Author Topic: Chest Training  (Read 45049 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Chest Training
« on: August 20, 2007, 11:49:30 AM »
Since I am going to try to get my ass back in the gym today and start with a big chest day, I figured I would start a chest training thread.  (Back training thread coming soon!)

Training chest is interesting for women, since most women do not bench press, and ones with implants are not supposed to.  I actually LOVE to bench press big weight and I love to train chest. 
I think that alot of women do not bench press because they have never tried it and are generally intimidated by the exercise.  I think they also do not realize how much weight they could actually press.  I can remember being in the gym several years ago (like prolly 6 or 7 years ago now), before I understood how heavy I can/should be lifting, and I was bench pressing the bar by itself (45 pounds lol).  This guy came over to me and said, "You do realize that you can press WAY more weight than that, don't you?"  I had no idea, as I had no understanding at that time how to lift big weight.  He added 25 pounds to each side of the bar and spotted me...I was like WOW, that's pretty cool!  ;D

I don't have implants (yet), but I am nervous about what would happen to my chest workouts if I do ever get them.  Anyway, that's definitely not what this thread is about...it's about training chest!  (although if there are any fbbs out there who do have implants, I would love to hear what your chest workout looks like!)

I also love to do bench press competitions during my off-season (October - February), but I do not train like a power lifter, and I actually really don't know how to.  I train like a BB even during the off-season when I am prepping for a bench press competition.
So what I would REALLY like is some suggestions as to how I can modify my chest workout to train more for powerlifting.  I need to learn the proper form, etc., and I need to train to maximize my numbers on the bench, and I really don't know how to do that in terms of modifying and/or focusing my training.
How do powerlifters train for big numbers?  How often should I be trying to max out?  etc.

My bench has suffered from my last contest prep, and I am still struggling to get it back up to last year's off-season numbers.  I also have ONLY benched RAW - without a bench shirt.  I want to get a bench shirt this year and train with it, but I do not know how to start training with one. 

For the most part, my chest workouts are pretty simple.  I stick to basic exercises, and I very rarely use any machines except for the pec-deck for flies.

-I warm up with two sets of push-ups, one with a wide grip and one with a close grip.  And I do a quick chest stretch.
-I always bench press.  I will very occasionally use dembells instead of the barbell.  This is usually the first exercise I do, and I do four sets.  Right now, my heavy sets are 135 pounds for about 8.  Last off-season, my heavy sets were 165 pounds for about 6-8, and my max bench raw is about 185-190 pounds.
-I always do incline presses.  I always use dumbells. Three heavy sets.
-I sometimes do two sets of incline dumbell flies after the incline press.  Not really heavy weight...I just do long sets (like 20) to get a good stretch before I press again.
-I will either do decline bench press OR close grip bench press, depending on what mood I am in.  Three sets of whichever I choose.
-I do either pec deck or cable flies to end the workout.  Three sets with a good stretch.

Not much variation...sometimes I will do some sets on the Hammer Strength incline press, but not very often.
IF I am going to miss a tricep workout during the week, then I will definitely do the close grip bench press, and I may add in three sets of weight-assisted tricep dips, as those also hit the chest pretty hard.

I'll add my current numbers later this week.  And then I want to know how to get them UP.  There is a bench meet on November 3 that I would love to be ready for, but I am not sure I will be. 

:)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
Re: Chest Training
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 03:18:42 PM »
135 for eight.  dammit, I can barely get 100 for 8
X

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 06:17:39 PM »
Cool thread and stories ripitup, bench comps huh? Sounds like fun!! Im sure you kick ass at it.  Saw this thread before I went and trained chest today so it made me wanna hit it hard today and try some different stuff.  I will probally be least creative with my chest training of all my body parts for some reason but I do mix it up pretty well.

Typically I will start with incline BB press, sometimes I will do these in the smith machine, but nothing beats the free weights  :)  I take my time warming up and will do 4 warm up sets usually, Luv's not as young as he used to be  ;D  I hesitate to list numbers cause they are meaningless if you use crap form and a short ROM, in all resistance training you must go down past the "sticking point" or you will not gain like you should.  But I don't play and pride myself on good form and a good ROM, as I know the other members of this board do too, so I will throw my #'s out there.

Typical chest work out:

Incline BB press: barx20, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12 now the work sets start 275x10, 315x6, 275x10, 245x10

Flys: 40x12, 50x12, 60x12, 70x12.  Sometimes I will use a shallow incline for flys.

This next exercise could be DB presses or some kind of machine press:  DB press 90x12, 100x12, 90x10-12, 80x12

Next will be a machine fly, either a pec-deck or cable crossovers:  Crossovers I do these pretty light and just focus on the squeeze and pump 45x12, 50x12, 60x12, 70x12  the best set is the 45lb set as I love to just feel this movement and squeeze hard on the pecs.  This is the most abused exercise out there.  You will see beginners tying to use the whole stack, working everything except their chest.  I feel this exercise should not even be used until you have a good base.

Today i was in the mood to switch things up and this is the work out I just did for a change of pace.

DB press 30x15, 55x12, 80x12, 110x12, 125x7, 115x10, 105x12, must admit I did not feel strong on these today and was disappointed with how I did on them.

Low incline fly 40x12, 50x12, 60x12, 70x10

Smith machine incline press 185x12, 225x12, 275x10, 275x10 drop set to 225x?

Cable crossovers 4x12 pretty light.

Overall a good work out was very happy with the way i looked when i hit a pumped up side chest.  BOOOOM! Baaaby

Will be very interesting when you get those implants ripitup :D cause it sounds like they are comming one day.  Yes I would also like to hear how some of the ladies with them train chest, pics would probally work best for this purpose with clothing or lack of that shows the muscles working  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 05:21:44 AM »
Overall a good work out was very happy with the way i looked when i hit a pumped up side chest.  BOOOOM! Baaaby

Will be very interesting when you get those implants ripitup :D cause it sounds like they are comming one day.  Yes I would also like to hear how some of the ladies with them train chest, pics would probally work best for this purpose with clothing or lack of that shows the muscles working  ;D

LOL where are your pics Luv baby?  I'll show you mine if you show me yours.   ;D

So do you prefer alternating between a press and fly throughout the workout?  Is it for the stretch or some other reason?

I did go back to the gym last night, but I decided to start the week with back instead of chest, since it sucks to do back with a sore chest.  Guess it's time to start a back training thread.   :)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 08:41:17 AM »
no offense but seeing Luv's pics in another thread i'm going to have to call bullshit on the 315x6 bb incline.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 11:38:19 AM »
no offense but seeing Luv's pics in another thread i'm going to have to call bullshit on the 315x6 bb incline.

315x6 is impressive, but certainly not out of the question for someone of Luv's stature.   8)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 01:01:37 PM »

315x6 is impressive, but certainly not out of the question for someone of Luv's stature.   8)

sorry, gonna have to disagree with you from the pics i've seen but no big deal.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 06:16:13 PM »

LOL where are your pics Luv baby?  I'll show you mine if you show me yours.   ;D

So do you prefer alternating between a press and fly throughout the workout?  Is it for the stretch or some other reason?

I did go back to the gym last night, but I decided to start the week with back instead of chest, since it sucks to do back with a sore chest.  Guess it's time to start a back training thread.   :)

Yes I do prefer to alternate between press and fly it always made sense to me and heres my thinking on it.  The first excersise is almost always a pressing movement, but on occassion I will start off with a fly and pre-exhaust.  The first pressing excersise is the mass and power builder and gets most of my energy, flys next really beats them up pretty good which makes the next pressing excersise which is often DB a lighter excersise but its really all you can do anyhow, its kind of a pre-exhaust in the middle of the workout. The last flying movement should pretty much toast them good.  There are times when I will do just 1 fly excersise and 3 pressing movements, but I pretty much stick to the press-fly routine  :)

I did back today, I look forward to the back training thread cause I wanna bring my back up and I love to train it heavy, but I dont know if its working that good for me  :-\  I bet you are sore from training back cause you took some time off, I luv that post muscle soreness  8)

Pics huh....OK  ;D heres 4  took today these are the start, im really about 2-4 weeks away from pics shape But this is me 10 weeks out pretty soft, hairy and pale  :(  They will be good to show my progression as the contest gets near.

sorry, gonna have to disagree with you from the pics i've seen but no big deal.

Its cool squad you dont have to believe me.  I will say this Im strong on the incline and can pretty much press as much on incline as on flat bench, probally cause I never bench press, they bother my shoulder and elbow.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 04:14:54 AM »
looking good bro.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 04:30:09 AM »
You do your chest workouts like I do my back workouts (alternate pulls and rows).  I actually never thought too much about why I do it that way, but I'm glad it makes sense LOL. 

NICE side chest btw. 8)
I spose I'll dig up one for this thread.  ;)

Keep up the good work! 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 05:03:08 AM »
looking good bro.

Thanks DavidP!  :)

You do your chest workouts like I do my back workouts (alternate pulls and rows).  I actually never thought too much about why I do it that way, but I'm glad it makes sense LOL. 

NICE side chest btw. 8)
I spose I'll dig up one for this thread.  ;)

Keep up the good work! 

Thanks ripitup baby  :-*

I do my back the same way as you also, row then pull.  I will change what excersise I start with either row or pull almost everytime.  There are millions of way to keep the body guessing and keep the workouts fresh.  I was hesitant to post that lat spread pic cause I dont like it, but we will see how it looks here in a month or so and then again close to the show and then from the show.  Maybe I will be able to get some pics with Blockhead and The Beast if they are there and they usually are.  I have never met The Beast but did see her win the Illinios state champ, awesome!  Would be cool to get some pics with those guys for this board  8)

Well I showed you mine Rip Baby..... ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 06:37:30 AM »
hey man i started a thread about your claim on the Gossip board, i knew Rip would delete my comments so i put it where it win't be deleted, sorry man hate to expose you like this but your arms look 14 inches and that claim is just too unbelievable.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 07:09:38 AM »
hey man i started a thread about your claim on the Gossip board, i knew Rip would delete my comments so i put it where it win't be deleted, sorry man hate to expose you like this but your arms look 14 inches and that claim is just too unbelievable.

hahahahahhaa  oh brother.   ::)

BTW, I do owe you a pic Luv, so I will post it later today and get this thread back on track.    ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2007, 11:19:37 AM »

I do my back the same way as you also, row then pull.  I will change what excersise I start with either row or pull almost everytime.  There are millions of way to keep the body guessing and keep the workouts fresh.  I was hesitant to post that lat spread pic cause I dont like it, but we will see how it looks here in a month or so and then again close to the show and then from the show.  Maybe I will be able to get some pics with Blockhead and The Beast if they are there and they usually are.  I have never met The Beast but did see her win the Illinios state champ, awesome!  Would be cool to get some pics with those guys for this board  8)

Well I showed you mine Rip Baby..... ;D

Just for you Luv Baby... :-*

You should totally hook up with Block and Beast for some pics, they are a lot of fun!

Now I think I AM training chest tonight (I thought I would start the week with chest but did back instead), so I will put my numbers up after I do, and then everyone can tell me I am lying.   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2007, 12:32:06 PM »
 :o  Dayum Rip you look fantastick!!  Looking awesome  :-*!!!

You certainly are an inspiration to me thanks. great pics.

Would love to hear about your chest workout  :)  Rip it up as you always do ripitupbaby!!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2007, 01:08:11 PM »
awesome smile, the legs look tiny though Rip.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2007, 02:14:48 PM »
Rip has nothing to prove to you squad  ::)  she's already shown the world what she can do and is a great champion with more titles to come I'm sure.  They don't give that sh*t away and she earned it with hard work and an awesome physique from any angle.

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 05:44:29 PM »
nice pics rip! I tried something different this week, 10 sets 10 reps. Did it with incline bb with 185, after the 5th set had to drop it to 165, ish was feeling heavy!!! got a good pump and still feeling a lil tight. Usually do incline bb, flat db, incline flies, and some cable work (10 1/2 weeks out and dieting for real now). 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 07:13:32 PM »
Rip also wanted to add I really like that suit in the pic from the finals, very cool great color  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 07:33:34 AM »
Rip also wanted to add I really like that suit in the pic from the finals, very cool great color  8)

Why thanks sweetheart!  And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  :-*

It's funny you say that...one of the judges at Jr Nats this year told me that I should never wear pink on stage again because it makes me look skinny and small.   ???
I was like..."but I AM small, I'm a LW."   :D

nice pics rip! I tried something different this week, 10 sets 10 reps. Did it with incline bb with 185, after the 5th set had to drop it to 165, ish was feeling heavy!!! got a good pump and still feeling a lil tight. Usually do incline bb, flat db, incline flies, and some cable work (10 1/2 weeks out and dieting for real now). 

Gimme that again az...you do one exercise for 10 sets?  It sounds interesting....
I wonder if this is a good way to build strength?

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
something I heard about and wanted to try, can't really continue now with it but will try again in off season. It was quite challenging!!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2007, 05:26:02 PM »
Why thanks sweetheart!  And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!  :-*

It's funny you say that...one of the judges at Jr Nats this year told me that I should never wear pink on stage again because it makes me look skinny and small.   ???
I was like..."but I AM small, I'm a LW."   :D

Well thanks sweetie, yep another year younger  ;)

Still like the suit and color....judges....what do they know   ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 06:53:18 AM »
something I heard about and wanted to try, can't really continue now with it but will try again in off season. It was quite challenging!!

I'm gonna give this one a try during the off-season, once I get my numbers back up to a respectable range. 
Good luck with the dieting AZ, keep us posted on your progress! 

I still haven't managed to bang out a chest workout this week yet, but I'll post my numbers once I do.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 10:51:32 PM »
:o  Dayum Rip you look fantastick!!  Looking awesome  :-*!!!

Agree 100%

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 04:15:45 AM »
Man did chest earlier this week and decided to do some different stuff at least a different order of excersises.  Did mainly machines and more presses than usual.

Smith incline press: 5x9-12 reps  Got up to 270lbs on the bar for 11 for my best set.

Forgot who makes this vertical chest press but I like it, its plate loaded and the handles adjust in and out for a good ROM 4x10-12, will get the name when I go back today.

Hammer wide chest: 4x10-12  This is a good machine, its almost a flying movement and you can really sqeuezze hard at the top on it, plus it gives a good stretch!  It has a real long ROM

Last was Free Motion flys:  I use the free motion chest machine and put one of those stability ball thingys on the seat behind my back for a full ROM, without it the ROM is too short and you cant get a good stretch.  These are a great move and they feel great, kind of an incline fly  8)

Dat was it, got pretty sore and I kept my body guessing, plus it helps keep things fresh and fun.

Off to eat some oats, PB and shake and some other goodies  ;)  Thinking Im gonna start a comp diet thread since im in the middle of it.