Author Topic: It's finally happened to me...  (Read 6386 times)

az

• Getbig III
Re: It's finally happened to me...
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »
Hope this passes quick and you feel better soon.

Puller

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 05:27:49 PM »
Update: The redness hasn't increased but it also hasn't decreased. I've gotten a little bit of flexibility back in my leg (but I'm not ready for squats, presses, or extensions yet).The pain is still there & hasn't really decreased & I've still got a slight fever. I'm not out of the woods yet.  :-\

If cellulitus isn't getting worse than it's getting better. You will probaly have the redness and some pain for at least 3 weeks but at least you caught it and it has stopped spreading. You'll be better before you know it. Enjoy the break and think of it as the calm before the storm.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 03:59:08 PM »
Update: Feeling pretty good today. I've got about 75% of my flexibility back but it still feels like I got a knife stuck in the middle of my quad. I don't have a fever at all & most of the redness is gone (leg is still warm to the touch though).

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 08:37:15 PM »
Update: Feeling pretty good today. I've got about 75% of my flexibility back but it still feels like I got a knife stuck in the middle of my quad. I don't have a fever at all & most of the redness is gone (leg is still warm to the touch though).

Sounds like you are getting better....nice!  Good when things start to improve.

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2007, 04:37:27 AM »
Best wishes from England! Chin up and stiff upper lip!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 04:40:38 AM »

Hey you guys really DO say that, LOL  ;D

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2007, 04:44:18 AM »

Thanks.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2007, 06:49:55 AM »
Hey you guys really DO say that, LOL  ;D

They all Bloody Crazy Mate.. ;D

Dont party W/ them, you'll Die..

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 06:59:30 AM »

They all Bloody Crazy Mate.. ;D

Dont party W/ them, you'll Die..

LOL

c'mon trab! DO TELL!

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2007, 11:13:45 AM »
Follow-up doctors appointment in about an hour. I'll update you guys in a couple hours.

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 01:52:29 PM »
Follow-up doctors appointment in about an hour. I'll update you guys in a couple hours.

Hopefully it's all good news, good luck. :)
Hrmmm

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »
Well guys it's finally officially happened to me. I've gotten an fucking infection. Don't get me wrong I had one possible “scare” about a year ago but I'm not certain it was a full blown infection (a really painful & swollen/red injection site). Anyway, I'm currently sitting on a huge case of cellulitis on my right quad. The sad part is it isn't even from gear. About two weeks ago I was hanging out with friends on the lake near my house (just relaxing in the sun, throwing the football around, & having a few beers). Well I walked through some weeds & such to get the football & got poked by something. I didn't think anything of it until about two days later it was red & sore. I went to the doctor & was given antibiotics & after a week it went away (I had to fight tooth & nail to get antibiotics because the guy was swearing up & down it was a bug bite). Then about five days ago it started coming back. Well, needless to say I felt like shit all weekend & finally had to call in sick at work & go back to the doctor yesterday. By this time I could barely walk &/or bend my leg & the redness was about the size of a junior football (no bullshit). My doctor took one look at it & said “it’s cellulitis”. She then drew a circle around it & gave me a massive & lengthy dose of Keflex with the instructions to come back in five days or go to the ER if it gets worse (i.e. more pain & larger then the circle). So it's safe to say there will be no training for awhile (at least a week) & I'm hoping to avoid a hospital stay for IV antibiotics.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Well, baby Ewok, it's good to know you're at least being hygienic as it pertains to AAS.

Now the bigger issue of life in general.   ;D

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 09:10:19 AM »
Well, baby Ewok, it's good to know you're at least being hygienic as it pertains to AAS.

Now the bigger issue of life in general.   ;D

DIV

That seems to be the case.  :D

On a serious note. I went to the doc yesterday - all appears to be well. The bloodwork came back fine (WBC count was high but that's normal with an infection). All I have to do is finish the antibiotics & go back if things don't keep improving. Right now I think I'm out of the woods & I plan to start training again on Monday.

Moral of the story - be safe & sterile & don't fuck around & wait if you think you might have an infection.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 01:14:11 PM »
Glad to hear you are ok Rim.

8)

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2007, 04:42:40 AM »
WOW!  What a friggin' story!  The irony here is unreal. Sort of like Steve Irwin!

Anyway, you also mentioned alot of swelling ("football size").  Could be an abcess (deeper) as well as cellulitis (superficial).  If it returns after the antibiotic is finished, or doesn't turn the corner, you should request 2 things:

1.  An ultrasound.  Wood and wood particles do NOT show up on x-ray and often will not show up on other more advanced imaging like MRI.

2.  A consultation with a surgeon.  Your standard general practitioner is not someone who should manage any sort of more advanced, recurrent or resistant infection.

Keep us posted and always feel free to pm me.

Freaker

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 06:03:28 AM »
Leg feels great today. All the pain & redness is gone. Hopefully all will remain well. Thanks for the support guys.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2007, 08:37:38 AM »
WOW!  What a friggin' story!  The irony here is unreal. Sort of like Steve Irwin!

Anyway, you also mentioned alot of swelling ("football size").  Could be an abcess (deeper) as well as cellulitis (superficial).  If it returns after the antibiotic is finished, or doesn't turn the corner, you should request 2 things:

1.  An ultrasound.  Wood and wood particles do NOT show up on x-ray and often will not show up on other more advanced imaging like MRI.

2.  A consultation with a surgeon.  Your standard general practitioner is not someone who should manage any sort of more advanced, recurrent or resistant infection.

Freaker

1. True, as far as I know.  My dog deepthroated a stick when it took a funny bounce in the park, and I took him straight to the vet.  They x-rayed and told me there was nothing stuck in there.  Year later, 3/4" chunk of wood came out covered in green slime.  It is currently embedded in a vet's upper colon.

2. Also true.  I've spoken with 3 GPs in the last 5 weeks.  They are good for "Little Tommy has the sniffles" problems and that's it as far as I can tell.  WTF kind of plant was this thing?  Were you in a farming area or with horses around?  Strange to get something so severe from a thistle Rim.  I'd look a little deeper even if a GP says you're fine.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2007, 08:47:56 AM »
2. Also true.  I've spoken with 3 GPs in the last 5 weeks.  They are good for "Little Tommy has the sniffles" problems and that's it as far as I can tell.  WTF kind of plant was this thing?  Were you in a farming area or with horses around?  Strange to get something so severe from a thistle Rim.  I'd look a little deeper even if a GP says you're fine.

I was actually swimming in a lake - couldn't tell if it was metal or wood that poked me (god only knows what it was). All I know is what stick me was sharp - it probably went 1/2 an inch into my leg. Judging by how I feel I'm guessing I'm out of the woods - all the pain is gone, I've got all my flexibility back in my leg, I can walk/run fine, there's no redness, & no more fever.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2007, 09:38:47 AM »
I was actually swimming in a lake - couldn't tell if it was metal or wood that poked me (god only knows what it was). All I know is what stick me was sharp - it probably went 1/2 an inch into my leg. Judging by how I feel I'm guessing I'm out of the woods - all the pain is gone, I've got all my flexibility back in my leg, I can walk/run fine, there's no redness, & no more fever.

My advice to you is to sue the owner of the lake. ;D

Who fckin knows.  Glad it healed up tho.  Water-bourne bacteria is probably a whole other ball-o-wax.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2007, 09:45:45 AM »
Well guys it's finally officially happened to me. I've gotten an fucking infection. Don't get me wrong I had one possible “scare” about a year ago but I'm not certain it was a full blown infection (a really painful & swollen/red injection site). Anyway, I'm currently sitting on a huge case of cellulitis on my right quad. The sad part is it isn't even from gear. About two weeks ago I was hanging out with friends on the lake near my house (just relaxing in the sun, throwing the football around, & having a few beers). Well I walked through some weeds & such to get the football & got poked by something. I didn't think anything of it until about two days later it was red & sore. I went to the doctor & was given antibiotics & after a week it went away (I had to fight tooth & nail to get antibiotics because the guy was swearing up & down it was a bug bite). Then about five days ago it started coming back. Well, needless to say I felt like shit all weekend & finally had to call in sick at work & go back to the doctor yesterday. By this time I could barely walk &/or bend my leg & the redness was about the size of a junior football (no bullshit). My doctor took one look at it & said “it’s cellulitis”. She then drew a circle around it & gave me a massive & lengthy dose of Keflex with the instructions to come back in five days or go to the ER if it gets worse (i.e. more pain & larger then the circle). So it's safe to say there will be no training for awhile (at least a week) & I'm hoping to avoid a hospital stay for IV antibiotics.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Oh fuck, man....that sucks. Take no chances and go to the hosptial if it worsens. I wish you well, Rim.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2007, 10:00:07 PM »

Freaker

....and to think you once hated the nickname I gave you.   :-X

Freaker......

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

freakfestMD

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2007, 04:01:02 AM »
....and to think you once hated the nickname I gave you.   :-X

Freaker......

DIV

LOL.  No hate here, DIV, not ever.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2007, 06:33:19 PM »
see a doc if there's any doubt.

there are no redo's with your health.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2007, 11:08:51 AM »
Well guys it's been two weeks since I noticed it getting red (about three more days of antibiotics left). I've only been able to hit the gym twice this week because of work & family nonsense. But either way I'm back to 100%, just looking forward to life slowing down so I can get back to the gym more frequently.

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2007, 07:42:37 PM »
good to here man. now go tear it up in the gym  ;D