Author Topic: Does your family understand your passion for BB?  (Read 6752 times)

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Does your family understand your passion for BB?
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2007, 07:07:46 AM »
I'm going to throw out an apology, what I said was really uncalled for and makes me come across like a total internet badass which I am not. I am going to see the movie and will give it an honest review, I have respect for all the hard work that obviously went into it I can only guess I am a little bitter at myself for giving BBing up. SOrry again for all the BS I posted earlier.

wow!!  it took a big man to say that...you have my respect, for what its worth.... dave pulcinella

Monster_Everything

• Getbig IV
  • WOW, he REALLY just said that? (looks at camera)
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2007, 07:08:48 AM »
I wonder if Chris Benoit's family had an understanding of his passion for BB ...
The Number 2 in Scranton

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2007, 07:12:50 AM »
I wonder if Chris Benoit's family had an understanding of his passion for BB ...

Hahaha.

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2007, 07:49:31 AM »
this is the only dvd i am truly excited about . i will buy this one and the first one. it shows behind the scenes, your perspective on bodybuilding - the good and the bad. and shows u being urself and reaching for a dream.

bodybuilding is like a disease in my opinion - if u look objectively, its not important big deal a little muscle here, some cuts there. but when u feel it in the soul and love it.....It means everything. it makes u eat 6 times per day, spend  ur hard earned and scarce cash on good food and supps, on a gym membership and makes u stop doing bad habits which effect ur results.

u think of the greats like serge nubret, mentzer, arnold, boyer and it makes u wanna get cut and lift.

In the end, do what makes u happy. AND GO FOR IT!

It's not just BB that people can get obsessed about. It can be anything...Scrabble, for instance!!

http://www.ericdsnider.com/movies/word-wars/

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2007, 10:47:47 AM »
Epic meltdown!!    ;)

Seriously Dave, be honest. Do you think that once in a while you used your contest prep excuse just to get out of something you didn't want to do? (Not our nephew's birthday. You were legitimately out of town at a contest that weekend.)

LMAO!! YOU CANT SAY "EPIC MELTOWN" ABOUT YOURSELF!!!! can you?

to answer your question, hasnt everyone at one time or another, told a white lie to get out of doing something, yourself included?...whats your point?

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2007, 11:35:20 AM »
What the video doesn't tell you is that this bodybuilder isn't missing out on his kid's lives because he is working out too much...it is because he is too busy doing "gay for pay" to pay for his steroid and GH habit.  ;D

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »
What the video doesn't tell you is that this bodybuilder isn't missing out on his kid's lives because he is working out too much...it is because he is too busy doing "gay for pay" to pay for his steroid and GH habit.  ;D

Wow, that's original. You think that up yourself?

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2007, 12:37:49 PM »
Wow, that's original. You think that up yourself?

and hes so proud of himself too, like he actually came up with something funny. whats he gonna say next..."pull my finger?"

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2007, 12:39:43 PM »
yeah it's hard to believe that your family wouldn't understand the 300 dollar a week grocery bill, the 500 dollar a month supplement bill, the 1000 dollar a month drug bill, the gay for pay, the twice a day "workouts", the carrying a gallon of water everywhere you go, the 13 meals a day, not being able to pick up the baby because of back pain, not being able to throw a baseball around because of shoulder pain, etc. ::)

AHAHAHAHAAH!!!!   Couldn't have said it better.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2007, 12:21:04 PM »

and hes so proud of himself too, like he actually came up with something funny. whats he gonna say next..."pull my finger?"

Hey Dave, Mike pull my finger!

Sorry if you took offense to my attempt to be funny.  Interesting, Mike, that you'd document the destruction of your brother's (?) family life.  Dave, here's hoping that you didn't miss out on your kid's lives too much while you were pursuing your "dream".

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2007, 12:55:55 PM »
Hey Dave, Mike pull my finger!

Sorry if you took offense to my attempt to be funny.  Interesting, Mike, that you'd document the destruction of your brother's (?) family life.  Dave, here's hoping that you didn't miss out on your kid's lives too much while you were pursuing your "dream".
huh  ???  Dave doesn't have kids.
:D Weee

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2007, 01:37:56 PM »
huh  ???  Dave doesn't have kids.

Ahhhh!  Didn't understand that from the clip that was posted.  Thought the woman and kid were Dave's wife and child, not his sister and nephew or some other relationship. 

Don't understand the controversy then.  Dave's his own person without obligations to an immediate family.  If he wants to spend time bodybuilding and misses out on a few of his relatives' get-togethers, big deal.  If he was spending so much time in his pursuit of bodybuilding and neglected his wife and kids, then I'd say that his pursuit is an obsession that is too strong and not worth the results.

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2007, 03:03:27 PM »
Ahhhh!  Didn't understand that from the clip that was posted.  Thought the woman and kid were Dave's wife and child, not his sister and nephew or some other relationship. 

Don't understand the controversy then.  Dave's his own person without obligations to an immediate family.  If he wants to spend time bodybuilding and misses out on a few of his relatives' get-togethers, big deal.  If he was spending so much time in his pursuit of bodybuilding and neglected his wife and kids, then I'd say that his pursuit is an obsession that is too strong and not worth the results.

jeez...i really need to speak up here. this is dave pulcinella. that is my SISTER in that clip and the children are my NIECE AND NEPHEW!!!

i do not miss ALL family gatherings, just some. my sister is dramatic and was PREGNANT when this was filmed and may have been overly dramatic and emotional when interviewed. the truth is that i DO miss some family gatherings because , when i get closer to a big show, id rather not have to subject myself to my family who has been watching me bodybuild for 25 years and still doesnt "get it". they offer me the shit food theyre eating and ask why i cant have dessert! they dont get it, they dont want to get it and they make me feel as though me and my goals are not even on their radar just because i havent decided to have kids. ill deal with that most of the time, but when i et cloer to the show, i just would rather not have to feel like that about myself and what i have chosen to do.

judge me if you like, but this is how i feel

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2007, 03:42:16 PM »

jeez...i really need to speak up here. this is dave pulcinella. that is my SISTER in that clip and the children are my NIECE AND NEPHEW!!!

i do not miss ALL family gatherings, just some. my sister is dramatic and was PREGNANT when this was filmed and may have been overly dramatic and emotional when interviewed. the truth is that i DO miss some family gatherings because , when i get closer to a big show, id rather not have to subject myself to my family who has been watching me bodybuild for 25 years and still doesnt "get it". they offer me the shit food theyre eating and ask why i cant have dessert! they dont get it, they dont want to get it and they make me feel as though me and my goals are not even on their radar just because i havent decided to have kids. ill deal with that most of the time, but when i et cloer to the show, i just would rather not have to feel like that about myself and what i have chosen to do.

judge me if you like, but this is how i feel

I am agreeing with you Dave.  If your sister, nephews and nieces, and extended family don't get it, that is their problem.  You are an individual answerable to no one but yourself after you move out of your parents home. 

If you were married and did have kids (which you have made clear you don't currently), then I think that a pursuit of bodybuilding at all costs, without even considering your wife and kids, is selfish.  (My opinion only.) 

That's why Arnold didn't marry when he was a professional bodybuilder...he had to be selfish to succeed in this sport.  I really doubt that Maria would have been as accepting of Arnold's career and the hours of time he had to spend and sacrifices he had to make if she had been married to him during his Olympia years. 

As has been discussed many times on this board, bodybuilding is a niche sport that most people don't understand.  I wouldn't go to your extreme, myself, but I am not bodybuilding to compete as you are. 

Your body, your choice.

And let me officially apologize for my 'gay for pay' joke.  It was a cheap and easy shot. 

eastcoastbbman

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2007, 05:03:33 PM »
I am agreeing with you Dave.  If your sister, nephews and nieces, and extended family don't get it, that is their problem.  You are an individual answerable to no one but yourself after you move out of your parents home. 

If you were married and did have kids (which you have made clear you don't currently), then I think that a pursuit of bodybuilding at all costs, without even considering your wife and kids, is selfish.  (My opinion only.) 

That's why Arnold didn't marry when he was a professional bodybuilder...he had to be selfish to succeed in this sport.  I really doubt that Maria would have been as accepting of Arnold's career and the hours of time he had to spend and sacrifices he had to make if she had been married to him during his Olympia years. 

As has been discussed many times on this board, bodybuilding is a niche sport that most people don't understand.  I wouldn't go to your extreme, myself, but I am not bodybuilding to compete as you are. 

Your body, your choice.

And let me officially apologize for my 'gay for pay' joke.  It was a cheap and easy shot. 

no need to apologize. i dont mind the jokes. i know this is getbig. its just that the gay- for -pay thing has been done to death on here.

also, i have to agree with you about your pointing out that, if i had a wife and kids, and was compromising my role as a father and husband in persuit of bodybuilding titles, that would be tragic. such is not the case, however. i live by myself and have no dependants. im doing what i love and trying my best to balance it out with family as well. you seem to totally understand now where im coming from....

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2007, 06:01:51 AM »
Kewl, everybody made up and are on the same side.

Group hug!
:D Weee