Author Topic: Too much tricep in bench...  (Read 3111 times)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Too much tricep in bench...
« on: August 02, 2007, 07:49:12 AM »
Dude when i bench i  know that triceps are involved. But god damn...my tris feel like i have done a a full triceps workout when im done. Im scared that i might be doing something wrong. My tris are over developed and my chest isnt, even though i can press a lot.

any ideas, current chest day is as followes

Flat bb bench press

warm up 135lbs 2*15
255lbs 1*15
275lbs 1*10-12
300lbs 1*8
320lbs 1*6

Flat dumbbell press
120lbs 4*12

Incline Dumbbell press
115lbs 4*12

Pec Dec
80lbs 4*12

They aint Coleman numbers but from where i started they are a long way..I Know my tris dominate the movement though so i need some pointers. Thanks i advance

The-Seasons

• Getbig II
  • "and then she's gonna fix me up with your sister"
Re: Too much tricep in bench...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 12:38:26 PM »
study Markus Ruhl's technique
"Gee dad, he's big"

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 12:42:24 PM »

haha...thats funny

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:59:38 PM »
good weights there big man, your chest looks fine to me sounds like you're worrying over nothing, try doing some more flyes at the end of the workout, best pure pec exercise there is.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:10:47 PM »
Have you tried widening your grip?

Also try adding decline bench instead of (or in addition to) pec deck sometimes, if you are bulking.

:)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 01:27:51 PM »
if tri's do most of the work and chest not enough do something else than benches
Z

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 01:30:20 PM »
Have you tried widening your grip?

Also try adding decline bench instead of (or in addition to) pec deck sometimes, if you are bulking.

agreed... this is a classic case of using too narrow of a grip.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 01:33:12 PM »
agreed... this is a classic case of using too narrow of a grip.
not really, the closer the grip the greater the ROM for the chest, it's just a matter of not including enough db flyes.

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2007, 01:39:16 PM »
not really, the closer the grip the greater the ROM for the chest, it's just a matter of not including enough db flyes.

the more you move your hands inward on the bar the more stress is placed on the triceps...  the wider the grip the larger portion of the lift is stressing the chest and less on the triceps.  I guess I don't understand how flys have anything to do with how tired his triceps are after benching...explain please! ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
the more you move your hands inward on the bar the more stress is placed on the triceps...  the wider the grip the larger portion of the lift is stressing the chest and less on the triceps.  I guess I don't understand how flys have anything to do with how tired his triceps are after benching...explain please! ;D
i'm not talking about moving your hands in too close but moving them in maybe a hand width will allow you to train heavier and the the ROM for the chest is greater, i'm assuming that if he's complaining that his tris are taking over that his chest development isn't where he wants it and heavy flyes are the perfect movement.

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 01:44:09 PM »
i'm not talking about moving your hands in too close but moving them in maybe a hand width will allow you to train heavier and the the ROM for the chest is greater, i'm assuming that if he's complaining that his tris are taking over that his chest development isn't where he wants it and heavy flyes are the perfect movement.

aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh.... I get you now.  this is actually reall good advice.  Using flys takes the triceps almost completely out of it and soley trains his chest...  Good stuff!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 02:38:29 PM »
Dude when i bench i  know that triceps are involved. But god damn...my tris feel like i have done a a full triceps workout when im done. Im scared that i might be doing something wrong. My tris are over developed and my chest isnt, even though i can press a lot.

any ideas, current chest day is as followes

Flat bb bench press

warm up 135lbs 2*15
255lbs 1*15
275lbs 1*10-12
300lbs 1*8
320lbs 1*6

Flat dumbbell press
120lbs 4*12

Incline Dumbbell press
115lbs 4*12

Pec Dec
80lbs 4*12

They aint Coleman numbers but from where i started they are a long way..I Know my tris dominate the movement though so i need some pointers. Thanks i advance

You need to decide if you want to be a big benchpresser or a have a big chest.

If you want to go for the big chest, I suggest exchanging flat benchpress for benchpress on a slight incline (15-20 degree bench) instead.

Do your workout something like this instead:

Slight incline:

warm up:
135lbs 2*15
225lbs 1*5
255lbs 1*2
275lbs 1*1

Working sets:
300lbs 2*10
320lbs 1*6

In other words, don't waste so much energy on the low weights.

Then,

Alternate every other workout between:

Flat dumbbell press
3*10

and

Incline Dumbbell press
3*10

Then I suggest you drop the pec dec, and do three controlled sets of incline flies, like SF suggested.

Pec Dec
80lbs 4*12
As empty as paradise

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 03:28:22 PM »
Damn thats some good advices...
I should have given more Info in the beginning.

1. I would call my grip closer than the norm, now that i think about it. I space my hands 1 thumb length away from the smooth part...

2. I dont do DB flyes nearly as much as i should...actually i never to them at all.

I was scared to do a wider grip because i never really had any real injuries except for when i squatted real heavy and broke a vert....but nothing with any extremities out of the normal soreness..so im scared about putting too much strain on my shoulders and messing something up..But fuck it. i never done it before it should work.

So ill do the following (feel free to chime in)

1. use a slightly wider grip
2. go heavier sooner in my workout
3. switch out the pec dec with some heavy dumbbell flyes

I think that should do me. Im gonna start out at some lighter shit just in order to get used to the change...thanks everyone.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 04:23:10 PM »
Damn thats some good advices...
I should have given more Info in the beginning.

1. I would call my grip closer than the norm, now that i think about it. I space my hands 1 thumb length away from the smooth part...

2. I dont do DB flyes nearly as much as i should...actually i never to them at all.

I was scared to do a wider grip because i never really had any real injuries except for when i squatted real heavy and broke a vert....but nothing with any extremities out of the normal soreness..so im scared about putting too much strain on my shoulders and messing something up..But fuck it. i never done it before it should work.

So ill do the following (feel free to chime in)

1. use a slightly wider grip
2. go heavier sooner in my workout
3. switch out the pec dec with some heavy dumbbell flyes

I think that should do me. Im gonna start out at some lighter shit just in order to get used to the change...thanks everyone.

Sounds like a plan.

But one thing with the flies: Don't get number crazy. Just focus on working the chest, getting a good action going instead of hazarding it to feed your ego. It could result in a pec tear.
As empty as paradise

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 04:28:46 PM »
Sounds like a plan.

But one thing with the flies: Don't get number crazy. Just focus on working the chest, getting a good action going instead of hazarding it to feed your ego. It could result in a pec tear.
exactly, also don't get so caught up in keeping the arms totally robotically straightt either, bend the elbows and it will allow a little deeper stretch and heavier weights.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 04:32:33 PM »
exactly, also don't get so caught up in keeping the arms totally robotically straightt either, bend the elbows and it will allow a little deeper stretch and heavier weights.

ok...you think i should do them like Arnold in pumping iron...he didnt close the dumbbells at the top of the movement.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 04:37:44 PM »

ok...you think i should do them like Arnold in pumping iron...he didnt close the dumbbells at the top of the movement.

exactly, watch his chest flex and contract in that scene, fuccking awesome, it takes awhile to work up to that ROM with the 80's or 85's like he was using but like i said flyes are the purest pec movement when you consider the function of the pec is to draw the arm in and across the torso.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 06:59:18 PM »
exactly, watch his chest flex and contract in that scene, fuccking awesome, it takes awhile to work up to that ROM with the 80's or 85's like he was using but like i said flyes are the purest pec movement when you consider the function of the pec is to draw the arm in and across the torso.

hahaha....squad the trainer of champions...i never thought of it like that like that...i used them as a shaping exercise and not a building one...you tha muthafuckin man...thanks

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 07:06:43 PM »
make sure your arms are perpindicular to your torso, the more your elbows point towards your feet the more tri's you use, also narrower grip.
gotta love life

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »

Dude's got a point. If you bench with your elbows coming down and forward at an angle instead of with your arms moving straight up and down, it'll hit the triceps more. I'm actually trying to RELEARN how to bench to use MORE tri's. I also use a super wide grip that spans the bar. If you used a grip that's just outside shoulder width or right at it, I can see where you're tri's would be huge. I can't bench like that. Nasty shoulder injury requires me to have a wide grip to keep it from becoming irritating. IF you see guys with huge chests, watch them bench and compare their techniques to yours. I'm starting to believe that you can tailor make your bench pressing technique to take out or add more of a particular muscles involvement more than previously like adding more tri's or less tri's, etc.

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 12:43:24 AM »
shoulders back elbows back and do them slow very slow.

ur weight will drop dramatically, ur chest involvement will increase double. its not about the weight with chest especially for those having trouble isolating it...u gotta get the chest workin
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 01:31:54 AM »
Good Numbers there though big_mal, I know it's not all about numbers as the guys here have stated but still well done mate 8).

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2007, 06:41:22 AM »

Dude's got a point. If you bench with your elbows coming down and forward at an angle instead of with your arms moving straight up and down, it'll hit the triceps more. I'm actually trying to RELEARN how to bench to use MORE tri's. I also use a super wide grip that spans the bar. If you used a grip that's just outside shoulder width or right at it, I can see where you're tri's would be huge. I can't bench like that. Nasty shoulder injury requires me to have a wide grip to keep it from becoming irritating. IF you see guys with huge chests, watch them bench and compare their techniques to yours. I'm starting to believe that you can tailor make your bench pressing technique to take out or add more of a particular muscles involvement more than previously like adding more tri's or less tri's, etc.

I understand what you are saying. I think dude said use markus' technique because he has no triceps to speak of...But i will try a wider grip firstly and i know ill have to drop my weight, i actually dont really care about the lbs i lift because i train alone anyway... ;D

But im really gonna try out what squad told me because it makes perfect sense. To totally hit the pec in te movement it was intended for. The chest flyes with Db's are perfect

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2007, 06:52:57 AM »
I understand what you are saying. I think dude said use markus' technique because he has no triceps to speak of...But i will try a wider grip firstly and i know ill have to drop my weight, i actually dont really care about the lbs i lift because i train alone anyway... ;D

But im really gonna try out what squad told me because it makes perfect sense. To totally hit the pec in te movement it was intended for. The chest flyes with Db's are perfect

The markus technique is the exactly how I bench press. If you go super wide, you'll hit the tri's less which might be something you're looking for.

Absolutely. The only two things that suck about dumbbells is number one, doing them safely since you workout alone, and getting them in enough weight to be worth something. Just like dumbbell shrugs, they can only do so much but after awhile you just need to move to a barbell. Which is why you mix them up. The contraction and benefits you get from dumbbells is awesome. I've never tried to kick back more than the 100's because without help it's awkward. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2007, 07:35:57 AM »
man, some good advices on this thread. I agree with sarcasm and im doing exactly what hedge propose, doing a slight incline (but im doing flyes with this, using sarcasmīs idea)

So now im doing

flat bench press (using some negatives)
 incline bench press (or dumbell)
 slight incline flyes, again using sarcasm idea. Not using completely straight arms, bending it but contracting the pecs. Its incredible how much more weight you can handle doing this. And i fell my pecs the same way

great thread!
!