Author Topic: Congratulations to the true 1980 Mr. Olympia winner Mike Mentzer!  (Read 84692 times)

kimo

• Getbig III
Re: Congratulations to the true 1980 Mr. Olympia winner Mike Mentzer!
« Reply #125 on: June 08, 2012, 11:13:49 AM »
vince called arnold a fat kid in 1968 when he first came to america . never after ... zane too thin .

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2012, 05:30:32 AM »
vince called arnold a fat kid in 1968 when he first came to america . never after ... zane too thin .
Zane too thin??? he was ideal. Great physique and a very intelligent Bodybuilder.

Jaime

• Getbig V
  • North Pole, fucking elves left, right and centre.
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
I'm a Zane fan, but I do realize there would be no bbing without arnold

The man created 9/10 of weiders wealth

Still, to this day, covers and articles, whole issues devoted to him, when sales slump

That doesn't make sense, there was bodybuilding before Arnold so why not without?
Trans Milkshake.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2012, 10:21:31 AM »

That doesn't make sense, there was bodybuilding before Arnold so why not without?

I don't mean he invented it

He put it on the map

Inspired millions to train

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2012, 11:20:18 AM »
I don't mean he invented it

He put it on the map

Inspired millions to train

I think it would have always happened regardless of specific people involved.
Trans Milkshake.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2012, 01:22:09 PM »
I agree.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2012, 01:28:29 PM »
Zane too thin??? he was ideal. Great physique and a very intelligent Bodybuilder.

Yeah that Arnold guy, what an idiot  ::)

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2012, 11:14:42 PM »

I disagree.....No one has come along since who was like Arnold...he was a unique individual...In controversial vocations you need a guy to put it on the map and capture the imagination of the public.....just like Freud put psychology on the map...and you can make an argument that Babe Ruth put baseball on the map

Jaime

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: June 10, 2012, 12:30:36 AM »
I disagree.....No one has come along since who was like Arnold...he was a unique individual...In controversial vocations you need a guy to put it on the map and capture the imagination of the public.....just like Freud put psychology on the map...and you can make an argument that Babe Ruth put baseball on the map

People workout because they like looking good, not becasue Arnold worked out lmao.

Before Arnold there was Reeves and Park who were known outside of bodybuilding, if Arnold wasn't around in the seventies then Weider would have pimped someone else. No they wouldn't have got so big in acting that, was a unique set of events with a lot of luck involved. But physical culture/bodybuilding would have always taken off.
Trans Milkshake.

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2012, 12:45:08 AM »
3 times I tried to read this thesis, I just can't...

Break it up, space it up, post separetely...

I read it fine, go back to school.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: June 10, 2012, 12:45:58 AM »
If one had to jump in a time machine to '75, kill arnorld, make lou mr O

Things would turn out different

In the 80s, IMO, there was a certain glamour created by the "acceptance" arnold and others, yes, created

Those guys in the 80s and early 90s were inspired by arnold. Arnold inspired his peers even. Everyone was awed by this guy from day 1

If there was no arnie, sure, joe would've found another avenue, maybe mentzer would've won 3 olympias, everyone would be doing heavy duty!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: June 10, 2012, 12:51:40 AM »
I read it fine, go back to school.

Out of 2 below options which is more legible:

"If one had to jump in a time machine to '75, kill arnorld, make lou mr O

In the 80s, IMO, there was a certain glamour created by the "acceptance" arnold and others, yes, created

Those guys in the 80s and early 90s were inspired by arnold. Arnold inspired his peers even. Everyone was awed by this guy from day 1

If there was no arnie, sure, joe would've found another avenue, maybe mentzer would've won 3 olympias, everyone would be doing heavy duty!"

Or

Things would turn out different. In the 80s, IMO, there was a certain glamour created by the "acceptance" arnold and others, yes, created. Those guys in the 80s and early 90s were inspired by arnold. Arnold inspired his peers even. Everyone was awed by this guy from day 1. If there was no arnie, sure, joe would've found another avenue, maybe mentzer would've won 3 olympias, everyone would be doing heavy duty!"

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #137 on: June 10, 2012, 01:11:58 AM »

If there was no arnie, sure, joe would've found another avenue, maybe mentzer would've won 3 olympias, everyone would be doing heavy duty!"

Or

Things would turn out different. In the 80s, IMO, there was a certain glamour created by the "acceptance" arnold and others, yes, created. Those guys in the 80s and early 90s were inspired by arnold. Arnold inspired his peers even. Everyone was awed by this guy from day 1. If there was no arnie, sure, joe would've found another avenue, maybe mentzer would've won 3 olympias, everyone would be doing heavy duty!"

As it's a short paragraph I'd say the first one. Content-wise Vince Basil's essay of a post was more interesting though  ;D

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: June 10, 2012, 01:30:13 AM »
Content-wise Vince Basil's essay of a post was more interesting though  ;D

That's why I tried to read it

Flotsam aside, he has interesting tales to tell !

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #139 on: June 10, 2012, 01:54:52 AM »
Yeah that Arnold guy, what an idiot  ::)
itīs just Guys like you who canīt see past the fucking "Oak". laughs his way to the bank thanks to dopes like you. Arnold is and was over rated. Arnold Mania...jeez get a life. think he gives a fuck about YOU? Wake up smell the coffee. ::)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #140 on: June 10, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »
If you want to look at CHARACTER as a Man and someone to look up to...Reg Park. Arnold was never in Reg Parks class.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2012, 02:10:47 AM »
If you want to look at CHARACTER as a Man and someone to look up to...Reg Park. Arnold was never in Reg Parks class.
^^
Reg was an awesome guy, I heard students from his gym said he was an amazing instructor!

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2012, 04:47:47 AM »
Park was a class act

Arnold and park probably had different views and goals in life, both accomplished a lot

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2012, 06:27:59 AM »
i remember when pumping iron came out, it seemed like everyone in my neighborhood was buying weight sets and wanted to be like arnold. it inspired me to train and learn about bodybuilding. before arnold and the pumpin iron documentory alot of the general public thought bodybuilders where just a bunch of weirdos who hung out in the gym all day and did nothing else in life besides train, after pumping iron everyone, including myself saw bodybuilding in a whole different light. arnold showed you can have fun and be a normal guy and still pump iron and have muscles. arnold was the ultimate pioneer that brought bodybuilding out of the dark
R

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2012, 07:50:51 AM »
amazing comments . i reiterate my coments that frank zane was not my ideal bodybuilder . a class act but not massive enough . reg park was arnold hero . but arnold went way ahead of park.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
Reg Park was for me the better of the two. I personally was influenced to start training by Steve reeves. Arnold was for me not as appealing..but then again i never ran with the masses like a sheep.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

Or

Dude...don't resort to giving writing lessons...I think everyone understood him just fine.....

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2012, 04:43:48 PM »
Dude...don't resort to giving writing lessons...I think everyone understood him just fine.....
^^
Good comment!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
Steve Reeves and Arnold were Top movie stars. They inspired perhaps millions of people to improve their bodies. Neither changed how the public perceived bodybuilders. Bodybuilding remained a peculiar sub-culture and is that to this day. While many guys wanted to look fabulous like Steve Reeves I doubt many wanted to look like Arnold. Women admired handsome Steve but not Arnold.

Arthur Jones made more people train in gyms because of his Nautilus machines.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2012, 07:24:10 PM »
Steve Reeves and Arnold were Top movie stars. They inspired perhaps millions of people to improve their bodies. Neither changed how the public perceived bodybuilders. Bodybuilding remained a peculiar sub-culture and is that to this day. While many guys wanted to look fabulous like Steve Reeves I doubt many wanted to look like Arnold. Women admired handsome Steve but not Arnold.

Arthur Jones made more people train in gyms because of his Nautilus machines.

Hi Vince....I have lots of respect for you because of your experience in bodybuilding and I hate it when guys on here bust your balls for no reason....but how can you say that women didn't like the way Arnold looked?..I'm sure that Arnold turned down more pussy than you and I ever got in our lives....also..even if you are right, the PERCEPTION by the public is that Arnold was and is banging tons of babes...his body, his personality and the perception that he was banging chicks left and right I think contributed to the public rushing to the gym to be like him.....and I agree with you about Steve Reeves..If I could chose anyone in history to look like in terms of looks and body, it would be Steve Reeves

Also while we are on the subject, tell us about the old days and the romantic scene?....were women falling all over themselves when they were hanging out with you guys?....were women attracted to bodybuilding?...who got the most tail>???