Author Topic: no pullover machine  (Read 1212 times)

bassmaster

• Getbig II
no pullover machine
« on: July 07, 2007, 01:16:32 AM »
their was a post here a while back on using modifying high pulleys if their was no accesses to a pullover machine? I'm thinking about buying a machine one day, i love me some pullovers

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: no pullover machine
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 01:30:37 AM »
gotta love em good ol pullovers
im thinking of going to a gym just to use that one because my current gym hasnt got it
Z

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 05:18:04 AM »
You can do dumbbell pullovers or do lat machine pullovers with the pulldown bar and standing up peforming the pull over movement while leaning forward slightly. I LIKE this movement but you can't use alot of weight doing it because of both the angle and your bodyweight.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 06:09:33 AM »
By far the closest thing to a pullover machine is to use ab straps attached to a high pulley, lie on a bench with the straps attached to a medium or low pulley or attach them to a chin up bar and pull up lifting with the elbows.

This takes the secondary muscles like tris out of the equation. Straight arm standing pulldown-type motions using a lat bar are fairly good but still involve other secondary muscles such as tris & forearms.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 04:51:27 PM »
By far the closest thing to a pullover machine is to use ab straps attached to a high pulley, lie on a bench with the straps attached to a medium or low pulley or attach them to a chin up bar and pull up lifting with the elbows.

This takes the secondary muscles like tris out of the equation. Straight arm standing pulldown-type motions using a lat bar are fairly good but still involve other secondary muscles such as tris & forearms.

Which is why the DB or Straight Bar Big-Inhalin' Pullovers are my favorite, hits a TON of muscles.  I think a compound movement like Pullovers are not for isolation, they're for mass and interation of multiple muscles.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 07:30:47 PM »
Which is why the DB or Straight Bar Big-Inhalin' Pullovers are my favorite, hits a TON of muscles.  I think a compound movement like Pullovers are not for isolation, they're for mass and interation of multiple muscles.

The torso muscles are where most of the bulk's gained on this exercise, and the smaller muscles like tris and forearms give out first & can get in the way of focus on the bigger muscles. That making the free weight versions still good but less effective. Why the pullover machine's considered the ultimate & better version of the pullover, due to the better isolation on the larger torso muscles. Pullovers are often referred to as isolation exercises.

Just my opinion.

bassmaster

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 11:36:42 PM »

bingo!! i've been to four 24hr's and none have a pullover machine. wtf.