Author Topic: tread mill  (Read 2192 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
tread mill
« on: August 27, 2007, 04:55:03 AM »
looking to buy one any suggestions
DAWG

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: tread mill
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 12:05:39 PM »
Don't be fooled by horse power ratings.  What you want to look for is CHP not HP rating. That's continuous horse power rating.  You might see a treadmill that rates itself at 2.0 hp when it only has a CHP rating of 1.0 hp. 

You need at least 2.0 for a running treadmill.  2.75  CHP is what I recommend.  Good treadmills cost a lot.  Cheap treadmills break and feel like junk to run on.  Maybe walking is okay but you can instantly tell the difference when running.

You might be able to find a usable cheap treadmill for around $700-$800 but I doubt it.  One of the original running treadmills is Pacemaster.  They have a model that sells in stores for about $1700.  Another good brand is True. I own the cheapest one and it cost about $1800.  Lastly if you can afford it is Landice.  They are expensive.  All brands can have problems even the best mentioned.  You can put the odds in your favor though by buying quality. 

Don't be confused by treadmills talking about how fast they can go.  In general they all have the same speed claims.  My treadmill goes up to a 6 minute mile.  The incline goes up to 12 degrees. 

Also don't think you need a display board that looks like the control panel for a space ship.  Keep it simple.  You need a speed button and an incline.  My True model shows you running around a simulated quarter mile track that is the standard distance for Track.  You need to change between miles per hour and how many minutes it takes to run a mile.  No one in track says they are going for a 10 MPH run pace.  You will hear let's keep it at a 8 minute mile pace.  MPH is meaningless for serious runner.  It's a nice feature to have both on a machine.

Most guys using a treadmill on this site don't give a damm about running but just want to get ripped by doing cardio.  If you see yourself just fast walking on a incline a cheap  one might work.  If you like to run regular spent the money.  Walking fast on a treadmill on an incline is tough work. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:58:49 PM »
awesome post oldtimer

the only thing i would add is to make sure you get a treadmill that can accomodate your weight, if you are above 200lbs ensure that you can find a treadmill that can hold at least 250lbs... always give yourself a 50lb buffer.

oh... never use it on carpets.

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »
awesome post oldtimer

the only thing i would add is to make sure you get a treadmill that can accomodate your weight, if you are above 200lbs ensure that you can find a treadmill that can hold at least 250lbs... always give yourself a 50lb buffer.

Any special reason about not using it on carpets?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:09:13 PM »
looking to buy one any suggestions

Call your local Y and maybe a few other gyms and find out where they get their equipment.  Those places often times take in commercial trades and refurb them....

Any special reason about not using it on carpets?

Probably because it would ruin the carpet & the carpet fibers (dust) would accumulate underneath the TM and within all the mechanisms :-\

:

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:15:25 PM »
Oh i see, i thought it was something related with security and i was worried because mine is actually inside a room, with carpet.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »
awesome post oldtimer

Not much in this post. I'd like to know where the "50 lb. buffer" theory came from LOL Go ahead, let us know where you got that.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2007, 03:50:34 AM »

Not much in this post. I'd like to know where the "50 lb. buffer" theory came from LOL Go ahead, let us know where you got that.

i got it from experience. unlike you i know about many aspects of training from experience

i have owned 3 treadmills in my young life and it has been my experience that buying a treadmill with a 200lb capacity for a 200lb man is a back idea because the forces generated by running on it can vary by runner (ie. your step high; how hard you "stomp")

buying a treadmill with at least a 50 lb buffer is just a better investment, personally i bought a $4500 treadmill the last time because I was tired of have the motor repaired on my previous model (it was used).

you get what you pay for

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2007, 05:47:21 AM »

i got it from experience. unlike you i know about many aspects of training from experience

i have owned 3 treadmills in my young life and it has been my experience that buying a treadmill with a 200lb capacity for a 200lb man is a back idea because the forces generated by running on it can vary by runner (ie. your step high; how hard you "stomp")

buying a treadmill with at least a 50 lb buffer is just a better investment, personally i bought a $4500 treadmill the last time because I was tired of have the motor repaired on my previous model (it was used).

you get what you pay for

You see with a little prodding this one can actually put words together. This is better, more in line with my own previous contributions on this subject.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 06:56:40 PM »

Call your local Y and maybe a few other gyms and find out where they get their equipment.  Those places often times take in commercial trades and refurb them....

bad idea.  They don't refurb anything other than the obvious broken piece.  Replacing parts on old commercial units cost an arm & a leg....then when you replace one part...another one is bound to go soon or later

Probably because it would ruin the carpet & the carpet fibers (dust) would accumulate underneath the TM and within all the mechanisms :-\

There's not alot of evidence to support this

No problem with a machine on carpeting.  Just put a mat underneath it.  The deck will eventually loose composites & will roll off & go on the carpet.  A mat will prevent this.  Fibers being pulled into the motor from the bottom is a very rare circumstance.  If using a mat....it will make you feel more assured....if that sort of thing concerns you.

Everything oldtimer said is spot on.

List of good treadmills:

Landice
True
Precor
Life Fitness
Pace Master

Go to http://www.treadmilldoctor.com/

It will walk you through & recommended treadmills for your needs.  It will advice you what to look for, & what to stay away from.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 02:59:34 AM »
No problem with a machine on carpeting.  Just put a mat underneath it.  The deck will eventually loose composites & will roll off & go on the carpet.  A mat will prevent this.  Fibers being pulled into the motor from the bottom is a very rare circumstance.  If using a mat....it will make you feel more assured....if that sort of thing concerns you.

you seem to be right... i do have a good mat, i thought it was most useful for eliminating fibers and dust... but it seems that eliminating vibration is the important part:

http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Importance-of-Treadmill-Mats?&id=30728

One important accessory that you will want to get with your new treadmill is a good treadmill mat. If you are not sure of what a treadmill mat is, then let's take a minute and examine this.

A treadmill is going to vibrate when in use and since it is sitting directly on your floor, there will be loud noises and constant vibrations each time your treadmill is used if there are not proper mats under them.

These mats will maintain your floors and carpets, minimize vibrations, and reduce the annoying noises that may come from using your treadmill. More times than not these mates are made out of some sort of rubber or cellular vinyl type of byproduct.

A treadmill mat of good quality can deliver many benefits to your treadmill and your floor. The first is that it does protect your flooring and carpet.

As expensive or inexpensive as your treadmill may have been, chances are that your hardwood floor or carpet under the treadmill will cost three or four times than your treadmill to replace if damaged.

These mats also aid in reducing the numbers of dust and carpet fibers in the air. Without the mat, the vibrations discharged by the treadmill will dislodge any loose fibers in the carper, which include the dust that might be tucked away within the carpet.

One of the biggest benefits from using these mats is that it has the potential to prolong the life of your treadmill by dampening the vibrations that are emitted from the usage of the treadmill.

The vibrations caused from your treadmill can possibly make your treadmill work harder and cause a shaking to it that will gradually over time reduce the shelf life of your machine. They are very effective at reducing the amount of noise that is created when your treadmill is on.

If you have ever heard a treadmill without a mat under it, it might sound kind of like an airplane taking off, it is that loud.

Treadmill mats are relatively inexpensive for the amount of headache and money that can be saved in the long term from them. The prices of these mats is somewhere between $25 and $50 depending on what type you decide that you are going to purchase.

This is a small amount to considering the total amount that could be saved in the long term from not protecting your machine and having to purchase another.

JasonWojo

• Getbig II
  • True Protein Athlete
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 07:21:53 AM »
I got a treadmill a few years ago and I've been very happy with it.  I'm a over-researcher when I buy something and got a Horizon Fitness from Dicks.  It was about $900.  IMO you don't need a gym-quality treadmill in your house b/c it's not going to be getting that kind of constant use.  If you can afford it then go ahead, but I think you can find some good ones for about 1K. 

I think it's a CST4 and has a 2.5 HP continuous duty motor, up to 12 mph and 12 incline (neither of which I'll ever use so don't bother with this feature), 300lb limit, wide tread belt, fan, nice cushioned deck, and a 15 yr warranty on the motor.  The HR monitor sucks though. 

Can't beat the conveniance of having a TM in your house.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
Horizon is a good manufacture

It's made by a company called Johnson Metals in China.  Johnson metals puts out pretty good quality & has one of the most state of the art manufacturing facilities in China.  They also put out another good cardio line called Vision Fitness which favors well in the Consumer Reports industry.  They also put out a commercial line called Matrix.  A friend of mine used to design/develop the commercial treadmills for Matrix.

In regards to the mat...yes it will help relieve some vibration & helps to deter noise from the floor.

Honestly...they're usually a $30-$40 investment & can't hurt to have.  Especially if your on a nice hardwood floor, etc..

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 05:49:17 AM »
eat less...a lot cheaper than a treadmill

just kidding..actually I saw this thing on TV once..it was a cross between a treadmill and a stairmaster

basically it had 2 paths that moved up and down independently..you could also set the 2 paths at the same height to simulate a standard treamil or move up and down independently to be a stepper/stairmaster

I forget the name..maybe someone here knows of it..that would be a great investment..probably cost thousands though
Here comes the money shot

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 02:11:31 PM »
it's a treadmaster by bowflex... i tried one at fitness depot once, it was tough

Paul Allen

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 12:42:36 PM »
i just got an apex 6000 by nordictrack (well, not yet, it's coming in tomorrow).

if you go to nordictrack.com, they have it at factory closeout for 899, with lifetime warranty on motor and i believe parts.

also, as someone mentioned, the treadmilldoctor.com site gave it a 5/5 for value and quality for running (they rate treadmills for running and walking).

i think it's the beast deal i could find for the money.

just like with everything else, you get what you pay for, but it doesn't hurt to shop around.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 12:50:32 PM »
nice.... did you get a mat for the floor? :)

Paul Allen

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 01:04:37 PM »
nice.... did you get a mat for the floor? :)

nope, but i definitely am after reading this thread   ;D