Author Topic: Massage Therapy  (Read 7556 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Massage Therapy
« on: July 18, 2007, 11:20:46 PM »
At the end of New, Improved, and Beyond, Cutler's massage therapist talks about his massage techniques “lengthening the muscle” and “spreading apart individual muscle fibers” to allow greater circulation and range of motion.  Is this really beneficial or even possible via massage?  Where do you find someone who is that competent and skilled?

I guess I’ve been going to the wrong masseurs.  :-\

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Massage Therapy
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 11:55:15 PM »
Jay actually flies out to see his therapist if I remember correctly.
So people like that must be scarce.

I defnitly cant afford anything like this so I have no idea if it works  ???

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:51:22 AM »
How much does a guy like this cost?  How long is the session?

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
At the end of New, Improved, and Beyond, Cutler's massage therapist talks about his massage techniques “lengthening the muscle” and “spreading apart individual muscle fibers” to allow greater circulation and range of motion.  Is this really beneficial or even possible via massage?  Where do you find someone who is that competent and skilled?

I guess I’ve been going to the wrong masseurs.  :-\

i am not sure about "lengthening the muscle" but any skilled massage therapist that specializes in deep tissue/sports massage should be able to "spread apart individual muscle fibers"

try looking on your local craigslist under services:therapeutic.  you may have to go through several therapists until you find the right one.  i recommend those who have an "atomic elbow."  the price is usually around $65 per hour + tip

there's no way you will have your whole body done in an hour (maybe three hours), my massage therapist usually works on whatever is bothering me the most at the moment

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:51:11 PM »
$65?   Wow!  That’s cheap compared to all those “massage with release” ads I keep seeing in the paper.  ;D

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 09:15:22 AM »
Neuro Muscular Therapy. NMT's are proficient in this.

MustangAce

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:50:15 PM »
If you just walk in to one of those places is it 50/50 you get a dude cause i'd rather have a chick doing that

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 05:06:48 PM »
Best massage therapist I've had was a guy.  My ex running coach.  Only therapist who has been able to work out the deep knots in my legs.  Though must admit some of his ways were a little extreme.  I use to suffer from grion strains (3 in two years),  After my last he decide to use one of tose electro pulse stimulators on the injury to see what it would do.  Talk about uncomfortable.  In saying that I have not had another strain in almost 10 years.  Onl,y women that come close to him in deep tissue massage were in Fiji. Very strong hands.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 06:28:23 PM »
I use to suffer from grion strains (3 in two years),  After my last he decide to use one of tose electro pulse stimulators on the injury to see what it would do.  Talk about uncomfortable. 

That's a little too close to the balls.   :o

I have been going to the chiropractor for two weeks so far because of tightness in the right trapezius from top to bottom up to the ear area.  I think it may have cause tmd/tmj.  Just a guess.  Well anyway,  I am not sure what this machine is but it sends like electrical pulses to stimulate the muscle.  Sure doesn't feel as good as a massage by a person.  Am I wasting my time doing this or should I just take some morphine and head to the massage parlors?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 10:55:43 PM »
Find a massage therapy school in your area.  They will often have reduced price massages to give the students practice.  You may be able to find the techniques you like/dislike.  Also, a chiropractor is a good resource and they often have someone on staff.
:

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2007, 04:36:00 AM »
That's a little too close to the balls.   :o

I have been going to the chiropractor for two weeks so far because of tightness in the right trapezius from top to bottom up to the ear area.  I think it may have cause tmd/tmj.  Just a guess.  Well anyway,  I am not sure what this machine is but it sends like electrical pulses to stimulate the muscle.  Sure doesn't feel as good as a massage by a person.  Am I wasting my time doing this or should I just take some morphine and head to the massage parlors?

I think the machine can help in certian circumstances.  Finding a good massage theripist is a matter of trial and error.  Have yet to find one in my new city that is really good and have found even those recommended to me over the years can still fall quite short of my expectations. Have you thought about acupunture.  it is really big here for treating injuries.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 01:29:14 PM »
I think the machine can help in certian circumstances.  Finding a good massage theripist is a matter of trial and error.  Have yet to find one in my new city that is really good and have found even those recommended to me over the years can still fall quite short of my expectations. Have you thought about acupunture.  it is really big here for treating injuries.

I have wanted to just for anxiety really but My insurance doesn't cover that and the Chiro said it can get expensive but I never asked on price it though.. 

Michaeloz

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 04:39:50 PM »
I have wanted to just for anxiety really but My insurance doesn't cover that and the Chiro said it can get expensive but I never asked on price it though.. 
I've know acupunture to be cheaper than a visit to the chiro.  Have you got a china town area in your city.  Thare are normally dozens of triditional massage and acu theripists in those type of areas.  Acupressure massage could also be a good alternative to use.  Have had this several times with varying results.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »

An out-of-pocket expense with a chiro should not be any more expensive than a massage and usually a lot cheaper.  Granted, the chiro visit is only 15 minutes and doesn't feel as good as a massage, but don't rule it out just because you don't have insurance.
:

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 04:24:32 AM »
An out-of-pocket expense with a chiro should not be any more expensive than a massage and usually a lot cheaper.  Granted, the chiro visit is only 15 minutes and doesn't feel as good as a massage, but don't rule it out just because you don't have insurance.

I have insurance $15.00 co-pay for Chiro but the accupuncture is not covered. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 12:52:58 PM »
$65?   Wow!  That’s cheap compared to all those “massage with release” ads I keep seeing in the paper.  ;D

Ask for "DEEP TISSUE WORK".  Ask specificly when ya call in. If your big and thick - tell them.
You dont want some 100lb twig working your muscles.

Many cities have Massage schools that the students give discout rates, and they are usually the best job also IMO.  High motivation. Look in your Ph book for Massage schools and call.
By me Prof rates are about $65hr. School rates about $30. ANd a much better massage.  ;)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 12:55:31 PM »
Ask for "DEEP TISSUE WORK".  Ask specificly when ya call in. If your big and thick - tell them.
You dont want some 100lb twig working your muscles.

Many cities have Massage schools that the students give discout rates, and they are usually the best job also IMO.  High motivation. Look in your Ph book for Massage schools and call.
By me Prof rates are about $65hr. School rates about $30. ANd a much better massage.  ;)
they would have to be brutally strong to work on all that 152 pounds of brutal muscle mass of yours "trab". ::)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 01:12:35 PM »
they would have to be brutally strong to work on all that 152 pounds of brutal muscle mass of yours "trab". ::)

Generaly the whole class forms for anatomy lesson... 
"Its rare we get to see the muscle groups so defined like this"  ;) Thats no shiet.

Go have a few Dougnut-a-bols Fatty.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 01:14:29 PM »
Generaly the whole class forms for anatomy lesson... 
"Its rare we get to see the muscle groups so defined like this"  ;) Thats no shiet.

Go have a few Dougnut-a-bols Fatty.
well like i've told you a hundred times before, post your picture and show us all what a ripped up beast you are.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2007, 01:18:56 PM »
well like i've told you a hundred times before, post your picture and show us all what a ripped up beast you are.

Give me your address, Ill deliver  ;)

What's-a-matter?  Pages all glued shut on all your Playgirl collection?
Cant afford new ones because of your doughnut and Ho-Ho habit?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2007, 01:30:39 PM »
Give me your address, Ill deliver  ;)

What's-a-matter?  Pages all glued shut on all your Playgirl collection?
Cant afford new ones because of your doughnut and Ho-Ho habit?
hahahhahaha, more bullshit, come on sweetie, post it, let us all see this ripped moutain of huge muscle mass. :D