Author Topic: Chest Training  (Read 45232 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Chest Training
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2007, 07:10:44 PM »
ok i understand now  ;).

but i still think bench shirts are ridicolous lol....they have in many ways ruined powerlifting.

I think that it's interesting how strong people's feelings are about bench shirts, one way or the other.
All I know is that I was the ONLY person - guy or girl - who benched raw at the meet I did last year...and I definitely wished I had one then!

It does take alot of technique, strength, and skill to even be able to use a bench shirt, so I am looking forward to trying it out.  It'll be a new challenge for me. 

:)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2007, 09:32:50 PM »
no offense but seeing Luv's pics in another thread i'm going to have to call bullshit on the 315x6 bb incline.
Why are you such an idiot?

315x6 is impressive, but certainly not out of the question for someone of Luv's stature.   8)

You're right, squad has no idea what he's talking about...that is a very decent lift! I've never been that strong on presses, either chest or shoulders, much better numbers on back and leg lifts IMO. My best incline set ever was 275 for 6 and that just about killed me, lol! Most of the time I prefer to stay around 225-250 tops...it just hurts too much going any heavier...I haven't tried to max on incline in years. Too many years of football and baseball did a number on my shoulders and I've got bone spurs all over them which makes pressing a bitch sometimes.

I'll say this though, I don't' worry about the numbers too much but I've always had this thing in my mind that if I could ever get to the place where I could incline 405lbs for a max I would give it a shot...obviously a long way off from that but for some reason that would be pretty cool to me. I know squad, pretty pathetic huh? Maybe one day God will bless me to be as magnificent as you...I can only hope and pray!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »
Why are you such an idiot?

You're right, squad has no idea what he's talking about...that is a very decent lift! I've never been that strong on presses, either chest or shoulders, much better numbers on back and leg lifts IMO. My best incline set ever was 275 for 6 and that just about killed me, lol! Most of the time I prefer to stay around 225-250 tops...it just hurts too much going any heavier...I haven't tried to max on incline in years. Too many years of football and baseball did a number on my shoulders and I've got bone spurs all over them which makes pressing a bitch sometimes.

I'll say this though, I don't' worry about the numbers too much but I've always had this thing in my mind that if I could ever get to the place where I could incline 405lbs for a max I would give it a shot...obviously a long way off from that but for some reason that would be pretty cool to me. I know squad, pretty pathetic huh? Maybe one day God will bless me to be as magnificent as you...I can only hope and pray!

another internet hero with no pictures posted, hahaha, sounds like i touched a nerve with "arnold jr.", be honest all ass kissing aside do you really think that this guy LOOKS like he can incline 315 for 6?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2007, 02:18:47 PM »
another internet hero with no pictures posted, hahaha, sounds like i touched a nerve with "arnold jr.", be honest all ass kissing aside do you really think that this guy LOOKS like he can incline 315 for 6?
No, no nerve touched, I just don't understand why you would think he's lying?
L2H's arms are not that small...no, they're not 23" but they have some decent size and build to them...he looks like a pretty thick solid dude to me.

To answer your question, yes, I have no problem believing he can press 315 for 6. You know, the actual size of someone does not always tell the tale of how much weight they can move...particularly on presses. And no, I'm not implying L2H is small. But I remember this guy back in collage who was around 6'4" and couldn't have been more then 200lbs...pretty lanky guy but what size he did have was very solid and very hard. I remember spotting him on flat bench one day and he pushed 365 on flat for a good 5 or 6 and 315 on incline for a few reps fairly easily. I was shocked that someone his size could move that kind of weight, but those people are out there. I think a lot of people negate the fact that in pressing movements especially, things like joint and tendon strength and size play a large role in how much weight can be moved.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2007, 03:57:24 PM »
L2H's arms are not that small...no, they're not 23" but they have some decent size and build to them...he looks like a pretty thick solid dude to me.

To answer your question, yes, I have no problem believing he can press 315 for 6. You know, the actual size of someone does not always tell the tale of how much weight they can move...particularly on presses. And no, I'm not implying L2H is small. But I remember this guy back in collage who was around 6'4" and couldn't have been more then 200lbs...pretty lanky guy but what size he did have was very solid and very hard. I remember spotting him on flat bench one day and he pushed 365 on flat for a good 5 or 6 and 315 on incline for a few reps fairly easily. I was shocked that someone his size could move that kind of weight, but those people are out there. I think a lot of people negate the fact that in pressing movements especially, things like joint and tendon strength and size play a large role in how much weight can be moved.

I agree with this...not to mention that bench pressing is not all about arms! 

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2007, 04:04:12 PM »

I believe he can incline 315 for 6. This is a much better pic of his upper body. He has a thick chest.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »
I believe he can incline 315 for 6. This is a much better pic of his upper body. He has a thick chest.

I like that picture.   :-*

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »
A good friend of mine won the lightweights at a BB show and came to a bench meet a week later still shredded...I think he weighed 140-something, in the low 140s, and he benched 305 or 310 in competition.  Granted it was with a shirt, but still... 8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2007, 06:12:38 PM »
hahahahahhaa, no offense the guy has good quads but you have to be kidding me with this guys tiny upper body, are you guys seeing what i'm seeing? his arms look ripped but they're 13 inches and his chest is ripped but it's tiny.

Well "big guy"  I really dont think Im all that big, not bad though.  In those pics posted as you said im "ripped" my body weight there is about 195lbs at a height of 5'7" now that means I would be a pretty big LT heavy weight.  So overall Im pretty happy with it.  I think you may have a tendency to mistake fat for muscle, no offense.

Yes those are true BB incline press #'s for me, I dont do that every work out but will always do at least 275lbs. Without a spotter just last monday I got 11 full ROM reps with that.  See I dont lie about my lifts, why would I?  Im a 44 YO man and could care less about what anyone thinks about me.  If you read my #'s listed in the leg training thread they are very consevative for someone with legs as big as mine, I easily could have "inflated" those #'s but I have used this fourum to talk about what I really do and Im pretty proud of it.  For some reason you have found the need to go out of your way to insult me, for whatever reason? 

Now since you have chosen to bash me, you must have a pretty damn good physiqe and you should have no problem posting CLEAR pics of yourself.  Not those pics where you cant see anything, but pics where we can see you for the beast you must be.  Come on or is your "digital cammera broke?"  Why dont you put your money where your mouth is?  No offense. 

Here are pics of me taken within the last few months or so at 44yo.  Dont let an old man make a bitch of you, no offense. 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2007, 04:10:26 AM »
CHEST is lookin thick Luv Baby...everything's lookin good actually!   
And 44 ain't old...it's mature.  8)

:-*

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2007, 06:04:58 AM »
CHEST is lookin thick Luv Baby...everything's lookin good actually!   
And 44 ain't old...it's mature.  8)

:-*

Thanks rip baby  :-*  yep i sure dont feel old, Im just getting into my prime.  Comming from an awesome BB as yourself, Iam very flattered  :)  I will just keep being the best i can be.

Maybe you're not paying attention.
Get eyes checked...his arms and chest are not Ronnie size, but small? No way! BTW, L2H is one of the most legitimate and truthful posters on this board...no reason whatsoever to doubt what he says.

Thanks also to the other people who matter to me on this board Davidpaul, AJ and all the others who have been cool and supportive.  I would never lie to them, I would feel ashamed.  Getbig is a great site, even though the trolls try to cause problems.

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2007, 01:53:25 PM »
I did chest Sunday.  Here is what I did.  It's not too inspiring.  However, I am not so inspired to work chest because my shoulders are killing me these days! >:(

shoulder warm-up:  IR/ER, "L-rotations" with 5 lb db
active stretches

Hammer incline presses s/s with alternating db press with rotation(flat bench) 4x15/4x20-24
Flat d/b press s/s with machine flys (the one with bent elbows touching) 4x15
low cable flys s/s with machine incline presses, 3x12/3x15
machine dips 3x15

20 min cardio on treadmill while watching the Angels win the division title! ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2007, 04:29:23 PM »
hahahahhaa, check it out i'm starting a thread about you on the main board. :D

Oh no, see like I said Im so in your head, do what ever you like fat boy Im done with you troll.

I would recommend at this point any more bickering and bashing on this board be deleated.  I would hate to see the integrity of the board dragged down by this type of sillyness.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2007, 05:44:39 PM »
I would recommend at this point any more bickering and bashing on this board be deleated.  I would hate to see the integrity of the board dragged down by this type of sillyness.

Done.  Except I kept the posts that contained pics, I didn't want to delete those.   ;D

CHAM, thanks so much for posting your chest workout!  And congrats to the Angels too.   :D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2007, 09:32:55 PM »
Well I trained chest yesterday, good work out and am really sore today.  Did mostly my regular chest workout, at 4.5 weeks out from my show my BW is down to about 196lbs and my strength is not what it is when offseason where my BW is normaly about 215-220lbs.  Im a little depleated on pretty low carbs about 80-100g per day right now  :'(  But still good energy for the most part cause of the fats in my diet  :)

Here is the workout I did went pretty heavy for me for this close to the show, but thats how I do it. My thinking is train as heavy as you can up to the show, without getting hurt to keep your size.  But will back it off some as my BW drops more. Gonna get to 190lbs and see how I look there, should be close.

Incline BB press: Barx20, 135x12, 225x12, 275X9, 315x6 a little spotter assist on the last 2 reps, 275x8, 225x10

Incline flys: 40x12, 50x10, 50x10, 50x10

Hammer wide chest 4 sets between 2 and 3 plates per side X 10-12 reps

Free motion flys with half ball thingy behind my back for increased range of motion 4x10  This thing feels really good!!  A great finisher!!

A nice pump and was a little bit of a change up workout.  Nice and sore, feeling it today.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2007, 04:40:43 AM »
Well I trained chest yesterday, good work out and am really sore today.  Did mostly my regular chest workout, at 4.5 weeks out from my show my BW is down to about 196lbs and my strength is not what it is when offseason where my BW is normaly about 215-220lbs.  Im a little depleated on pretty low carbs about 80-100g per day right now  :'(  But still good energy for the most part cause of the fats in my diet  :)

Here is the workout I did went pretty heavy for me for this close to the show, but thats how I do it. My thinking is train as heavy as you can up to the show, without getting hurt to keep your size.  But will back it off some as my BW drops more. Gonna get to 190lbs and see how I look there, should be close.

Incline BB press: Barx20, 135x12, 225x12, 275X9, 315x6 a little spotter assist on the last 2 reps, 275x8, 225x10

Incline flys: 40x12, 50x10, 50x10, 50x10

Hammer wide chest 4 sets between 2 and 3 plates per side X 10-12 reps

Free motion flys with half ball thingy behind my back for increased range of motion 4x10  This thing feels really good!!  A great finisher!!

A nice pump and was a little bit of a change up workout.  Nice and sore, feeling it today.

OMG LUV!!   :o

hahaha that was AWESOME!  VERY impressive for 4.5 weeks out from your show.  My strength and energy seem to drop off considerably around 6 weeks out, so I can imagine you were not feeling 100%....and it was still very impressive!   8)

The videos are a great addition to the training threads....more please!   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2007, 05:02:04 AM »

OMG LUV!!   :o

hahaha that was AWESOME!  VERY impressive for 4.5 weeks out from your show.  My strength and energy seem to drop off considerably around 6 weeks out, so I can imagine you were not feeling 100%....and it was still very impressive!   8)

The videos are a great addition to the training threads....more please!   ;D

Well thanks rip baby!!  :)  Yeah my strength and BW has been dropping for the last couple of weeks, but still feeling pretty good.  Noticed it when my reps with 275 dropped by 2 reps in one week.  I use that weight to gauge my strength cause I can handle it fairly comfortably but its still a challange.

Yeah the vids are fun, will have to get more done  8)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2007, 06:04:25 AM »
get a hotell room!  ;)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2007, 06:11:24 AM »

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2007, 08:24:16 AM »
good job man, i'm an honest guy and man enough to admit that you did it, could have locked out the reps and brought the bar all the way down on the 5th rep but that's just nitpicking, good job, i still have to say though that you don't LOOK LIKE you can do it.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2007, 09:16:41 AM »
Nice vid clip.
I'd Like to see sum leg work when your ripped, and later in Fat & Happy mode too.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2007, 02:00:55 PM »
Nice vid clip.
I'd Like to see sum leg work when your ripped, and later in Fat & Happy mode too.

ME TOO.    ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2007, 02:49:14 PM »
Thanks guys.  8)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2007, 01:38:18 AM »
Impessive vid, props

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2007, 07:32:40 AM »
I finally got the bench shirt on...what an experience!  It is SO tight, it's hard to imagine how I am going to bench in it.  Notice how my right forearm is turning purple.   :-\
It makes my arms look like they are about 7 inches hahaha.

I posted more details and pics in the thread on the Powerlifting Board, but here's what it looks like. 
I've got to get it on a little better -  get that crinkle out of the chest - and then I will start breaking it in at the gym, which will take about a month.  I have a feeling that I am going to bench some big numbers if I can figure out how to use the shirt correctly.   8)