Author Topic: Am I in the gym too long???  (Read 2312 times)

Shmoo

• Getbig I
Am I in the gym too long???
« on: August 20, 2007, 05:12:22 PM »
I've started working out in the gym again.  I do my entire body every Tuesday and Friday.  I'm in the gym for about 2.5 hours.  My body is tired, but I seem to make it through.  I'm taking vitamins, creatine, amino acids, protein, and an energy booster around my workouts.  A buddy of mine told me that you should not be in the gym longer than an hour or so.  Due to my work schedule, and my kids, it's hard for me to split up my routine and get to the gym more often.  So, I just cram it all into the same day.

Am I overdoing it?  Would I get greater *bulk* results if I split it up and go an hour each day, for a 4-day workout week, rather than my 2?

Thanks guys...

trab

• Getbig V
Re: Am I in the gym too long???
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
Yes you are overdoing it, If your trying to get bigger and stronger.

That is longer than the most genetically gifted pros on a bucketfull of drugs can make gains on.

SHORT Whole-body work outs are not of the question IMO for beginners.

1 movement for legs, chest, back...

You'd be much better to split it up though....

You only have 2 days a week?  Can you get some equipment at home too?

You just cant go very hard that long. Shorter- harder- more focused work builds beef better than a marathon session.  If you want to look like a marathon athlete, train like one... They are VERY Bony.

Shmoo

• Getbig I
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 05:41:42 PM »
What would be your recommendation on a daily routine, if I split it up?  I could workout Monday/Tuesday  and then again Thursday/Friday...

Chest/tri's, legs one day, shoulders/back,bi's the next....etc...???

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »
What would be your recommendation on a daily routine, if I split it up?  I could workout Monday/Tuesday  and then again Thursday/Friday...

Chest/tri's, legs one day, shoulders/back,bi's the next....etc...???

Can I ask How heavy & Tall you are, age, trainging experience, Goals (Size, strength, lose fat etc).

To gain size I personaly like to skip a day between training, and seporate the Body part each time.
I also cut the number of movments and sets and focus on geting more strength at a increasing # of reps
in basic compound movments.. Bench,  Squat (Leg press if you cant squat), Some Heavy DB Rows & or Pulldowns
(Hammer strength is nice), Some kind of shoulder press... etc

Give us a better idea of where your at, and where you want to go.

Shmoo

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 06:10:13 PM »
Just turned 36, 6'3", 200 pounds.  I'm looking for size.  I had lower back surgery a couple years ago, so squats and military presses with the bar I can't do.  I'm at a good gym, and mostly use Hammer Strength.  I was in really great shape 7 years ago, good size, cut, etc... Since helping with the war effort overseas, and my back problems, I lost the gym, and lost all my size, got skinny and pathetic...  :-)

So, I'm looking to get some size back.  I'd like to get size fast, so then I can get to a point where I'm just maintaining, and not having to kill myself in the gym.

Looking for a good routine to do for this.  I've been doing all body parts in one day, mixing it up with 16-20 reps lighter weight one week, and then doing 6-8 reps heavier weight the next.  But, I'm just in the gym too damn long! 

Help me get big, lol

JackCheze

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »
I'm a fan of whole body workouts, 2.5 hours is kinda long but the most important thing is how you're doing?

Do you sleep well? Your diet good? You can probably get away with it... but if your strength drops and you feel like crap and you can't sleep then you're over training

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 07:23:15 PM »
3 day split : push/pull/legs

2 days is pushing it, 3 days will give good results.  In fact i think 3 days is ideal for naturals, strictly with weight training(an additional-4th day with cardio is fine)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 07:55:16 PM »
3 day split : push/pull/legs

2 days is pushing it, 3 days will give good results.  In fact i think 3 days is ideal for naturals, strictly with weight training(an additional-4th day with cardio is fine)

this is good advice, i would suggest getting additional info about these ideas...

2 days is tough... i mean you can workout but you can't gain

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 07:57:04 PM »
Just turned 36, 6'3", 200 pounds.  I'm looking for size.  I had lower back surgery a couple years ago, so squats and military presses with the bar I can't do.  I'm at a good gym, and mostly use Hammer Strength.  I was in really great shape 7 years ago, good size, cut, etc... Since helping with the war effort overseas, and my back problems, I lost the gym, and lost all my size, got skinny and pathetic...  :-)

So, I'm looking to get some size back.  I'd like to get size fast, so then I can get to a point where I'm just maintaining, and not having to kill myself in the gym.

Looking for a good routine to do for this.  I've been doing all body parts in one day, mixing it up with 16-20 reps lighter weight one week, and then doing 6-8 reps heavier weight the next.  But, I'm just in the gym too damn long! 

Help me get big, lol

Major respect for the Millitary Job.

#1 Guard that low back. Hammer Row and Pulldowns are very good. You will have to find WHAT DONT HURT IT.

Find a leg machine that seems best and use it. 
I'd minimize cardio and maximize good calories and rest/ recovery. A injury and a bit of age changes things. younger guys dont understand that.

2 days working out in a row is most I'd do. That, or even skip a day between workouts.

1.A day for legs. 2.A day for chest & delts and Triceps. 3.ANd a day for Back and Biceps.
I personaly believe in more recovery and short intense workouts as heavy as safely can.
Even if you skip a day between each workout, your hitting a bodypart once a week. Stretching it to even 10 days
after a good hard session will produce.

If you had a Barbell set at home, you could do Biceps or some Bench etc and squeeze it in at your convienence.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 02:21:06 AM »
if it takes 2,5 hours you do too many exercises and too many sets.

you should be able to get it down to 1-1,5 hours by focusing on some main exercises.
Z

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 04:57:13 AM »
I'm normally there for around 45-60min, any longer than that and i feel like I'm getting hungry  :P.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 08:30:21 AM »
I have made some of my best all over gains with brief, full body workouts. Using mainly the Big three: squats, BB rows and benches. 5 to 8 reps. The key word being, BRIEF. Three to five sets max on each exercise is the general rule.  Have also done 1 or 2 sets of heavy breathing squats of 20 to 30 reps. Three to eight deep breaths between reps. Followed by a compound back and chest exercise of two sets each. Neither workout took any more than 60 minutes, or so, to be done.

With regards to Shooo, an upper and lower body split one day a week may be rewarding for him. Keeping the limit on exercises and the time of the workout to just about an hour. GVT (10X10's) has worked well for quite a lot of men and can be used in a lower/upper body scheme for max results and time spent in a gym. GVT works best with the heavy compound exercises.

My best overall results, by far, when using GVT for upper body has been the DB pullover & press. Using that as the only upper body exercise in a workout.

Example

Tuesday...squats & calves...10X10's each exercise. Can't do squats, that try BB hacks (not the machine version) with the heels raised on a 2X4. Machines as a last resort. ( I had major lower back surgery (L-4) and rehabed with GoodMornings until the spine/back was up to doing heavy squating and DL'ing again)

Friday.....BB row & Dips (weighted)...10X10's each exercise. Use the BP if you wish, your choice.
My personal view (for what it's worth) is that weighted dips are a better all around upper movement for size and strength. Mainly for people who have used it with serious intent. Good alternative if you want to take a break from benching anyway.

Some will SS the exercises in GVT. Some white papers give evidence that SS'ing has been shown to give a better recovery time between training sessions. Good Luck. 
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 02:51:09 PM »
jpm, when will you accept a mod position on this board?

it's a no brainer

LENSNART

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 06:18:49 PM »
The original Westside guys trained twice a week at Westside in Culver City ( a double garage) though some trained at other places. Frenn was a thrower and worked weights 2 per week, and often more than 2 1/2 hours. When I did night school and had lectures at night twice per week plus large assignments I adopted the 2 day theory, Squats, rows, benches, SLDs (very heavy not hammy style,) incs BB, heavy dips,  usually just two pushing exercises and two leg lower back exercises, plus abs, arms occasionally. Went from 160lbs to 200lbs with a 32" waist, at 6 foot, and got some pretty good powerlifts.

Would I do it today, no way, I don't have to but then, no choice.

My son would not lift more than twice per week, he went from 100lbs at 13 with a 45lb bench to 180 at 17 and threw  shot at our ALL SCHOOLs nationals, against a guy now on our world champ team, set PL records etc on the way. If he would have trained differently would he have been better, probably , but did it work, ....well a lot of very big (300lbs) guys who threw lots of shot got beat by a small kid (5 foot 8") who picked it up a month before the comp each year. Oh yeah he would be considered slow, to normal in leg speed..

Will it work, if you beleive in it and use your head, no problem....hint lift very heavy and rest 3 mins per set, don't worry about heaps of sets, just lift heavy.

The_Crusher

• Getbig II
  • It's not a workout until you bust blood vessels
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 07:36:51 PM »

Help me get big, lol

"What would be your recommendation on a daily routine, if I split it up?  I could workout Monday/Tuesday  and then again Thursday/Friday..."

Just like you stated above: Monday - Chest / Delts ; Tuesday - Arms / Abs ; Wednesday - Off ; Thursday - Legs / Calves ; Friday - Back / Traps weekends off to recover No more then 6 sets on large body parts and 4 sets on small muscles groups. Total time in the gym 40 mins. Eat clean durning the day if possible.
Most important is get at least 3-4 chicken breasts in daily and sleep on a regular schedule every day. 10 hours or better is best. Good luck!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 09:43:18 PM »
With JPM on this one, full body workouts twice a week will work fantastic. Should take you 1-1.5 hrs if done right.

Fvck I posted on the training board again  >:(
follow the arrows

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 09:49:20 PM »

Fvck I posted on the training board again  >:(

and considering you're built like amy winehouse, I'm sure your advice is as good as gold around here too

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 03:09:56 AM »
You can speculate all you want about my physique geo, but we've all seen your pics. You're like the stupid guy who spoke. Oh yes you did  ;D

nah, geo's just old an rickety