in tight places possibly do some body drags if you can with a punching bag and work on relaxing your breathing because everything changes when you have the gear and mask on, if you can slow down your breathing your o2 will last longer and youll do better in some of the courses.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »
Holding your breath ;D.
Strong man stuff, weights aint real word for lots of your gig. Off balance ungainly stuff.
Carry sandbags (dead weight) up and down ladders, make it up as you go.
I would not put on excess mass. Big boys need more air, and you run out and die sooner, trust me
Ive worked in toxic environs a lot w/ breathing equip.

WOrk out in that heavy gear some how, its clumbsy.

Also, extremes of hot cold and wet.

Get your ass on some const sites and look how stuff is built so you know what your walking on.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »
Fire fighters get a lot of overhead lifting. Ladders and getting equipment in position. Pulling for setting up hoses and platforms to work from. Holding strength is very import with that overhead and pulling motion. Also holding strength just to keep and move a high powered fire hose for long periods (at times a two man job). If you work for a forest or mountain fire department, than your working in very rugged conditions. Those crews go through hell when it's 100 degrees, or more, in SoCal. Plus the added weight of the suit and extra equipment that must be worn. And than your dragging long, very heavy hoses up those inclines to get to the fire control lines.

AS far as training goes, I might suggest stamina type exercises(endurance and strength). Something like clean & press/jerks, cleans, snatches, squat cleans, squats, DL's, STDL's. All forms of overhead presses; front and PBN's. DB presses included also. UPright rows, with BB and or DB's, etc. Firemen have a lot of one arm pressing and pulling work to do at times, so DB's should be included in workouts. A extra strong grip will be very helpful.Some duty firemen will run the fire trails, with a service pack, for extra leg stamina. I have heard of one guy who would run with a full fire suit on, but only at the cooler time of year. Don't worry about looking pretty like a BB'er. You want functional strength for a very demanding job.

Iilwoday gives very good advise. Get some class time in, that's going to help a lot. After you get on a fire department steady, there will be weight training facilities available. And they do eat well. Can on hard on a married guy though. Good Luck.

Side Bar: A guy I went to high school with was in the 101st AirBorne and than got on with the US forest dept. (he had to relearn everything he learned about jumping while in the army)  He was a smoke jumper for awhile in Montana. Last I seen him he was stationed at a fire watch tower in Idaho. He loved that kind of life and some of his stories could be made into a movie. Great life if you don't weaken.,
F

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 08:04:30 PM »
Climbing, hoisting, chopping, dragging, etc. are important.  Work on back strength, grip strenght, leg/glute strength and endurance.  Find a place to climb stairs - 5 stories and work up to doing that with an added 50 pounds.  A weighted vest would be ideal.  You can wear the vest to do pullups, chins, dips, pushups and stair climbing.

This site has some great info.  http://www.strengthcats.com/firepower.htm   
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 08:06:00 PM »
Sorry JPM, looks like we were typing at the same time  :-*
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 08:39:14 PM »
The tip about a backpack is very good. I would suggest you do a run once a week with a lighter load, maybe 20-30 lbs, and once a week a walk, with maybe 100-120 lbs in the backpack.

I seem to recall reading awhile back that having that much weight in a BACKPACK was not a good idea.  I can't for the life of me recall where tho  :-\
:

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 08:57:47 PM »
I will always yield to the lovely and gracious Princess L. Just image the Karma put into action as we both typed at the same time in different parts of cosmic internet space. ...stunning.  And Good Luck also.
F

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 09:25:32 PM »
in new mexico there are in desperate need of fireman especially southern and central new mexico not exaggerating but you could become one and be working as a fireman in 3 months the after that i would transfer to where ever you would like to live

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 09:27:31 PM »

Thanks!

In Chicago you do a few standard tests (benchpress/pushup test, situp and 1.5 mile run for time) and at the academy you do regular 5 mile runs(from what I hear)

I do agree with Dr. D, the best advice would be to stay away from pure bodybuilding routines and do more functional training incorporating different types of loads on the body (unilaterally and bilaterally) in all 3 planes of motion.  www.crossfit.com has some pretty decent programs that emphasize strength, flexability and endurance.

sidenote:  I have 2 uncles who are fireman and they just do the same BB shit as everyone else but they also have had many nagging injuries.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 08:20:01 AM »
Seems like we're all pretty much in agreement here.

Endurance and functionality training.

I suggested 15 reps in the routine, it may be even more beneficial with 20 reps.

I seem to recall reading awhile back that having that much weight in a BACKPACK was not a good idea.  I can't for the life of me recall where tho  :-\

The backpack may break ? 8)

The thing with loading it up real heavy, is that it may somewhat simulate the strains of wearing a oxygen tank and walking upstairs with heavy equipment on the shoulders.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

The Coach

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 11:05:06 AM »

Thanks!

This will help, it was designed by a retired firefighter to now teaches strength, check out the articals, lots of info

http://www.strengthcats.com/home.htm

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 12:05:34 PM »

The backpack may break ? 8)

The thing with loading it up real heavy, is that it may somewhat simulate the strains of wearing a oxygen tank and walking upstairs with heavy equipment on the shoulders.

-Hedge

The article I read may have been more specific to running  :-\  I seem to recall it saying the concentrated/uneven load on the back was bad for the hips and ankles...  I'll see if I can find it.
:

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 12:25:07 PM »

I seem to recall it saying the concentrated/uneven load on the back was bad for the hips and ankles...  I'll see if I can find it.

yes, it will shift your bodyweight past the point of the body's center of gravity which forces your low back, hips and legs to carry the excess load bearing weight which can put a strain on ligaments and muscles.

Brooks

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2007, 03:14:01 PM »
Thank you everyone for all the great info.  I'm in Tucson, Az and I don't think it's too hard to get hired on here.

Here's a link to the physical testing that I'll have to do:
http://www.tucsonaz.gov/fire/Training/TFD_Career/Training_Overview/Recruitment_information_and_da/cpat_infor.html

I plan on starting with a fire science class at the local Jr. College. So for now I've got to put in the work and get into the wright kind of shape.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2007, 05:29:12 PM »

The article I read may have been more specific to running  :-\  I seem to recall it saying the concentrated/uneven load on the back was bad for the hips and ankles...  I'll see if I can find it.

Well, I think running with a really heavy backpack would be a pretty bad idea.

But to prepare for military service, or to prepare for duty as a firefighter, walking with a heavy backpack can be a pretty good idea.

Especially for those going into the military, where some of the special forces could be faced with a situation having to wear backpacks weighing up to 120-140 lbs.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

firefighter b-4

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 05:20:15 PM »
ive been a firefighter for 6 years.  i still lift the same as before but have to change since i work every third dat.
 day one  chest /bi
day two  back/tri
day three work
day 4 legs shoulders
day 5 start over unless tired
day 6 work
just repeat

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2007, 05:41:56 PM »
depends on what type of firefighting your gettting into.  if you are going to be a city firefighter...go ahead and sit around eatin cheez-its all day. doesnt matter...just make sure you look good on paper when you apply.    if you are going into wildland firefighting, and im not talking about the pussy/dumbfuck forest service, then you are going to need strong legs, and great endurance, both cardiovascular and muscular.  pulling line for 3 miles up hill and in the forest with your NOMEX on and temperatures around 110 degrees outside can be a fucking BITCH.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2007, 05:52:44 PM »
depends on what type of firefighting your gettting into.  if you are going to be a city firefighter...go ahead and sit around eatin cheez-its all day. doesnt matter...just make sure you look good on paper when you apply.    if you are going into wildland firefighting, and im not talking about the pussy/dumbfuck forest service, then you are going to need strong legs, and great endurance, both cardiovascular and muscular.  pulling line for 3 miles up hill and in the forest with your NOMEX on and temperatures around 110 degrees outside can be a fucking BITCH.

Not true dude.  Most of those guys are in top shape and extremely strong.
Squishy face retard