Author Topic: Walking Lunges - the new big thing  (Read 5820 times)

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Walking Lunges - the new big thing
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2007, 01:11:42 AM »
lunges are a complete waste of time and put asymmetric strain on your knees and hips and due to all the balance work end up putting very little stress on any musclegroups.

much better to use that energy squeezing out reps on a basic exercise then doing cardio or going for a run/ride if you must.

if one must do something like this, then one legged leg press would be a much better option as it offers greater stability through constant engagement of the moving complex and is much safer to your knees and more importantly your back.

once again the morons see someone doing them and monkey see monkey do...totally disregarding what is actually happening.

yeah they are hard because they are different to how you usually train and require a whole bunch of non contributory work in balance, coordination and concentration.

a complete waste of time...maybe not in the barbell heydays when exercise variety was sought after...i.e. nothing but squats..

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2007, 04:23:02 AM »
lunges are a complete waste of time and put asymmetric strain on your knees and hips and due to all the balance work end up putting very little stress on any musclegroups.

much better to use that energy squeezing out reps on a basic exercise then doing cardio or going for a run/ride if you must.

if one must do something like this, then one legged leg press would be a much better option as it offers greater stability through constant engagement of the moving complex and is much safer to your knees and more importantly your back.

once again the morons see someone doing them and monkey see monkey do...totally disregarding what is actually happening.

yeah they are hard because they are different to how you usually train and require a whole bunch of non contributory work in balance, coordination and concentration.

a complete waste of time...maybe not in the barbell heydays when exercise variety was sought after...i.e. nothing but squats..

hahahhaha lets have a peek at this 'monster'  ::)

...hey everybody look its tom 'disco stu' platz !!!!

I bet you must have the biggest legs in the world !!!
L

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2007, 05:41:29 AM »
I have a day I do sprints, so I do bodyweight ones on that day for 30-40 yds.  They feel good.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2007, 06:01:10 AM »

agreed
!

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2007, 06:23:50 AM »

your a fucking moron

the requirement of balance also helps build muscle, and if you do walking lunges you should have no stress at all on the knees because
your body should be travelling straight down towards the floor and not forward to put stress on the knees

plus if you actually have balance, you do not use much energy at all for balance, it is all used for contraction and stretch of the muscle plus
very taxing for the cardiovascular system

try again slappy ;D

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2007, 06:43:44 AM »
In todays cookie cutter gyms there is completly no room for walking lunges. Most places won't let you do it in the parking lot and I don't want to be "that guy" dragging a barbell and a couple of plates to the local school or park. To me somethings are to much trouble.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2007, 02:08:18 PM »
your a fucking moron

the requirement of balance also helps build muscle, and if you do walking lunges you should have no stress at all on the knees because
your body should be travelling straight down towards the floor and not forward to put stress on the knees

plus if you actually have balance, you do not use much energy at all for balance, it is all used for contraction and stretch of the muscle plus
very taxing for the cardiovascular system

try again slappy ;D

now you are one of these people that make my life miserable...i.e. blissfully ignorant to anything and you dont even realise how average you are.

i wont bother answering your email point by point to give you an example of what i mean but i will comment on your stupid sentence about strain on the knees...obviously you dont have a clue.

the simply fact that the legs are not in the centre of your body means that each leg encounters a vertical and a horizontal stress when you stand on it...dumb ass.

the horizontal stress component is relatively minor and our knees and ligaments can cope with it generally....but you add weight and then difficult movements like lunges and you have danger zone.

the centre of mass in a lunge is NEVER directly over the leg...EVER... EVER .. EVER.

its also never directly acting straight down the spine. (you may not understand this but this is due to the fact that the reactional force (i.e. through the leg from the ground) is from one side.

I'd suggest that lunges are not only your chiropractors nightmare (or best friend perhaps?..lol), but also the fastest way to a knee reconstruction other than football.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2007, 02:11:39 PM »

hahahhaha lets have a peek at this 'monster'  ::)

...hey everybody look its tom 'disco stu' platz !!!!

I bet you must have the biggest legs in the world !!!

err, yeah..we all know that the biggest bodybuilders know the exact way to train and how big you are directly relates to your knowledge of training...

please add yourself to the ever lengthening list of getbig mental midgets. oh, hangon, you are already in that list...carry on.

The Coach

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2007, 02:13:45 PM »
For conditioning, walking lunges are great, for development (posterior chain) there are MUCH better unilateral movements. I include unilateral leg movements in all of my leg training.

johnnytosh

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2007, 05:22:29 AM »

I have to agree.  Too much stress on the patellar tendon. Other exercises work better.

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2007, 06:36:53 AM »
Seems a lot of pros are doing these.

And wow...

such a "small" exercise, yet even with 135 lbs. it felt like I was going to die.

Give them a try. They are much harder than they look.

Welcome to bodybuilding, it's nothing new.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2007, 06:42:50 AM »
I my lunges on the treadmill, at full incline going 20mph, so there!   ;D

yeah i do them with 135 on my back...uphill...in the sand...with ankle weights

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2007, 07:07:36 AM »
err, yeah..we all know that the biggest bodybuilders know the exact way to train and how big you are directly relates to your knowledge of training...

please add yourself to the ever lengthening list of getbig mental midgets. oh, hangon, you are already in that list...carry on.
brutal admittance of having a nice veiw from the bleachers.... so what your saying is that you know more about BB cause your small ??
L

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2007, 07:12:20 AM »
For conditioning, walking lunges are great, for development (posterior chain) there are MUCH better unilateral movements. I include unilateral leg movements in all of my leg training.

Some examples Joe? 

The Coach

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2007, 09:12:21 AM »
Some examples Joe? 

Bulgarian Split with DB or BB (I prefer BB)

Regular Split squat with DB or BB (again, I prefer BB)

Romanian SLDL with DB or BB (on this one I prefer DB's)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2007, 09:20:10 AM »
Bugarian Split with DB or BB (I prefer BB)

Regular Split squat with DB or BB (again, I prefer BB)

Romanian SLDL with DB or BB (on this one I prefer DB's)

Flower - these are various forms of "torture lunges."   :D

:)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2007, 09:33:11 AM »
Flower - these are various forms of "torture lunges."   :D

I think they all should be banned then!!     ;D

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 01:44:53 PM »
brutal admittance of having a nice veiw from the bleachers.... so what your saying is that you know more about BB cause your small ??

err.yeah...nice conclusion...actually i come here because i like BB and spent years doing it and am not small by any means...but i know of alot of peeps that are small and know their stuff...size as nothing to do with understanding.

maybe if i wrote this in finger painting you'd comprehend?

thanks to the others who chimed in....conditioning exercise...probably in that its hard work, but i'd be careful to not use too much weight..or any at all in fact.