Author Topic: "Pushups are as good as benches if progressive resistance is used."  (Read 7151 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Discuss.

Z

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: "Pushups are as good as benches if progressive resistance is used."
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:19:20 AM »
no

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:23:29 AM »
Probably even better than bench press IF used with progressvie resistance.
follow the arrows

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:25:33 AM »
Discuss.

absoltley not....

but wicked truth...my left shoulder is fucked off from flyes

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 11:27:41 AM »
absoltley not....

but wicked truth...my left shoulder is fucked off from flyes

Say what?!?! What do you mean it's fucked up?

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 11:50:57 AM »
Discuss.

Most kids start benching before they can do proper pushups, like running before you can walk.  Pushups with a weight vest, plate on your back, handstand pushups, ring pushups....

Now, it's not an ideal mass builder but it's great for functional uses in Football, Rugby, Hockey or any other sport where you need to get up off the ground fast.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 11:54:23 AM »
Say what?!?! What do you mean it's fucked up?

man my left ant delt is in major pain, hella sore and sharp when deeper in the movement...couldnt work with dumbbells today. Im doing something wrong with flyes

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 11:57:24 AM »
man my left ant delt is in major pain, hella sore and sharp when deeper in the movement...couldnt work with dumbbells today. Im doing something wrong with flyes

LOL ya think! How deep are you going with those things? til your shoulders pop outta socket!?  ;D seriously though...did you try the grip I told you to use?

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 11:58:47 AM »

Well - STOP DOING THEM ;D
Dude, you got muscle most guys will NEVER have. Find another movement!
I dont think you gona melt down to bones overnight Big Guy 8)

Cant work it if its hurt. Specialize on legs if need leave upper body for a spell..

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 12:03:52 PM »
LOL ya think! How deep are you going with those things? til your shoulders pop outta socket!?  ;D seriously though...did you try the grip I told you to use?

well its like i use the 70s because i cant feel shit with the lighter weight...man bottom line. i read the PM like 20 times but im really a visual guy. I actually need someone to actually be there and help with the movement and show me what im doing wrong.       

Well - STOP DOING THEM ;D
Dude, you got muscle most guys will NEVER have. Find another movement!
I dont think you gona melt down to bones overnight Big Guy 8)

Cant work it if its hurt. Specialize on legs if need leave upper body for a spell..

Thanks man. I feel you. I was thinking about skipping chest next week and hoping that helps out. I did this before in like 03. I stopped for like a month. I aint doin that at all again

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 01:08:50 PM »
Nah when I still did judo I did an enormous number of different kinds of push ups every training session and not much happened to my pecs.
What does work is getting some one to lie on your back when you do push ups, the higher the person lies on your back the more resistance.

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 05:53:23 PM »
I do pushups one day out of the week.  weighted and decline pushups.  It works good in a chest routine.  pushups alone wont really do much but if you add them with bench or flys it will work.  I use to just train chest with only bench and flys.  Then added different types of pushups weighted/regular/decline..ect.  I can flex my chest better and control it better when posing.  Pushups are probably not as good as bench or dumbell flys but they shouldn't be left out. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2007, 09:36:11 PM »
Pushups are very similar to benches; what most don't seem to understand is that the difference is the amount of resistance possible, not the ROM.

Interesting how few realize this is the main difference.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2007, 09:39:10 PM »

Thanks man. I feel you. I was thinking about skipping chest next week and hoping that helps out. I did this before in like 03. I stopped for like a month. I aint doin that at all again

Stop whatever exercise is causing this until better, then find out for sure what's causing it. Could be the exercise, could be the form, could be the use of barbell instead of dumbbell, etc. Find out, then avoid like the plague do not work thru it.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2007, 09:43:02 PM »
Discuss.

Someone starting a thread should be the first to provide input including a rationale behind an opinion.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2007, 10:12:30 PM »
well its like i use the 70s because i cant feel shit with the lighter weight...man bottom line. i read the PM like 20 times but im really a visual guy. I actually need someone to actually be there and help with the movement and show me what im doing wrong.       

Wrong way

Right way
&mode=related&search=
:

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2007, 10:30:06 PM »
Wrong way

Right way

They're both the same video, both wrong. The idea is to to bend the arms to take pressure off the shoulders.

Secondly, any form suggested by someone else is only a guide: use it but then find a comfortable groove that works for you rather than a ROM based only on someone else who isn't doing it.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2007, 10:34:08 PM »
They're both the same video, both wrong. The idea is to to bend the arms to take pressure off the shoulders.

whoops, sorry -
fixed
:

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2007, 10:40:19 PM »

whoops, sorry -
fixed

This is a little better, but he leaves out mention of a few things:

-Elbows should be bent, as he's doing.

-It's not necessarily only a secondary exercise.

-No need to bring the bells to the top.

-Palms do not have to be facing one another.

-He's not following his own advice by going slow. Not that important IMO.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2007, 10:41:17 PM »
Pretty much perfect form and major size builder with or without benches:

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2007, 02:59:24 AM »
Pushups are very similar to benches; what most don't seem to understand is that the difference is the amount of resistance possible, not the ROM.

Interesting how few realize this is the main difference.

The difference makes all the difference. Otherwise there would be lots of people who had great chest development and overall strength from doing pushups. There isn't.

So saying pushups is as good as benches is a pointless comment as it's not practical and realistic. To say it's "apples and oranges" like it makes no difference which one to use, that it's just a matter of choice, is bullshit.
Z

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 03:39:59 AM »
Pretty much perfect form and major size builder with or without benches:

If flys are such a major size builder, it's funny that not a single bodybuilder seems to put them first in their chest workout. Putting them third (as Arnold did) seems to be the norm. Maybe they agree with Max-OT's observation:

"Flat dumbbell flys are not a very efficient exercise for maximum muscle stimulation. Flat dumbbell flys are an isolation exercise and they limit the amount of overload you can use. Compound exercises like flat dumbbell presses are much more effective for muscular strength and development. "
Z

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 11:09:16 AM »
If flys are such a major size builder, it's funny that not a single bodybuilder seems to put them first in their chest workout. Putting them third (as Arnold did) seems to be the norm. Maybe they agree with Max-OT's observation:

"Flat dumbbell flys are not a very efficient exercise for maximum muscle stimulation. Flat dumbbell flys are an isolation exercise and they limit the amount of overload you can use. Compound exercises like flat dumbbell presses are much more effective for muscular strength and development. "

Few if any top BB of the last 4 decades have relied on max-ot's expertise to build physiques LOL that's only one source yet bluto here apparently believes that makes it irrifutable.

Still waiting for the author of this thread to himself offer a convincing argument for benches over pushups, without which his expertise on any training matter is thrown into serious question. Not googling for more quotes from other sources.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2007, 11:21:23 AM »
Probably even better than bench press IF used with progressvie resistance.

The only real problem would be stress on the wrists, but there are pushup bars/handles available.

Other than that, I agree.
As empty as paradise

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2007, 12:46:55 PM »
Few if any top BB of the last 4 decades have relied on max-ot's expertise to build physiques LOL that's only one source yet bluto here apparently believes that makes it irrifutable.

But they don't rely on an anonymous nobody from NY with a Bowflex either do they?  ;D Only source? Looks to me like pretty much every single bodybuilder and trainer all over the world disagrees that flys is a "major size builder" adding the Max-OT quote was just icing on the cake, bringing yet a qualified opinion and a logical reasoning.

The evidence is overwhelming.

Still waiting for the author of this thread to himself offer a convincing argument for benches over pushups, without which his expertise on any training matter is thrown into serious question. Not googling for more quotes from other sources.[/b]

How about there's not a single person in the world that made an impressive chest doing push ups alone? Apparantely adding enough resistance is a MAJOR problem and like I said it's neither realistic or practical.

If that's not a convincing argument for benches over pushups I don't know what is.
Z