Author Topic: are you a good training partner?  (Read 4052 times)

az

• Getbig III
are you a good training partner?
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:06:25 PM »
discuss.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: are you a good training partner?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 01:36:39 PM »
I like to think I am a good training partner.   ;D

I train with my husband all the time, and we work very well together.  Most people say that it's impossible for guys and girls to train together, but I think it depends on your training style and how you go at it in the gym.  My husband and I do quite well, but I train bb-style and hard.

I appreciate the extra motivation, the push when I need it (esp during contest prep when I don't even want to get my ass to the gym), and the SPOT that lets me go harder and heavier, which ultimately makes me stronger.

:)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 02:06:32 PM »
No.  Sometimes I yell at my partner if she makes excuses when I tell her what we are going to do.  Other times I dance around like a fool while she is straining to finish a set.  She has to close her eyes.  I guess she could get injured.  I'm a terrible training partner.  Thanks a lot az  :'(
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:36:17 PM »
No.  Sometimes I yell at my partner if she makes excuses when I tell her what we are going to do.  Other times I dance around like a fool while she is straining to finish a set.  She has to close her eyes.  I guess she could get injured.  I'm a terrible training partner.  Thanks a lot az  :'(

hahahahaha  what kind of dancing do you do?   :D

If you yell at her cuz she's making excuses cuz she doesn't want to DO the exercise, then that's the sign of a good training partner.   ;)
The dancing part, I'm not so sure about...lol

BuffGoddess

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • Failure is not an option, train hard, get big.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 12:43:49 AM »
Id like to think I'm a good training partner. I make my training buddy do as much as possible by themselves before trying to help them finish a rep or set. I've trained with Alex23, he's strong as an ox, can lift more than me for sure, I didn't have to help him at all, I gave it my best, but he outlifted me by far...He's a great spotter on squats though... ;D

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 07:15:20 AM »

hahahahaha  what kind of dancing do you do?   :D

depends on the music...it's not pretty though as I'm a terrible dancer  :-[

If you yell at her cuz she's making excuses cuz she doesn't want to DO the exercise, then that's the sign of a good training partner.   ;)

Thank you that's exactly why I yell at her.  I'll let her know you approve ;D
R

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 02:21:19 PM »
Had a training partner for a while who was more like the socializing type with all the bystanders and everyone else who's faces where slightly familiar in some way. Always busy talking with people, shaking hands like where in a bar or whatever. Sometimes when it went out of hand I just started my set. After a little while I've done my four sets when he had to do his second, oblivious about the fact that I finished. Didn't wait for him to finish if he decided to do the remaining sets of that exercise.

I don't talk much during training. My strong point is that I feel exactly how much assistance someone needs when lifting. It's not only a physical thing, but also a mental thing. Some people are more capable in pushing themselves mentally then others. Somehow I feel that.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 03:39:13 PM »
Had a training partner for a while who was more like the socializing type with all the bystanders and everyone else who's faces where slightly familiar in some way. Always busy talking with people, shaking hands like where in a bar or whatever. Sometimes when it went out of hand I just started my set. After a little while I've done my four sets when he had to do his second, oblivious about the fact that I finished. Didn't wait for him to finish if he decided to do the remaining sets of that exercise.

I don't talk much during training. My strong point is that I feel exactly how much assistance someone needs when lifting. It's not only a physical thing, but also a mental thing. Some people are more capable in pushing themselves mentally then others. Somehow I feel that.

Hahahaha  I HATE "Chatty Cathy's" when I am training.     ;D

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:55:54 PM »

I My strong point is that I feel exactly how much assistance someone needs when lifting. It's not only a physical thing, but also a mental thing. Some people are more capable in pushing themselves mentally then others. Somehow I feel that.
[/quote]

So true. My training partner and I are like that. I'm a little crazy so is she so we hang out on the edge a lot of times (going heavy but being careful) We can tell when spotting each other if the muscles are fatigued, the mind isn't right or some sort of pain is starting to set in.

I think a good training partner is on time (calls if they are running late), never complains or whines, is prepared to train (proper nutrition, etc.), knows the correct way to spot, is attentive (stop dancing around stella!!!), is somewhat knowledgeable about how the body works (if not they are at least reading up on it) is encouraging, motivating and can make you laugh (gotta still have fun-ok stella you can dance to the next station but not while she is in the middle of a set!)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 05:18:54 PM »

ok stella you can dance to the next station but not while she is in the middle of a set!)
thanks it's extra cardio you know :)
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 07:21:37 AM »
So true. My training partner and I are like that. I'm a little crazy so is she so we hang out on the edge a lot of times (going heavy but being careful) We can tell when spotting each other if the muscles are fatigued, the mind isn't right or some sort of pain is starting to set in.

I think a good training partner is on time (calls if they are running late), never complains or whines, is prepared to train (proper nutrition, etc.), knows the correct way to spot, is attentive (stop dancing around stella!!!), is somewhat knowledgeable about how the body works (if not they are at least reading up on it) is encouraging, motivating and can make you laugh (gotta still have fun-ok stella you can dance to the next station but not while she is in the middle of a set!)

Definitely.  Your training partner should have a similar perspective as you about fitness/BB and a similar training style.

I do train with my husband and wouldn't have it any other way.  We compliment each other very well in the gym and have worked well together for years.  Yet everyone is amazed that we can train together without fighting or killing each other or ruining each other's workouts.  It's quite the opposite with us.  We were actually going to write an article together on this topic a while ago for something, but never got around to it.

I don't know of many other guy/girl training partners who have long-term success.  Any other ladies train regularly with a guy?  Or guys train regularly with a girl?