Author Topic: What year did BODYBUILDING die ???  (Read 9001 times)

lonewolf

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: What year did BODYBUILDING die ???
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2007, 02:46:32 PM »
Bodybuilding really took a downturn in the early 90s. This was the era when judges allowed pure size to overshadow aesthetics , proportion , and balance, combined with muscular development to rule. it's also why womens bodybuilding died even faster.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2007, 02:51:44 PM »
Sorry dude, but BBing is about size, symmetry and conditioning and having little to no flaws, Yates was huge and got hard as hell but toward the last years of his career, he got caught up on being bigger and bigger and lost his sharpness and almost any straiation he might have had before, Shawn had all of that and there are pics floating of him completly owning Yates........dude, get off the size thing, thats not all of what BBing should be about!

you are wasting your breath.

ND has no fucking clue.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Heywood

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2007, 02:54:51 PM »

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2007, 02:55:44 PM »
The irony of you telling me to get off the size thing , I ( especially me ) know its not all about size but you're wrong Yates typically stayed between 257-265 pounds his Olympia career whole career , so he roughly stayed around the same weight give or take 10 pounds  , with the exception of 1992 he was 242 pounds and very depleted and conditioning was never an issue for Dorian not even at his biggest which was 1997 he was still bone dry and rock hard his problems weren't to much size and conditioning it was torn muscles and he had the same striations in 91 and in 97

I know its not about size and it shouldn't be about size but I'm only commenting on what is not what should be , and you look at history the last Mr Olympia around 200 pounds was Samir Bannout in 1983 , the trend was going up starting with Haney , then Yates and Ronnie . Shawn was 5'7" and weighed 205 pounds he was competing in the time of the giants in 1994 which some harp on as Shawn's Olympia it wasn't even close , Dorian was 262 pounds Vs Shawn's 205 pounds thats almost a 60 pound muscle advantage he wasn't compensating for that

The same with Lee Labrada Vs Haney it wasn't a small mans game anymore , Shawn would have flourished in the 1970s very early 1980s he was born for the wrong era , 1994 Mr Olympia wasn't a contest on paper or off Shawn Ray was very lucky to place second place , he only beat Levrone by virtue of a better posing routine not by virtue of his physique because after the pre-judging Shawn was trailing Kevin for second place ( a distant second I might add ) 1994 was a close contest after all , close between second and third , Dorian was clearly ahead of the two , and this is a quote from Shawn post-contest

Flex magazine January 1995 Shawn Ray

Dorian was a bigger version of what he's been. I'm not a fan in the sense that his physique is something I aspire to attain. Dorian is in his own class and in his own little world. For that reason, there's nobody they can compare like-to-like with Dorian. They can only bring forward a different package.

( 1994 Mr Olympia ) Tonight I feel that I got what I deserved. With a beaming smile , Shawn concluded: " This is the first time in three years I haven't ' retired ' the night of the show and got drunk. "

Ronnie is better than Dorian.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »
NarcissisticDeity is better than Hulkster.

I fixed that for you  :D

Matt4Muscle

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2007, 03:19:57 PM »
The year Alexx lost Mr. GetBig

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2007, 03:23:49 PM »
There are many instances of the down-ward spiral. One is the Dorian winning in 1994. Another is when Flex didn't win in 1998, if had been on his P's and Q's and won, we wouldn't be seeing so many bloated guts and low quality physiques.

Another is if you look at the NPC's very few good bodybuilders are "earning" their cards. They have "give" to mediocre bodybuilders like Kamali, Maddron, Cook, even Garrett Downing, those who don't deserve their pro cards at all. They can get their pro cards, but Lionel Brown can't? :-\ Melvin Anthony was one of the last good ones to come out of the late 90's. They need more like him, Richard Jones, Phil Heath, these are physiques that need to get their pro cards.

And then you have people who hype up the mediocre bodybuilders like Dave Pulcinella, instead of given the truly gifted, but little known bodybuilders like Auguste, or others, the esposure. Give Wolfe hype when he needs it, or Ronnie Rockel. The trend for fugly guts can be reversed...

suckmymuscle

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2007, 03:25:35 PM »
  Dorian was at his best at the 1995 Mr.Olympia, torn biceps and all! He had the same sick hardness that he had in 1993, but with alot more fullness. Compare their posing routines 1993 vs 1995, and you'll see that Dorian's muscles are a lot fuller and rounder in 1995. 1993 he was super-dry, but his muscles looked a little flat in my opinion. 1992 he was way depleted, and 1994 he was obviously holding a little bit of water. 1997 he was as dry as ever, but his gut was distended and he had no left arm.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

OneBigMan

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2007, 07:49:07 PM »
If bodybuilding is dead as a result of all you disgruntled fans, then why do so many people still attend the Mr.Olympia every year.

Shawn Ray

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • Digital Muscle Media
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2007, 10:22:28 AM »
Bodybuilding died in 1994

Noooobody knows................the troubles I've seen :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

crc69

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2007, 10:35:50 AM »
1993. Dorian took bodybuilding as far as it could go and looked as good as a human male is ever going to look - but from 94 it, [and he], became a disgusting, bloated, insulin addled joke.

Right. 
Yates first place in MR O. 94 was a big joke (Ray was 10 times better) and Mr. O lost all its credibility

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2007, 10:39:56 AM »
1994 was a low point for bodybuilding.  Dorian was missing a biceps, his conditioning was off and the judges still gave him the win.

2006 was another low point. Cutler simply doesn't have a Mr. Olympia caliber physique. His win was a huge step backwards.

OneBigMan

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2007, 11:06:19 AM »
1994 was a low point for bodybuilding.  Dorian was missing a biceps, his conditioning was off and the judges still gave him the win.

That set an unfortunate precedent.

2006 was another low point. Cutler simply doesn't have a Mr. Olympia caliber physique. His win was a huge step backwards.

That's kinda deep because I thought people had enough of believing that Ronnie Coleman winning the Olympia every year was predetermined by both Weider brothers or his name recognition as a retired police officer.

I thought that not having a Mr.Olympia type of physique would apply to Shawn or Flex, not Jay Cutler.

genrommel74

• Getbig III
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2007, 03:56:17 PM »
The sport is still here, so i say that it has not died. It just isnt growing, which is unfortunate. but i think that it is society in general, guys dont want to get big anymore they just want to be cut, they is why bodybuilding isnt growing. it makes no difference if phil or ronnie wins, the general public find them both gross and too big. The public wants brad pitt and ryan reynolds, which is not bodybuilding.

Master Blaster

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2007, 04:05:53 PM »

From Bodybuilding.com  ;D

"For many Shawn's victory was in the bag but it was Dorian that took the Sandow. Even after Shawn Ray's serious disappointment and subsequent months of depression in the immediate aftermath of the loss, they became close friends after Dorian's retirement after the '97 Olympia, and have remained so since; further testament to the kind of man Dorian Yates is."

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2007, 04:07:04 PM »

Dorian was a bigger version of what he's been. I'm not a fan in the sense that his physique is something I aspire to attain. Dorian is in his own class and in his own little world. For that reason, there's nobody they can compare like-to-like with Dorian. They can only bring forward a different package.

( 1994 Mr Olympia ) Tonight I feel that I got what I deserved. With a beaming smile , Shawn concluded: " This is the first time in three years I haven't ' retired ' the night of the show and got drunk. "

Sure it did  ::)

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »

discuss
bodybuilding was never really alive

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2007, 04:35:14 PM »
REALITY CHECK : Shawn/Sgtd is now 5-6 Fat and Bald

Hope this helps.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »
REALITY CHECK : Shawn/Sgtd is now 5-6 Fat and Bald

Hope this helps.

I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn. I am not Shawn.

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2007, 06:19:56 PM »

Dorian looks like shit. You really think Shawn was telling the truth. You believe everything you read in flex dontya? ::) Shawn should have been first. Only Dorian thought he should have won. ND why can't you understand that Dorian looks like trash.? Why? ???

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2007, 06:20:45 PM »

discuss

500 BC, when the Greek invented G4P

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2007, 06:22:18 PM »
um, I didn't know I was posting on a board about a dead subject.  thanks for the update.
X

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2007, 06:23:49 PM »
um, I didn't know I was posting on a board about a dead subject.  thanks for the update.

Medford lets see your delicious breast.

The Coach

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2007, 06:25:11 PM »

See,Shawn agrees with me

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2007, 06:50:03 PM »
Dorian looks like shit. You really think Shawn was telling the truth. You believe everything you read in flex dontya? ::) Shawn should have been first. Only Dorian thought he should have won. ND why can't you understand that Dorian looks like trash.? Why? ???

From an aesthetics standpoint Yates did look like ' shit ' he looked like ' shit ' compared to 1993 however he was still the clear winner no questions about it and FYI Shawn was a VERY distant second , he wasn't close on paper or in reality , truth be told he was lucky to place ahead Levrone and that did NOT bode well with the fans in Atlanta , and another fact you might want to nibble on  Shawn was actually trailing Kevin 4 points after the prejudging and really only beat Levrone by virtue of a better posing routine , so spare me the Shawn should have won routine he was 5'7" and 205 pounds thats last Mr Olympia who weighed close to 200 pounds was Samir Bannout in 1983 , he was born in the wrong era he would have flourished in the 1970s early 1980s , but not matter how aesthetically pleasing Shawn's physique was that was NOT going to compensate for a 60 pound muscle deficit and no back width