Author Topic: The Dogo  (Read 6034 times)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
The Dogo
« on: August 04, 2007, 10:28:24 AM »
These are pictures of the Dogo my wife and I got last month.   These were taken the day we brought him home.  His skin is doing much better now and he's put on some weight (he was 107 lbs when I weighed him for these pictures, is probably about 116-120 now--I need to reweigh him) . 

You can see he was very thin from the picture above. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: The Dogo
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »
Why was he so skinny?
As empty as paradise

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 10:34:12 AM »
Why was he so skinny?

I think Vet rescues animals.
E

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 10:37:37 AM »
I think Vet rescues animals.

In that case: Good job soldier!
As empty as paradise

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »
Why was he so skinny?

Neglect, previous owners, bad situation.  

He was purchased by someone, who then when through a messy breakup, who gave him to someone else, who realized he was a HUGE dog, and decided they didn't want him anymore, so he was moved to another house, and so on until he finally ended up at my wifes technicians house.  We took him from that house because they already had 6 large dogs.   He was only there about 2 weeks, but in that time he'd gained several pounds.   I still don't have all ofthe information, but at some point somewhere, someone didn't feed this dog enough.  He was down below 100 lbs when he got to the place I took him from.  

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 10:40:59 AM »
In that case: Good job soldier!

LOL.  Thanks Hedge.  Everytime I say I've completely given up doing stuff like this and I'm not having any involvement with pet rescue's at all anymore, a dog like this one will come along.   I like him. He's a good dog. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 12:41:23 PM »
He has a very sweet face.  His eyes look like they can tell a story.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 04:56:56 AM »
He has a very sweet face.  His eyes look like they can tell a story.

Thats what i noticed too Knny...he has a sad way of looking out of his eyes...
Vet...you should try and find out what happened to this dog.
You never know what could trigger him. I'm not saying he's a bad dog but safety wise it is not a bad idea to check his likes and dislikes .
?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 09:39:35 AM »
You never know what could trigger him. I'm not saying he's a bad dog but safety wise it is not a bad idea to check his likes and dislikes .

Oh, I put him through the paces before I ever brought him home and I've watched things closely.  I've got two female pits in my house and at the time I had my old border collie, I don't need a dog fight and this dog is nearly the size of my wife.  I don't need something bad to happen, although the last mistake he would make would be to bite my wife....she'd put a stop to that.;)    Its a matter of me learning his personality and his learning mine and my wife's.   

As far as a personality evaluation goes, my wife and I both evaluated him independantly of each other---he's one of the most stable dogs I've ever encountered as a rescue, especially as an intact male.  Right now he's asleep at my feet, drooling on my right big toe.  He does show some sexual interest in the neighbors intact female corgi (Now that'd be a mix) but he's otherwise not overly horny, which means he doesn't have some of the stupid intact male dog personality traits.  He's pissed in the house all of 3 times and crapped twice (once in his kennel), so house training is good.   

What is weird is it almost seemed as if he didn't know how to play like a dog---the puppy is working hard to fix that problem---I swear that dog is like a hummingbird on speed right now, I have to get her on a treadmill to burn off some of her excess energy.   Now I've got to give them scheduled time outs to keep them from tearing my house apart.    We are still learning fetch.   He now realizes that he can chase the ball (I think).  The last time I threw it down the hall, he gave me a look like, "well stupid, you threw it, you go get it" and layed down.  I won't let him go near the rope or the tree the puppy uses because of his size and knees.  I don't want him to blow out a knee. 

Training has been going well, but its a bit slow, some of which is my fault because I've been busy with work.  Sit, shake, come, STOP and NO are all firmly cemented.  We are working on down.  There's some sort of a disconnect between asking him to do something and him doing it--my wife says he's a bit dumb, I think he's trying to figure out whats going to happen.   He doesn't do anything without first looking at it, which I'm sure is a product of his background. 

Overall, I like this dog.  He's a good dog. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 09:57:00 AM »

Don't attribute human emotions and qualities to animals facial expressions or looks.

As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 10:09:51 AM »
He has a very sweet face. 
I agree!  He's adorable.  Thanks for what you did Vet :)
R

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 10:15:54 AM »
Don't attribute human emotions and qualities to animals facial expressions or looks.

oh Hedge.....

it's where your sadly mistaken   ::)

I know when I look in a dogs eyes....there's some that I can read well.  Every Human, animal species eyes has a story to tell.  It's knowing what to look for.  I can look in a dog's eyes & see content....I can see fear....I can see frustration...etc..

If or when you are every challenged by a dog....you need to look at the eyes to see the severity of their actions.  If you're wrong or second guess....you'll pay for it.

Let me ask you a question Hedge (since you've had soooo many dogs & is quite the expert)....

When you approach a dog....it barks once or twice at you & goes silent....stands there still with no tail movement....no teeth are being shown.....what are you going to look at next?

Knowing the person you are...you probably think the next move to determine his actions is reaching between their legs to determine it's sex.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 11:02:56 AM »

LOL.  Hedge, you are right and you are wrong.... one of the keys with working with animals is to learn their body language and watch their eyes.   You can anticipate what they are going to do next by watching their eyes.  Humans are the only animal that will strike and not target directly with their eyes where they are going during an attack (I'm referring to martial arts/boxing with this statement).  Animals will always target.   Do they feel the same emotions we do?  I dont know.  Considering the depth of human emotion, humans have a hard enough of a time communicating what they are feeling, much less us getting an animal we can communicate with well enough to fully understand what they are thinking.   I think its very "arrogant human" to think that animals don't have some sort of emotional response to stimuli, especially with highly domesticated animals such as dogs---remember, we've bred dogs shaped by what we wanted from them.  This leads to both mental and physical characteristics.  At the same time, you are right in it being a mistake for humans to attribute excessive human emotions to animals.   A dog is still a dog to a certian degree. 

If you remmeber right, I commented on this dogs eyes when I first posted about getting him.   He's got deep eyes.   ;)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 04:08:57 PM »
Nice to see him!

Does he have a name?
   :D

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 09:45:32 PM »
oh Hedge.....

it's where your sadly mistaken   ::)

I know when I look in a dogs eyes....there's some that I can read well.  Every Human, animal species eyes has a story to tell.  It's knowing what to look for.  I can look in a dog's eyes & see content....I can see fear....I can see frustration...etc..

If or when you are every challenged by a dog....you need to look at the eyes to see the severity of their actions.  If you're wrong or second guess....you'll pay for it.

Let me ask you a question Hedge (since you've had soooo many dogs & is quite the expert)....

When you approach a dog....it barks once or twice at you & goes silent....stands there still with no tail movement....no teeth are being shown.....what are you going to look at next?

Knowing the person you are...you probably think the next move to determine his actions is reaching between their legs to determine it's sex.

Most people know nothing about posture.  Thats why I believe dog parks are truly a generally horrible place since its filled with irresponsible and uneducated owners that know nothing about how dogs interact.  Generally though you shouldn't look at any dog in the eyes when you first meet it, it just intimidates, or depending on the breed, challenges them.  99% of people don't know that or understand why its a big deal.  When I walk my dog sometimes people will ask if their dog can meet my dog or if they can pet him, to which I say no to both.  Another thing that cracks me up is when most people THINK they know what they are doing and know that a dog should smell them before they do anything, and in order for the dog to smell them, they extend their arm and give their hand...LOL.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 04:37:14 AM »

...You know nothing...

?

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 04:43:38 AM »
Most people know nothing about posture.  Thats why I believe dog parks are truly a generally horrible place since its filled with irresponsible and uneducated owners that know nothing about how dogs interact.  Generally though you shouldn't look at any dog in the eyes when you first meet it, it just intimidates, or depending on the breed, challenges them.  99% of people don't know that or understand why its a big deal.  When I walk my dog sometimes people will ask if their dog can meet my dog or if they can pet him, to which I say no to both.  Another thing that cracks me up is when most people THINK they know what they are doing and know that a dog should smell them before they do anything, and in order for the dog to smell them, they extend their arm and give their hand...LOL.

If something happens and the dogs get into a fight the biggest dog ( my dog  :-\) always gets the blame...like i said before...people should be tested and pass an exam to be able to buy a dog..IMO.
?

body88

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 06:08:13 AM »
Awesome dogo vet. Make sure to update us as he gains his weight back. Love dogos.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 06:37:52 AM »

Amen!
As empty as paradise

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2007, 09:32:02 AM »
These are pictures of the Dogo my wife and I got last month.   These were taken the day we brought him home.  His skin is doing much better now and he's put on some weight (he was 107 lbs when I weighed him for these pictures, is probably about 116-120 now--I need to reweigh him) . 

You can see he was very thin from the picture above. 

Gorgeous dog Vet. I love the Dogo I was debating on looking for a dogo istead of Chaos.. But I am glad I didn't. I just hate how this is yet another dog that is reffered to as a "Pitbull." Has anyone told you that your pit was huge???? I get a kick out of that... Well best of luck with him he's absolutley adorable. You should enter him into dog of the month??????

body88

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2007, 10:36:28 AM »
Gorgeous dog Vet. I love the Dogo I was debating on looking for a dogo istead of Chaos.. But I am glad I didn't. I just hate how this is yet another dog that is reffered to as a "Pitbull." Has anyone told you that your pit was huge???? I get a kick out of that... Well best of luck with him he's absolutley adorable. You should enter him into dog of the month??????

Happens to me all the time. I have a 92 lb american bull. I get the "that is the biggest pit I have ever seen" thing a lot. Even more so since he is brindle and white. My guy is compact so he is not very tall. I would say about 25 inches at the shoulder. But very muscular and has the big square head. Since he is a hybrid type he has a medium length muzzle instead of the short muzzle you see on Johnson type bulls (which his father is)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2007, 10:37:01 AM »

Oh yeah, its already happened two weeks ago when I took him to Petco to get a new collar.  What was messed up was I had my females with me---he was obviously not the same breed, yet several people asked.   Its going to be the same thing with this dog as it was with my boxer when he was alive.  People are going to not have a clue what dog breed they are looking at and call him a pitbull because he's got a big head  

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 04:04:45 PM »
Amen!

What are you agreeing on ...i don't get it.. ???
?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 04:44:26 PM »
What are you agreeing on ...i don't get it.. ???

Hell...he doesn't even know

I seriously doubt he'll comment on my attacking Labrador Retriever thread

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 04:22:48 AM »
Hell...he doesn't even know

I seriously doubt he'll comment on my attacking Labrador Retriever thread

It's just a case of agreeing with somebody without even knowing anything about the subject, just so you can stirup shit.....pathetic really but hey...thats getbig for ya... ::)
?