Author Topic: Yanks 5 back of Boston!!!!  (Read 19563 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Yanks 5 back of Boston!!!!
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:23:36 AM »
Hahahaha, I smell the guaranteed Boston mid-August collapse brewing. I remember reading an ESPN article back in May saying that the Yanks had a 13% chance of making the post-season. Can't help but laugh at that. It's not guaranteed but with the way they're playing and Boston's starting rotation faltering like it usually does in August, the stretch should be good.

I wonder if the Yanks won the division, would that make Boston's collapse one of the most memorable of all time? I think so!

The Yanks have been 5 back in the first week of August before and won the division. With Chamberlain getting called up and throwing fire, Hughes coming back and the rest of the rotation holding its own with that hitting, I wouldn't be surprised.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Yanks 5 back of Boston!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 01:12:42 PM »
No the 2004 ALCS was the biggest collapse in professional sports history.
L

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 01:51:40 PM »
No the 2004 ALCS was the biggest collapse in professional sports history.

Only equaled by the Pats collapse in the AFC Conference Championship game of '06.  ;D  Anyway, the sox had a better staff in 2004 and should've never been down 3-0 to begin with, but this argument has been rehashed enough.

As I said in the other thread, it's not time for Yankee fans to get cocky.
Y

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 01:59:42 PM »
Hahahaha, I smell the guaranteed Boston mid-August collapse brewing.

ain't gonna happen !

>:(

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 02:04:27 PM »
Only equaled by the Pats collapse in the AFC Conference Championship game of '06.  ;D  Anyway, the sox had a better staff in 2004 and should've never been down 3-0 to begin with, but this argument has been rehashed enough.

No way..from 3 games up to a 4 game sweep. Nobody will remember the Pats loss as anything other then a loss. To me...however, it was almost the worst thing that could happen. The worst happened two weeks later when the Dolts won the SB.
L

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »

No way..from 3 games up to a 4 game sweep. Nobody will remember the Pats loss as anything other then a loss. To me...however, it was almost the worst thing that could happen. The worst happened two weeks later when the Dolts won the SB.

You don't remember the Pats loss as anything but a loss because you are a Pats fan, and Pats fans define themselves by winning championships, not devastating losses.

It is the same with being a Yankees fan.  Boston fans soooooo wanted 2004 to hurt much more than it did.  It's because they were a fanbase that had defined itself by devasting losses up until that time, and the tables finally flipped.   Most Yankee fans I know did not feel that way.  Yes, it truly sucked to be up 3-0 and lose, but it didn't stick as long as sox fans wanted it to.  To be perfectly honest, 2001 was much, much, worse, since the WS was there for the taking.  In '04, the Yanks had a very flawed team, and the WS was no guarantee after that.

The more a team reaches the playoffs, the more chances there are to lose as well.  It comes with the territory.
Y

body88

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 03:41:12 PM »

The pats lost that game by less then a touchdown. The Yankees choked three consecutive times in a row. It is not even close!!!! Btw nice to see all the Yankee fans talking trash (not you grape ape). You are very fair and never drink the kool aid. If the yanks fall back out of contention will guys like b fury dissapear again? Fury was the one talking shit about how awesome the Yankees pitching was going to be pre season.Lets see if the Yankees can dominate teams better then the Royals. Since they start to play real teams soon we can see how things shake out. Not to say putting up 20 on the Royals is not impressive, but its the royals.

I can only hope yankees fans get cocky and then get bounced. None of this is a shock to me , I knew it would be close at the end of the year. I would not count out the Yankees if Arod lost an arm. To much talent.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 04:09:48 PM »
B Fury is a Yankees fan?

I'm soooooo shocked. ::)

b.c.

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
Abreu, Matsui, and Cano are just playing insane right now.  If they keep that level up Jeter, Arod and Posada will get better looks in the stretch run.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »
I go to Yonkers sometimes and I always take the George Washinton to the Bronx and right by the stadium.

I head out to NJ with my bro and I'm in the meadowlands and near Giants stadium.

Come back to home in Queens and I go right by Shea.  ;D

If not Boston, Yanks are like .5 back of the wild card leader. A-Rod is due to bust out of his little slump anytime and Clemens just had a great showing.  ;D And to think they were 10 games out when Jeter said they'd catch the Sox.. Show you the confidence they're rolling with.

Matsui is on a tear considering he was injured earlier in the season.. he's got 22 homers.  ;D

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 06:21:24 PM »
ya the yankees have too much talent to not win. theyre finally playing like they should have been all year.

but theyre getting their asses handed to them tonight by the Blue Jays  ;D   14-2 after the 6th

body88

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 06:30:11 PM »
ya the yankees have too much talent to not win. theyre finally playing like they should have been all year.

but theyre getting their asses handed to them tonight by the Blue Jays  ;D   14-2 after the 6th

But they beat the royals by 20 runs  ;)

blinky

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 06:35:13 PM »
But they beat the royals by 20 runs  ;)

right but im a blue jays fan so this is more fun for me  ;D

body88

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 07:39:32 PM »

I was being sarcastic since the yanks fans are pounding there chest over bashing the royals. All in good fun of course.

Another AAAAAAAAAA bomb for AAAA RODDDDD  ;) ;) ::) :)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »
hahahah, I only made this thread to see Body's response. It was a lot more civil than I thought. Although he did manage to slip in his typical cheap shot. You're right it's only Kansas City. We could be dropping games to Tampa Bay and Baltimore with our best pitchers on the mound like you guys instead, right?

It's going to be a good stretch. I won't be disappearing but I'll be sure to twist the story around in my favor like I usually do should they collapse. Going to be fun to see the next 2 months.

Poor soul.

body88

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 04:44:44 AM »
hahahah, I only made this thread to see Body's response. It was a lot more civil than I thought. Although he did manage to slip in his typical cheap shot. You're right it's only Kansas City. We could be dropping games to Tampa Bay and Baltimore with our best pitchers on the mound like you guys instead, right?

It's going to be a good stretch. I won't be disappearing but I'll be sure to twist the story around in my favor like I usually do should they collapse. Going to be fun to see the next 2 months.

Poor soul.

The sox won both those series. They took 2 games out of 3. If dropping games = 2 wins out of three I will take that any day of the week. Equals what 108 wins? If you have been reading my posts this season I have been saying how people should not count the Yankees out. Effin has been saying the same thing. The sox split the series they had with the angels. Papi is out for a few games, Schill just got back.  The sox are in a funk. They have been playing .500 ball for awhile now.  While the yankees are beating up on sub 500 teams. The sox will get hot again. The Yankees have some legit teams coming up, so they might cool off. The yanks are hot right now, but until it lasts and they stay hot vs good teams I would not declare them out of the woods. The lead is at 6 games btw.

I hope it goes down to 1 or 2 games. I want it to be a race. I drink the koolaid to start conversations sometimes. I don't think I am that much of a yahoo tho. Not trying to take shots at the Yankees. I honestly thought putting 20 runs on the board was impressive. All those hr's to. I want Arod to play for Boston some day. But it is the royals, so until the Yankees stay hot against playoff caliber teams people are going to think they are suspect. To much talent on that team for them to flounder forever. Question is can they stay hot vs good teams in the postseason if they make it.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2007, 10:48:40 AM »
Well, well, well. The big, bad Cleveland Indians are getting the absolute shit kicked out of them in this series. Indians are #5 in the power rankings to boot. Very interesting!!!!!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 03:22:10 PM »
A-Rod hit two bombs yesterday.. Guess he's out of his milestone slump.  8)

They might not catch Boston, but they'll win the wild card for sure.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2007, 03:31:54 PM »
A-Rod hit two bombs yesterday.. Guess he's out of his milestone slump.  8)

They might not catch Boston, but they'll win the wild card for sure.

Boston just lost again today, making that 2 of 3 they dropped to the lowly Baltimore Orioles and moving the Yanks 4 back. The Yanks have been 5 back at this point in August before and still won the division. This is right when Boston's usual mid-August collapse goes into full swing. I suspect they'll probably drop 10 of the next 14.

The best part is big bad Eric Gagne has done absolutely nothing since the Sox got him. He's given up 7 runs in 4 innings pitched. Great trade! 

Body88 should stop talking shit about the Yanks beating up on bad teams when Boston can't even take 2 of 3 from a team as bad as the Orioles.

Let's keep in mind that if the Yanks weren't using 75,000 different pitchers for the first two months of the season that they'd probably be 10 up on Boston. The Sox have done absolutely nothing in the last 2 months.  :D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2007, 04:21:31 PM »

Let's keep in mind that if the Yanks weren't using 75,000 different pitchers for the first two months of the season that they'd probably be 10 up on Boston. The Sox have done absolutely nothing in the last 2 months.  :D

This is true, but it also regression to the mean - players like Cano, Matsui, and Abreu were performing well under their career averages at the beginning of the year.   The Yankees had terrible injuries in the beginning of the year as well, throwing out a roation that included Karstens, Rasner, and Igawa coupled with Pettitte and Mussina, with Mussina off to a horrible start. 

People are quick to point to the easy part of the schedule, but leading up to it, the Yankees took 3 of 4 from Minny and 2 of 3 from LA.   They have an incredibly potent lineup, a solid pitching staff 1-5, a much improved bullpen, and a now great bench.

Even with all that, they could easily miss the playoffs because of the horrible start.   The WC could be maddening this year, with a ton of teams in it until the last week.
Y

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »
This is true, but it also regression to the mean - players like Cano, Matsui, and Abreu were performing well under their career averages at the beginning of the year.   The Yankees had terrible injuries in the beginning of the year as well, throwing out a roation that included Karstens, Rasner, and Igawa coupled with Pettitte and Mussina, with Mussina off to a horrible start. 

People are quick to point to the easy part of the schedule, but leading up to it, the Yankees took 3 of 4 from Minny and 2 of 3 from LA.   They have an incredibly potent lineup, a solid pitching staff 1-5, a much improved bullpen, and a now great bench.

Even with all that, they could easily miss the playoffs because of the horrible start.   The WC could be maddening this year, with a ton of teams in it until the last week.

Oh, nothing's solid yet. But to have a 13% chance of making the post-season in June to being right in the thick of things right now while having one of the best runs in a long time is exciting stuff. Just goes to show that money really does matter in baseball. You don't see teams with $70 million payrolls doing this. Once they're out, they're usually out for good. Except for the A's and their farm system of course.

And in reality, minus a couple slumps here or there in the beginning, the Yanks were still in the top 5 for most hitting categories. I still remember that they were supposed to be 5-10 or so games over .500 around June because of their run differential.

b.c.

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 01:41:45 PM »
The yanks offense after the all star break has been nothing short of spectcular.  Even the gambino comes back and jacks two out over the weekend....  This is awesome to watch.  Finally having a pitching rotation with Rivera closing out games as per usual.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 03:03:49 PM »
The yanks offense after the all star break has been nothing short of spectcular.  Even the gambino comes back and jacks two out over the weekend....  This is awesome to watch.  Finally having a pitching rotation with Rivera closing out games as per usual.

Cano is 47 for his last 100. That is freaking amazing!
The House that Ruth built

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 03:09:51 PM »
i think francona really needs to stick with okajima as the main set up man because right now the gagne situation is not looking good.  maybe its going to take gagne more time to settle into his new role but the redsox right now have the best 8th, 9th, with okajima and paplebon. why mess around with what has been working so well all year?

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2007, 05:14:38 PM »
i think francona really needs to stick with okajima as the main set up man because right now the gagne situation is not looking good.  maybe its going to take gagne more time to settle into his new role but the redsox right now have the best 8th, 9th, with okajima and paplebon. why mess around with what has been working so well all year?

Okajima hasn't be too hot lately, either. That's the problem. The mid August collapse is coming into its own nicely.