Author Topic: Barbells and bending issues?  (Read 864 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Barbells and bending issues?
« on: August 02, 2007, 06:03:27 AM »
What does the typical barbell normally bend at? The usual tensile strength, etc.?! Last night's little squatting effort has me asking this question. Now one gym I go to on occassion when I'm up to see family has their bars rated at 1100lbs. Last night at LA fitness, I decide to up the anti on squats to see if I've made any improvements what so ever. I unracked 550, got a double, and couldn't rerack it. The bar was bending over so much that there was no way I could put it back on the rack by myself. I had to have help. Is this typical? Or does that mean they skimped on the bars? I'm afraid to go any heavier for fear of once I get it off the rack, how the fuck am I going to get it back on? JUMP?!?!

roll_bigz

• Getbig II
Re: Barbells and bending issues?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 08:06:08 AM »
do a calf raise to get it up there... ;D

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 09:02:53 AM »
Quality bars are meant to have a flex point in them. That's called a live bar and will have a better torque to it. High grade steel Olympic bars, for example, require that extra spring. They are designed for heavy weight on them. Exercises bars, usually cold pressed steel, are more stiff (also reffed to as dead) and may tend to bend and get out of shape more quickly. The cheap "Olympic" bars from China and India (usually around $100...with plates) are poor quality material and will tend to bend or even snap under heavy loads. You can use much more weight on a exercise with a live bar as opposed to a dead exercise bar. I have used a Swedish and Russia Olympic bar, preferring the Swedish one a little better. Though most of the bars at our club are York.

I find that the best squating is with a old used bent bar, at the center (you can buy squating bars with a slight bend in the center). Seems to fit the shoulders and traps very well, as if by design. We have a couple of 9ft Olympic style bars for power rack training. Do not know who made them, but excellent spring to them for handling extra heavy weight when doing squats and DL's.

If TWT's bar was bending that much that it looks like an upside down letter "U" than it is of poor quality. With 550 there will be a normal spring and bend, that is to be expected.  But not to that extreme. May want to avoid that bar in the future, can throw your balance off and affect the knees/lower back, etc. with an injury. Might try just rolling the bar off the shoulders or jump straight ahead (very quickly) to clear the falling bar/weight.. Good Luck.
F

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 09:14:02 AM »
do a calf raise to get it up there... ;D

I'm too busy trying to walk the bitch back into the rack!  ;D GOOD IDEA THOUGH! I don't really do much thinking beyond watching my form and depth with that kinda weight on my back!  ;D

Okay the JPM, the ends of the bar came down about 3" from their original position. Would you say that's normal then?  ???

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 11:18:12 AM »
3", or probably closer to 2" in real life, does seem about normal. Might set the rack or pins a mite lower to give you more space when getting under the bar.  Giving you the advantage in height when you squat and rerack the bar again. By the tone of you post I thought the 45 plates were making groove in the gym floor or something.  Bar being  rated at 1100lbs is just the mean average. Stress point might be anywhere from 900 to 1500lbs. Keep up the good work with that impressive 550. Good Luck.
F