Author Topic: Michael Vick Appreciation thread  (Read 3034 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Michael Vick Appreciation thread
« on: August 14, 2007, 11:26:18 AM »
Hi everyone!  Just wanted to drop in on the pet board and say hello. 

Now that I have your attention, I have a cat who suddenly wants to be outside 24/7.  He is 3 year old, I think.  he is fixed.  After being scared of the outside for years, he suddenly tries to run outside every chance he gets.  Aside from just keeping the door shut, is there any way to make him want to be outside a little less?  last time he got out, he went into the storm drain under our driveway for 2 hours. I got bit up by ants as I used three taped-together broomsticks to chase him out.  not my finest hour.  Thanks in advance!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Michael Vick Appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 11:45:54 AM »
He wants to enjoy the outdoors. 

You'd be "the man" strolling him around  ;D
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 11:54:14 AM »
That cat thing is pretty cool!!

Tad's stroller is on backorder.  Supposedly til 8/15. 

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »

Now that I have your attention, I have a cat who suddenly wants to be outside 24/7.  He is 3 year old, I think.  he is fixed.  After being scared of the outside for years, he suddenly tries to run outside every chance he gets.  Aside from just keeping the door shut, is there any way to make him want to be outside a little less?  last time he got out, he went into the storm drain under our driveway for 2 hours. I got bit up by ants as I used three taped-together broomsticks to chase him out.  not my finest hour.  Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure pokin at your cat with a broomstick is'nt the way to bond with him,cat's are cat that's why we love em,if ya want something to train get a dog

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 01:14:16 PM »

Whats changed in the house?  It may be something really subtle that you havent' paid a bit of attention to but your cat thinks its really significant---changes in litter, changes in food, changes in furniture, changes in an owners schedule, new neighbors, etc. 

Consider trying Feliway---the feline facial pheromones.  Use the plug in diffusers at a rate of 1 diffuser per 300-400 square foot of house per floor.  It'll probably help.   

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:23:58 PM »

maybe its the first stages of feline schizophrenia 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 04:11:26 AM »
maybe its the first stages of feline schizophrenia 

8)

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 05:05:49 AM »

Why don't you buy a companion for your cat.
Most cats get bored and try to escape tothe outdoors just to meet another cat.
Buy a kitten and the focus will be on the new cat in the house.
Problem solved...
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 05:44:53 AM »
Why don't you buy a companion for your cat.
Most cats get bored and try to escape tothe outdoors just to meet another cat.
Buy a kitten and the focus will be on the new cat in the house.
Problem solved...

I think he has 2 cats, or thought he used too?   

Consider trying Feliway---the feline facial pheromones.  Use the plug in diffusers at a rate of 1 diffuser per 300-400 square foot of house per floor.  It'll probably help.   

A search showed that they make a dog one?   Experience with that Vet? 

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/behavior/a/dogbehaviorprob.htm

STellla - I wonder if that would help during thunderstorms? 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2007, 05:50:35 AM »
Hey 240, your local Petsmart might carry the phermones, I would call around if you decide to try it.  Seems pretty inexpensive.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/search/search_results.jsp?Ntt=pheromones&In=All&previousText=pheromones&N=2&Ne=2&cm_ven=goo&cm_cat=adwords&cm_pla=unknown&cm_ite=home

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 10:18:14 AM »

I think he has 2 cats, or thought he used too?   

A search showed that they make a dog one?   Experience with that Vet? 

http://vetmedicine.about.com/cs/behavior/a/dogbehaviorprob.htm

STellla - I wonder if that would help during thunderstorms? 

yeah, I've used them both.  The dog one may help during a thunderstorm, but it may not be enough.  I really think most dogs with storm phobias have a learned behavior.  You have to get past that learned/reinforced behavior first.

I've used the cat one on too many to count domestic cats and a few exotic species (a caracal and servals) with urination issues.  It works great.  it also helps stop destructive behaviors and seems to stop "freakiness" in cats that seem scared all the time.  The DAP is good for seperation anxiety issues in some dogs---its not as effective in my opinion as the cat version is considering relative numbers, but thats a subjective assessment.