Author Topic: Chest Training  (Read 45294 times)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Re: Chest Training
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2007, 08:21:42 AM »
I finally got the bench shirt on...what an experience!  It is SO tight, it's hard to imagine how I am going to bench in it.  Notice how my right forearm is turning purple.   :-\
It makes my arms look like they are about 7 inches hahaha.

I posted more details and pics in the thread on the Powerlifting Board, but here's what it looks like. 
I've got to get it on a little better -  get that crinkle out of the chest - and then I will start breaking it in at the gym, which will take about a month.  I have a feeling that I am going to bench some big numbers if I can figure out how to use the shirt correctly.   8)

bench shirts look funny.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2007, 08:26:02 AM »
I finally got the bench shirt on...what an experience!  It is SO tight, it's hard to imagine how I am going to bench in it.  Notice how my right forearm is turning purple.   :-\
It makes my arms look like they are about 7 inches hahaha.

I posted more details and pics in the thread on the Powerlifting Board, but here's what it looks like. 
I've got to get it on a little better -  get that crinkle out of the chest - and then I will start breaking it in at the gym, which will take about a month.  I have a feeling that I am going to bench some big numbers if I can figure out how to use the shirt correctly.   8)

i'm having some extremely naughty thoughts about you squeezing into that shirt. :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2007, 08:50:42 AM »
haha yes, I know it looks funny.  And yes I know I have monster seven inch arms.   ;D

I have to be honest...getting into and out of the shirt is not a terribly pleasant experience.  I had one of those moments of panic when I was trying to get the shirt off my arms, sort of like when you have a ring stuck on your finger and your finger starts to swell.   :-\

I'm gonna give it another try tonight and try to get the crinkle out of the chest.  It completely squishes my boobs too btw.  It's amazing to me that I will even be able to press with it on, but that's what I have to work on.
:)

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2007, 08:57:17 AM »
haha yes, I know it looks funny.  And yes I know I have monster seven inch arms.   ;D

I have to be honest...getting into and out of the shirt is not a terribly pleasant experience.  I had one of those moments of panic when I was trying to get the shirt off my arms, sort of like when you have a ring stuck on your finger and your finger starts to swell.   :-\

I'm gonna give it another try tonight and try to get the crinkle out of the chest.  It completely squishes my boobs too btw.  It's amazing to me that I will even be able to press with it on, but that's what I have to work on.

i wonder if chicks with huge boobs can use bench shirts.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2007, 09:06:02 AM »

i wonder if chicks with huge boobs can use bench shirts.

I'm sure they can...I've been talking to someone who knows a woman with very large boobs who wears one quite successfully.  But I bet it is not comfortable!  Not sure if hers are natural though, but I know that benching with implants is not a real good idea regardless of whether or not you wear a shirt.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »
Ouch! rip that does look painfull.  But like they say "no pain no gain"  LOL

Imagine how good its gonna feel when your locking out that 225  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2007, 12:58:10 PM »
Ouch! rip that does look painfull.  But like they say "no pain no gain"  LOL

Imagine how good its gonna feel when your locking out that 225  8)

At least 225, I hope, Luv Baby.    8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2007, 01:30:05 PM »

Thats what Im talking bout Ripitup Baaaby!!  ;D

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2007, 05:34:43 PM »

Did you say you got around 175 RAW? And I suspect that's w/ pretty much elbows out flat-back  style.
ANd even worse, a slow  lowering.

2 wheels is a forgone conclusion, think about 3.

Need arch and adjust body (elbow tuck and retracted shoulder blades) to get a touch, then as much velocity
as you can deliver off the chest.

It do look tight though.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2007, 05:42:30 PM »
Did you say you got around 175 RAW? And I suspect that's w/ pretty much elbows out flat-back  style.
ANd even worse, a slow  lowering.

2 wheels is a forgone conclusion, think about 3.

Need arch and adjust body (elbow tuck and retracted shoulder blades) to get a touch, then as much velocity
as you can deliver off the chest.

It do look tight though.

175 raw in my last comp (I think) but I've done 185 in the gym. 
That was before I dieted down for Jr Nats.  Flat back, elbows out, and a relatively narrow grip, compared to what I am working on now...I'm still getting used to the form, nevermind the shirt.  My back keeps getting tweeked.   :P

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2007, 07:02:34 PM »

175 raw in my last comp (I think) but I've done 185 in the gym. 
That was before I dieted down for Jr Nats.  Flat back, elbows out, and a relatively narrow grip, compared to what I am working on now...I'm still getting used to the form, nevermind the shirt.  My back keeps getting tweeked.   :P

YOu might be overdoing, trying to get extreme form. Not everyone makes a 1/2 circle of their spine & up on their tip toes.
I sure cant. The shirt will help force the form you need.

Dont overstress trying to copy it perfectly RAW, its not really possible. A raw lift is not a shirted lift, but using the shirt will make you a better RAW lifter. ALL that extra plate sends a message.
Most all the shirt haters 1. Never used one 2. Dont have all that impressive of a bench.
Most lifters w/ a impressive bench in a shirt, also have at least a decent Raw bench for their size.

Can work on some flexability on arching backwards over one of them big balls.

You ever try inversion hanging? It used to help, but Im beyond that.

Inner back shoulder blade area tweaked? Band rows/pulls from the cage to various heights.
And various face down on the HIgh-bench light DB extension/ rotations for upper-inner back and rear delts.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2007, 08:47:18 PM »
Hey Rip Baby I found this info, looked pretty good, might be a tip or 2 in there that can help you knock out that 275lb bench  ;)

By: Sebastian Burns

When most people set up for the bench they usually don't think that what they are doing is the most important part of the lift. They are focused on the weight and maybe the excitement of the meet or training session. What they don't know is that the game is won or lost in the setup. I don't think that many local gym rats even think about it at all. Judging by most of what I have seen working in the gym business for 15 odd years most people just lay down and push the bar up in whatever way possible. This is fine if you are a flat back benchin gym rat, but when you are looking to do some damage to the state, national, or world record books you will need to pay more attention to your setup. I have personally seen lifters add 50 to 100lbs to their bench in one or two training sessions just by improving their setup. That's right, 50 to 100lbs!! Most lifters would say only a bench shirt could cause an increase like that. Well I will try to convey in writing the proper way to set up your bench press so you to can enjoy an increase like that.
Lets start with feet position your feet should be spread wide. A good rule of thumb here is to always spread your feet a little wider than you think they should be. If you keep that in your head over time you will be able to get them pretty wide if you are not flexible enough to do so in the beginning .Now lets look at foot placement. The way we will do this is to look at the foot in relation to the knee. The feet should be tucked behind your knee more towards your head and the angle of your leg from a side view should look like this (<). There is a few reasons for this foot placement the first being the ability to drive hard from your legs without your ass coming up off the bench. The second is stability. The wide stance will provide the base needed to steer heavy weight with a bench shirt on. The actual way you place your feet is also important. We have found that it is best to put the full force of your push onto the balls of your feet but at the same time pressing the heel to the floor. Pushing the heel to the floor can be used as a fine adjustment knob for getting weight to touch your chest with your shirt on. When you push your heel down this will cause your stomach to rise and will allow the bar to touch.
Now lets move beyond the feet to the hip joint. It is here that we create the angle of the upper leg (<) we are looking for to get the feet in the proper position. This is accomplished by flexing your gluteus as much as possible and rotating your crotch towards the bench (Balls to the bench if you will). If you follow all the steps up till here we have solved the problems of getting max stability with max leg drive without raising your ass off the bench. For most lifters this would seem impossible but with some time and a lot of effort you will get the position right. If your ass is still coming off the bench then your feet will have to go wider or farther back or both.
Next is the lower back, obviously this will determine most of your arch and you will need to really push yourself to get your arch up if you are not flexible enough to do so already. I cannot say enough how important it is that you try really hard to get better at arching it is almost the biggest piece of the shirt bench puzzle. There is a few ways I have seen over the years to try to help you arch, everything from placing various balls and boards under your back to crazy stretching exercises. My opinion here is that if you think it works then try it. I personally have never used anything except trying to arch higher and higher every single set and I have been told that my arch is one of the best save for a few girls who can just bend in half.
Now lets move to arching the upper back. Most people think that only the lower back arches but this is not so and this is very important if you want to get the most out of your shirt, this is accomplished by putting your upper trap on the bench and pushing your chest out as far as possible. To see what I am saying sit up straight in a chair and place your finger on the highest point on your trap you will see that this is not behind you but rather on top. This is what you are trying to get on the bench.
Now that we have made it this far lets talk about the final piece and perhaps the most important. Shoulder blade retraction the best way to explain this is to stand straight up and put your arms up like you are about to bench. Now have someone put his or her finger in the middle of your upper back on your spine. Pull your shoulders together and try to squeeze that persons finger notice your bench stroke will shorten a few inches from doing this. This will also aid in touching weight with a tight shirt on. The reason for it in the setup will be to hold your shirt in place while you are arching.
Now that we have broken down each area of the proper setup lets put it all together into one motion because it must become one fluid motion that does not require lots of valuable energy needed for the lift.
Start by sitting on the end of the bench retracting your shoulder blades keeping your shirt where you have placed it for the lift. Lying back on the bench and grabbing the bar with an underhand grip, next move your head and upper body thru the bench towards your handoff spotter while holding yourself up with your underhand grip. Shoulders still retracted, pull your feet back farther than where you would normally place them, almost where they are touching the cross member of the bench. Keep them there and start moving your body back toward the front of the bench without moving your feet. Once you feel a great stretch in your hipflexors. Anchor your hips to the bench and start rotating your crotch downward toward the bench. Your feet still remain in the extremely flexed position at this time. Shoulders still together chest and stomach pushed up real high, this is where you must focus on the upper back arch. You can also use your head to hold your upper back off the bench while you are trying to get the upper trap on the bench. When you feel you have enough of an arch to put your traps down, slam them down hard and dig in. All the time be aware of your shirt and arm position. Keep pushing your ass and your traps closer together using your feet at one end and pushing into the arch with your hands on the bar with the other. The whole time you are doing this you will need to be aware of your bench shirt and the position of your arms, I cannot stress this enough. Now that you are in position slide your feet forward (not too far) until you can get a solid base on the balls of your feet now push your heels to the floor. If you can do so easily you went too far. It should be hard to get them to touch the floor .Now without moving your shirt turn your hands around push together a little more take a deep breath and take the weight.
I hope you will incorporate some or all of these things into your bench setup.

Copied form JoeySmith.proboards105.c om North Carolina APF home and message forum

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2007, 04:46:45 AM »
YOu might be overdoing, trying to get extreme form. Not everyone makes a 1/2 circle of their spine & up on their tip toes.
I sure cant. The shirt will help force the form you need.
Dont overstress trying to copy it perfectly RAW, its not really possible. A raw lift is not a shirted lift, but using the shirt will make you a better RAW lifter. ALL that extra plate sends a message.
Most all the shirt haters 1. Never used one 2. Dont have all that impressive of a bench.
Most lifters w/ a impressive bench in a shirt, also have at least a decent Raw bench for their size.

Can work on some flexability on arching backwards over one of them big balls.

You ever try inversion hanging? It used to help, but Im beyond that.

Inner back shoulder blade area tweaked? Band rows/pulls from the cage to various heights.
And various face down on the HIgh-bench light DB extension/ rotations for upper-inner back and rear delts.

It's been right in between the shoulder blades lately.  I don't think I am over-doing it in terms of the arch etc, I am pretty flexible in my back...but ever since I injured my back three years ago, I have been quite "loose" in the spine...things fall out of place easily.  More stretching never hurts, for sure.
I've heard great things about inversion, but I have never tried it.  I've looked into some tables, and maybe one of these days I will get one.

Hey Rip Baby I found this info, looked pretty good, might be a tip or 2 in there that can help you knock out that 275lb bench  ;)

Thanks LUV!  I saw that article too and have read it a few times.  Good tips to keep in mind for sure.  I've been reading and watching a lot of videos, and I think I have the basic concepts down, but it's a matter of practicing them and getting used to how it feels cuz it's totally different than just laying on the bench and pressing the bar.  I print out these kinds of articles and read them while I do cardio...which I haven't been doing much of lately... :-\...maybe it's time for a refresher!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2007, 08:40:48 AM »
Maybe we ought to get L2h to order a shirt and aim his car north at the cornfields an come up by me,
get my lazy ass back on the bench...  ;D

Burns stuff is excellent, both writing and videos..

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2007, 06:34:30 PM »
Maybe we ought to get L2h to order a shirt and aim his car north at the cornfields an come up by me,
get my lazy ass back on the bench...  ;D

Burns stuff is excellent, both writing and videos..

LOL bro that would be fun  :)  I would maybe one day like to try my hand at PL. but for some reason I think I would want to do RAW meets.  But Im sure once the bug bites you, you wanna lift some serious #'s and the shirt would help with that Im sure.

Ive spent all my training years trying to make the weight feel heavier, by isolating as much as possible.  PL would be for me like it is for rip, totaly foriegn.  have to admit would one day I would like to get up to a big squat.  These joints have been abused over the years so not sure if its the best idea though  :-\

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2007, 09:59:25 AM »
This week, I'm gonna start posting my chest workouts in the thread I started on the powerlifting board. 

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=166468.100

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2007, 01:56:12 PM »
This week, I'm gonna start posting my chest workouts in the thread I started on the powerlifting board. 

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=166468.100

Cool Riper, its time to rip it the F up baby!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
Well thought I would try and revive some of the training threads, this is a training board by the way.

Teusday I did some chest training, felt the best i have in a while.

Was gonna whimp out and do incline presses in the smith but it was all taken up....go figure  ::)  So that left just me and the regular incline bench, which is by far the best anyhow all 3 were empty BTW LOL. 

Nothing special for the workout but the stellar point was i was feeling stronger and the incline free weight bench press is pretty much how I gauge my strength overall.  Weights I struggled with the week before were light and I felt that it was a turning point workout for me  :)

Incline BB  Barx20, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12, 255x10, 265x9, 245x9, 225x12

Low incline flys very shallow angle for the bench.  35x12, 55x10, 60x10, 65x10

Flex seated chest press  4x12

Cable crossovers 4x12 last set drop set.

Workout felt good, will be back up to my old #s and then some  ;)  Should be at my current fat ass weight of 225lbs, Hey im getting a late start on this offseason stuff, oh well I have till end of October till my next comp.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2008, 06:15:46 PM »
LOL thanks Luv, it's been a while  ;)

I'm glad to hear you're getting into the swing of it...October is still plenty far away, so keep kicking ass. 

My chest workouts have been so different for the past six months, I haven't done any exercises like that in a looooooong time. 
I'm interested to see if there's been any change in my physique from the different style of training (not just chest, but shoulders and arms as well).  Of course, we won't be able to tell that for about another 6 months/25 pounds.   :P

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2008, 05:25:07 PM »
Today was chest training day.  For a long time I have been starting my work out the same way with incline BB press, then 3 more exercises.  I will usually do a pushing exercise then a flying type exercise, 2 of each  For 4 sets each meaning about 16 sets for chest not including warm up sets.

This time for variety's sake and to keep things interesting I did the workout backward.  So I pretty much started with what I normally finish with, felt good and got a great pump on the first exercise.

Pec deck flys  4x10-12

Hammer incline press  4x8-12  Got pretty heavy on these

Shallow incline DB flys  4x10-12 up to 70lbs

Smith machine incline press  4-10-12

Its kind of a pre-exhaust workout.  You do an isolation exercise first to work the muscle directly.  Then the idea is to further pound the muscle in this case pecs into the ground with a compound exercise.  By doing this the ancillary muscles triceps and deltoids to some degree assist allowing you to push the already fatigued pecs harder.

i like to do this type of workout on occasion.  Most people don't like to do them cause they cant lift as much on the big lift when it is time to do them  :)  But it can pay off if used properly and you push hard enough.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »
Today was chest training day.  For a long time I have been starting my work out the same way with incline BB press, then 3 more exercises.  I will usually do a pushing exercise then a flying type exercise, 2 of each  For 4 sets each meaning about 16 sets for chest not including warm up sets.

This time for variety's sake and to keep things interesting I did the workout backward.  So I pretty much started with what I normally finish with, felt good and got a great pump on the first exercise.

Pec deck flys  4x10-12

Hammer incline press  4x8-12  Got pretty heavy on these

Shallow incline DB flys  4x10-12 up to 70lbs

Smith machine incline press  4-10-12

Its kind of a pre-exhaust workout.  You do an isolation exercise first to work the muscle directly.  Then the idea is to further pound the muscle in this case pecs into the ground with a compound exercise.  By doing this the ancillary muscles triceps and deltoids to some degree assist allowing you to push the already fatigued pecs harder.

i like to do this type of workout on occasion.  Most people don't like to do them cause they cant lift as much on the big lift when it is time to do them  :)  But it can pay off if used properly and you push hard enough.
dude why are you posting your routine in the female bodybuilding section ?? LOL.
 ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2008, 06:25:54 PM »
dude why are you posting your routine in the female bodybuilding section ?? LOL.
 ;D

I dont know "dude"  I felt like it.  I have many posts here.........OK?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2008, 11:02:10 PM »
I dont know "dude"  I felt like it.  I have many posts here.........OK?
you dont say " dude " ? where are you from,,,    russia ?  LOL

i wasnt hatin luvtwohurt, its just funny thats all

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2008, 04:03:57 AM »
I'm glad Luv posts on this board, and I wish others would as well.  What Luv's come to realize is that it's kind of an all-inclusive board...he can talk about training (which we all benefit from), interact with some of the very few girls who post on GB, and see tons of pics of hot chicks...all on the same board.  He's not the only guy who posts here, btw.   8)

Good workout too, Luv Baby.   :-*

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2008, 01:31:03 PM »
I'm glad Luv posts on this board, and I wish others would as well.  What Luv's come to realize is that it's kind of an all-inclusive board...he can talk about training (which we all benefit from), interact with some of the very few girls who post on GB, and see tons of pics of hot chicks...all on the same board.  He's not the only guy who posts here, btw.   8)

Good workout too, Luv Baby.   :-*

Yea I post here too :)